Sony shot themselves in the foot with PC!

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
This is incorrect, Nintendo wouldn't have their arms tied at all, they're the best sellers right now and many companies would be willing to work with them, no Nvidia and AMD aren't the only options 🤣. Sony also makes their own processors so that's incorrect as well, they're not beholden to anyone. ARM doesn't compromise backwards compatibility either, Apple proved that with their M1/M2 Macs.

We will have to wait and see for those other companies that could produce amazing tech and would also be willing to enter into those long term low margin contracts instead of going into more lucrative business. Nvidia opted out from PS4/Xbox one for a reason.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
There's no way in hell, PC port isn't affecting future Playstation console sales. Console sales will eventually drop on favor of PC and Steam Deck. Not only that, but Sony doesn't have a well defined strategy for PC. There is no sign they are developing their own platform (store front) on PC. No plans for PS+ on PC. Releasing exclusive multiplayer games day and date on PC with cheaper and free online access.
While other companies are fighting to establish their own platform, Sony is fucking their own already strong platform.

They simple dont need to do it. Not worth the sales they get from it. Fuck the PC launcher too unless they buy COG
Double down on console like Nintendo. You got Cloud to play elsewhere

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
They simple dont need to do it. Not worth the sales they get from it. Fuck the PC launcher too unless they buy COG
Double down on console like Nintendo. You got Cloud to play elsewhere
Knowing that 90% of games are cross platform, They better make a portable that run games at lower settings and play cloud. I was against sony making a new portable, but that seems best way to expand without devaluation of PS brand.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Diah and Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Knowing that 90% of games are cross platform, They better make a portable that run games at lower settings and play cloud. I was against sony making a new portable, but that seems best way to expand without devaluation of PS brand.
Agreed

Reactions: Diah

Banana

10 Jan 2023
Sony making a launcher would just kill the consoles sooner. Hardcore fanboys would join PC, and eventually they'll download Steam.

gonna have to disagree. I think the age of PC gaming far outstripping console gaming is coming to an end. With node shrinks getting less and less effective at increasing compute power, upscaling algorithms will become more and more prevalent in determining final resolution. PC components will be more powerful than console, but the advancement in power during the generation is no longer going to be enough to make the PC so far ahead the way it was in the ps4/x1 generation. The current gen consoles are already outputting 4k/60 through upscaling. Next gen we'll probably see DLSS-style upscaling cores which we already know can generate a comparable-if-not-superior-to-native image quality. And CPUs are not improving in singlethreaded performance quickly enough to lap the consoles especially if consoles start using frame gen/frame interpolation tech.

There is a lot more to PC gaming than power. I wouldn't use a modern console out of principle anymore. They just feel gross.

Do keep in mind though that performance not improving also effects consoles, since they are budget PCs.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Making a new Playstation launcher is not a "well-defined" strategy. It would be a bone-headed mistake if they went that route. Steam IS the platform we call "PC". All these other sideshow storefronts are failing, and they deserve to fail.

Director of publishing at Larian has this to say:
View attachment 2538
I understand his points (and from a buying perspective agree with them!) but, as that little girl on the commercial says, why not both? Its entirely possible to be like CDPR and sell through Steam and your own website or through Steam and Epic (which takes a smaller cut of sales.)

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I understand his points (and from a buying perspective agree with them!) but, as that little girl on the commercial says, why not both? Its entirely possible to be like CDPR and sell through Steam and your own website or through Steam and Epic (which takes a smaller cut of sales.)
It would be better if they didn't. There's no benefit to it. The only way I can see Playstation adding something important is if they literally port the whole PS5 system experience to PC. CDPR is a bad example because their stupid launcher is a totally unnecessary break in the user experience. Like all the other trash launchers out there, it doesn't support gamepad input. So if you start Cyberpunk with a gamepad in Steam Big Picture, you need to pick up a keyboard to actually get the game running. Stupid Stupid.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It would be better if they didn't. There's no benefit to it. The only way I can see Playstation adding something important is if they literally port the whole PS5 system experience to PC. CDPR is a bad example because their stupid launcher is a totally unnecessary break in the user experience. Like all the other trash launchers out there, it doesn't support gamepad input. So if you start Cyberpunk with a gamepad in Steam Big Picture, you need to pick up a keyboard to actually get the game running. Stupid Stupid.
Like the Larian head, I was talking third parties in general. Like most of this forum, probably, I find Sony's PC strategy to have been dubious in theory and a failure in practice.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Like the Larian head, I was talking third parties in general. Like most of this forum, probably, I find Sony's PC strategy to have been dubious in theory and a failure in practice.
This is a common mistake many developers/publishers are making. They realize their bullshit external stores are failing, but they still want to leverage their own spyware rather than properly integrate with Steam APIs, aka the native apis of the platform. Playstation gamers rightly hate it when you have to make a Ubisoft account to play the latest Assassin's Creed. PC players hate it too. I want to start a game in Steam, and have the game start. There's no excuse for some intermediate splash screen, begging me to make another account with a separate friends list and promotional emails.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
This is a common mistake many developers/publishers are making. They realize their bullshit external stores are failing, but they still want to leverage their own spyware rather than properly integrate with Steam APIs, aka the native apis of the platform. Playstation gamers rightly hate it when you have to make a Ubisoft account to play the latest Assassin's Creed. PC players hate it too. I want to start a game in Steam, and have the game start. There's no excuse for some intermediate splash screen, begging me to make another account with a separate friends list and promotional emails.
Well, Larian doesn't do that (and no-one else should either) but yes I hate the Ubi-bullshit too. I have to play all of their Switch releases in airplane mode for that reason, super obnoxious.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Well, Larian doesn't do that (and no-one else should either) but yes I hate the Ubi-bullshit too. I have to play all of their Switch releases in airplane mode for that reason, super obnoxious.
Larian does do it. Baldurs Gate 3 is an offender. You have to add "--skip-launcher" as a runtime argument to work around it.

• Informative
Reactions: Zzero