Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
No it’s just shows you guys losing yourself in a scenario created by your pure fantasy.
There is no proof that Sony would abandon Gaming. You claimed Sony doesn’t care about Gaming and would just give in to their competitors aggressive behaviour. The Sony board are guaranteed no amateurs. They managed to fix a broken corporation in a successful one. Do you really think when Sony execs create/read their balance sheets, they don’t draw conclusions, which segment generates them the most profit? Hell this insane to think, they are this inept. Sony may be sometimes slow and/or cheap, but they are not amateurs. Sony knows if they lose PlayStation they would never recover from it. With just Hardware they can’t survive. The future lies in entertainment and to this also counts gaming. Hence gaming is bigger than Music and film industry together. Sony will when required spent money.
Your entire argument is that a big corporation can do no wrong, yet we know from history that is far from the truth. The top guys that oversaw the late PS3 and early PS4 days are long gone.

You also assume that if PlayStation GaaS/PC/mobile strategy somehow work I'll be proven wrong. If it works it is going to be even worse for traditional games. Pretty much all companies that find GaaS success become all about it.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
You say that as if staying successfull in the console buisness across gens is easy.

We've seen nintendo fail at it multiple times over and over again.

Xbox completely screwed it up from 360 > One , they screwed up again going from one > x series

Playstation screwed it up from Ps2 > Ps3

It's clearly not as easy as some people like to think.
What did you expect? A trashy console like the Series to find success? Most if not all the success the PS5 had come from decisions that go back further than 2019.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
At least now Sony has all the Zee IPs, whatever they are. :ROFLMAO:

Sony merging with an insolvent India TV channel is your idea of them flexing?
This is their biggest deal to date. Point is Sony can afford gaming publishers. Also it could be Sony wanted to complete this acquisition first. Could mean they have more lined up and definitely something did hold them up. They announced this merger with Zee before Microsoft has made their bid to buy Activision Blizzard…

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Sony spent 1.5 billion for 51 percent share of the company that’s worth 10 billion, is my understanding.
Guess we now know why Playstation can't access the money vault though it's them finding majority of the Acquisitions for the company.

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Guess we now know why Playstation can't access the money vault though it's them finding majority of the Acquisitions for the company.
All of the Sony division are profitable and healthy. If PS doesn't want to acquire game studios then it is because of Jim or Herman themselves doesn't want to.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023
I don’t get why Sony spends so much on this Indian media company. $10B holy shit…

But this should disprove fanboys arguments that Sony can’t afford more than Bungie.
It only proves sony view gaming as a toys and sie as a stepchild. No matter how its doing. They were going to spend 30,40 billion on Fox assets 6 years ago.

Instead of buying ips, some publishers for themself in gaming.

As we thought they re run by bunch of morons.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
This is their biggest deal to date. Point is Sony can afford gaming publishers. Also it could be Sony wanted to complete this acquisition first. Could mean they have more lined up and definitely something did hold them up. They announced this merger with Zee before Microsoft has made their bid to buy Activision Blizzard…
Mr Bean Waiting GIF by Bombay Softwares

I personally never said they couldn't afford anything, my point is that they should go for it and not let the opportunity to get rid of Xbox pass them.

Xbox is in the ropes, burning trough money trying to get something going. But the problem is that they have a lot of money and are willing to spend it while Sony so far pretty much only showed they are willing to spend big on GaaS (and not even for the purposes of differentiating PS from other platforms).

All of the Sony division are profitable and healthy. If PS doesn't want to acquire game studios then it is because of Jim or Herman themselves doesn't want to.
Or the guys above them don't see the value in investing in consoles and rather try to leverage their dominance in console to get them into GaaS/PC/Cloud/Mobile markets that these executive types tend to care a lot more about.

Jimbo and Herman are likely to have a vision aligned with the guys above them, so it is still their fault anyway. They should be leveraging MS aggressiveness to get more resources going PlayStation's way.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I don’t get why Sony spends so much on this Indian media company. $10B holy shit…

But this should disprove fanboys arguments that Sony can’t afford more than Bungie.
Sony agreed with them this acquisition back in 2021, not now. They are still with regulator approval paperwork.

Zee is an Indian giant with a huge amount of the most popular Indian cinema + tv/streaming + music content of the last 3 decades. Before the acquisition, in VOD streaming Sony was a residual player there, now will be top 2 only after Disney (who owns the cricket, the top sport there).

India is now the country with the biggest population in the world (almost the same than China) and has a bigger growth:
_129408938_indias_population_predicted_to_take_over_china_640-nc-2x-nc.png

India's economy is becoming one of the biggest ones in the world:
28258.jpeg

Because it's the fastest growing one in the world:

India loves their own cinema and music, so becoming top tier in this area plus also in tv+streaming is way more important in the long term than Bungie. To control a good chunk of their tv and streaming plus movies and tv shows also means a huge opportunity for advertising there non-Indian Sony content like movies or games.

This, combined with having bigger revenue and assets, is the reason of why this company was valued more than 4 times higher than Bungie.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I wonder if the zee deal could help with encouraging third parties to take a marketing deal with Sony? Having a 3:1 installed base with Xbox couldn’t hurt either. Maybe they should invest in a Chinese media company as well?

24 Jun 2022
Sony agreed with them this acquisition back in 2021, not now. They are still with regulator approval paperwork.

Zee is an Indian giant with a huge amount of the most popular Indian cinema + tv/streaming + music content of the last 3 decades. Before the acquisition, in VOD streaming Sony was a residual player there, now will be top 2 only after Disney (who owns the cricket, the top sport there).

India is now the country with the biggest population in the world (almost the same than China) and has a bigger growth:
_129408938_indias_population_predicted_to_take_over_china_640-nc-2x-nc.png

India's economy is becoming one of the biggest ones in the world:
28258.jpeg

Because it's the fastest growing one in the world:

India loves their own cinema and music, so becoming top tier in this area plus also in tv+streaming is way more important in the long term than Bungie. To control a good chunk of their tv and streaming plus movies and tv shows also means a huge opportunity for advertising there non-Indian Sony content like movies or games.

This, combined with having bigger revenue and assets, is the reason of why this company was valued more than 4 times higher than Bungie.

And gamers don't give two shits.

To me, and to many, a Capcom, Square-Enix, Bandai-Namco, even Arc System Works, Ember Lab, Level 5 etc. means a metric ton more than Zee or virtually any of these non-gaming companies when it coms to discussing M&A strategies.

Bringing up data only goes so far; it may fit Sony's bottom line to acquire something like Zee but we're enthusiast gamers talking video games. Zee doesn't mean anything to us, or at least it doesn't to me.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023

To me, and to many, a Capcom, Square-Enix, Bandai-Namco, even Arc System Works, Ember Lab, Level 5 etc. means a metric ton more than Zee or virtually any of these non-gaming companies when it coms to discussing M&A strategies.

Bringing up data only goes so far; it may fit Sony's bottom line to acquire something like Zee but we're enthusiast gamers talking video games. Zee doesn't mean anything to us, or at least it doesn't to me.
I can see ArcSys, their model is perfect for GaaS fighting game, heavily suited for Evo and Esports tournament.

Bandai Namco. Their model, doesn't suit Sony, like at all.
Capcom, also a no.
Square, already been dissected, Sony probably would want to heavily invest or acquiring them.

A few notable candidate: Cygames, MiHoYo.

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
I can see ArcSys, their model is perfect for GaaS fighting game, heavily suited for Evo and Esports tournament.

Capcom, also a no.
Square, already been dissected, Sony probably would want to heavily invest or acquiring them.

Bandi Namco model doesn't work for Sony that I could see. But Capcom fits Sony perfectly and ArcSys as you said.

Cygames is owned by CyberAgent so it would be hard to convince CyberAgent to sell them.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022

Capcom, also a no.

MiHoYo would be a great pick-up for Sony; maybe their investments in the China Hero Project is a means of showing commitment to help grow China's game dev scene, and earn favor to eventually make a play for an entity like MiHoYo a few years from now. Between MiHoYo, Square-Enix, and Bungie, Sony would be well-served with GaaS content and then they have a few other games like MLB and Gran Turismo adding on top of that.

It would allow the other studios to focus more on traditional gaming experiences, and maybe even to expand out to doing AA projects requiring less devs, money and time so each studio can put out a good number of AA traditional games between the bigger AAA traditional games. If not a play for MiHoYo, then as you said, maybe Cygames.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Yes, Sony didn't make this acquisition for your personal tastes, they made it instead for Sony's global insterest as corporation particularly in movies, cinema, tv/streaming and music divisions.

But strategically in gaming too, because it's one of the fastest growing countries in game revenue since its revenue doubled in size compared to 5 years ago and is expected to continue to grow fast:

image.png

This is also the reason of why Sony had initiatives in gaming like India Hero Project.

Capcom, also a no.

Bandai Namco and Capcom are way more successful in fighting game GaaS than ArcSys, even if I think ArcSys, Bandai Namco, Cacpom, Square, CyGames or MiHoyo would be good acquisitions.

But we know Sony won't make new acquisitions in the short term.

Last edited: