Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
How did they fumble Square Enix? I hope you all aren’t still falling for MS theatrics with FF14?

MS had said plenty times already they want to improve the relationship with SE. it doesn’t amount to anything. It’s just talk.

Don’t bring up Sega. MS always had a thing with Sega. Sony is close with SE.
Normally I would agree with you....it might just be theatrics, but after all the nonsense that MS has gotten away with the last few years, I wouldn't be surprised if they had the new CEO in their pockets.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
By the time Switch 2 releases there will be 70-80m PS5 in the market.

So No, it won’t become the primary platform for SE games.

I doubt the Switch 2 will even run FF16 and so don’t expect future games to run on it.

At best the Switch 2 will be on par with the Steamdeck and that is barely a PS4 struggling to run games right now at 30fps.

Well then Switch 2 will get AA1/2 exclusives. 😆 Not exactly the scope of the bigger games but big enough to make an impact.

Really though I think the point is that if SW2 is powerful enough to get even a cut down version of Square Enix AAA games, then that’s another platform Sony has to fight for exclusives.

But yeah the PS5 installed base is something to consider too.

Reactions: Muddasar

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Normally I would agree with you....it might just be theatrics, but after all the nonsense that MS has gotten away with the last few years, I wouldn't be surprised if they had the new CEO in their pockets.

If MS went to the new SE president and trying to undo Sony’s close ties with them, then that’s all on the new president and Sony won’t be happy with that. Nor would people there like Tetsuya Nomura who is known to prefer Sony.

Sony already has exclusive contracts with Square Enix for the current games we know about and probably a lot of future games like Kingdom Hearts 4. Those contracts can’t be changed. Makes no sense to even try to either.

The new president would be stupidly hurting their relationship with Sony for MS’s money and a console that doesn’t buy their games. Or any Japanese games.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
If MS went to the new SE president and trying to undo Sony’s close ties with them, then that’s all on the new president and Sony won’t be happy with that. Nor would people there like Tetsuya Nomura who is known to prefer Sony.

Sony already has exclusive contracts with Square Enix for the current games we know about and probably a lot of future games like Kingdom Hearts 4. Those contracts can’t be changed. Makes no sense to even try to either.

The new president would be stupidly hurting their relationship with Sony for MS’s money and a console that doesn’t buy their games. Or any Japanese games.
KH4 won't be exclusive lol, Sony had all the KH games exclusive to PS4 until Jim and Hermen came along.....same with Yakuza, Persona, MLB the Show, Dragon Quest, Nier and more. ALL former PS exclusive that went to Xbox when Jim came in to the picture. This isn't a coincidence

Also what makes you say that Nomura prefers PlayStation? GameBoy, DS, and 3DS all had Kingdom Hearts exclusive games before they were eventually ported to PS4 🤔

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
KH4 won't be exclusive lol, Sony had all the KH games exclusive to PS4 until Jim and Hermen came along.....same with Yakuza, Persona, MLB the Show, Dragon Quest, Nier and more. ALL former PS exclusive that went to Xbox when Jim came in to the picture. This isn't a coincidence

Also what makes you say that Nomura prefers PlayStation? GameBoy, DS, and 3DS all had Kingdom Hearts exclusive games before they were eventually ported to PS4 🤔

I don’t know who is responsible for the exclusive deals with FF16 and FFR but Jim Ryan wouldn’t show up at the FF16 event mentioning SE partnership being strong if he didn’t see the value SE games.

Tetsuya Nomura being loyal to Sony was always mentioned back on the neogaf days by insiders (real insiders not this fake popularity contest crap we have now). Especially around the time FF Versus 13 was still supposed to be released.

There was a comment he made I believe in regards to PlayStation and FF Versus 13 being exclusive. Mentioning looking out for others who looked out for you. He was talking about Sony investing in Square Enix after the FF movie flopped at the box office. Among other things Sony has done for Square Enix.

I could have all this mixed up but that’s what I recall from back then. I’ll try and find where it was said.

24 Jun 2022
I don’t know who is responsible for the exclusive deals with FF16 and FFR but Jim Ryan wouldn’t show up at the FF16 event mentioning SE partnership being strong if he didn’t see the value SE games.

Tetsuya Nomura being loyal to Sony was always mentioned back on the neogaf days by insiders (real insiders not this fake popularity contest crap we have now). Especially around the time FF Versus 13 was still supposed to be released.

There was a comment he made I believe in regards to PlayStation and FF Versus 13 being exclusive. Mentioning looking out for others who looked out for you. He was talking about Sony investing in Square Enix after the FF movie flopped at the box office. Among other things Sony has done for Square Enix.

I could have all this mixed up but that’s what I recall from back then. I’ll try and find where it was said.

FF Versus XIII never came out though. At least, not as planned. It turned into FF XV...which was a Day 1 multiplat.

So whatever Nomura said around the time of Versus XIII's development, you have to remember that was probably during the PS3 generation, when things were a lot different. Nomura may have his personal feelings on the matter but at the end of the day it's the CEO, President etc. of SE who determine which platform gets what games. If they want the next main FF game to be multiplat Day 1, they'll get a senior creative with the IP aside from Nomura to head its development, if they're willing to do what they want.

A lot of things have happened in the industry since the days of FF Versus XIII; I don't think it would be a good idea to use sentiments from over a decade ago to paint having an impact on Sony & Square-Enix's current-day relationship. Granted, I think it's a fairly strong partnership, but it's not impervious to a 'second-wheel' (Microsoft, in this case) trying to butt their way in and try being the new best friend.

Sadly the greed for money escapes no one in this industry, event big Japanese 3P games publishers. And as we already know, Microsoft have magnitudes more money t throw around than common sense (or quality leadership).

Reactions: JAHGamer

Arminius

19 May 2023
Final Fantasy XVII and Dragon Quest XII to be exclusives on Microsoft’s Next Gen console, the Xbox X… Sales are at an all time low. DQ for the first time flops in Japan. One year later, Square-Enix becomes defunct under Microsoft’s leadership. PS5 might be the last great Sony console. Anything can happen between now and then.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Exactly. There must have been an internal decision since Jim and Hermen. Pay to keep these titles exclusive, or invest elsewhere

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Exactly. There must have been an internal decision since Jim and Hermen. Pay to keep these titles exclusive, or invest elsewhere
Grave mistake, to many people, games like KH, Persona, and Yakuza were as integral to PlayStation as games like Uncharted and God of War. Losing them as real exclusives is hurting them badly and these GAAS games ARE NOT the answer....

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Grave mistake, to many people, games like KH, Persona, and Yakuza were as integral to PlayStation as games like Uncharted and God of War. Losing them as real exclusives is hurting them badly and these Gaas games ARE NOT the answer
Agreed about the importance of 3rd party exclusives

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
FF Versus XIII never came out though. At least, not as planned. It turned into FF XV...which was a Day 1 multiplat.

So whatever Nomura said around the time of Versus XIII's development, you have to remember that was probably during the PS3 generation, when things were a lot different. Nomura may have his personal feelings on the matter but at the end of the day it's the CEO, President etc. of SE who determine which platform gets what games. If they want the next main FF game to be multiplat Day 1, they'll get a senior creative with the IP aside from Nomura to head its development, if they're willing to do what they want.

A lot of things have happened in the industry since the days of FF Versus XIII; I don't think it would be a good idea to use sentiments from over a decade ago to paint having an impact on Sony & Square-Enix's current-day relationship. Granted, I think it's a fairly strong partnership, but it's not impervious to a 'second-wheel' (Microsoft, in this case) trying to butt their way in and try being the new best friend.

Sadly the greed for money escapes no one in this industry, event big Japanese 3P games publishers. And as we already know, Microsoft have magnitudes more money t throw around than common sense (or quality leadership).

Yeah I know FFv13 got cancelled and turned into FF15. The point was to show how close the relationship was with Sony and Square. It going multiplatform probably had a lot to with the development trouble it went trough and cost.

The president of a company makes the final decisions yes. That doesn’t mean the people working there agree with those decisions as we’ve seen plenty of times already.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022

Sony never paid to have any of those games exclusives. They were exclusive by default.

It’s MS who is begging and paying to have those Japanese games on Xbox. Which do not sell there anyway.

• brain
Reactions: Kyoji and Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sony never paid to have any of those games exclusives. They were exclusive by default.

It’s MS who is begging and paying to have those Japanese games on Xbox. Which do not sell there anyway.
That might be the case but its changing now. Sony has alot more money too, they need to protect what made them money before its too late

Last edited:

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Sony has no other choice but to buy Ubisoft now
8nndggi0gdg81.jpg

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023

I'm pretty sure KH4 will be PS5 exclusive like Forspoken, FF16, Foamstars, ect.. Sony has its pick of the litter with Square and will always pick Square's best games as exclusive this is why they dont need to even buy them.

Last edited: