Sony signs agreement with MS to keep COD on PS

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
For all we know the deal is lifetime, or 15 years. We just don't know yet.

The thing is, it's no longer a matter of debate what the state of the industry going forward is going to be. PlayStation is out-manned and outgunned by a big margin studio wise. PS enjoys market leadership today but MS has addressed its biggest, most glaring flaw when it came to consoles - content. This is why I say the PS6 generation will be a sight to behold for a variety of reasons. Everything is literally coming together for that generation and the "reset" at 0.

Also to believe that all content from these two pubs (ABK/Bethesda) will be shit, and low quality is absurd. Even if you factor Microsoft's mismanagement, some good games and titles are bound to slip through that rotting net, and those titles will place the Xbox/PC ecosystem in a more favorable position to attract consumers vis a vis PlayStation. The cost for this was exorbitant but MS can do it so... their money.

Fire Jim Ryan/Hermen Hulst.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

The thing is, it's no longer a matter of debate what the state of the industry going forward is going to be. PlayStation is out-manned and outgunned by a big margin studio wise. PS enjoys market leadership today but MS has addressed its biggest, most glaring flaw when it came to consoles - content. This is why I say the PS6 generation will be a sight to behold for a variety of reasons. Everything is literally coming together for that generation and the "reset" at 0.

Also to believe that all content from these two pubs (ABK/Bethesda) will be shit, and low quality is absurd. Even if you factor Microsoft's mismanagement, some good games and titles are bound to slip through that rotting net, and those titles will place the Xbox/PC ecosystem in a more favorable position to attract consumers vis a vis PlayStation. The cost for this was exorbitant but MS can do it so... their money.

At this point I would rather if Sony just sold PlayStation to another company that saw the value in it if they are not going to put up a fight.

The direction Jim Ryan/Hermen Hulst are pushing thins is close to worst case scenario.

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023

Content s a reason ps5 s outselling xbox 10 to 1 in Asia, 5 to 1 in europe, 3 or 2 to 1 in usa.
Sony released almost everything they announced. Xbox s still hyping about games announced 5 years ago. Also Its like every day im reading about devs leaving xbox.
People forget how manny games re not on xbox that re selling ps5s. Nioh, ff16, ff14, sillent hill, death stranding, stellar blade, ronin, kotor remake.....imagine u have xbox andbu cant play theml

Or juggernaut combo of billion dolalr ips last of us, god of war, uncharted, spiderman, gran turism, horizonk...freakin Wolverine.

Shall we check other side? Halo s dead. Gearsn irrelevant. Judging by motorsport previews its going to be soon irrelevant. Horizon s great.

Releqsed goty games like hifi, pentiment, soon starfield. Still getting destroyed in sales. Worst selling xbox since original.

They bought bunch of mediocre and garbage studios for fanboys. Even phil knows it. Compulsion, inxile, initiative....CD helping with pdz, eidos helping with fable, lucid was helping with sea of thieves.

Bethesda worth s elder scrolls and fallout. Games released once a decade. Everything else s filler from arkane to doom. Doom s hyped online but its mediocre seller.

Cod s huge but its core of activision and it ll be on ps5 for a decade. Spyro, crash etc re small ips evem activiosion doesnt care about. Judging by sales neither do console users.

Will all of this help to even odds for ms? Sure.
Will thsi end sony? Nope.

Sony needs and they ll react but this doom and gloom s crazy.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Not your bro - clearly. You're a two year old? Dealing with low IQ lingo from someone clearly upset, "triggered" as the lingo goes.

Jim is a rotational suit in a long line of suits. He's not PlayStation nor Sony. You're like the sort of idiot that says to a fellow country men that he should flee his own country of birth for criticizing the rotational president/prime minister and their administration policies. Mix that with an appeal to authority - "Jim knows best" than you peasant. Factory made fake PlayStation "patriot" virtue signaling unconditional faith like low IQ sheep. With the final touch of "go to the enemy - Xbox" "We" don't want you. Factory made headcase - perfect corporate slave. :sick:🤮

You keep crying. Online simping for Jimmy ain't gonna make it stop. And you'll just have to deal with that, for as long as you're in this forum. Today you'll go off on me, tomorrow you'll go off on someone else. It's gonna be a sad stay for you - guaranteed. There is nothing we can do with your condition, it's psychological in nature.
Look at this hating ass dude.

Bro, i dont want to be your bro, bro- clearly😂

You mad cause Jim did not give you what you wanted, i schooled your ass all over this thread and thats something you have to live with.
All day today you been talking straight bullshit like you know any better.
Lmao, gtfo

• sad
Reactions: Bryank75

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
The post you initially replied to was my first post of the day. Sure "bro". Thanks for the tour of the Special Needs Academy.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Well, the logical step in case of being able to complete the acquisition would be to keep it on PS. Both MS and Sony are interested to keep CoD on PS because it gives them a lot of money.

The question is for how long did they sign the deal and under which conditions.
  • How long does it last after the existing deal between Sony and ABK expires?
  • CoD goes console exclusive after this period or the signed that if PS continues alive with a good enough market they'll extend it?
  • Is Sony going to get 20-30% of its revenue for the platform holder or MS will do like with the other platforms with cloud gaming where they will get a 0%?
  • Does it avoid timed exclusivity of the game or dlcs?
  • Does it secure feature and content parity?
  • Does it secure that the PS version isn't going to be worse and that it will have the normal expected performance?
  • If the future games feature crossplay for MP, is PS going to be included there?
  • Once the Sony+ABK deal expires and they start including recent CoD games day one on GP, are they algo going to include them on PS+?

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

Yep the PS6 generation will be a wakeup call for Sony as Xbox has all of the big games that casuals are into. I think they will still be able to pull ps3 levels of sales because of spiderman and god of war, and probably wolverine if that becomes a franchise, but if COD ever becomes an exclusive then people will need to own multiple consoles.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Yep the PS6 generation will be a wakeup call for Sony as Xbox has all of the big games that casuals are into. I think they will still be able to pull ps3 levels of sales because of spiderman and god of war, and probably wolverine if that becomes a franchise, but if COD ever becomes an exclusive then people will need to own multiple consoles.
I love how you all assume Sony will not have created other new hit IP's before then. If it's one thing they are good at is spotting the next big social game experience as well. They simply need to be more aggressive to locking games into their ecosystem. Enough with the 1 year timed crap.

Cornered Sony was my favorite personally. The PS3 era was such a blast and they went above and beyond trying to come up with something that would stick. I hope to see that fire return.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
According to Windows Central:
  • It's a 10 years deal
  • After it ends in 2033 they'll renegotiate a renewal
  • Applies only to CoD, no other ABK games included
https://www.windowscentral.com/gami...call-of-duty-and-enter-into-binding-agreement

If PlayStation continues their tradition of releasing a new console every 7 years, this 10 years deal would mean Sony has CoD secured until the year before the PS7 release. MS website said they'll renegotiate it in 2033 once this deal expires to continue, meaning that pretty likely CoD will continue in PS beyond 2033.

Also, Sony is already working on several 1st/2nd party MP GaaS shooters that will be released in the next few years and are being made by some of the most successful talent in the area.

According to the Microsoft website Windows Central, it's a 10 years deal and once it expires in 2033 they'll renegotiate it to expand it.

The thing is, it's no longer a matter of debate what the state of the industry going forward is going to be.
This is why I say the PS6 generation will be a sight to behold for a variety of reasons.
CoD will continue in PS for 10 years and after it they may renew it. 10 years means until -pretty likely- the year before PS7 release.

Even if continues only for 10 years in PS, CoD generates $1.5B/year of the $23-25B/year generated by the PS division (under 7%) and only 8M MAU of the around 110M PS MAU play CoD on PS (under 8%).

The acquisition won't have any meaningful effect to PlayStation, so even less to the industry. Specially when Sony is working in like half a dozen GaaS shooters, many of them made by top tier devs, so in 10 years from now Sony may even be even way above MS than they are already now.

The industry will be fine. The main change will be that due to including CoD in GP day one somewhere in the future, CoD will make less revenue and profit in PC and Xbox.

Stock price dropped last year when the deal was announced, all the sony share holding doubters sold and dipped the fuck up out of there last year.
Sony stocks are fine, they are in a long term growth pattern.

Also, MS announced the acquisition in January 18 2022, when the Sony stocks were already falling since days before:
image.png

Wider context:
image.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Thunderstorm__

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Spider-Man IP will not stay exclusive forever. Disney wants to capitalize on it. Eventually, it will go 3rd party

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Sony needs to eventually dump the Disney IP altogether. Need their own versus using Disney’s or buying dead IP like Guitar Hero and Spyro when they actually have the studios that made them. Crash and Spyro… Lmao

They may want to continue spider-man indefinitely because of their success with the IP in both film and gaming but … it’s a sorta unique scenario that’s been working for them since the Tobey Maguire movies. They’ll probably attempt to renew the deal in some form.

I’m not crazy about more Marvel with Wolverine but at least Wolverine is something interesting and not some D-tier superhero stuff like Black Panther, Ms Marvel or suicide squad.

Last edited:
Reactions: kuzon

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sony needs to eventually dump the Disney IP altogether. Need their own versus using Disney’s or buying dead IP like Guitar Hero and Spyro when they actually have the studios that made them. Crash and Spyro… Lmao

They may want to continue spider-man indefinitely because of their success with the IP in both film and gaming but … it’s a sorta unique scenario that’s been working for them since the Tobey Maguire movies. They’ll probably attempt to renew the deal in some form.

I’m not crazy about more Marvel with Wolverine but at least Wolverine is something interesting and not some D-tier superhero stuff like Black Panther, Ms Marvel or suicide squad.

No.

The thing that Sony can rely on that Disney can't right now is Sony's studios seem to know how to make a great games out of a license. If WOlverine is a hit, the odds of Sony getting more contracts with Disney are high.

If that Iron-man game thats being made by Anthem team is shit or disappoints. Sony can pick to do whatever they want. I want a max payne/last of us gore Punisher.

That with semi open levels and interrogation gameplay like Volition's title. Imagine the shooting being very Max payne with great weapons gunplay could have a cool MP with unlockable characters from Punisher world.

The Russian, Jigsaw, Loony Bin Jim, bullseye ect.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Outside of Spider-man and the Arkham games capeshit has been a bust in gaming and does not mirror its previous cinema success.

Last thing we need is gaming turning into Hollywood where the only thing being made is Marvel and Star Wars popcorn gaming fodder and whatever else Disney repurposes and shits out.

Disney behaves like Microsoft. Just buy everything when they’re incapable of creating something new. Just as bad.

Hoping Sony keeps the Marvel at a minimum and just at Insomniac. It works for them…

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Outside of Spider-man and the Arkham games capeshit has been a bust in gaming and does not mirror its previous cinema success.

Last thing we need is gaming turning into Hollywood where the only thing being made is Marvel and Star Wars popcorn gaming fodder and whatever else Disney repurposes and shits out.

Disney behaves like Microsoft. Just buy everything when they’re incapable of creating something new. Just as bad.

Hoping Sony keeps the Marvel at a minimum and just at Insomniac. It works for them…

My point was hollywood screwed up on those properties, but I think Sony and video games in general if done correctly can still do well and bring people in that want to play their character they love without BS takes on the source material.

If Wolverine is a banger, Like I said the rumors a while ago were Neil Druckman among a couple other studio heads from multiple Playstation studios were all tweeting wanting to do their own takes on popular characters.

I think the Black panther game will bomb unless its similar to splinter cell for something.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
My point was hollywood screwed up on those properties, but I think Sony and video games in general if done correctly can still do well and bring people in that want to play their character they love without BS takes on the source material.

If Wolverine is a banger, Like I said the rumors a while ago were Neil Druckman among a couple other studio heads from multiple Playstation studios were all tweeting wanting to do their own takes on popular characters.

I think the Black panther game will bomb unless its similar to splinter cell for something.

I’m always down for more Batman and Wolverine (even tho it’s never been done well outside of Capcom fighters).

I’m hoping Wolverine is great. Spider-man doesn’t have my interest. Expecting Wolverine to be a Ragnarok style beat ‘em up vs the more casual open world direction. I want to be excited for that one.

To some extent I think Sony is planning their own internal take on Avengers depending on what characters they can sweep up. Not crazy about it but if it’s all at Insomniac I expect it to be handled well.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
How are Xbots pushing the narrative that Sony hurt themselves oposing the deal? They delayed it (even if just a little bit), they got 10 years instead of 3 if they had signed before, they exposed MS completely due to those internal emails. We don't even know what MS had to do to get the CMA to approve it, it would be really odd for the CMA to just suddenly change it's mind in a timely manner to ensure the deal didn't collapse.

The only thing that make Sony looks bad is that coverage is extremely one sided and that Sony own internal decisions not directly related to this have been very questionable lately. Sony PR and marketing team should be under the microscope right now, they have done a terrible and lazy job for half a decade at this point.