Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
You are embarrassing.

Do yourself a favour and get yourself an Xbox.

The grass in greener there.
As if Xbox sucking was ever an excuse for PlayStation to do a poor job as well.

Again, If you can't deal with criticism of Sony that is your problem not mine.

I would take you guys seriously if not for the obvious denial when it comes to the direction Sony is going: "They are hiding the games", "Wait for the secret showcase", "Sony is about to make their big move trust me bro", "We have Spider-man and Wolverine".

It's pretty obvious what you guys are, blind fanboys that take offense at any criticism of Sony and think that anyone that doesn't bow and praise everything Sony does is an Xbot. We should discuss personal preference not dismiss all criticism because the console is selling well (as it always was going to anyway).

Reactions: Puff
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Rubbing their hands to buy/open new mobile/GaaS/PC studios.

It look more like panic when you guys can't deal with it and instead fantasize about Sony doing stuff they likely won't do.
Bro you’re and the others are the one who are fantasising about scenarios which will never happen. There is no indication at all that Microsoft will ever get Square Enix. Did you forget they were rejected for a second time? Sega also rejected them in 2022 and blocked an hostile takeover. Closest thing to they got was a partnership for MS Azure. Every darn day you and your doom & gloom mongers preaching how MS will buy everything and put Sony out of business. Just stop. There is no indication that MS can poaching in Japan. You rather listen to some toxic Xbox clout chaser like Iron Lord then thinking rationally. Fine do whatever you want. Keep getting lulled by Xbox fanboy’s delusional takes.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Bro you’re and the others are the one who are fantasising about scenarios which will never happen. There is no indication at all that Microsoft will ever get Square Enix. Did you forget they were rejected for a second time? Sega also rejected them in 2022 and blocked an hostile takeover. Closest thing to they got was a partnership for MS Azure. Every darn day you and your doom & gloom mongers preaching how MS will buy everything and put Sony out of business. Just stop. There is no indication that MS can poaching in Japan. You rather listen to some toxic Xbox clout chaser like Iron Lord then thinking rationally. Fine do whatever you want. Keep getting lulled by Xbox fanboy’s delusional takes.
You don't know that, MS could very well buy a Japanese publisher, they clearly were strongly considering it and they have the money.

Buying Minecraft, Bethesda and ABK all looked far fetched before they did it.

Sony could buy a Japanse publisher as well but so far there has been no indication of them doing that.

Maybe it's just that Spider-man doesn't do it for me (good games but not the reason why I liked PlayStation studios), I miss the days when Sony would make games like Bloodborne, Shadow of The Colossus, release ambitious new IPs like Uncharted/The Last of US, make deals for games like MGS4 or just be way more active as far as hyping up the future of the platform. Xbox sucks so much that Sony has been just coasting this entire gen and feeling like they should focus their efforts into GaaS/PC/Mobile and take the core audience for granted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
You don't know that, MS could very well buy a Japanese publish, they clearly were strongly considering it and they have the money.

Buying Minecraft, Bethesda and ABK all looked far fetched before they did it.
And you think Sony will just fall on their knees and give up?
No they won’t do that especially not Square Enix. Sorry but all this rumours are not a false.
Square Enix buyout was reportedly set to be announced last year according to Jeff Grubb and Greg Miller
Senior Analyst at MST Financial David Gibson suggested that Square Enix’s restructuring and diversification of studio capital is a way for the company to look more appealing to buyers
Square Enix sold off their western studios to Embracer group
Sony was reported to be “really interested” in acquiring Square Enix Japan, according to Eidos Montreal founder Stephane D’Astous. They’re not interested in the publisher’s western studios
Square Enix moving into a new and bigger HQ very close to Sony’s HQ near Shibuya/Minato.
All big Square Enix games skip Xbox.
Sony’s CFO speaking about acquiring IPs one day after FTC’s PI request was denied by court.

You need to be blind if people are still in denial of the recent events. Sony can be cheap I admit that, but they won’t ever watch how someone would buy Square Enix. Be it Microsoft or Tencent. And if Sony would be this inept, an executive would not say things like this in public. Hence Sony created a Wiki dedicated for Final Fantasy, they also gave FF an own section in PS Store. Nah Sony will not allow it that someone would steal Square Enix right before their nose.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
And you think Sony will just fall on their knees and give up?
No they won’t do that especially not Square Enix. Sorry but all this rumours are not a false.
Square Enix buyout was reportedly set to be announced last year according to Jeff Grubb and Greg Miller
Senior Analyst at MST Financial David Gibson suggested that Square Enix’s restructuring and diversification of studio capital is a way for the company to look more appealing to buyers
Square Enix sold off their western studios to Embracer group
Sony was reported to be “really interested” in acquiring Square Enix Japan, according to Eidos Montreal founder Stephane D’Astous. They’re not interested in the publisher’s western studios
Square Enix moving into a new and bigger HQ very close to Sony’s HQ near Shibuya/Minato.
All big Square Enix games skip Xbox.
Sony’s CFO speaking about acquiring IPs one day after FTC’s PI request was denied by court.

You need to be blind if people are still in denial of the recent events. Sony can be cheap I admit that, but they won’t ever watch how someone would buy Square Enix. Be it Microsoft or Tencent. And if Sony would be this inept, an executive would not say things like this in public. Hence Sony created a Wiki dedicated for Final Fantasy, they also gave FF an own section in PS Store. Nah Sony will not allow it that someone would steal Square Enix right before their nose.
I'll believe when it happens, I could see Jim Ryan Sony just doing nothing or doubling down on the pivot to GaaS/PC/Mobile.

Square Enix selling their western studios to Embracer was one of the most demented moves I ever seen, if Sony had anything to do with that is a massive red flag as far as Jim Ryan's competence is concerned.

MS:
- Bought a bunch of studios (Obsidian, Double Fine, Ninja Theory, Playground, Undead Labs)
- Bought Bethesda.
- Bought Activision.
- Bought Blizzard.
- Had an awful first 3 years for this gen, following 10 years of pure garbage.

Sony:
- Bought PC/support studios
- Bought multiple GaaS studios
- Bought Bungie and kept them outside of PlayStation to keep developing games for Xbox.
- Bought Housemarque and Bluepoint
- Had a much better 3 years but has announced far fewer games going forward.
- Closed Japan Studios and a few others.
- Spent a lot of resources developing PC version of their games.

It just few like the things that are actually allowing the PS5 to do well like great hardware, Insomniac, previously established IPs, etc, have very little to do with Jim Ryan while most of the red flags are pretty easy to connect directly to him.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Just to weigh in on the current meta discussion, I'd just like to say PS doom and gloom isn't unprecedented in these times of abk gate. But I would say it's a little unfair to imply concern trolling. People with that/simillar opinion over course of PS4/5 gen have had to suffer that retort when wanting discussion, or ate bans. At least hear you can still read each other's posts rather than one or other being banned, no?

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nhomnhom
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I'll believe when it happens, I could see Jim Ryan Sony just doing nothing or doubling down on the pivot to GaaS/PC/Mobile.

Square Enix selling their westen studios to Embracer was one of the most demented moves I ever seen, if Sony had anything to do with that is a massive red flag as far as Jim Ryan's competence is concerned.
Yes the western studios to sell was a pity but Sony was clearly not interested in those.
But again I am confident that Sony will acquire Square Enix. If Sony would be inept, an executive like Shuhei would not say things like this in public.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Yes the western studios to sell was a pity but Sony was clearly not interested in those.
But again I am confident that Sony will acquire Square Enix. If Sony would be inept, an executive like Shuhei would not say things like this in public.
They are just stupid then, Tomb Raider + Deus Ex + Crystal Dynamics + Eidos Montreal would all be great fits.

Tomb Raider + Uncharted crossover would pay for all of this by itself. Not to mention that SE and it stupid decisions clearly had more to do with these studios struggles than anything else.

Seems like both these studios are now just working on MS games. They might not be the best studios around but they were decent at the very least. Sold alongside their IPs for peanuts.

I was pretty confident in PlayStation and the direction they were going from about 2009 to 2019. Then from 2019 onward things started getting really weird. I do fear that I won't like Jim Ryan's Sony and we are yet to see the full picture of what that is (since games take a long time to develop most is not all that what we have seen was already going to happen anyway).

I don't give a shit about Xbox and I hope that brand dies, I have very little concern over what they do, my problem is with PlayStation itself. I keep second guessing myself over playing on PlayStation over PC, something I never did during the PS3 and PS4 generations.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
So what the fuck are they waiting for?
That's what im saying. You mean to tell me they havent been in talks since at least the ABK deal? How much will this New SE ceo change plans? Seems like a very fluid situation that youd want to pounce on as soon as you could.

Reactions: Arminius
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
That's what im saying. You mean to tell me they havent been in talks since at least the ABK deal? How much will this New SE ceo change plans? Seems like a very fluid situation that youd want to pounce on as soon as you could.
The development’s cost becoming higher and higher. Square Enix can’t afford in the long-term their ambitions to create AAA Japanese games. Japanese RPGs have a lot of cutscenes are mostly more expensive than western AAA games. As I and others have been saying, Sony is still waiting. Well obviously nobody knows what’s holding them up. Maybe it’s really because of Activision Blizzard fight or they want to wait until their next fiscal year. I am confident it’s going to happen sooner or later.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
The development’s cost becoming higher and higher. Square Enix can’t afford in the long-term their ambitions to create AAA Japanese games. Japanese RPGs have a lot of cutscenes are mostly more expensive than western AAA games. As I and others have been saying, Sony is still waiting. Well obviously nobody knows what’s holding them up. Maybe it’s really because of Activision Blizzard fight or they want to wait until their next fiscal year. I am confident it’s going to happen sooner or later.
Most of idiots don't understand that acquisition takes a long time and a big risk. They just want their daddy to buy something like a fucking toy to fuck with, usually big franchises

What if the big franchise that one company hold become irrelevant?

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Most of idiots don't understand that acquisition takes a long time and a big risk. They just want their daddy to buy something like a fucking toy to fuck with, usually big franchises

What if the big franchise that one company hold become irrelevant?
How come MS bought 2 major publisher within 3 years? Didn't take them a long time. Sony's just dragging their feet with acquisitions like they always did.

Reactions: Arminius and Dabaus

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
How come MS bought 2 major publisher within 3 years? Didn't take them a long time. Sony's just dragging their feet with acquisitions like they always did.
Remember, Sony pay 3.7B for Bungie, even outbids competitors. Probably because they felt it could grow to a big GaaS publisher like ABK.

Also MS like to burn money, they got big bags. I still don't think that's a good strategy, and Xbox could be slashed at any moment if ABK don't transform the market. They wasted 7B on Bethesda for an abysmal output.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I'd think sony will be much more careful and spend more time evaluating a large acquisition as they don't have billions to just throw around like microsoft. One bunk acquisition and that's billions they blew away.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Layton Wright from restera said, among other things: https://www.resetera.com/threads/da...-console-games-and-more.750532/post-110195302

"Square were VERY CLOSE to going out of business after the 1.0 FFXIV debacle and I know for a fact and thats it industry known that Sony have an interest in SQUARE as an AQCUISITION."

Not sure who he is or how he would know but take that for what its worth i guess.

A lot of bitchy green rats and Nintendo drones in that thread.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Blow the wad and roll out the red carpet for anything Capcom wants. Forget Square they haven't been a playstation system seller in 20 years