Sony Pulse Explore Earbuds:Previews and reviews. "Absurdly Good Sound" (among the best wireless earbuds for music listening as well). I got mine!

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

That they're very good gaming earbuds isn't surprising. However, that they're as good as they are for music listening is a revelation. In fact, after trying an early review sample in advance of the launch, I found that they sound clearer and more articulate than Sony's flagship WF-1000XM5 earbuds, with tight, powerful bass. That doesn't necessarily mean they sound better than XM5s, which sound a little fuller. But I wasn't expecting them to compete at all with the XM5s for music listening

And in my relatively brief experience with these buds so far, clarity and separation are easily the biggest strengths I’ve noticed. It’s easy to distinguish small details and individual sound effects, even during moments of chaotic action in RoboCop: Rogue City, and the Pulse Explore earbuds did a fantastic job of making me feel like I was smack dab right in the middle of Alan Wake 2’s eery world. Sony’s 3D audio tech is well represented, giving gaming environments a real feeling of depth and immersion. If you occasionally use these for music, that’s more of a mixed bag, as the tuning used here can be light on deep bass for any purposes beyond gaming. These won’t replace Sony’s 1000XM5 in anyone’s bag.

Reviews:

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
article

Sony Pulse Explore Earbuds Hands-On: Absurdly Good Sound
While designed to be used with Sony's PlayStation 5 gaming console, they're among the best wireless earbuds for music listening.

David Carnoy Executive Editor / Reviews

The Pulse Explore earbuds sound excellent

The Pulse Explore earbuds in their somewhat large case.
David Carnoy/CNET

Sony's upcoming Pulse Explore wireless earbuds are weird -- but in a surprisingly good way.
Due to ship Dec. 6 and available for preorder now for $200, the buds are ostensibly low-latency gaming earbuds. Somewhat bulky and a little bit strange looking in your ears, they're designed to be used with Sony's PS5 gaming console and its new PlayStation Portal remote player, as well as Windows and Mac computers. (The included PlayStation Link USB adapter is required for PS5 and Nintendo Switch use.) Like most other wireless gaming earbuds I've encountered, the Pulse Explore can also be paired with your smartphone via Bluetooth.
See at Sony

That they're very good gaming earbuds isn't surprising. However, that they're as good as they are for music listening is a revelation. In fact, after trying an early review sample in advance of the launch, I found that they sound clearer and more articulate than Sony's flagship WF-1000XM5 earbuds, with tight, powerful bass. That doesn't necessarily mean they sound better than XM5s, which sound a little fuller. But I wasn't expecting them to compete at all with the XM5s for music listening.

The reason for that sound seems largely due to the buds' planar magnetic drivers, which are typically found in high-end over-ear audiophile headphones and rarely in earbuds. Sony recently acquired Audeze, which is known for its planar magnetic drivers and in 2021 made a pair of $1,299 wired planar magnetic earbuds called the Euclid that are currently listed as "sold out." Planar magnetic drivers are prized for their sonic accuracy and being less prone to distortion. They're typically larger than standard dynamic drivers found in the majority of headphones and harder to drive.
More at the link

I think this preview convinced me to take the plunge. Getting a pair

*edit* just preordered. Everywhere is sold out on preorders except gamestop

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Btw if you buy these make sure you're careful with them as planar magnetics are known to be a bit fragile and prone to getting the film messed up by hard impacts

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Amazon will probably get them. I'm more interested in the big boy Pulse though.
Amazon had preorders but they're sold out. They were being sold through ps direct, Amazon, best buy, and gamestop. Could only find preorders left at gamestop.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Amazon had preorders but they're sold out. They were being sold through ps direct, Amazon, best buy, and gamestop. Could only find preorders left at gamestop.
We don't have PS Direct, Best Buy, and Gamestop in Ireland.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Buds are not my thing. Especially the wireless ones. I will lose them first time I use them.

I have the big boy pulse. I love them but they’re not too comfortable.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Buds are not my thing. Especially the wireless ones. I will lose them first time I use them.

After awhile they hurt my head so I was happy with the buds announcement. I love my golds though, they still going strong.

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
After awhile they hurt my head so I was happy wuth the buds announcement. I love my golds though, they still going strong.

The feature set and how you can adjust game and audio channels separately on the fly from the headset on the big boy pulse is awesome. Honestly, just got to see if I can get meatier pads on it.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

I have never found an over-ear set that doesn't hurt or feel uncomfortable on my ear... wish I could.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I looked at these, but am still going with a set of XM5s. I have my AudioTechnica cans for the rare occasion I want to game with headphones and want the best sound quality possible for a new set of buds.