Sony have no marketing organisation and it's hurting them

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
More than anything this seems to be a major issue

We see this on the consumer end with sporadic content drops, big announcements being blog posts, PSVR2 state of play earlier in the year being AFTER launch. It's been this way ever since the Jim takeover

But I think it must be even more of a mess on the inside

Today they showed up to the Showcase with gameplay for only 2 games, both of which release in the next few months. These weren't vertical slices, they were basically showings from the near completed product

There was no organisation to have vertical slices ready for FairGame$, Concord, Marathon. At best it seems like Sony decided to have a showcase fairly recently and rolled out some thrown together CG Or internal marketing material from these games. Incompetence here has basically thrown these games under the bus

Naughty Dog missed the boat, nothing from Cory, Sucker Punch etc. And the reason is because Sony is not demanding them to be ready with something to show with 6-12 months notice. These teams are capable of doing so because we have seen them do it all throughout the last gen

Just compare third parties to Sony's first party for this showcase to see the difference

Sony was so lacking in their own content they had to chuck in a Gran Turismo movie trailer FFs

Bring back Shawn Layden, this guy knew marketing like the back of his hand because that's his background. He could set a marketing roadmap that hyped players through the entire generation. Bring back Adam Boyes getting exciting third party partnerships rolling. Bring back Shu to head of first party, having them humming like clockwork and focusing on GOTY quality games

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Didn't they lay off a bunch of marketing people at the start of the gen?

OP
OP
Yobo

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Looking at sales numbers yes, its Hurting them..
Riding the cost rails of their predecessors

We saw today for the first time the vision of the future for games commissioned in the Herman era and it's not looking good

Combine that with the poor marketing and these things will start adding up. Reputations last only as long as you maintain them

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Riding the cost rails of their predecessors

We saw today for the first time the vision of the future for games commissioned in the Herman era and it's not looking good

Combine that with the poor marketing and these things will start adding up. Reputations last only as long as you maintain them
My man what a bunch of flipant nonsense

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
This is true. We're in the minority here. Us, the people commenting on youtube and twitter.

The show itself had 2.6 million viewers. Casuals won;t care about this. They see fun games. And the brand keeps growing.
Thats the Point, the. Show was dope for normal user, gamers tend to be hiperbolic

Arminius

19 May 2023
Jim Ryan is good on the financial end of things and making deals. He’s horrible when it comes to handling PR and marketing.

Reactions: Bryank75

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Thats the Point, the. Show was dope for normal user, gamers tend to be hiperbolic
We aren't normies here, we are the hardcore audience that has sky high standards. Normies like bullshit like fortnite. If playstation wants to cater to those normies cool, I'll just not buy the ps6 and go back to PC gaming.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
We aren't normies here, we are the hardcore audience that has sky high standards. Normies like bullshit like fortnite. If playstation wants to cater to those normies cool, I'll just not buy the ps6 and go back to PC gaming.
6/10 on the hipérbole scale

I will tell you something, in been in gaming since the late seventies, i have played pc simulators, complex estrategy games with hexagons and turns, everything, and i play fornite too, so this miopic way of thinking about "normies" and we the "hardcore elite" its Just plain nonsense

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
My man what a bunch of flipant nonsense
The way some of you on this site are so passive aggressive towards anything that doesn't fit your POV.

This should have been a state of Play. It would have gone over better. They kept hyping this and came with nothing, even Spiderman looked rough.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
The way some of you on this site are so passive aggressive towards anything that doesn't fit your POV.

This should have been a state of Play. It would have gone over better. They kept hyping this and came with nothing, even Spiderman looked rough.
Im not passive homie, im a fucking exocet missile towards bulshitters

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
More than anything this seems to be a major issue

We see this on the consumer end with sporadic content drops, big announcements being blog posts, PSVR2 state of play earlier in the year being AFTER launch. It's been this way ever since the Jim takeover

But I think it must be even more of a mess on the inside

Today they showed up to the Showcase with gameplay for only 2 games, both of which release in the next few months. These weren't vertical slices, they were basically showings from the near completed product

There was no organisation to have vertical slices ready for FairGame$, Concord, Marathon. At best it seems like Sony decided to have a showcase fairly recently and rolled out some thrown together CG Or internal marketing material from these games. Incompetence here has basically thrown these games under the bus

Naughty Dog missed the boat, nothing from Cory, Sucker Punch etc. And the reason is because Sony is not demanding them to be ready with something to show with 6-12 months notice. These teams are capable of doing so because we have seen them do it all throughout the last gen

Just compare third parties to Sony's first party for this showcase to see the difference

Sony was so lacking in their own content they had to chuck in a Gran Turismo movie trailer FFs

Bring back Shawn Layden, this guy knew marketing like the back of his hand because that's his background. He could set a marketing roadmap that hyped players through the entire generation. Bring back Adam Boyes getting exciting third party partnerships rolling. Bring back Shu to head of first party, having them humming like clockwork and focusing on GOTY quality games
Jim Ryan literally was the head of marketing before being CEO

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The whole secrecy thing is stupid, show us that you get interesting stuff in the pipeline or gtfo.

Sony has had terrible communication for a many years now and now it also seems they are out of touch and not valuing what they have. The chase for GaaS at the cost of quality single player output is going to destroy them.

PS5 is just a branded PC with less optimization issues and where you get to play some very few select games in advance.

Reactions: Umar

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It is weird that they rolled out Concord with literally nothing to show. Its a new IP from a no-name studio so they can't lean on those. At this point why should learning the title's name make anyone care? Fwiw, I do detect a hint of greatness there in the design style of the logo and warp-in graphics. But its status as GaaS also immediately saps my interest, and makes me ask what differentiates it from Destiny or Marathon, which I know will be good? Or from various other competitor games. As far as we can tell, nothing. If you were just to go by the trailer you wouldn't even know what genre it was. That one, at least, was mishandled.

Last edited: