Sony have dodged a bullet

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I really don't see Starfield being a bigger hitter than Spider-man.

Especially without the PS console base supporting it with sales.

Well.

Spider-man will be a huge money maker for Sony.

I also think that Starfield will leave decades long impressions on the industry. Microsoft bought that game away from consumers. It’s unfortunate.

But consoles do well without Zelda for instance.

They’re also catering to their fanbase where they can with the final fantasy partnerships with two of those games within a year’s time. It is what it is. Fans are happy for their favorite rpg somewhere…

I would prefer Starfield over spider-man or ff16 tbh but I don’t support Microsoft. 🤣

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Ass of Can Whooping

9 Jul 2022
Sony can't do a game like Awowed or Fable even if their life depended on it. They better stick to cover shooters with nice cutscenes or Ubisoftian stuff.

Naughty dog should have developed a Witcher 3 killer after TLOU2 but they clearly don't have what it takes to develop an AAA RPG.

Are you expecting Fable to be any deeper an RPG than Horizon?

24 Jun 2022
I really don't see Starfield being a bigger hitter than Spider-man.

Especially without the PS console base supporting it with sales.

Can't see in what universe Starfield is a harder hitter than Spiderman 2. One's a brand new IP, the other is one of the biggest sequels to one of the biggest games from the past few years based on the most popular fictional character in the world. Starfield should be thanking the gods Spiderman 2's release date is a month later.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sony will get to take their shots at GaaS pretty much for free since MS can't keep up with what Sony already has announced. I expect their GaaS push to flop hard.

SSM, ND, Sucker Punch, Asobi, etc, have all the time in the world apparently and it's easier than ever for Sony to score some major exclusives now that games barely sell on Xbox.

Sony could be doing a lot better and I don't like Bungie's influence or these new GaaS studios but Xbox is not a threat to Sony in any way at this point.

My hope now is that Nintendo's new hardware is somewhat decent and will get them most multiplataform games so that Sony feels the need to support PlayStation more.
Same old shit. Xbox fails to compete every year, shows no gameplay every year, downgrades on previous cinematic trailers every year. And Xbox fanboys suck them off

Glad the PS fanbase has a bit of integrity asking for better
Xbox is like that sport team that only "wins" the off-season.

Last edited:

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Cyberpunk did like 20 million. Starfield is a significantly bigger and more important release than cyberpunk. .

Don’t kid yourselves. Game is gonna be huge and hang around for years.

• haha
Reactions: anonpuffs

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Well.

Spider-man will be a huge money maker for Sony.

I also think that Starfield will leave decades long impressions on the industry. Microsoft bought that game away from consumers. It’s unfortunate.

But consoles do well without Zelda for instance.

They’re also catering to their fanbase where they can with the final fantasy partnerships with two of those games within a year’s time. It is what it is. Fans are happy for their favorite rpg somewhere…

I would prefer Starfield over spider-man or ff16 tbh but I don’t support Microsoft. 🤣
I don't "support" MS either, but I would play Starfield if I wanted to. I already have Game Pass through 2025. I just don't think it looks like it will be interesting to actually play. The dialogue sounded horrific, the NPCs looked worse than what you can experience in some PS2 games (Silent Hill 3 characters come across better than Starfield) and Im just not interested in mowing people down in a first person view anymore. Doesn't matter if it's in space. It just all looked like dork stuff to me.

Now I thought the vistas and some of the city designs looked really great. Music sounded cool, and usually that's enough for me to to want to try something but time is just too valuable at this point to waste it on things I've seen and done before by and large.

Anyway, my actual biggest take away from he day is that the games industry as a whole feels kind of "in trouble" (we are seeing VERY little new from anyone) and I'm starting to suspect things inside Sony aren't going very well after seeing that Naughty Dog dude's tweets.

All of that is fine though. I don't need to be spending much time playing these days really.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I don't "support" MS either, but I would play Starfield if I wanted to. I already have Game Pass through 2025. I just don't think it looks like it will be interesting to actually play. The dialogue sounded horrific, the NPCs looked worse than what you can experience in some PS2 games (Silent Hill 3 characters come across better than Starfield) and Im just not interested in mowing people down in a first person view anymore. Doesn't matter if it's in space. It just all looked like dork stuff to me.

Now I thought the vistas and some of the city designs looked really great. Music sounded cool, and usually that's enough for me to to want to try something but time is just too valuable at this point to waste it on things I've seen and done before by and large.

Anyway, my actual biggest take away from he day is that the games industry as a whole feels kind of "in trouble" (we are seeing VERY little new from anyone) and I'm starting to suspect things inside Sony aren't going very well after seeing that Naughty Dog dude's tweets.

All of that is fine though. I don't need to be spending much time playing these days really.

I mean it looks like a Bethesda game on next gen.

I know I just don’t have the time for these giant games. I stop playing for a few days and I forget wtf I was going. It then takes me 5 years to beat them. It’s too much. Maybe in a few years I’ll play it

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Cyberpunk did like 20 million. Starfield is a significantly bigger and more important release than cyberpunk. .

On PC and Xbox alone, when you get it with Game Pass? I really doubt it.

• haha
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Are you expecting Fable to be any deeper an RPG than Horizon?

Horizon is an RPG? Remember that bars filling up and XP numbers increasing do not make an RPG these days. Every single AAA game has that.

Sony big AAA releases are Ubisoftian action adventure with some extra polish. That star wars outlaws game might as well be a Sony first party release.

Thats Sony's first party weakness. ND for all the great characters they create and great cutscenes they have, have not followed their next obvious step which was releasing a big RPG. Instead they went with a GAAS. What are they going to offer next? A sad dad cover shooter? That stuff is getting long in the tooth.

And I'd say it for MS as well. I don't want a 6th gears game. Put that franchise to sleep.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Vertigo

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

So was Halo Infinite right?

It looks like just another TES/Fallout.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
On PC and Xbox alone, when you get it with Game Pass? I really doubt it.

Unit sales won’t be a valid metric for Starfield. Neither will revenue since it’ll hemorrhage most of its budget because gamespass sells it for a rental fee. That’s a Ms problem.

10s of millions will play this game. No doubt. I see it surpassing Skyrim. Starfield isn’t going anywhere for a long long time.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I mean it looks like a Bethesda game on next gen.

I know I just don’t have the time for these giant games. I stop playing for a few days and I forget wtf I was going. It then takes me 5 years to beat them. It’s too much. Maybe in a few years I’ll play it
I actually thought it looked like a Bethesda game on last gen.

They showed very little actual direct capture gameplay. It was a hell of a lot of cinematic angles and "in engine" footage. I really just wanted to see someone sit down and play the game for like ten minutes. That's all please? You could easily do that for a game like Horizon FW, or Zelda TotK and have it be imminently watchable.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven

EDIT: Nevermind, you weren't talking strictly about sales.