Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
They opened up a Japanese studio too and that seems like someone is funding them don't you think?

Yeah, I think there was something about them trying to recruit all the best people they could in Japan.... but I guess we will have to see if something turns up about that.

Zuby would be great to have on here, he would possibly have something on that.

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
Yeah, I think there was something about them trying to recruit all the best people they could in Japan.... but I guess we will have to see if something turns up about that.

Zuby would be great to have on here, he would possibly have something on that.
I agree with that too!
Zuby is a good guy.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I don’t see sloclap happening, they are pretty limited as far as output goes. I would like to see what they could do with a bigger budget and maybe a licensed ip like daredevil or something.

But they’re a bit too niche to consider a buy-out. I think deviation and Ember Lab are the most realistic and obvious right now. Anything else is just pure conjecture

Some of these indie studios are good but could probably do with some multi-game deals before being bought, see how they perform long term over teh course of two more games. I guess the only threat with that is how hungry embracer, epic, microsoft, tencent, netease, and other publishers are for talent. Its also better to buy a studio early on and maintain loyalty than to buy them bigger and have to worry about people leaving.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
I don’t see sloclap happening, they are pretty limited as far as output goes. I would like to see what they could do with a bigger budget and maybe a licensed ip like daredevil or something.

But they’re a bit too niche to consider a buy-out. I think deviation and Ember Lab are the most realistic and obvious right now. Anything else is just pure conjecture

Some of these indie studios are good but could probably do with some multi-game deals before being bought, see how they perform long term over teh course of two more games. I guess the only threat with that is how hungry embracer, epic, microsoft, tencent, netease, and other publishers are for talent. Its also better to buy a studio early on and maintain loyalty than to buy them bigger and have to worry about people leaving.
They could be a XDev project rather than being bought?

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
They could be a XDev project rather than being bought?

Yeah, 3rd party partnerships are always a viable option and im sure as we go back and forth there are probably multiple projects XDev are working on right at this moment. So we just wait and see

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
Yeah, 3rd party partnerships are always a viable option and im sure as we go back and forth there are probably multiple projects XDev are working on right at this moment. So we just wait and see
Plus XDev is working in japan right now too? I think JPGAMES is perfect for XDev

RickyBooby87

8 Jul 2022
SquareEnix is a no brainer, heck they already got FF7R exclusivity on consoles (Who knows when if ever it'll come to Xbox) and FF16 is another actual console exclusive, and SE has a massive hit with FF14. PlayStation is all about that live service stuff now.

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
SquareEnix is a no brainer, heck they already got FF7R exclusivity on consoles (Who knows when if ever it'll come to Xbox) and FF16 is another actual console exclusive, and SE has a massive hit with FF14. PlayStation is all about that live service stuff now.
Do you think PS would ever get SE though? That would be a massive reveal IMO.

RickyBooby87

8 Jul 2022
Do you think PS would ever get SE though? That would be a massive reveal IMO.

It's not entirely impossible, but then again, they may never have to actually buy them, it doesn't seem like many Japanese developers get purchased. They could continue to just buy exclusivity and keep those games PS exclusive for the most part. With Microsoft buying Bethesda and Activision, I think it left a lot of people in the pilots seat wondering about what to do next as far as third party games go as it relates to multiplatform availability. Microsoft obviously struck the first blow, so I imagine 3rd party acquisition is a hot topic amongst everyone at this point in fear of Microsoft or whomever whittling away at the current 3rd party options on the market with their vast purchasing power. Thus far, Microsoft hasn't proven to be a good steward as far studio prestige goes, sure, they've got some pretty good BC tech/offerings. But a good chunk of their studios are hollowed out remnants of something once decent and good.

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
It's not entirely impossible, but then again, they may never have to actually buy them, it doesn't seem like many Japanese developers get purchased. They could continue to just buy exclusivity and keep those games PS exclusive for the most part. With Microsoft buying Bethesda and Activision, I think it left a lot of people in the pilots seat wondering about what to do next as far as third party games go as it relates to multiplatform availability. Microsoft obviously struck the first blow, so I imagine 3rd party acquisition is a hot topic amongst everyone at this point in fear of Microsoft or whomever whittling away at the current 3rd party options on the market with their vast purchasing power. Thus far, Microsoft hasn't proven to be a good steward as far studio prestige goes, sure, they've got some pretty good BC tech/offerings. But a good chunk of their studios are hollowed out remnants of something once decent and good.
I agree and MS have to show that they can lead these studios and give great games IMO. That is one of Sony's strength's and expanding and investing into teams and having games show that talent.

I think Sony knows that they can't lose Square Enix and sooner or later Square Enix will be within PlayStation. The next 12 months will be wild i think?

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
I think that makes it less likely that they'll would buy SE. Why buy them when they already have about five console exclusives on the way including big games like Forspoken, FFXVI and FFVII Rebirth? MS is not going to buy SE and SE won't start working on Xbox exclusive games.

Reactions: RickyBooby87

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
I think that makes it less likely that they'll would buy SE. Why buy them when they already have about five console exclusives on the way including big games like Forspoken, FFXVI and FFVII Rebirth? MS is not going to buy SE and SE won't start working on Xbox exclusive games.
The saying *Why buy the cow when you already get the milk*

Reactions: nominedomine

Aidendelaney95

9 Jul 2022
Surprised they haven't already snapped up Deviation Games yet. Unless they have behind the scenes and just waiting for the right moment to announce it.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Yeah... My brain completely substitites or merges Double Helix and Iron Galaxy. Thanks, Killer Instict. Although I did learn that Adam Boyes isnt currently employed by Amazon Game Studios like I thought, that company was DH, and he's co-CEO of IG.

So the question now becomes, MS dont want IG and NRS for an KI vs MK game? Sony dont want to throw the Bloody Roar IP over to IG for future EVO events?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
The saying *Why buy the cow when you already get the milk*
I believe the answer is in today's industry: at least buy some cows so that you own them, when MS, Embracer, Apple, TenCent, Google, Saudie Royalty etc all pile in and buy the whole farm.

That's how we end up with embarassing shit like Sony having a marketing/timed exclusitivity deal with Deathloop, meanwhile it's now MS's IP cause they bought the company, and you're just left cooking small potatotes. Picking the right cows now should help Sony very well in future.

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
I believe the answer is in today's industry: at least buy some cows so that you own them, when MS, Embracer, Apple, TenCent, Google, Saudie Royalty etc all pile in and buy the whole farm.

That's how we end up with embarassing shit like Sony having a marketing/timed exclusitivity deal with Deathloop, meanwhile it's now MS's IP cause they bought the company, and you're just left cooking small potatotes. Picking the right cows now should help Sony very well in future.
This is true too and buying Square Enix would get them XIV which is a cash cow these days too.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
Yeah... My brain completely substitites or merges Double Helix and Iron Galaxy. Thanks, Killer Instict. Although I did learn that Adam Boyes isnt currently employed by Amazon Game Studios like I thought, that company was DH, and he's co-CEO of IG.

So the question now becomes, MS dont want IG and NRS for an KI vs MK game? Sony dont want to throw the Bloody Roar IP over to IG for future EVO events?
Sony could get studios like Wushu Studios and Iron Galaxy imo