Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I think some people, doom and gloomers, should just take a rest and stop posting.
Why do doomers need to stop posting but cheerleaders are free to post their fantasies?

I'm more anti-xbox than anything else (even tho Sony is also one of my favorite publishers, if not the favorite), if Sony is not going to fight them then I question why I should support them.

Should I be building my library on PlayStation or should I be building it on Steam? If Sony is going to go against Xbox+Activision+Blizzard+Bethesda afraid to make big moves and only concerned short term profit that doesn't display a lot of confidence to me. If their plan is to ignore all that Xbox is doing while also helping make PC an even more attractive platform then they are doing a great job.

It's not like I've seen their future games to be compelled by them either, it has been about 2 years with very little news on that front. All the recent moves and public declarations point to a pivot to PC/GaaS/mobile. Physical media is also on the way out apparently, my biggest draw to consoles.

Last edited:

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Capcom is owned by a family. They hold the majority a controlling stake in this company. I don’t think they intend to sell to anyone.

Yeah, Sony's best move with Capcom would be to purchase as many shares as possible into the company, get a person or two onto their Board of Directors, and provide financial investments into the company for various projects & initiatives. Everyone gets what they want in that case and the company as a whole is significantly less likely to merge or be sold for acquisition.

Really the only publisher Sony should prob immediately consider to buy is Square-Enix. Even there, they could just pump a lot of investment into specific development studios at Square-Enix, buy shares, fund development of co-developed new games (like a remake for Parasite Eve; that game deserves a lot more love) and even fund initiatives like anime based on Final Fantasy & Dragon Quest. They don't actually have to buy Square-Enix, and can get almost all of the same benefits (minus rolling Square-Enix's revenue and profits into the PlayStation unit's) anyway.

In that sense, they would be better off buying smaller to mid-sized developers first but, in this case, some with actual published games as a studio. Stuff like Level 5, Arc System Works, Vanillaware, Ember Lab etc. And then leveraging those devs to work on mixture of AA-sized efforts (with new & legacy IP) and work with IP and dev studios of 3P publishers Sony makes strategic investments in, for new & legacy IP, creating exclusive content for PlayStation (and in some cases, also for PC).

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Yeah, Sony's best move with Capcom would be to purchase as many shares as possible into the company, get a person or two onto their Board of Directors, and provide financial investments into the company for various projects & initiatives. Everyone gets what they want in that case and the company as a whole is significantly less likely to merge or be sold for acquisition.

Really the only publisher Sony should prob immediately consider to buy is Square-Enix. Even there, they could just pump a lot of investment into specific development studios at Square-Enix, buy shares, fund development of co-developed new games (like a remake for Parasite Eve; that game deserves a lot more love) and even fund initiatives like anime based on Final Fantasy & Dragon Quest. They don't actually have to buy Square-Enix, and can get almost all of the same benefits (minus rolling Square-Enix's revenue and profits into the PlayStation unit's) anyway.

In that sense, they would be better off buying smaller to mid-sized developers first but, in this case, some with actual published games as a studio. Stuff like Level 5, Arc System Works, Vanillaware, Ember Lab etc. And then leveraging those devs to work on mixture of AA-sized efforts (with new & legacy IP) and work with IP and dev studios of 3P publishers Sony makes strategic investments in, for new & legacy IP, creating exclusive content for PlayStation (and in some cases, also for PC).
Agree but this time they should consider a full acquisition. Look how their market cap has fallen. It’s currently at $4.58B. That’s a no brainer for this price.

Imo this is the best opportunity ever Sony will ever get. They would probably need to pay less than MS paid for Bethesda ($7.5B).
I think Sony could get all of Square Enix for a premium between 6-7 Billion Dollars. Now or never

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Agree but this time they should consider a full acquisition. Look how their market cap has fallen. It’s currently at $4.58B. That’s a no brainer for this price.

Imo this is the best opportunity ever Sony will ever get. They would probably need to pay less than MS paid for Bethesda ($7.5B).
I think Sony could get all of Square Enix for a premium between 6-7 Billion Dollars. Now or never
They not exactly to use Cashes. One of Sony biggest shareholder (4%) also own 27% of Square Enix. So you guess it.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Flavourworks is off the table, Telltale just brought them. FWIW, they didn't seem like a likely partner anyway. Not really selling what Sony wants to be selling these days and its not like their last partnership, on Erica, was a breakout hit.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Flavourworks is off the table, Telltale just brought them. FWIW, they didn't seem like a likely partner anyway. Not really selling what Sony wants to be selling these days and its not like their last partnership, on Erica, was a breakout hit.
They we’re on the table?
Never heard of Flavourworks…

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Sony should have saved TT from death the first time, taken on board and expanded the movie game licenses tt had to other genres. Give TT more funding/setup to address their aging engine; more marketing so the other games/re-releases/future releases sold better. And they should have experimented with cut-up content delivery, smaller games etc.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Sony should have saved TT from death the first time, taken on board and expanded the movie game licenses tt had to other genres. Give TT more funding/setup to address their aging engine; more marketing so the other games/re-releases/future releases sold better. And they should have experimented with cut-up content delivery, smaller games etc.
TellTale is pretty niche.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Sony may very well buy a publisher but if they didn't.... what would be almost as good to me, is if they bought some really awesome and diverse studios.

Arc System Works - Fighting games
IOI - for a James Bond game and Hitman / sandbox stealth games
From Soft
Larian
Remedy

That would add diversity of genres and interesting niches along with more depth to the catalog.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Sony may very well buy a publisher but if they didn't.... what would be almost as good to me, is if they bought some really awesome and diverse studios.

Arc System Works - Fighting games
IOI - for a James Bond game and Hitman / sandbox stealth games
From Soft
Larian
Remedy

That would add diversity of genres and interesting niches along with more depth to the catalog.
This one is no brainer.
Their value dropped to $4.61B…

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
For the doom & gloom mongers:
If Sony wouldn’t value their PlayStation brand, they wouldn’t be this dependable. This is their daily bread and butter. Hell must frozen over first for them to abandon Gaming.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
For the doom & gloom mongers:
If Sony wouldn’t value their PlayStation brand, they wouldn’t be this dependable. This is their daily bread and butter. Hell must frozen over first for them to abandon Gaming.

You guys think pointing out good sales built on the back of the PS4 are the answer to everything.

What do you actually like about PlayStation the sales?

I wonder if sony was holding back some because the ZEE/Sony pictures deal was stuck in regulatory hell? It was approved yesterday.
are-you-serious-spiderman.gif

Reactions: Johnic

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
You guys think pointing out good sales built on the back of the PS4 are the answer to everything.
You say that as if staying successfull in the console buisness across gens is easy.

We've seen nintendo fail at it multiple times over and over again.

Xbox completely screwed it up from 360 > One , they screwed up again going from one > x series

Playstation screwed it up from Ps2 > Ps3

It's clearly not as easy as some people like to think.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

What do you actually like about PlayStation the sales?

are-you-serious-spiderman.gif
No it’s just shows you guys losing yourself in a scenario created by your pure fantasy.
There is no proof that Sony would abandon Gaming. You claimed Sony doesn’t care about Gaming and would just give in to their competitors aggressive behaviour. The Sony board are guaranteed no amateurs. They managed to fix a broken corporation in a successful one. Do you really think when Sony execs create/read their balance sheets, they don’t draw conclusions, which segment generates them the most profit? Hell this insane to think, they are this inept. Sony may be sometimes slow and/or cheap, but they are not amateurs. Sony knows if they lose PlayStation they would never recover from it. With just Hardware they can’t survive. The future lies in entertainment and to this also counts gaming. Hence gaming is bigger than Music and film industry together. Sony will when required spent money.