Sony have no plan to release any major (established) franchise titles this year (April 2024- March 2025)

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
A significant number of game releases already work with one button within SteamDeck.
We're talking about a gaming pc here.

Steam Deck is basically a home console system in almost every way down to the proprietary OS and hardware subsidization.

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
Funny that you say it's vastly worse but I can change from my 1080p monitor to my 4K screen that is right besides it with my PS5 and it's very comparable. It's not like the PS5 is rendering all demanding games at 4K/60fps. If the game is not demanding there is nothing stopping you from playing on 4K as well. I can connect to a 4K TV an upscale too if I want, I just don't feel any need to do so.

According to Steam statistics about 60% of Steam players still use 1080p displays, 4K displays are at less than 4% barely far bellow 1440p. Clearly many PC players do not see 4K as something that will give them a good return (anyone that actually gets to configure their games unlike console players will understand the massive impact on performance and how 4K/60fps is not something worth chasing). If you want higher resolutions buy a more powerful GPU, there is no magic to it, neither on PC nor on consoles. If you want an OLED monitor or TV you need to buy one, your PS5 didn't come with an OLED screen either.
I mean worse in aspects that aren't just confined to resolution (you pick your own resolution anyhow with both Monitors or TVs). What I am talking about primarily are things like TN bad colors or IPS glow. The quality of most panels used in monitors is just vastly inferior to TVs for some reason.

OLED is the 1st time you can genuinely say that monitors and TVs are sort of at the same level in terms of image and panel quality, but OLED is still expensive for the majority of consumers sadly.

A lot of the arguments I see here would also imply that back in the day PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 were also vastly worse to PC. PC players had resolutions above HD while console player were dealing with 240i and 480i. It's obvious how biased people are here, all that matters it's whatever the PlayStation is offering at that exact moment anything else is stupid and for losers, if PlayStation changes their tune people will then adapt and contradict themselves if needed.

I never said there is no point to a console (why would I own a PS5 if I believed that?), my only point it's that is completely viable to play on a budget PC. The PS5 itself is not that different from a 2024 budget PC anyway. A budget PC also has a very convenient upgrade path and it's a great starting point for someone not used to playing on PC.
PS1/2 and earlier were just so different to PCs in terms of architecture that it's basically an apples and gorillas comparison so won't bother.

PS3/XB360 era is when Sony kept on doing their own thing arch-wise, but MS went with an arch that's similar to what PCs do, so they managed to gain an edge through superior ports of games that are nominally PC-based (that had effects later on imo because Sony went with a similar idea during PS4), Sony had to basically fight for its life during that gen because publishers and devs started essentially unifying their PC/XBox development pipelines (and relying largely on DirectX, a massive MS win btw).

XB1/PS4 was vastly inferior to most PC builds, it's the generation where building a $400 PC would get you a genuinely vast performance jump for not much more money. That was a combination of relatively efficient hardware that was largely sold at decent prices, it was also the result of Sony and Xbox picking from what was a largely awful pile of AMD CPUs. That was peak PCMR imo and it was when I built my 1st PC.

But it's also the least inventive generation in terms of game design, with most games being essentially evolutions of PS3/XB360 fare. Nintendo were the only ones bringing any kind of creativity to the space in terms of game design and titles that surprise and delight the consumer.

PS5/XB Series era would have been fundamentally the same as PS4/XB1 because the underlying archs didn't change at all (hell, they are even having the same sales ratio lol) were it not for several problems:
  1. Nvidia going complete greed mode, they were helped out by non-gaming demand crazes like mining or AI in imposing exorbitant prices for their products.
  2. Chip shortage fucking over PC gamers the most (spilled over to console as well).
These issues are why PCs are no longer a "value" option. Making a PC that won't get obliterated by 2026/2027 AAA games is basically impossible at a budget level. A budget user is likely better advised to either save up for a non-budget PC and make a wise purchase or just keep on buying consoles every 4-6 years if they really want to keep up with the joneses, the lifetime value over 6-8 would likely be better.

It's funny that the idea of gaming on Linux is so offensive to some people here, they need to tell themselves it is shit to be able to sleep at night hugging their Windows and PS5. The fact that I play on Linux just means I'm ahead of the curve, Steam Deck users also play on Linux. Linux gaming along with VR are the two most exciting things happening when it comes to gaming plataforms these days.
Linux is not offensive to me at all, but the idea you have that it's just something that's simple and easy is just strange. If it was simple and easy then Microsoft would have likely gotten very fucked ages ago. It's improving yes, but rn it's still a niche computing situation.

PC gamers in general tend to hyper focus on their own situation and just assume that everyone else has the same issues and benefits.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Ill be kinda happy with Astrobot and Concord. Another 3rd party exclusive at the end of the year would be good too

Im guessing no Wolverine for 2025? Because of Venom.
But I am expecting:

Venom
Death Stranding 2
GOT 2 - it will have been 5 years since the first
Media Molecules game- 5 years too
London Studios - last game was 2019
HouseMarque’s game - last game 2021/Returnal
Naughty Dogs game ( only a small team was working on Factions 2)

And maybe if they were smart enough, Cory Balrogs game
Dunno about Bend, FireSprite, Bluepoint were wasting time on GOWR lol.

Sony really needs some more studios. AAA and AA

Last edited:

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
Linux is not offensive to me at all, but the idea you have that it's just something that's simple and easy is just strange. If it was simple and easy then Microsoft would have likely gotten very fucked ages ago. It's improving yes, but rn it's still a niche computing situation.
You really underestimate Microsoft's ability to sell through sheer propaganda and manipulation of costumer perceptions. The Xbox dividion also shoukd have been shut down 5 years ago at the very least.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Banana and Kokoloko

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

PC gamers in general tend to hyper focus on their own situation and just assume that everyone else has the same issues and benefits.

As somebody who regularly uses a Linux desktop, I don't believe a big percent of gamers are going to be using Ubuntu or Fedora or something anytime soon.

However, a dedicated gaming os like SteamOS is extremely easy to use. The fact that it is 'linux' under the hood is about as relevant as PS5 having 'bsd' under the hood. The user doesn't need to care, and that's a great thing.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
As somebody who regularly uses a Linux desktop, I don't believe a big percent of gamers are going to be using Ubuntu or Fedora or something anytime soon.

However, a dedicated gaming os like SteamOS is extremely easy to use. The fact that it is 'linux' under the hood is about as relevant as PS5 having 'bsd' under the hood. The user doesn't need to care, and that's a great thing.
What can one do on a normal windows computer that cant be done on linux?
Emulation? Mods on steam? Video game design? Old games?

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

Most people that aren't into Linux wouldn't be able to tell the difference between SteamOS and something like Fedora booting to Big Picture mode. SteamOS just comes with everything setup in a way that is a lot more presentable to someone that isn't used to Linux, there is nothing that special about the OS itself.

The biggest problems Linux gaming is facing right now is that many devs don't care if their games works or not in Linux and some devs are still hostile to Linux like Epic and Bungie. Some stuff like VR isn't there yet but everything is improving at an incredibly fast rate.

MS wants PC gaming to be forever held hostage by Windows and their APIs, I'm doing my part to move away from it.

I mean worse in aspects that aren't just confined to resolution (you pick your own resolution anyhow with both Monitors or TVs). What I am talking about primarily are things like TN bad colors or IPS glow. The quality of most panels used in monitors is just vastly inferior to TVs for some reason.

OLED is the 1st time you can genuinely say that monitors and TVs are sort of at the same level in terms of image and panel quality, but OLED is still expensive for the majority of consumers sadly.
Buying a TN, IPS, VA or OLED monitor is up to you and what you want same as it is when buying a TV.

Last edited:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a SteamOS and something like Fedora booting to Big Picture mode.

SteamOS just comes with everything setup, there is nothing that special about the OS itself.
"everything setup" is exactly the difference.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
do you think there's a difference between Windows and Playstation 5 right now?
Im wondering if Linux is a good replacement OS for windows on a PC. What can Windows do on PC that a Linux OS cant, serious question.

Can I still run stuff like Godot and Unreal engine without any issues.
Steam?
Adobe etc.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Most people that aren't into Linux wouldn't be able to tell the difference between SteamOS and something like Fedora booting to Big Picture mode.

SteamOS just comes with everything setup in a way that is a lot more presentable to someone that isn't used to Linux, there is nothing that special about the OS itself.

Buying a TN, IPS, VA or OLED monitor is up to you and what you want same as it is when buying a TV.
Can you have a dual system with both and maybe a hackintosh?

I only use my PC ( my brother gave me his old one ) to run eumlated games and mods on older pc games etc

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
"everything setup" is exactly the difference.
Yes and that is why I hope once Valve makes SteamOS easily available it will aging even more momentum.

The distro I use pretty much works for gaming out of the box but it took some time and effort for me to find it. The software solutions are already there, it's only a matter of convincing people to try something that works, is free, is secure and isn't going to be monitoring you incessantly

People ignore a lot of the fixes/configurations/compromises/problems they run into while using Windows simply because they are used to it, while on Linux they freak out and blame the OS for everything.

Last edited:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Im wondering if Linux is a good replacement OS for windows on a PC. What can Windows do on PC that a Linux OS cant, serious question.

Can I still run stuff like Godot and Unreal engine without any issues.
Steam?
Adobe etc.

I don't think it's so much about what Linux can do that Windows can't do. Linux is modifiable at all levels from the moment the bios boots the HDD. As a user you might not care about that. But for Valve making a gaming appliance, it's essential. If you're deploying an app on Windows, you only have control up to the point where Windows loads your app after login. Unacceptable for a console-type experience.

Specifically Godot works great on Linux. Unreal works, but isn't a first class citizen. Stuff like the Unreal asset store didn't work on the Linux version of the engine last I checked.

Adobe I have no clue.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Can you have a dual system with both and maybe a hackintosh?

I only use my PC ( my brother gave me his old one ) to run eumlated games and mods on older pc games etc
I'm not into mods but I assume modding Linux games isn't going to be as straight forward. I did manage to mod BG3 on Linux tho and it was rather easy to do (but took me some time to find how to do it as most guides were for Windows).

You can dual boot Windows and Linux rather easily, you usually just have to manually fix the system internal clock that Windows will mess up because of course MS couldn't simply be chill about it. There used to be a time when Windows also kept messing up your boot sequence but I think it doesn't happen anymore.

I don't think it's so much about what Linux can do that Windows can't do. Linux is modifiable at all levels from the moment the bios boots the HDD. As a user you might not care about that. But for Valve making a gaming appliance, it's essential. If you're deploying an app on Windows, you only have control up to the point where Windows loads your app after login. Unacceptable for a console-type experience.

Specifically Godot works great on Linux. Unreal works, but isn't a first class citizen. Stuff like the Unreal asset store didn't work on the Linux version of the engine last I checked.

Adobe I have no clue.
When I started to notice that many modern AAA games made for windows performed noticeably better on Linux it became more obvious than ever that Windows sucks and hopefully will die in the not so distant future. That is when I fully committed to Linux gaming.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I'm not into mods but I assume modding Linux games isn't going to be as straight forward. I did manage to mod BG3 on Linux tho and it was rather easy to do (but took me some time to find how to do it as most guides were for Windows).

You can dual boot Windows and Linux rather easily, you usually just have to manually fix the system internal clock that Windows will mess up because of course MS couldn't simply be chill about it. There used to be a time when Windows also kept messing up your boot sequence but I think it doesn't happen anymore.

When I started to notice that many modern AAA games made for windows performed noticeably better on Linux it became more obvious than ever that Windows sucks and hopefully will die in the not so distant future. That is when I fully committed to Linux gaming.
I probably use the mod for older games tbh. Thats what I do now.

I wonder if Linux can be on Steamdeck? Because Ill probably buy a Steamdeck 2.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I probably use the mod for older games tbh. Thats what I do now.

I wonder if Linux can be on Steamdeck? Because Ill probably buy a Steamdeck 2.
Every Steam Deck comes with Linux and you can enter desktop mode with ease.

Linux is better than Windows at handling old Windows games due to the nature of what Linux is doing to be able to run those games in the first place.

Reactions: J_Paganel

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Ill be kinda happy with Astrobot and Concord. Another 3rd party exclusive at the end of the year would be good too

Im guessing no Wolverine for 2025? Because of Venom.
But I am expecting:

Venom
Death Stranding 2
GOT 2 - it will have been 5 years since the first
Media Molecules game- 5 years too
London Studios - last game was 2019
HouseMarque’s game - last game 2021/Returnal
Naughty Dogs game ( only a small team was working on Factions 2)

And maybe if they were smart enough, Cory Balrogs game
Dunno about Bend, FireSprite, Bluepoint were wasting time on GOWR lol.

Sony really needs some more studios. AAA and AA
Remember Sony was talking about FY, so from April 2024 to March 2025.
  • Sony has 2nd party games like Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, Until Dawn, Convallaria or Lost Soul Aside to be released 2024
  • Cory took some long vacations after shipping GoW in April 2018, and after that worked in the pitch of a new IP, which we don't know if it got greenlighted and if they are working on it (I assume yes). Assuming the new IP got greenlighted early 2019, then an aprox. 2024-2028 release would fit. I assume that at least they will show it this year.
  • Team Asobi is working on a bigger game than the previous Team Asobi projects, an action platformer with humor (so pretty likely a bigger Astro, but could be another IP). They aren't a AAA team, so this game could be released in 2024 or later
  • London Studios should release their new IP somewhere between 2024-2028, yes.
  • Firesprite has multiple projects that we don't know where they started to work on them so could be released any day. One has car combat so can be Twisted Metal. Other one is a horror adventure, so maybe they are helping Balllistic Moon with the Until Dawn remaster/remake or even a VR version or a sequel.
  • The Horizon MP game was started to be developed in 2018 (it's when they rehired its game director), meaning could be released in 2024-2027. Horizon 3 would be released later, made by other team.
  • Death Stranding 2 is a 2025, if released in the first quarter would be included in that FY.
  • TLOU Online was he biggest ND project ever, so they couldn't have a small team working on it. They had a big team in ND, and even Bend did help them during some time. ND started to work on one of the SPs they have in the works months after shipping TLOU2, let's say late 2020-early 2021. That would mean a probable late 2025-2030 release. They have minimum a 2nd project tha strated somewhere in H1 2023 that obviously would release later.
  • I think Fairgame$ will be released in 2026. They started in 2021 but they are super productive
  • In addition to Destiny 2 and Marathon, Bungie has minimum one game more (probably Matter) that some time ago was considered to be maybe released before 2025. Add some delay, and in addition to Marathon in 2025, Bungie could release other game in 2025 or 2026.
  • I may be wrong but as I remember what the leaked Insomniac docs said was Wolverine 2026, Venom 2027.
  • Housemarque is working on a bigger game than Returnal, I'd say the'll release in 2026-2030.
  • After GoT Sucker Punch released the Legends mode in late 2020 and the Ikki Island + PS5 version in mid 2021, and since current gen AAA take 5-9 years I'd say it's more likely to see GoT2 being released 2026-2030.
  • Bend got their current new IP apparently greenlighted in 2021 after some time working in the pitch and supporting ND with TLOU Online and an Uncharted spinoff that we don't know if got cancelled or not. So it would make sense to be released around 2026-2030.
  • There's also new GoW and Gran Turismo titles in the works, but obviously will take time (maybe 2027-2031).
  • Media Molecule was supporing Dreams with post-launch support until recently, so maybe didn't start to work in their next game until just before stopping their work in Dreams. So I wouldnt expect something from them soon either specially considering they normally need a lot of time and that they chnged their management.
  • We know Bluepoint worked on GoWR and not Valhalla, pretty likely they are supporting some other new AAA game as they slowly grow (and maybe lead their own new game in the future once big enough).

Last edited:

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
You really underestimate Microsoft's ability to sell through sheer propaganda and manipulation of costumer perceptions. The Xbox dividion also shoukd have been shut down 5 years ago at the very least.
Xbox is definitely unsuccessful, but Windows remains a monopoly in almost every business or home for a reason.

What I'm saying is even if you compare panel tech and specs apples to apples, you'd still see that monitors are worse than TVs.

Like a VA TV will almost always win against a VA monitor in terms of color accuracy etc etc.

Banana

10 Jan 2023
One of the most amusing things in this thread is thr number of people who think vram is system ram.

Even double of that you still running into troubles. 4070 alone I think should be around 600 US Dollars, and a scalable CPU like 13600 should be around 300 USD. Those alone is already double of PS5. Adding other components and you will end up around 3 times time price of PS5 w/o disc drive. Don't forget pherhiprals like mouse, keyboard and controller.
4070 and 13600k will outperform the ps5 pro.

But I don't see the price argument. Go get a job. Most of you guys only have this as a hobby; it shouldn't be an issue for you.