Sony shot themselves in the foot with PC!

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Making a new Playstation launcher is not a "well-defined" strategy. It would be a bone-headed mistake if they went that route. Steam IS the platform we call "PC". All these other sideshow storefronts are failing, and they deserve to fail.

Director of publishing at Larian has this to say:
View attachment 2538
My friend, You are a PC / Steam fanboy. Of course you don't like to have another launcher, but if Sony have the typical business suits mind set, they would eventually try to force you to buy their games from their store and pay for online subscription. There's no way they are not planning to go that way, and if they realize someday that it cannot be done, they will say fuck to PC.

• haha
Reactions: Banana and JAHGamer

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
PC ports work against Sony and they all just flop anyways... They devalue the console, the brand, the IPs, and generate nothing but negative press.
That's the biggest thing for me. It's just always negative press and makes the PS5 look irrelevant.

They use it to mock Sony for a few days and then it's forgotten until the next shit port comes out.

If I ran a profitable business I would see that as a downside not worth pursuing so I don't know why Sony is fine becoming the butt of the joke.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer and Umar

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
My friend, You are a PC / Steam fanboy. Of course you don't like to have another launcher, but if Sony have the typical business suits mind set, they would eventually try to force you to buy their games from their store and pay for online subscription. There's no way they are not planning to go that way, and if they realize someday that it cannot be done, they will say fuck to PC.
Im a Steam fan only because it is extremely high quality and has a unique respect for its users. In an industry where most publishers treat their customers like degenerate gamblers, Valve practically stands alone.

In case you missed it, Origin, BattleNet, Bethesda, Uplay, Rockstar, 2K, and hopefully Epic Games are all in the process of ramping down and moving their games to Steam. This is good. Those other shit piles never should've existed, and they can't die soon enough.

No Playstation gamer would tolerate Playstation 5 having 5 other publisher-specific storefronts with separate logins, game libraries, friends lists, inconsistent controller support, etc. It's no better on a PC.

I don't think Sony is stupid enough to repeat the mistakes of these other publishers. I'm glad the folks are Playstation are smarter than their fans.

"The only good launcher is a dead launcher"

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
That's the biggest thing for me. It's just always negative press and makes the PS5 look irrelevant.

They use it to mock Sony for a few days and then it's forgotten until the next shit port comes out.

If I ran a profitable business I would see that as a downside not worth pursuing so I don't know why Sony is fine becoming the butt of the joke.
Also PS5 isn't meeting sales expectations this year yet. PS5's momentum is slowing down. Why? I can think of three reasons, 1) cross gen: no need to upgrade to PS5. 2) PC ports: I will play Horizon and GOW next year in 4K120 fps wide-screen, DLSS and supperior RT. 3) Helldivers ( any 1st party multiplayer) will release day and date $10 cheaper + free online.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Im a Steam fan only because it is extremely high quality and has a unique respect for its users. In an industry where most publishers treat their customers like degenerate gamblers, Valve practically stands alone.

In case you missed it, Origin, BattleNet, Bethesda, Uplay, Rockstar, 2K, and hopefully Epic Games are all in the process of ramping down and moving their games to Steam. This is good. Those other shit piles never should've existed, and they can't die soon enough.

No Playstation gamer would tolerate Playstation 5 having 5 other publisher-specific storefronts with separate logins, game libraries, friends lists, inconsistent controller support, etc. It's no better on a PC.

I don't think Sony is stupid enough to repeat the mistakes of these other publishers. I'm glad the folks are Playstation are smarter than their fans.

"The only good launcher is a dead launcher"
Sony isn't a 3rd party publisher, they aren't on PC to port games and get them pirated in torrent for expected few 100 millions which is a target they failed to achieve. Microsoft succeeded in bringing PC gamers to subscribe to GP and Sony wants the same. That's eventually their target.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Sony isn't a 3rd party publisher, they aren't on PC to port games and get them pirated in torrent for expected few 100 millions which is a target they failed to achieve. Microsoft succeeded in bringing PC gamers to subscribe to GP and Sony wants the same. That's eventually their target.

Playstation is publishing on PC because modern AAA games are bigger than any one platform. Jim Ryan and co get itchy looking at multiple $300M projects in development, knowing the their sales potential is capped by the PS5 install base. Steam opens up a huge addressable market with a tiny investment and barely any competitive downside. Playstation could put all their games day-1 on Steam and still dominate the console market, because most people want a console. Even as a mostly PC player, I want a console.

Bringing PS Plus to PC doesn't require a terrible new Playstation app on PC. Steam has several 3rd party subscription services integrated with the platform. It would be great if Valve and Sony collabed to bring PS Plus to Steam. I'd love it if there was cross-platform Remote Play support between Steam and Playstation too.

Last edited:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Quite the contrary, this is your excellence.
Congratulations!
just took a couple pics from my mid-range LAPTOP. I hope you got a fresh supply of copium:

Screenshot-2023-10-07-133342.png

Screenshot-2023-10-07-133421.png

Screenshot-2023-10-07-135847.png

24 Jun 2022
Making a new Playstation launcher is not a "well-defined" strategy. It would be a bone-headed mistake if they went that route. Steam IS the platform we call "PC". All these other sideshow storefronts are failing, and they deserve to fail.

Director of publishing at Larian has this to say:
View attachment 2538

Jeez man you sound like the Microsoft fanboys who shill out for Windows, Office and Azure every chance they get. So suddenly competition isn't allowed with PC storefronts because you're already settled in to Steam? You feel you're entitled to get all your PC games on a platform that already has a massive majority of the market share?

Ironically, you saying it'd be bone-headed for Sony or another company to not even bother, is exactly what would open Valve up to an anticompetitive/monopoly investigation by regulatory bodies, if they're supposedly so entrenched that no one else can effectively compete. So which is it? Are you just projecting your own selfish wants for a centralized destination of PC games where you already are, or is Valve so powerful that no other company can compete with them in terms of PC storefronts even if said company did everything right in appealing to customers?

And if it's the latter, you do realize what else you're suggesting, correct? Which would not play out well for Valve under regulatory scrutiny, that's all I'm saying.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Jeez man you sound like the Microsoft fanboys who shill out for Windows, Office and Azure every chance they get. So suddenly competition isn't allowed with PC storefronts because you're already settled in to Steam? You feel you're entitled to get all your PC games on a platform that already has a massive majority of the market share?

Ironically, you saying it'd be bone-headed for Sony or another company to not even bother, is exactly what would open Valve up to an anticompetitive/monopoly investigation by regulatory bodies, if they're supposedly so entrenched that no one else can effectively compete. So which is it? Are you just projecting your own selfish wants for a centralized destination of PC games where you already are, or is Valve so powerful that no other company can compete with them in terms of PC storefronts even if said company did everything right in appealing to customers?

And if it's the latter, you do realize what else you're suggesting, correct? Which would not play out well for Valve under regulatory scrutiny, that's all I'm saying.
it's just a fact that steam provides a lot of basic functionality which is notably missing on every other PC gaming frontend. when companies like Epic make games exclusive to their tinker toy bullshit, the games are worse. remember when PS3 didn't have in-game system menus? games were better to play on Xbox 360. if you had the choice, that's where you played them. A game like Alan Wake 2 skipping Steam is a bit like if you could only get the Switch version of MK 1 on PC. i'm just not going to buy it. all these other publisher-specific stores closing is evidence that many other people don't buy it either.

all this shit you're saying about antitrust is a joke, don't try to sound smart

OP
OP
JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
it's just a fact that steam provides a lot of basic functionality which is notably missing on every other PC gaming frontend. when companies like Epic make games exclusive to their tinker toy bullshit, the games are worse. remember when PS3 didn't have in-game system menus? games were better to play on Xbox 360. if you had the choice, that's where you played them. A game like Alan Wake 2 skipping Steam is a bit like if you could only get the Switch version of MK 1 on PC. i'm just not going to buy it. all these other publisher-specific stores closing is evidence that many other people don't buy it either.

Steam isn't anywhere near as good as it used to be though, the old flash sales were 100x better than the regular lackluster sales they do now. That's because of people like you cheering on a monopoly! The bigger Steam gets, the less incentive they have to actually care about anything, no wonder they're moving into hardware, so they can bolster their storefront more and continue to care even less.

He really does, and the sad part is @flaccidsnake doesn't even realize he sounds EXACTLY like typical console war fanboys, "oooh I won't buy this game because it's not on my preferred platform" 😑 Some dude who claimed to be a big Assassin's Creed fan said he's not buying Mirage just because it isn't on Steam, that is no different than Xbox fanboys hating on FF16 just because it's PS5 timed exclusive, even though those same Xbox fanboys own a PS5 and can play it if they wanted to. PC guys are even worse though because using a different launcher is completely free, they don't have to shell out $500 to download Ubisoft Connect or Epic Game Store 😒 And no just because Larian devs are saying a Steam monopoly is good, doesn't automatically make it so.

24 Jun 2022

Imagine clinging to the past to try giving an answer to a question that supposes itself on a future event which assumes corrections to past mistakes. Couldn't be me.

You also dodged the other part of the question: the antitrust thing isn't my personal POV, it's the logical conclusion someone would make from your comment where you essentially say no one should "even bother" competing with Steam simply because it's already the #1 games storefront on PC. Then you half-answer just listing a bunch of your own preferences and a gaming landscape from over a decade ago as if it's relevant to today's market.

He really does, and the sad part is @flaccidsnake doesn't even realize he sounds EXACTLY like typical console war fanboys, "oooh I won't buy this game because it's not on my preferred platform" 😑 Some dude who claimed to be a big Assassin's Creed fan said he's not buying Mirage just because it isn't on Steam, that is no different than Xbox fanboys hating on FF16 just because it's PS5 timed exclusive, even though those same Xbox fanboys own a PS5 and can play it if they wanted to. PC guys are even worse though because using a different launcher is completely free, they don't have to shell out $500 to download Ubisoft Connect or Epic Game Store 😒 And no just because Larian devs are saying a Steam monopoly is good, doesn't automatically make it so.

Yep; PC gamers try acting like they're above the petty platform warring but given the influx of more 3P support to the platform over years, feels like more of them are emboldened to engage in it. Of course, a lot of those who do are generally Xbox expats who fled that platform when Microsoft more or less de-prioritized it in their gaming ecosystem in favor of PC, but I digress.

And true, one developer's opinion from Larian on a condition of a given market doesn't make it gospel. Wasn't Ted Price defending Starfield or something like that of late? I've got great respect for Larian and Ted Price, but I'm allowed to disagree with them on things from time to time all the same. Everyone is.

OP
OP
JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Quit crying and just buy a PC. You'd save yourself a lot of time and anguish.

Also lmao. PS gamers are jelly of Steam.

Either buy a PC or quit crying. It's getting old.
All you do is troll on here, thats whats getting old, not proper constructive criticism and pure facts stated by fans.

Either leave the site or quit crying. It's getting old.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
It shouldn't take 3 YEARS for a Native ps5 port of LoU2. It's been 3 years and they have NOTHING to show for factions.

What has Naughty Dog even been doing this entire time?

Druckmann has ruined Sony's Best first party studio
Pc patches

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
you're confused. steam is the future. every attempt to compete with steam is rubbing two sticks together.

if someone has a better steam, let's see it. otherwise, there's no reason to root for a pack of losers making life worse for everyone.
Its been a long time since the talked-about industry leading games were on pc, hasnt it? valve still can't count to 3.

24 Jun 2022
you're confused. steam is the future. every attempt to compete with steam is rubbing two sticks together.

if someone has a better steam, let's see it. otherwise, there's no reason to root for a pack of losers making life worse for everyone.

Guys and gals, I didn't think they existed, but I found one. A Valve/Steam fanboy 😲

Kidding aside, at least you're entertaining competitors enter the space. Meaning you shouldn't be adverse to someone like Sony doing so, if they did it the right way. Even if that's an inconvenience for Steam fans like you at first, worthy competition would inherently produce better results in the long-term.

Trust me, if Sony seriously wanted to offer a competitor to Steam, they could do so and probably usurp that market like they did with the console gaming market when they entered as a platform holder there. It's just my personal POV that if they have such an interest, it's 10+ years out from now, and for the time being their overall strategy would be better off de-emphasizing platforms like Steam for anything outside of legacy/catalog remaster compilations and GaaS titles.

Why would PC gamers want PS Plus as is on the platform? That doesn't make much sense.

There would be obvious adjustments, such as accounting for no paid online for starters. You're conflating a Sony PC storefront with console PS+ and assuming no changes would be made.

Quit crying and just buy a PC. You'd save yourself a lot of time and anguish.

Also lmao. PS gamers are jelly of Steam.

Either buy a PC or quit crying. It's getting old.

Who's jealous, exactly? The Steam fanboys sniveling and crying for ports of Sony 1P games when their purchasing power can't even account for the majority of a paltry $200 million revenue from the previous FY that was carried PC-wise by Destiny 2?

It's funny how some of you want to talk facts until the data becomes inconvenient, particularly once the actual impact of PC is brought into the picture. No one here's crying for PC exclusives to come to PlayStation, which is where that 'gotcha' phrase would apply, if anywhere. Valve/Steam port-beggars are throwing flimsy reasons as to why Sony should continue the current strategy as-is or expediate the strategy, and the rest of us are just serving them with facts that wreck that idea apart.

If you want to be on the side getting a reality check on the topic, be my guest 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: JAHGamer

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Guys and gals, I didn't think they existed, but I found one. A Valve/Steam fanboy 😲

Kidding aside, at least you're entertaining competitors enter the space. Meaning you shouldn't be adverse to someone like Sony doing so, if they did it the right way. Even if that's an inconvenience for Steam fans like you at first, worthy competition would inherently produce better results in the long-term.

Trust me, if Sony seriously wanted to offer a competitor to Steam, they could do so and probably usurp that market like they did with the console gaming market when they entered as a platform holder there. It's just my personal POV that if they have such an interest, it's 10+ years out from now, and for the time being their overall strategy would be better off de-emphasizing platforms like Steam for anything outside of legacy/catalog remaster compilations and GaaS titles.

There would be obvious adjustments, such as accounting for no paid online for starters. You're conflating a Sony PC storefront with console PS+ and assuming no changes would be made.

Who's jealous, exactly? The Steam fanboys sniveling and crying for ports of Sony 1P games when their purchasing power can't even account for the majority of a paltry $200 million revenue from the previous FY that was carried PC-wise by Destiny 2?

It's funny how some of you want to talk facts until the data becomes inconvenient, particularly once the actual impact of PC is brought into the picture. No one here's crying for PC exclusives to come to PlayStation, which is where that 'gotcha' phrase would apply, if anywhere. Valve/Steam port-beggars are throwing flimsy reasons as to why Sony should continue the current strategy as-is or expediate the strategy, and the rest of us are just serving them with facts that wreck that idea apart.

If you want to be on the side getting a reality check on the topic, be my guest 🤷‍♂️
It's funny how they claim that Sony has to port games to PC because AAA cost is high. They think 500K copies sold in steam will make a difference for a games that sell 10+ million on Playstation.