Sony to Take Action as PS5, PS4 Owners Play Less Than Anticipated

Status
Not open for further replies.
24 Jun 2022
If sony would give me a handheld that would let me play my PS1 classics, PS2 Classic, My Digital PSP Games, Stream PS3 games, My Digital PS Vita Games (Please have a rear touch pad for this), Play Digital PS4 Games, and Stream PS5 games I would be a happy man! I just would hate to see another Sony Handheld not sell 100 million plus.

Do you know what chips the xperia phones use? I recently got a Sony Xperia 5 iii because of its camera features and just curious if it was 7nm or smaller?

If they're like other companies such as Apple and Samsung, Sony are probably using whatever cutting-edge node process is widely available, so I'd guess 5nm. Although it's hard to say, given again sales for their phones aren't great so maybe they don't invest as much into going for the smallest available node.

But as far as a handheld is concerned, since something like this wouldn't be specifically getting its own games per se, I don't think it'd need to sell anywhere near 100 million. They could price it for a profit margin from release and it's basically an extension of PS4 & PS5 in terms of the games it can support (native or streaming). Long as there are enough to meet demand, which would be (IMO) notably higher than Steam Deck's, but maybe less than the Switch's (I say that as a "maybe" though because Switch is getting long in the tooth and some people would definitely like a much more powerful and feature-rich handheld by now).

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I streamed Ghost of Tsushima Director's and Gravity Rush Remastered and didn't have any issue with an ethernet connection besides the tutorial part in GOT because of the slight input delay and maybe controlling Kat in some parts was a bit iffy but I think that's because I had gyro on. I've only tied a few PS3 games tho
I just tried connecting with cable. The psn speeds most doubled and gow1 steaming for much less stutter. Is stable now but the audio still sounds like it’s underwater or in a pipe. No more cracking though

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I just tried connecting with cable. The psn speeds most doubled and gow1 steaming for much less stutter. Is stable now but the audio still sounds like it’s underwater or in a pipe. No more cracking though

Completely normal. Sound is crap during streaming.

Feels more like a Youtube video than actual gaming.

Well that’s streaming for you.

Reactions: rofif

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
This is the exact reason why Sony needs to lean into GaaS. Their single player AAAA model can only carry them so far and is risky when you get a misfire. You can’t evolve it and generate new revenue when it’s a single player game.
This is why the turn around time on single player dlc chapters/mini standlone story games that can be chopped up for PS+ monthly game/used as day 1 PS+ "games", needs to be quicker.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I’d rather sony concentrate on putting out some GAAS titles rather than butcher their single player games trying to squeeze more money out of them. It was only a matter of time before we start to see more heavy monetization with their single player games, like more paid expansions, more expensive stand alone spin offs, more stuff like miles morales where you can’t get the original remaster without it.

Feels like in-game mtx is just around the corner if sony doesn’t expand their line up to multiplayer service specific games

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
But WHY? Why would someone honestly not like their strategy? Does someone who has had a season pass to Disneyland, every year since 1980, get mad at the couple that visits for just one single day? Do you see how ridiculous that sounds? That's what some of the people are getting upset at. They don't like the fact that some PC gamers didn't buy a ps4/5, but will buy their games on steam.

Do some of y'all warriors actually prefer

Or

for Sony pockets?

I'll probably explain this really badly, just gonna write free form and hopefully people can follow it through. Everything loops around, sort-of.

I keep saying that Sony need to provide a full meal to it's customers, right? I think they're currently lazy and do the absolute bare minimum, too assured on other people's PS4 success. The focus on brands and IPs, like being able to say we have this Marvel character or that one; is good for projecting a sense of prestige/Apple-like marketing. However it is the secrecy in communication that's the problem. Or how a few bad steps can badly damage an IP (tlou2's story, tlou p1 remake controversy). It's only cosplaying as Apple, a pretender to the thrown. Mutton dressed as lamb. Fur coat and no knickers. No substance underneath the surface. Whilst BC support is here now with PS+ retooling, it could have happened mid-PS4 gen. Flip those Sony developed PS1, PS2, PSP emulators on for public use. Wrap more games up in the emulation code and have them run on PS4 despite it originally being a PSP game, like Parappa. Or give more games the PS4 glow-up/retooling like Tearaway Unfolded and others got. I legit couldn't play MK9 on PSNow through the sea of pixellated lag. At the time it was the only way to play it on a PS4/XBO/PS5/XBSX, but it just wasn't fit for purpose. Taking the wrong lessons from Microsoft. It's the BC that's important, not the streaming implimentation. I only care about streaming as far as whatever backstage way it contributes to Remote Play and SharePlay. Even over on XBGP it's the downloadability of all the titles that I through was it's biggest triumph and PSNow's biggest stumbling block, not Day 1 Releases or streaming games.

As a games player, I don't want 50 consoles plugged into the TV all the time, or to have a SDTV on hand for older consoles. I don't mind current gen exclusives to sell the new console, but then I think as long as you stay within a console's ecosystem, you should carry forward your BC library from console-console. This is all a wink and a nod anyway, I keep going back to the example of RE2 PS1. If Sony finally put it on the PS+ service, I hope they honor my PS3 digital purchase of it, I have no hope for authenticating my original PS1 disc etc. I'm unlikely to pay to rent the game on their monthly highest tier. Who asked for streaming and monthly fees? It's not up there currently, and I've already bought it several times over. You're not serving your audience fully. The fact I'm even pissing and moaning about the inability to legally play something I've purchased instead of just saying 'fuck it, off to emulation land I go', is rediculous. I want everything for free, some might say? I'd pay higher for a PS5 that ran PS1,2,3,4 and retooled PSP, PSVita games, for one thing. Or I'd buy BC games thrown-up on the PStore if more were there. I don't mind paying/paying more if the service/quality is up to scratch, if you really wanna take a shot at being Apple, lets get some of that so-called One Sony synergy going. I'm not paying, sometimes over and over, for shoddy service. The hard part, the new blockbuster games, they still sell, and Sony shouldn't do Day 1 releases on PS+ unless they're smaller titles like Stray did it, or a MP/GAAS game to get it a strong opening foothold like Fall Guys did. So just do more, do the easier side as well?

Instead of expanding outwards and chasing PC with ports of their exclusive games and eroding the very need to have the console the first place, or the next console they try to sell. They should be drawing people nearer with a more unified PS console/companion device ecosystem. Here's a new Sony movie/TV show, but the game is only available on PS ecosystem. Don't wanna be tied to your TV? Got shit to do in real life? PS4 level portable device with all needed buttons and a better BC support, and suddenly you can take your games on the go, can stream/remote play other devices. Your gamesaves, your gamescore, your party chats and messaging, all the usual console media apps that didn't all go to Vita in the UK. You're not ragging your phone's battery for Remote Play. A PSP would split the difference between looking stylish to pull-out in public unlike the oversized Steam Deck or colorful Switch. Here's how I see what Sony could do. All those half-baked social ideas on PS4 like Live From PS? Refine, build a PS-tied content creation/influencer type of thing all centered around PS. Game Challenge for boss rushes your friends have snipped together in some PS OS app, you live stream the video to your followers as you try to beat it, on the train or something. Just cause you're out of the house doesn't mean you have to stop playing, or posting content right? The amount people live stream to social media walking down the street, or stream games on Twitch, I think Sony could come-in and distrupt all that with a PS social platform that feeds-back into PS. They could bypass traditional social media announcements and release scoops, dev diaries and such in that News Cards feed on PS5 menu. You don't think Twitter will blow-up regardless? And then the articles will follow? But you establish the idea that the breaking updates? Better be on your PS5 or have your PS4-P in your pocket. Don't point to XB and Mixer, MS managed to fuck up Skype. Sony have the heritage, the IPs, hopefully the tech-fashion know-how to make an attractive portable again etc.

TLDR:
BC + Portability + AAA Blockbuster Exclusives > Streaming, Chasing PC and anything else they've picked-up from MS.
And, they could do SO MUCH more with their marketing/communication and building a sense of hype/street cred/exclusiveness/brand loyalty again.

Insert the usual Fiddle-on Nero, whilst Rome burns/Tortoise & Hare comparisons I've made before.

Status
Not open for further replies.