Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

DForce

24 Jun 2022
So the 3.6 billion Sony gave Bungie was goodwill?

You make it sound like it was a marriage contract.

Microsoft are free to turn ABK into dust once they have paid and the acquisition is closed.

It’s their property.

Not wasting my time here. This acquisition must be the most unique in history.

The bought is the one calling the shots and the owner is accepting it.
MS has yet to complete the ABK deal and MS likely has to accept remedies in order to get this deal finalized. According to you, MS can ignore this because they bought it.

That's not how this world works. lol

You can buy things in this world, but that doesn't mean you own everything completely.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
MS has yet to complete the ABK deal and MS likely has to accept remedies in order to get this deal finalized. According to you, MS can ignore this because they bought it.

That's not how this world works. lol

You can buy things in this world, but that doesn't mean you own everything completely.

I clearly said once closed.

Crow

Banned
15 Jul 2023
It doesn't matter if Xbox makes more sense for them. I want them taken off the board, they have valuable IPs and/or talented RPG teams.

Square Enix made more sense for Sony, and so did ABK, but one was on Microsoft's hit list and the other looks to be successfully acquired (which is insane, but that's what corruption and perversion of organs of state gets you).
Larian realy only has 1 ip which is popular which is divinity sin 2. They dont own baldur gate. Their a good studio though. But i doubt their selling, and it probably wouldn't be to sony. Same with CDPR but their not selling at all. I want Sony to get SE.

ABK cost too much for Sony. So it wouldnt of made sense. I wouldnt put any stock in that list. Nintendo was on it. Its just a list

24 Jun 2022
Larian realy only has 1 ip which is popular which is divinity sin 2. They dont own baldur gate. Their a good studio though. But i doubt their selling, and it probably wouldn't be to sony. Same with CDPR but their not selling at all. I want Sony to get SE.

ABK cost too much for Sony. So it wouldnt of made sense. I wouldnt put any stock in that list. Nintendo was on it. Its just a list

Disney bought Fox.

People really have to stop being so single-minded that a company can only buy another company if they're like a small fraction of their market valuation. That's not how most M&As actually work.

That said, there was little of value in Sony to pursue acquiring a company like ABK especially since ABK are overvalued in the market (IMO). So yes Sony would have never made that acquisition, but not because they could not afford to.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Disney bought Fox.

People really have to stop being so single-minded that a company can only buy another company if they're like a small fraction of their market valuation. That's not how most M&As actually work.

That said, there was little of value in Sony to pursue acquiring a company like ABK especially since ABK are overvalued in the market (IMO). So yes Sony would have never made that acquisition, but not because they could not afford to.
It's a horizontal merger albeit.

Crow

Banned
15 Jul 2023
Disney bought Fox.

Sure Sony can buy ABK but its too risky for them. They don't have the money like that to waste. Sony should just stick to smaller publishers that wont send them into debt if they try to buy them.

Reactions: Arminius
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I guess that Sony will buy first Square Enix and after that CDPR. With both of them they would solve big gaps in their portfolio.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
Sure Sony can buy ABK but its too risky for them. They don't have the money like that to waste. Sony should just stick to smaller publishers that wont send them into debt if they try to buy them.

You do know companies can make acquisitions with things other than upfront cash? They can take out loans (that is what Microsoft is doing for ABK actually), do mixes of stock options & cash, etc.

But like I said, Sony as a platform holder has no interest in acquiring publishers like ABK. Not necessarily out of cost, but due to all the redundancies and difficulties in addressing work culture problems, integrating a publisher that massive into their corporate structure, and honestly because outside of COD, Candy Crush and Diablo I don't think ABK provide much value in terms of IP that would be of interest to Sony and lack a lot of transmedia appeal.

It's a horizontal merger albeit.

That makes the Disney/Fox M&A even worst :/ Still surprised how it went through.

Crow

Banned
15 Jul 2023
You do know companies can make acquisitions with things other than upfront cash? They can take out loans (that is what Microsoft is doing for ABK actually), do mixes of stock options & cash, etc.

But like I said, Sony as a platform holder has no interest in acquiring publishers like ABK. Not necessarily out of cost, but due to all the redundancies and difficulties in addressing work culture problems, integrating a publisher that massive into their corporate structure, and honestly because outside of COD, Candy Crush and Diablo I don't think ABK provide much value in terms of IP that would be of interest to Sony and lack a lot of transmedia appeal.

That makes the Disney/Fox M&A even worst :/ Still surprised how it went through.
Doesnt matter. Sony buying ABK was never going to happpen. Bobby shopped around for who had the better deal and MS was the highest bidder. Sony needs to stick to smaller publishers. They don't need a massive publisher with a lot of bloat. They should acquire SE then go from there. If their willing to sale.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Sony should buy Take 2. If Take 2 could afford Zynga, Sony can afford them. Acquire SE, Capcom, From and Larian + CDPR. Doesn't matter if they don't want to sell. Make the offer they can't refuse while microsoft is mired with trying to make a profit for once in their pathetic existence.

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Sony should buy Take 2. If Take 2 could afford Zynga, Sony can afford them. Acquire SE, Capcom, From and Larian + CDPR. Doesn't matter if they don't want to sell. Make the offer they can't refuse while microsoft is mired with trying to make a profit for once in their pathetic existence.
Take two lost 1.2 billion dollar dollar in their latest report. EA might be a better alternative.
IMO they should go for Capcom, Ubisoft, From. As for RPG studio they should go for Larian or CDPR as you said.

Reactions: Puff

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023
Take two lost 1.2 billion dollar dollar in their latest report. EA might be a better alternative.
IMO they should go for Capcom, Ubisoft, From. As for RPG studio they should go for Larian or CDPR as you said.

U dont buy take2 for their profit margins. They re mismanaged (long release cycles, focusing on irrelevatn stuff, too much devs and employees etc).
U buy them to secure ips like GTA as defense move to secure market position. U buy them to sell ps+ subs, consoles etc. Im certain they d keep gta multiplat for at least 10 years. Stuff like nba, wwe must stays multi either way.

EA s way too much expensive for what they offer. Biggest money makers re sport stuff which must stay multiplat. But of course it d be solid merger if sony goes after them.

No way they can buy square and capcom (both)in japan. FTC and nintendo d get involved for sure. Maybe one of them, sure.

I still think they can make huge moves even for smaller price. FROM, cdpr, larian.....but they re cheap, conservative and it ll bait them in the back.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
U dont buy take2 for their profit margins. They re mismanaged (long release cycles, focusing on irrelevatn stuff, too much devs and employees etc).
U buy them to secure ips like GTA as defense move to secure market position. U buy them to sell ps+ subs, consoles etc. Im certain they d keep gta multiplat for at least 10 years. Stuff like nba, wwe must stays multi either way.

EA s way too much expensive for what they offer. Biggest money makers re sport stuff which must stay multiplat. But of course it d be solid merger if sony goes after them.

No way they can buy square and capcom (both)in japan. FTC and nintendo d get involved for sure. Maybe one of them, sure.

I still think they can make huge moves even for smaller price. FROM, cdpr, larian.....but they re cheap, conservative and it ll bait them in the back.
That's why they go for Capcom and buy up Shares in Sqaure.

Can Sony even take on a publisher like Take Two with all their overhead costs?

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
That's why they go for Capcom and buy up Shares in Sqaure.

Can Sony even take on a publisher like Take Two with all their overhead costs?
I don’t think Capcom will sell anytime soon. The majority of shares is held by a family. Sony does value other Japanese franchises more than SF, Resident etc.

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
This is why the EU are one of the biggest problems. I doubt anyone will let Sony get a publisher. corrupted cunts
Finally, the Commission notes that Sony's market position is even more significant in distribution of console games when considering only the competition between two closely competing consoles, Microsoft's Xbox and Sony's PlayStation, and excluding Nintendo's activities from the competitive landscape. For example, when considering the sale of console hardware excluding Nintendo, Sony is a leading player worldwide and particularly in the EEA with more than 60% and around [80- 90]% share, respectively. Sony's worldwide a share of console hardware in 2021 is [70-80]% by revenue, [60-70]% by volume and [60-70]% by installed base. Sony's EEA share in 2021 is even higher: [80-90]% by revenue, [70-80]% by volume and [80-90]% by installed base. By comparison, Microsoft's share is [...] smaller based on all metrics (value, volume, installed base).
MS/ABK won't have a monopoly of the shooter market

In the worldwide market for development and publishing of AAA shooter console video games, the combined entity's market share exceeds 20% by revenue in 2022 worldwide ([30-40]%). Therefore, the Commission has assessed whether the Transaction gives rise to competition concerns with regard to horizontal non- coordinated effects in the worldwide market for the distribution of AAA shooter console video games.

Last edited: