Sony - Quarter 3 Financial Results 2022

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
So its 428 billion yen for the whole company? Thatd be about 3.3 billion in usd, so i guess thats not that bad for theM?
I have to check but it is around $2.53 billion profit for the company in the quarter I believe.
It is 6% down compared with last year.

Reactions: Dabaus

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Capture_decran_2023-02-02_a_13.04.40.png

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Okay, I see something we missed....

Inventory is up significantly in the balance sheet, this is detailed in the streaming interviews for investors with Totoki and Yoshida.

They say that it is due to them stockpiling inventory for quarter 4 of PS5 and also some PSVR2 units.

So, they are really providing for the forecast of 6+ million sales.

Also they mention that PS5 sold OVER 32 million by December 31st. So, it's possibly several million above that now already. (Maybe 34 to 35 million)

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
They might have a showcase or price drop soon, they are overly confident.

Sony is proving no amount of FUD about their hardware or first party software is going to damage their brand. The quality speaks for itself

“We’re gonna let out games do the talking” powerful line

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Certain countries are being missed and some are better than they were but still need a lot more.

But many countries have them on shelves for a length of time now before they get sold out, it's a lot easier to just pick one up.
The USA seems to be the focus of normalizing stock.
Canada has improved massively since the Ragnarok release date. You can actually get one here now if you go to the right places, where it was pretty miraculous to find one anywhere for most of 2021-2022.

24 Jun 2022
The biggest takeaway for me from all this is that they are significantly increasing market share in US & Europe (I don't know if Europe includes the UK, but that's not really important here). US is, hands down, Xbox's strongest market historically, and if they are losing growing market share here (we saw the sales results; from June to November PS5's gap was increasing over Xbox every single month), that puts a huge problem on Microsoft's back.

Considering they are relatively a non-factor in Europe outside of UK, let alone ROTW (just look at the Japan numbers for the past, what, 3-4 months?), if they can't stay competitive in the US, it's going to be a very rough generation for them. They have the money to ride things out, but if they don't start delivering on big, mass-market AAA games and consistent quality in those and AA releases for the rest of this generation, they are just going to see further stagnation which will affect whatever their 10th-gen console plans are.

I would say even if they have plans internally to pivot away from the traditional console business model, they still need to ensure frequency & quality of enough mass-market appealing games is a priority, as that would obviously benefit them in whatever strategy they want to do going forward. But most important for me would be them earning this by cultivating those experiences with developers they already have, not simply relying on mass consolidations of publishers to buy the success others worked hard for.

I feel more confident then ever now in that 16.5 million - 17.6 million range for Xbox Series (at least up to end of 2022), meaning PS5 is outselling almost 2:1, and I think that's a higher ratio than PS4 was outselling XBO by this point in their respective lifecycles last generation. Another thing is while MS may claim to have more MAU, Sony's MAU are more valuable going by ARPU, clearly, and MAU is only important up to a point. A billion MAU means nothing if you get $1 million in total monthly revenue, unless you're using personal data of those MAUs to sell to advertisers (like Meta's been known to do). Sony have clearly found a strong balance in healthy MAU and increasing revenue (ARPU) per MAU; Microsoft has not.

Then look at the software sales; again we see nothing but growth for PS, meanwhile Xbox's were down by double digits. Yes, Sony having some big 1P games like GOWR helped contribute to software sales (obviously), but most of those sales are still 3P software, and Sony's 30% cut from those 3P sales still constitutes most of their software revenue. I'm bringing that up because Xbox's software revenue party WILL NOT be solved simply by 1P software. They've created a real problem through Game Pass; Xbox gamers just aren't buying as much software as a whole compare to PS owners. We have enough isolated examples of data to prove this (Capcom, Square-Enix etc.), but now the numbers make it obvious. And unless MS makes a change to how they handle 1P releases into Game Pass going forward, their own revenue off 1P software sales is going to get gimped. You simply can't have big individual software direct sales revenue AND huge recurring sub revenue through Game Pass; one is always going to sacrifice for the other, now MS has to realize that head-on.

And, again, no them just looking to acquire publishers and roll their revenue into Xbox's isn't going to be a long-term solution, nor a favorable one for gamers or the industry. They simply can't sustain all those additional employee salaries if they want to increase profit margins for shareholders, they won't be able to justify budgets for all the games those pubs would have funded independently, after spending billions on simply buying those publishers. Let alone whatever cultural problems those publishers may have, which we can't count on MS being able to fully solve (like with ABK). I get that them going for big publisher acquisitions is somewhat a silent admission of weakness in earnings potential confidence of the studios they have had pre-pub acquisitions, and it's a hail mary to give the gaming side one final big push on the traditional business model before maybe reconsidering that model altogether but...we still have to recognize some of the shortcomings of the acquisition strategy.

But yeah, for Sony these numbers are looking very good; they had growth in every area as a business, PlayStation especially, and it's easy to see their strategy is working out. I would still reconsider bringing over the marquee AAA single-player games to PC; at least hold off on those for a few years. Wait until you've got a sequel on the way for console, then do a PC port maybe a year ahead with some additional DLC/expansion content bundled into one to bridge into the new game. It seems like console alone is healthy enough for those games and the vast majority of the audience is on console anyway, why risk having hardcore fans of those specific games give you less money (if they buy on Steam, Valve takes a cut) and potentially do less spending in the console ecosystem? I could understand that porting strategy if Sony had their own storefront on PC, but they don't, so they kind of risk letting some of that money flow out into ecosystems owned by other companies.

The live-service GaaS games though? Yeah, sure. Definitely do console/PC for those, at least most of them, Day 1 in some cases I'd imagine. Though I can understand why in some cases it wouldn't be Day 1, or potentially ever in some specific ones. Also think PC ports of smaller, quirkier 1P games (though Sony don't really make a lot of these anymore, sadly) would make sense, Day 1 in some particular cases, too. It seems like the Steam/PC audiences really gravitate towards those kind of games (as we see with HiFi Rush as a recent example (which was a good score/hit for Microsoft), Wallpaper Simulator, Power Wash Simulator and stuff like that) and live-service GaaS shooters. I'm not saying there isn't an audience for epic single-player story-driven action/adventure games on the platform, but maybe that audience is smaller than first thought and isn't worth prioritizing at the same level of the console audience after all.

Those would be some of the only suggestions I really have for Sony going forward, but otherwise it seems like they're doing a great job. I guess soon we'll get Nintendo's results and those should be huge, particularly on the 1P software sales and software revenue sides. It's great to see them & Sony doing so well, and if MS can get their shit together, it'd be nice to see them join the party some day.

24 Jun 2022
Solid numbers. Pretty sure that drop in PS Plus subscribers will burn their heads for a while.

Not really. They've had a slight drop, sure, but revenue actually increased. So the new PS+ tiers are doing what they were designed to do.

Though they would obviously like that sub count to get higher. It likely will by the next quarterly results.

@thicc_girls_are_teh_best was spot on

Thanks man, but @Heisenberg007 helped a lot there, too. Even @Welfare . But yeah, it's looking pretty bad for Xbox right now even in their strongest market, let alone Europe (not sure if UK counts here) and ROTW where it's been turning into a bloodbath for them compared to PS5 and even PS4 in some places (Japan).

What a kick in the nuts to MS after their earnings report. May actually be beneficial to the Activision acquisition.

At this point they are probably counting on it now more than ever.

How? As far as I can see, the logical conclusion for anyone having a look at the results is:

1) Sub services are not moving the needle
2) Quality first party games lead to success
3) PlayStation releases more and better games than Xbox with lesser studios
4) Xbox needs to manage their current studios better to improve it's current position

I think he means in terms of rolling ABK's revenue into Xbox division's. Similar to what MS did with Zenimax after that acquisition (which was a big part of Xbox's revenue growth the following quarters).

24 Jun 2022
what are we thinking on real XBS numbers (not VGchartz).

I'm thinking it's really 16-18m xbox to 32m PS5.

Series S being 60+% of XB consoles sold.

PS5 vs XSX around ~6:1
overall ~2.5:1.

Thank goodness for that NPD leak 😁

Most like Series high-end sold-through is ~ 17.62 million by end of 2022. They were at 8.736 million US by November, and just assume they did another 700K for December. UK, say maybe they hit 1.6 million by end of 2022. ROTW (non-UK Europe, Asia, Africa, Middle East, Latin America) was like 25% of XBO sales last gen. Considering no Series sales PR from MS this month, they are probably tracking slightly behind XBO launch-aligned, so ROTW at most just shy 30% of Series total sales.

Would bring sold-through up to 17.62 million by end of 2022. But as you pointed out bigger problem is hardware revenue; they were down heavy and we know Series S is at least 60% of Xboxes being sold, and it had aggressive price discounts/deals in multiple territories for months, even in the US & UK for BF and Christmas. Doesn't seem it helped much.

Eh, the argument could be made that MS already owns enough and has enough coming this year to avoid a repeat of last year if they play their cards right.

In terms of optics, yeah potentially. I mean, Forza's still Forza, it's a known quantity. RedFall looks mid at best IMHO, I was expecting a better showing at the Direct. Starfield could be great, but we keep hearing that it's in a very rough state, and showed it at the last Showcase, and that was after a delay. MS can't afford to rush it out the door for June if it's not ready.

Meanwhile the few other 1P games they have are PC games getting ported to console and won't really do much for mass appeal (AoE isn't a big deal on consoles) and yet more RTS like Ara. They do have some nice timed exclusive 3P stuff like Stalker 2, Replaced, Ravenlok and that side-scrolling detective platformer, and some Game Pass Day 1 games like Atomic Heart, but as fun as those may be they're going to be "nice to haves" at most, and all of them will be on PS either Day 1 (just not in PS+) or in a few months after they're on Xbox/Game Pass. They're the kind of games that most people can wait a bit on before feeling they "need" to play, honestly.

Sony here pushing enormous number while xbox :

Jeff Grubb: The Coalition has canceled its smaller non-Gears project along with another project.​

Jeez. TBF it is Jeff Grubb, he kinda sucks as an insider IMO. But if this is one of the times he's right....ouch.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
The biggest takeaway for me from all this is that they are significantly increasing market share in US & Europe (I don't know if Europe includes the UK, but that's not really important here). US is, hands down, Xbox's strongest market historically, and if they are losing growing market share here (we saw the sales results; from June to November PS5's gap was increasing over Xbox every single month), that puts a huge problem on Microsoft's back.

Considering they are relatively a non-factor in Europe outside of UK, let alone ROTW (just look at the Japan numbers for the past, what, 3-4 months?), if they can't stay competitive in the US, it's going to be a very rough generation for them. They have the money to ride things out, but if they don't start delivering on big, mass-market AAA games and consistent quality in those and AA releases for the rest of this generation, they are just going to see further stagnation which will affect whatever their 10th-gen console plans are.

I would say even if they have plans internally to pivot away from the traditional console business model, they still need to ensure frequency & quality of enough mass-market appealing games is a priority, as that would obviously benefit them in whatever strategy they want to do going forward. But most important for me would be them earning this by cultivating those experiences with developers they already have, not simply relying on mass consolidations of publishers to buy the success others worked hard for.

I feel more confident then ever now in that 16.5 million - 17.6 million range for Xbox Series (at least up to end of 2022), meaning PS5 is outselling almost 2:1, and I think that's a higher ratio than PS4 was outselling XBO by this point in their respective lifecycles last generation. Another thing is while MS may claim to have more MAU, Sony's MAU are more valuable going by ARPU, clearly, and MAU is only important up to a point. A billion MAU means nothing if you get $1 million in total monthly revenue, unless you're using personal data of those MAUs to sell to advertisers (like Meta's been known to do). Sony have clearly found a strong balance in healthy MAU and increasing revenue (ARPU) per MAU; Microsoft has not.

Then look at the software sales; again we see nothing but growth for PS, meanwhile Xbox's were down by double digits. Yes, Sony having some big 1P games like GOWR helped contribute to software sales (obviously), but most of those sales are still 3P software, and Sony's 30% cut from those 3P sales still constitutes most of their software revenue. I'm bringing that up because Xbox's software revenue party WILL NOT be solved simply by 1P software. They've created a real problem through Game Pass; Xbox gamers just aren't buying as much software as a whole compare to PS owners. We have enough isolated examples of data to prove this (Capcom, Square-Enix etc.), but now the numbers make it obvious. And unless MS makes a change to how they handle 1P releases into Game Pass going forward, their own revenue off 1P software sales is going to get gimped. You simply can't have big individual software direct sales revenue AND huge recurring sub revenue through Game Pass; one is always going to sacrifice for the other, now MS has to realize that head-on.

And, again, no them just looking to acquire publishers and roll their revenue into Xbox's isn't going to be a long-term solution, nor a favorable one for gamers or the industry. They simply can't sustain all those additional employee salaries if they want to increase profit margins for shareholders, they won't be able to justify budgets for all the games those pubs would have funded independently, after spending billions on simply buying those publishers. Let alone whatever cultural problems those publishers may have, which we can't count on MS being able to fully solve (like with ABK). I get that them going for big publisher acquisitions is somewhat a silent admission of weakness in earnings potential confidence of the studios they have had pre-pub acquisitions, and it's a hail mary to give the gaming side one final big push on the traditional business model before maybe reconsidering that model altogether but...we still have to recognize some of the shortcomings of the acquisition strategy.

But yeah, for Sony these numbers are looking very good; they had growth in every area as a business, PlayStation especially, and it's easy to see their strategy is working out. I would still reconsider bringing over the marquee AAA single-player games to PC; at least hold off on those for a few years. Wait until you've got a sequel on the way for console, then do a PC port maybe a year ahead with some additional DLC/expansion content bundled into one to bridge into the new game. It seems like console alone is healthy enough for those games and the vast majority of the audience is on console anyway, why risk having hardcore fans of those specific games give you less money (if they buy on Steam, Valve takes a cut) and potentially do less spending in the console ecosystem? I could understand that porting strategy if Sony had their own storefront on PC, but they don't, so they kind of risk letting some of that money flow out into ecosystems owned by other companies.

The live-service GaaS games though? Yeah, sure. Definitely do console/PC for those, at least most of them, Day 1 in some cases I'd imagine. Though I can understand why in some cases it wouldn't be Day 1, or potentially ever in some specific ones. Also think PC ports of smaller, quirkier 1P games (though Sony don't really make a lot of these anymore, sadly) would make sense, Day 1 in some particular cases, too. It seems like the Steam/PC audiences really gravitate towards those kind of games (as we see with HiFi Rush as a recent example (which was a good score/hit for Microsoft), Wallpaper Simulator, Power Wash Simulator and stuff like that) and live-service GaaS shooters. I'm not saying there isn't an audience for epic single-player story-driven action/adventure games on the platform, but maybe that audience is smaller than first thought and isn't worth prioritizing at the same level of the console audience after all.

Those would be some of the only suggestions I really have for Sony going forward, but otherwise it seems like they're doing a great job. I guess soon we'll get Nintendo's results and those should be huge, particularly on the 1P software sales and software revenue sides. It's great to see them & Sony doing so well, and if MS can get their shit together, it'd be nice to see them join the party some day.
Yeah, I personally think the single player stuff needs to be Playstation only while the multiplayer stuff needs to also hit PC.

As for the financial results, I could easily see this being used against Sony in arguments over the deal, namely that their success last year shows that they don't need access to ABK's games. I'm not sure how convincing it would be though. I guess it just depends on if some of these regulators feel comfortable making large buyouts the norm going forward.

stebin alex

25 Oct 2022

Great write-up bud (y)

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Funny, isn't it....

How the pandemic obscured things in different ways for PlayStation and Xbox.
For Xbox it gave them cover to buy the limited inventory of chips and stuff the supply chain with Series S consoles that were cheaper to make and used less wafer, which gave the appearance of higher demand than it really had.

Yet for PlayStation it worked in the opposite way, it obscured partially or limited how high the demand actually was for the console as they couldn't keep any stock on the shelves or in the supply chain... many people online just said that sales were way below what they actually were (looking at you VGChartz). Perpetuated by many in the media and how many times were we told Xbox was making huge headway in japan?

The false figures circulated made it seem like the consoles were far closer than they were in reality and even still people have no real concept of how different the levels of demand are for these machines.

I mean, if we take out Series S, which I don't really consider a next gen console.... how many Series X's have been sold? That is the real next gen disparity.