Sony now own 14.1% of From Software (May be buying more)

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
The studio that released the most successful multi platform game this year, they want a piece of it.
Yeah, just think if they'd shown more foresight they could have bought a bigger share last gen and have them making more PS games.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I just dont get it.

Insert the meme of medal winner freaking out, but revealed as number 3 as TenCent is on number 2, equally as bewildered as the invested-in company as number 1.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Square Enix is definitely coming in November 2022. Pretty sure about it, no joke.

It's almost like who cares when FF was exclusive anyway? That was already in the bag, but compared to the opportunity cost of better leveraging Tomb Raider across games/media/brand goodwill, lisencing out likeness for Fortnite etc and putting more money in Sony's coffers, staging development/easing off crunch or IP staleness, Sony could book end a gen with a TR and an UC... And whatever other ip and dev talent went with it.

Although I recognise the importance of what SE has left, I find it almost rediculous they didn't sell/Sony didnt want the Western arm, and those IPs, as a bit of foreplay before the big buyout.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Wish Sony would just go and buy Kadokawa, Capcom, Squeenix and have a real IP war with MS. The fireworks would be intense AF.
Sony is like a cheap dude who asks for discounts at the flee market. Thats what it looks like if they are working on buying Square

Yep, need a publisher or 2 bought. Or actually FromSoft. I mean, its worth 1-3 billion? Come on Sony, spend that bank before all the good studios and IP’s have bene bought out
MS: Buys Minecraft, Bethesda, Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Activision and more in the future

Sony: Square can you shrink down so we can have rumours for a year of purchasing you and we’ll also buy 14% of Fromsoftware……

Sony should Spend your freaking money before all the best publishers and studios are bought
To buy companies is not like when you to and buy something in the store. That studio has to want to sell, and has to want to sell to you. Both parts also must agree a common strategy to follow after the acquisition that benefits both.

It's almost like who cares when FF was exclusive anyway? That was already in the bag, but compared to the opportunity cost of better leveraging Tomb Raider across games/media/brand goodwill, lisencing out likeness for Fortnite etc and putting more money in Sony's coffers, staging development/easing off crunch or IP staleness, Sony could book end a gen with a TR and an UC... And whatever other ip and dev talent went with it.

Although I recognise the importance of what SE has left, I find it almost rediculous they didn't sell/Sony didnt want the Western arm, and those IPs, as a bit of foreplay before the big buyout.
If Square gets bought by Sony I assume they'll continue having some of their games -at least console or timed- exclusive (but for PS, none of them for Nintendo or Xbox), some other will continue multiplatform day one including rival consoles to maximize their users reached and specially profitability.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
To buy companies is not like when you to and buy something in the store. That studio has to want to sell, and has to want to sell to you. Both parts also must agree a common strategy to follow after the acquisition that benefits both.
You say that like Sony haven't pissed away opportunities. Way back when, during or shortly after Sony were porting UMVC3 and footing the dev cost for SFV, Capcom's board of directors made some statement about entertaining buyout offers. This was well before Monster Hunter World and REmakes started putting Capcom back on the upswing. An awake Sony would have capitalized then. Not now when Capcom is better-off, SF gone back multiplatform, Sony half-hearted running EVO but no exclusive fighter to push PS5 adoption/add to the mindshare of this is the console for fighters etc.

That's apart from other side notes and business synergies that purchasing Capcom back then would have brought. Monster Hunter back on PSP exclusively. RE, DC etc PS-associated characters/IP.

Didnt make the right moves early enough, now fighting for scraps against various people with deeper pockets. But isnt that just what some people have been saying for years? I dont want a Sony that's half dead from 1000 smaller stabbings.

• Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yossarian

15 Jul 2022
Make a game that plays like Dark Souls, but has an even more oppressive atmosphere, filled with horror, that has a hub world with seperate stages.

Yeah, make Demon's Souls 2

• thisistheway
Reactions: Kokoloko

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You say that like Sony haven't pissed away opportunities. Way back when, during or shortly after Sony were porting UMVC3 and footing the dev cost for SFV, Capcom's board of directors made some statement about entertaining buyout offers. This was well before Monster Hunter World and REmakes started putting Capcom back on the upswing. An awake Sony would have capitalized then. Not now when Capcom is better-off, SF gone back multiplatform, Sony half-hearted running EVO but no exclusive fighter to push PS5 adoption/add to the mindshare of this is the console for fighters etc.

Didnt make the right moves early enough, now fighting for scraps against various people with deeper pockets. But isnt that just what some people have been saying for years? I dont want a Sony that's half dead from 1000 smaller stabbings.
According to you Capcom got offers, so people (like maybe Sony) got interested but Capcom was who decided to don't sell.

Street Fighter 6 is partially multiplatform, won't be released in XBO. It will be released on PS4, PS5, XBS and PC. SF needs to be on Xbox too if they want to compete in sales against Mortal Kombat, Tekken or Dragon Ball FighterZ. And I think that without a good launch and releasing on XBS too this time they'll achieve same or higer numbers than them.

SFV, the USFIV PS4 port, Dead Rising 3/4, or de MH games of these years for Nintendo were exclusive because Capcom didn't have cash.

The EVO main games of this year featured Guilty Gear Strive (PS exclusive), Street Fighter V (PS exclusive), Melty Blood: Type Lumina (Sony owns their publisher, Lasengle) and Granblue Fantasy: Versus (PS exclusive). And all games were played on PS. Sony had a ton of exclusive fighters this gen, more than everyone else.

Sony isn't 'half dead': they are the clear market leaders. They have the biggest console active console base, sell more games for their console than the other console brands, make more revenue than the other console maker in gaming history, they have more big exclusives every year than the other consoles and their internal games sell more units and win more awards than they ever did. They have the most successful game sub for consoles. They are growing their internal development teams and are buying more studios than ever, resulting on having more games under development that they ever had. In addition to invest more than ever in console games, they are also growing and investing more in PC ports, mobile gaming plus movies and tv shows. They are better than they ever have been.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
It’s definitely a step in the right direction but what’s tencents angle here? Cuck Sony from holding a higher percent? At the very lease would it be safe to assume that from soft wouldn’t be making Xbox games anymore, or timed PlayStation and pc exclusives?

saintjules

Forum Veteran
28 Jun 2022

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
According to you Capcom got offers, so people (like maybe Sony) got interested but Capcom was who decided to don't sell.

Street Fighter 6 is partially multiplatform, won't be released in XBO. It will be released on PS4, PS5, XBS and PC. SF needs to be on Xbox too if they want to compete in sales against Mortal Kombat, Tekken or Dragon Ball FighterZ. And I think that without a good launch and releasing on XBS too this time they'll achieve same or higer numbers than them.

SFV, the USFIV PS4 port, Dead Rising 3/4, or de MH games of these years for Nintendo were exclusive because Capcom didn't have cash.

The EVO main games of this year featured Guilty Gear Strive (PS exclusive), Street Fighter V (PS exclusive), Melty Blood: Type Lumina (Sony owns their publisher, Lasengle) and Granblue Fantasy: Versus (PS exclusive). And all games were played on PS. Sony had a ton of exclusive fighters this gen, more than everyone else.

I'll admit I don't know much about fighers in particular. I guess I just feel like Sony has been sleeping and has made a harder rod for it's back nowadays. Anything they're trying to kick-up now could have been achieved better back then in a cleaner fashion (see: Ballistic Moon relationship vs purchasing SuperMassive back when to turn-around and support/invest-in so all their games are looked-at as favorabley as Until Dawn was. Or RAD did used-to develop for PSVR but now they just don't... at all because someone else bought them and Sony was asleep at the wheel).

In the case of fighers, picking-up Capcom or NRS potentially cuts through some legal red tape in terms of multiverses type crossover rostes (SF vs MK? DC vs Marvel? MVC4?) and would give them more leverage in regards to Disney/Marvel marketing deals, or using those IPs across Sony produced tv/film media, even if that is just an extention of buddying-up to Netflix or the highest streaming bidder. But it's other little things too. Sony could align it's anime/game/media divisions to really pump out a cross-media canon for a fighting game that's all connected and neccesarry. Not things like "well MKX's story is messed-up because it contradicts the prequel comic, which got cancelled anyway so blah blah blah".

I'm fed up of seeing Sony themselves play grab ass and miss oppotunities, when I think that in the rare instances where it 'does' have it's head screwed-on correctly it could really apply it and lend its infastructure, financial, ability to scale, and support to devs whom need it. Whilst creating business synergies for wider Sony and catering to their audience better. Have the Insomniac team teach the rest or something, lol.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I'm fed up of seeing Sony themselves play grab ass and miss oppotunities, when I think that in the rare instances where it 'does' have it's head screwed-on correctly it could really apply it and lend its infastructure, financial, ability to scale, and support to devs whom need it. Whilst creating business synergies for wider Sony and catering to their audience better. Have the Insomniac team teach the rest or something, lol.

Yep. And totally agree on Insomniac team too.

Also Last gen we were getting games from Kojima, Miyazaki, Team Ninja, Atlus, Supermassive, Quantic Dreams, Capcom exclusively.
As much as I like Square/ Final Fantasy 16 and 7, this isn’t a equal trade lol.

This gen:
-Both Supermassive and Quantic Dreams have been bought by others after making multiple PS exclusives. Just like Ninja Theory bought by MS
-Kojima making Xbox game
-No Team Ninja Exclusive. Team Ninja releasing a game on Gamepass day 1 instead ( last gen we got Nioh 1 and 2 console exclusive )
-Street Fighter 6 gone multiplat instead of exclusive
-Persona and Yakuza gone multiplat after always being PS centric titles. Plus Yakuza 7 releasing on Xbox first
-No Miyzaki exclusive

So what are Jim/Herman + whoever else in charge doing?
If we don’t get much 3rd party exclusives announced by the end of the year show, then there is seriously something wrong behind the curtains at Playstation. We know 2 games coming 2023/2024, Spiderman 2 and Wolverine. TLOU factions too I guess.
Im not saying I know the business, but something isn’t right when so mnay of your actual die hard customers are not happy

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yossarian

15 Jul 2022
Yep. And totally agree on Insomniac team too.
Probably preaching to the choir here, but Insomniacs early stuff is REALLY good, I finished R&C Going Commando this afternoon. Spyro was cool too. I much prefer that stuff to capeshit, but Spiderman will always outsell original IP scrimblo bimblo (except Mario)

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I guess I just feel like Sony has been sleeping and has made a harder rod for it's back nowadays. Anything they're trying to kick-up now could have been achieved better back then in a cleaner fashion (see: Ballistic Moon relationship vs purchasing SuperMassive back when to turn-around and support/invest-in so all their games are looked-at as favorabley as Until Dawn was. Or RAD did used-to develop for PSVR but now they just don't... at all because someone else bought them and Sony was asleep at the wheel).
The Order was a game that even with its flaws I loved it, and RAD are supentalented who did great stuff before. If I was Sony I'd have bought them, but Sony was a disaster in reviews and I assumse sales too. So Sony did let them go (or maybe Facebook was faster or did outbid Sony, who knows).

Some former Ubisoft and Quantic Dream (Detroit) devs made the PS exclusive Stray. Some former Until Dawn devs are in Ballistic Moon making a Sony game. Sounds good, and if desired/fits with their plans/they want to sell then Sony could buy them. Talent doesn't always remain in the same company.

In the case of fighers, picking-up Capcom or NRS potentially cuts through some legal red tape in terms of multiverses type crossover rostes (SF vs MK? DC vs Marvel? MVC4?) and would give them more leverage in regards to Disney/Marvel marketing deals, or using those IPs across Sony produced tv/film media, even if that is just an extention of buddying-up to Netflix or the highest streaming bidder. But it's other little things too. Sony could align it's anime/game/media divisions to really pump out a cross-media canon for a fighting game that's all connected and neccesarry. Not things like "well MKX's story is messed-up because it contradicts the prequel comic, which got cancelled anyway so blah blah blah".

Sony is the most successful console maker. And in addition to Insomniac they also have several other top tier devs who are super successful (using their own IPs, not needing to license one of the biggest IPs in the world) like ND, Guerrilla, Polyphony, Sucker Punch or Bend.

Sony is the most successful dev and publisher for superhero games with Spider-Man. So if Sony would buy Capcom and would help them grow to have a 2nd fighting game team, Marvel would be more than happy to license them another Marvel vs Capcom game.

SF vs MK won't happen because they don't want Fatalities with SF characters, not because any bad relationship between companies. Being bought by Sony wouldn't change anything. And well, if desired Sony could also license DC stuff but with Sony's and Marvel's superhero games they already have more than enough.

Btw, the recent Demon Slayer game developed by Cyberconnect was an Aniplex (Sony) game.

This would be crushing to MS/Nintendo if they control FromSoft to the point where there is exclusive content only for the PS/PC. The quality of their games will of course always be top notch though.
From Soft did over a dozen PS exclusive games since the PS1 days. Same goes with the rest of Kadokawa, they also had over a dozen PS exclusive games since the PS1 days.

At the same time they also always did multiplatform stuff. So getting bought by Sony wouldn't change a lot of things.

Regarding the quality of their games, they are great in some areas while they suck in other ones. Some of the areas where they fail (like fps, framepacing, etc) some people found charm (their old school like broken landing/learning and difficulty curves) to the point some people saw it as a style.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
The Order was a game that even with its flaws I loved it, and RAD are supentalented who did great stuff before. If I was Sony I'd have bought them, but Sony was a disaster in reviews and I assumse sales too. So Sony did let them go (or maybe Facebook was faster or did outbid Sony, who knows).

Some former Ubisoft and Quantic Dream (Detroit) devs made the PS exclusive Stray. Some former Until Dawn devs are in Ballistic Moon making a Sony game. Sounds good, and if desired/fits with their plans/they want to sell then Sony could buy them. Talent doesn't always remain in the same company.

Sony is the most successful console maker. And in addition to Insomniac they also have several other top tier devs who are super successful (using their own IPs, not needing to license one of the biggest IPs in the world) like ND, Guerrilla, Polyphony, Sucker Punch or Bend.

Sony is the most successful dev and publisher for superhero games with Spider-Man. So if Sony would buy Capcom and would help them grow to have a 2nd fighting game team, Marvel would be more than happy to license them another Marvel vs Capcom game.

SF vs MK won't happen because they don't want Fatalities with SF characters, not because any bad relationship between companies. Being bought by Sony wouldn't change anything. And well, if desired Sony could also license DC stuff but with Sony's and Marvel's superhero games they already have more than enough.

If the quality is retained/expanded upon, then when is enough ever enough? I'd rather have a laser focused Sony more entrenched throughout, and in command of more IPs/liscenses and development talent; using it's ability to open doors across games/media as each medium currently transforms into tighter clusters. I want Agressive Sony, not Sleepy Sony. I want PS4 Sony, not whatever this PS5 Sony is... it feels like PS3 Sony without any of the earnst or sinserity underlying it.

If Sony haven't got MS/TC/Apple/Saudi money, then they need to wake up and start being more aggressive and smarter. No more of this Tortoise and the Hare shit. Tortoise won the race through perserverance. MS don't do that, but they got money so it's a moot-factor. The Hare is always the one just being lazy and self assured, and he always loses.