Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
WB studios would be insane... Imagine a New IP by Rocksteady with PS budget and resources?
That'd be sick! And something that hadn't occured to me yet.

I'd personally been looking at WB myself from a more NeatherRealm/DC/MK lense; with regard to the EVO investment Sony did and the co-branding association as the console for fighting games. As well as any liscensing barriers it would knock down in terms of DC/Marvel, MK/SF, Capcom/Marvel/Sony to synergize movie/game relations to each other.

Reactions: Bryank75

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
That'd be sick! And something that hadn't occured to me yet.

I'd personally been looking at WB myself from a more NeatherRealm/DC/MK lense; with regard to the EVO investment Sony did and the co-branding association as the console for fighting games. As well as any liscensing barriers it would knock down in terms of DC/Marvel, MK/SF, Capcom/Marvel/Sony to synergize movie/game relations to each other.

I don't think WB would sell their IPs like DC, in term of games. MK maybe/probably.

Or maybe you were talking about Sony buying WB as whole?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I don't think WB would sell their IPs like DC, in term of games. MK maybe/probably.

Or maybe you were talking about Sony buying WB as whole?

Well, all of WB has talented studios, or liscenses in place already to make the games. But they're wanting to dump the studios and liscense-out to someone anyway, I think.

I'd buy all, but even if the deal is game studios only and liscenses negotiated individually, I feel there must be some synergistic deal for Sony and WB/Disc on a media or perhaps music basis if its supposed to be "One Sony" as company motto, ya know?

But I also think there's something to Sony's pedigree. I think they should have let MLB flounder with their liscense and no game as they released Sony Sports Baseball (or something better sounding). The game teams are most important, but I think Sony should have the inclination to get as many liscensed IP as possible after securing the talent.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75 and arvfab

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
WB Discovery actually went down in value.....

So if they went in to try and get over 50% of the shares or even buy the whole company....I think it is doable in the present state.

35 billion market cap right now. down from 40 or more. Could wait for it to go down more though.

That would make Sony probably the most powerful overall entertainment company in the world, which would be a big picture move.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
I think it would be stupid for Sony to buy any publisher, pretty much all of the western ones are poorly run and full of dead weight, many of them can hardly get games out of the door anymore. Sony biggest advantage right now is how productive and well oiled their whole gaming operation is, it would be a massive step back to get involved with studios that don't have it figured out.

I think they pretty much have the AAA games covered, what they need right now, specially after the PS+ restructure is to invest in smaller studios, helping them take that next step even if they don't necessarily buy them. Studios like Amber Labs, the guys behind Outer Wilds, that studio that made FTL/Into the Breach, Hello Games and so on.

Some quality indie games, with a premium look day one on PS+ make a lot more sense for the service than day one AAA games. They could even work with these quality small studios on PlayStation IPs that are not being used as a way to get them more visibility. These could be published under a different label like movie studios do.

They really need to stop the partnerships with unproven studios like IllFonic and Lucid Games, that is just not working at all.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I think it would be stupid for Sony to buy any publisher, pretty much all of the western ones are poorly run and full of dead weight, many of them can hardly get games out of the door anymore. Sony biggest advantage right now is how productive and well oiled their whole gaming operation is, it would be a massive step back to get involved with studios that don't have it figured out.

I think they pretty much have the AAA games covered, what they need right now, specially after the PS+ restructure is to invest in smaller studios, helping them take that next step even if they don't necessarily buy them. Studios like Amber Labs, the guys behind Outer Wilds, that studio that made FTL/Into the Breach, Hello Games and so on.

Some quality indie games, with a premium look day one on PS+ make a lot more sense for the service than day one AAA games. They could even work with these quality small studios on PlayStation IPs that are not being used as a way to get them more visibility. These could be published under a different label like movie studios do.

They really need to stop the partnerships with unproven studios like IllFonic and Lucid Games, that is just not working at all.

100% agree with your last sentence and I feel strongly about it. I also feel Firesprite was quite unproven along with Haven.... could have let them release something first.

Reactions: nominedomine

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
100% agree with your last sentence and I feel strongly about it. I also feel Firesprite was quite unproven along with Haven.... could have let them release something first.
I mean if they saw what they were working on an were impressed I get why they made the move. It's better to risk some money to get in early on than wait until you are late to the party.

24 Jun 2022
My target if the aim was to even the industry out from an acquisitions perspective would be...

Ubisoft.

Put their content on PSPlus for free and charge full price on Xbox and PC. That would be an absolute hammer blow to Xbox as they are a company that have regular releases and many of the 3rd person action games that sell on Xbox.

CDPR would also be a target and WB.

But Ubisoft does a massive amount of damage to the overturned crab that is Xbox.

From that POV I guess it makes sense, but personally I just don't care for too many Ubisoft IP outside of Rayman and Rider's Republic.

But looking at it from a point of redundancies, both of those IP are arguably redundant when Sony have their own mascot platformers (Astrobot, Jak & Daxtar, Sly Cooper, Tomba! etc.) and a racing IP they could expand into something online-centric (Motorstorm).

For the optics tho to change the market dynamics and put a squeeze on other companies like Microsoft, though, Ubisoft is a good target in that respect I suppose.

Wouldn't go near WB or Ubisoft.

WB studios is Warner Bros. in name only. You are not getting any IPs with them other than Mortal Kombat. The parent company Warner Bros. owns all the IPs related to DC and they are not for sale.

Ubisoft are bloated and their games are way past their sell by date.

For me Square Enix and Capcom are the only 2 viable purchases. Capcom is probably out of the equation too after the Saudis bought a stake.

I thought the newer word on the WB stuff was that the buyer of those studios would get access to DC property? Agreed tho that it probably doesn't make for a good deal without getting access to the DC characters tho, since they're the main draw.

Agreed on Ubisoft too, from a personal POV. Just look at stuff like Skull & Bones, it looks outdated AF from a design POV. I'm kinda worried about Capcom and SNK output in the future with the Saudi stakes (or in SNK's case, just being outright owned by the now) if it starts veering into Tencent territory or worst, but at least for now it looks like business as usual and hopefully remains that way permanently.

Reactions: Muddasar

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Both Ubisoft and Warner are terrible fits for Sony. If they end up acquiring them I hope they threat it like Bungie so that they won't poison PlayStation Studios.

Take-Two would've made sense before the Zynga acquisition, they actually are pretty aligned with how Sony operates but were probably way to expensive to begging whit.

I have no idea how much Valve would cost but they are on paper the prefect complement to Sony, specially if it's done in a way that Valve is still free to do their own thing like Bungie. Steam, VR, e-sports, PC games, portable, top tier devs, great IPs (that can be used outside of games), you get everything.

Now, out of the most realistic options, the publishers that fit PlayStation studios are the Japanese ones but there isn't that much incentive for Sony to buy them given that they already are strongly tied to PlayStation. SE is a good fit but most of their games are already PlayStation timed exclusives anyway and it's not like SE has the choice to realistic not release their main games on PlayStation. Maybe if Sony was going to try their luck on the portable market again Capcom would make sense to secure Monster Hunter (pretty much the only truly big series on the Switch that isn't made by Nintendo).

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
WB Discovery actually went down in value.....

So if they went in to try and get over 50% of the shares or even buy the whole company....I think it is doable in the present state.

35 billion market cap right now. down from 40 or more. Could wait for it to go down more though.

That would make Sony probably the most powerful overall entertainment company in the world, which would be a big picture move.
If that scenario is possible, Sony should just buy warner/Disc now wholesale. There's way too many alignments across games and media (TV/movie/streaming) for Sony to just pass up, right?

They already lost the bid for MGM's back catalouge a while back. If they're selling their new content to the highest stream bidder, dont they still need to "restock" their offerings for launching BraviaCore service?

• fire

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
WB’s studios are more valuable than the IP tbh

The IP of course is really valuable but not to license it or potentially have them made multiplatform under sony studios. Sony have a unique bargaining chip with the Spider-man IP that prevents that but they won’t have it with Warner Bros.

Get all the warner bros studios and have them make original IP or marvel stuff,

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
WB’s studios are more valuable than the IP tbh

The IP of course is really valuable but not to license it or potentially have them made multiplatform under sony studios. Sony have a unique bargaining chip with the Spider-man IP that prevents that but they won’t have it with Warner Bros.

Get all the warner bros studios and have them make original IP or marvel stuff,

Theres loads of options... Sony seem to be cosying up to Lego too, so they could keep the Lego licenses potentially if they committed to at least PC or potentially multiplat releases, which would be worth it from a revenue / profit perspective.

Gotham Knight shows that DC IP's are not a sure-fire hit, so putting Rocksteady and the others to work on Marvel IP's of their choice but focused more on a narrative single player game might work out way better.

Or they could do a game based on The Boys or something...loads of options.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Theres loads of options... Sony seem to be cosying up to Lego too, so they could keep the Lego licenses potentially if they committed to at least PC or potentially multiplat releases, which would be worth it from a revenue / profit perspective.

Gotham Knight shows that DC IP's are not a sure-fire hit, so putting Rocksteady and the others to work on Marvel IP's of their choice but focused more on a narrative single player game might work out way better.

Or they could do a game based on The Boys or something...loads of options.

They should make a playstation lego game. I guess Astrobot already can kind of that if they wanted it though

• brain

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
So since Sony has 18 confirmed game studios and they don't count XDev one.. Who do you think is next on the buying spree?

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
So since Sony has 18 confirmed game studios and they don't count XDev one.. Who do you think is next on the buying spree?

I think it will be someone like Illfonic or Iron Galaxy..... maybe Ember Lab

But who I want.....

CDPR / From / Arc System Works or Warner / Square

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
Other than SE, I really think they should grab
Deviation
Arc System Works
Emberlab
Arrowhead
Hello Games
Camouflaj
Supermassive
Sloclap
If Sony is serious about VR then they will need more VR studios right? Camouflaj would be great for that.

EmberLab and Arrowhead are studio that could really shine under SIE.

• brain