Sony may have acquired Ballistic Moon - Rumor

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I honestly think Sony should poach the right talent of Bethesda and CDPR and open their own RPG studio. Would take a few years, but would be worth it if they could deliver a very good RPG with actual gameplay and graphical standards.
Bethesda is far too insular, working only with their custom engine for decades at this point, and CDPR doesn't really have any worthwhile talent, they're pretty pedestrian in terms of tech and product, and they have never created anything from the ground up in terms of writing.

• haha
Reactions: Zzero
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
How much of the 18 billion does Sony have left to spend?

We really don't know, especially since Jim came up with some interesting ways to stretch his dollars....

As you know he paid 2 billion up-front to Bungie but the last 1.6 billion comes from annual revenue that PlayStation division makes and is deducted as wages / bonuses.

So since the Bungie payments will end in a year or two, he could line up another acquisition and pay 3-5 billion and pay an additional 2-3 billion to retain talent in the long term.... and pay over 3+ years.

Plus, who knows how Sony upper management is taking the ABK / MSFT deal..... they could be more motivated to strike back or do something big.

But it's more unknown than you'd think, there are so many moving parts.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
How much of the 18 billion does Sony have left to spend?
As I remember, less than 7B. We don't know the exact amount because we don't know the acquisition cost of some acquisitions like Haven. And this butget is for the whole Sony, not only SIE. And not only for acquisitions, but also for investments.

The budget would be for the current and next year, but they could review it to increase it if desired. Or could use other cash & equivalents, loans etc. They aren't limited to the budget, but pretty likely they'll stick to it.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I firmly believe Jim isn't doing anymore acquisitions until the Activision thing falls through. Too many eyes on tech/gaming right now.
I keep seeing this being said, and it’s total playground bullshit.

Nothing Sony would be looking to buy is going to be anywhere near the size of Activision, and Sony isn’t the world’s biggest software company, which MS is.

Sony could buy a dozen small dev teams and startups today and it wouldn’t be impacted at all by the MS/Acti merger, nor would it impact that merger in any way with the regulators opposed to it.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

Nothing Sony would be looking to buy is going to be anywhere near the size of Activision, and Sony isn’t the world’s biggest software company, which MS is.

Sony could buy a dozen small dev teams and startups today and it wouldn’t be impacted at all by the MS/Acti merger, nor would it impact that merger in any way with the regulators opposed to it.

True but knowing Microsoft/AB, they will try to use it to get the deal to go through.

Heck they even used TLOU TV series as a reason.

Such is their desperation.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
We really don't know, especially since Jim came up with some interesting ways to stretch his dollars....

As you know he paid 2 billion up-front to Bungie but the last 1.6 billion comes from annual revenue that PlayStation division makes and is deducted as wages / bonuses.

So since the Bungie payments will end in a year or two, he could line up another acquisition and pay 3-5 billion and pay an additional 2-3 billion to retain talent in the long term.... and pay over 3+ years.

Plus, who knows how Sony upper management is taking the ABK / MSFT deal..... they could be more motivated to strike back or do something big.

But it's more unknown than you'd think, there are so many moving parts.
Ok I will tell you a secret, the graphic designers at Playstation are busy doing "welcome to the family" designs but it is not what everyone expects, it is small studios and mobile.
I've told this many times, Sony focus is buy small then expand because it is less risky.

MS though because they had money they can buy whatever they want. Sony is the oppose, carefully planning.
True but knowing Microsoft/AB, they will try to use it to get the deal to go through.

Heck they even used TLOU TV series as a reason.

Such is their desperation.
The current landscape of Microsoft is burning bridges and attack other companies, they have done it with Apple, Sony, Google, PC manufactors.

If anyone wants to understand MS, it is simple, they are reactive, they reacted to Apple tv - xbox one. Google, Netflix and Amazon meddling with gaming - trying to buy everything. etc

Anyway since MS reputation of destroying everything is very accurate, Zenimax and Activison are in trouble anyway.

D

Deleted member 417

You're right, but I wouldn't put it past MS to be total dicks about it. Better to line the purchases up and announce later, than making a big fuss in public now and have to deal with even one request from MS lawyers. It is not worth the hasle

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
You're right, but I wouldn't put it past MS to be total dicks about it. Better to line the purchases up and announce later, than making a big fuss in public now and have to deal with even one request from MS lawyers. It is not worth the hasle
Whether MS likes a move Sony makes or not doesn’t mean a thing.

Regulator actions aren’t triggered by competitor complaints primarily, they’re triggered by taking a look at the paperwork submitted for approval.

Sony most likely didn’t want the Bethesda deal to get done, but it was nothing to do with them, and nothing they did or didn’t do would have stopped it or made it happen.

Why do so many people not get that the regulatory bodies are not acting on the behalf of competitors, but on behalf of consumers?

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

It's not playground bullshit to think that 18 billion dollars of spend would during whatever window Jim Ryan said would definitely be noticed when MS and Sony just went through a heavily scrutinized legal battle. Unless you're dumb enough to think that Sony is going to buy hundreds of small startups and AA developers to reach that 18 billion number.

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Angie

Forum Veteran
5 Jul 2022
With Sony going for ips, who do you realistically think they go for?
Great question. No idea lol

But if I have to guess, and seeing previous deals, I would say that probably some conpany that want to expand their IPs outside of just gaming.

Bungie sold to Sony because of that, and now they even hired producers from Arcane, and even From sold 14% to Sony because of that same reason.

• Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Great question. No idea lol

But if I have to guess, and seeing previous deals, I would say that probably some conpany that want to expand their IPs outside of just gaming.

Bungie sold to Sony because of that, and now they even hired producers from Arcane, and even From sold 14% to Sony because of that same reason.
I think sony should formally invest in square and capcom, similar like how they did with from soft.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
With Sony going for ips, who do you realistically think they go for?
I don't think Capron/SE need the money anymore, and in case of SE, mainline Final Fantasy seems to be exclusive anyway. I don't think Sony need to buy FROM and others, as they still get their games/some exclusive games from them, or they already own the company partly.

Assuming Capcom aren't selling? WB, Rocksteady and NRS. Hopefully all of WB, and divvy-up media and gaming assets/talent amongst Sony and PS.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I don't think Capron/SE need the money anymore, and in case of SE, mainline Final Fantasy seems to be exclusive anyway. I don't think Sony need to buy FROM and others, as they still get their games/some exclusive games from them, or they already own the company partly.

Assuming Capcom aren't selling? WB, Rocksteady and NRS. Hopefully all of WB, and divvy-up media and gaming assets/talent amongst Sony and PS.
I said invest, not acquire. They need to do it more as a defense than anything else imo.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think sony should formally invest in square and capcom, similar like how they did with from soft.
Square mentioned that they are restructuring the company to turn their studios into subsidiary companies, in order to allow others buy stakes from them.

Sounds like instead of selling the company, they want to allow others like Sony (or other ones, like Tencent) to invest on specific Square studios without acquiring them or without acquiring the whole Square Enix.