Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Kx11

Banned
7 Jan 2024
Katar
flickr.com
Day 1 PC releases like the CEO said is the future, their own store like Ubisoftconnect and EA

Square-Enix can now be free from consoles jail and make extra money on PC with day 1 simultaneous title releases on console, it's SE's only way to get bigger than Capcom/Konami because Namoc Bandai is on another level sales wise, That is if SE can dodge Sony exclusivity contracts and add PC day 1 release.

I was right lol

PS exclusives going day 1 on PC

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Muddasar

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Arrowhead are good developers and they deserve financial stability just like Sony provided to Housemarque. They should get acquired.
Well, I think they won't have financial unstability in minimum a decade for now.

They just released a AAA GaaS with Sony in both PS and PC that reached the top 20 Steam CCU peak in the first week passing all the games from most top publishers and GaaS titles. They also probably sold over half a dozen million units (PS+PC) until now.

This means basically four things:
  1. Sony will keep funding post launch content for the game, so they will have financial stability during many years
  2. The game being very successful means that on top of Sony funding the project, the studio also is and will earning a lot of money on top of that getting part of the revenue generated
  3. Even if they don't sell the studio to Sony before both stop working in the game (that may be pretty over half a decade from now), after it Sony will want to work with them again
  4. If due to some reason they wouldn't work again together after Helldivers 2 (I highly doubt it, I bet both sides will want to work again together), any big publisher would also put a ton on money on the table to either make another AAA GaaS game with them after HD2 or to acquire them

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
what does this mean
Sony plans to move their banks/finantial services division under a new company, and plan to sell 80% of that company to get a ton of cash. They said that process was going to take 2-3 years when announced, we now know they plan to achieve it around October 2025.

Sony said they plan to use the case they will get from that in acquisitions, mostly in the entertainment area (games + movies + music). Sony also said that until around that time they'll have a low profile with acquisitions due to current bad market conditions (and I assume because they knew that related costs of recent and current acquisitions were going to be negatively affecting their profitability during some years as we have been seen).

TLDR: Their plan is to pay the related costs of previous acquisitions during the next couple of years, then to sell most of their banks division and with that money to make more acquisitions.

Day 1 PC releases like the CEO said is the future,
The CEO never said that.

I was right lol

PS exclusives going day 1 on PC
No, you aren't. Only some of their GaaS will go day one on PC. The other games will never be ported to PC, or will do so after being on PS during around 2 years or more.

Where is the information from that it's only 1.5B? How can the deal be worth $10B, but you only pay 1.5B for it?
They may have a big debt or other kind of issues that whoever buys them will have to address.

Companies with a long history of successful exclusive 2nd/3rd party relationship with Sony:
  • Arrowhead (almost two decades of relationship)
  • FromSoftware (dozens of PS exclusives since PS1, owned by Kadokawa)
  • Acquire (dozens of PS exclusives since PS1, owned by Kadokawa)
  • Kadokawa (dozens of PS exclusives since PS1 not counting the FromSoft/Acquire ones)
  • BlueTwelve (Stray devs, whose leads are mostly ex-Quantic Dreams devs plus ex-Ubisoft Montpellier and Paris devs)
  • Ballistic Moon (they have many former Supermassive devs, who worked a ton with Sony in the past)
  • Tarsier (worked as support in all LBP games and Tearaway, outside Sony did Little Nightmare games)
  • Climax Studios (long time porting partner and sometimes developer of low tier exclusives, part of the also long time outsourcing partner Keywords, most recently did help with Returnal PC, cloud help with PC ports and remasters)
  • Kojima Productions (Kojima but as of now he doesn't want to sell to anyone, but will continue having a long relationship with Sony)
  • There's Quantic Dream (Netease), Ready At Dawn (Meta) and Sumo Digital (Tencent) but they have been acquired by huge companies that I assume they won't want to sell them, and Sony already has some of their key staff already hired or in other 2nd party studios they are working with. And can still work with Quantic Dream and Sumo Digital in the future if they want to do so

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Sony plans to move their banks/finantial services division under a new company, and plan to sell 80% of that company to get a ton of cash. They said that process was going to take 2-3 years when announced, we now know they plan to achieve it around October 2025.

Sony said they plan to use the case they will get from that in acquisitions, mostly in the entertainment area (games + movies + music). Sony also said that until around that time they'll have a low profile with acquisitions due to current bad market conditions (and I assume because they knew that related costs of recent and current acquisitions were going to be negatively affecting their profitability during some years as we have been seen).

TLDR: Their plan is to pay the related costs of previous acquisitions during the next couple of years, then to sell most of their banks division and with that money to make more acquisitions.

The CEO never said that.

No, you aren't. Only some of their GaaS will go day one on PC. The other games will never be ported to PC, or will do so after being on PS during around 2 years or more.
he's an xbox fanboy troll

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Well, I think they won't have financial unstability in minimum a decade for now.

They just released a AAA GaaS with Sony in both PS and PC that reached the top 20 Steam CCU peak in the first week passing all the games from most top publishers and GaaS titles. They also probably sold over half a dozen million units (PS+PC) until now.

This means basically three things:
  1. Sony will keep funding post launch content for the game, so they will have financial stability during many years
  2. The game being very successful means that on top of Sony funding the project, the studio also is and will earning a lot of money on top of that getting part of the revenue generated
  3. Even if they don't sell the studio to Sony before both stop working in the game (that may be pretty over half a decade from now), after it Sony will want to work with them again
  4. If due to some reason they wouldn't work again together after Helldivers 2 (I highly doubt it, I bet both sides will want to work again together), any big publisher would also put a ton on money on the table to either make another AAA GaaS game with them after HD2 or to acquire them
Why do most of your replies seems like they were refined by AI? 😂

I made the post months ago, prior to the game releasing I was saying I want them to have Financial stability as they are great devs. I'm glad they had a breakout hit. I still want them acquired and Hermen needs to have the checkbook out.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Maybe because unlike certain other forum users I'm respectful to the other people and because I do some research to get an informed opinion based on double checked factual data.
That's a good Bing ;)

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Nah, not happening after these layoffs
Lay-offs are not uncommo because there was a mass hiring Industry-wide in 2019-2022. Layoffs are not a valid point why a merger couldn’t happen. Workforce getting laid off every time, nothing unreasonable. Anyway there is a rumour I have heard since last fall 2023 about, that Sony will have a big acquisition in Q1. Remember Sony is Japanese. Therefore the new fiscal year in Japan begins at April 1st 2024.
Q1 = April -June. I stand with it. This time is no ABK ongoing or any other excuse to be made. I am certain of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Ryan
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Sony has confirmed this, not Square Enix!
Q1 is coming guys. 👀

The puzzle pieces are coming together

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sony should acquire Denuvo. Get a chunk of money of most AAA games sold and get Denuvo for free on their own games. :ROFLMAO:

Offer free Denuvo for games as long as they are only released on Sony's own PC store. Give PC players what they asked for.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
Arrowhead
Shift Up
Ballistic Moon
Ember Lab

would be very good candidates and suitable studios for Sony
I agree! Those are what I believe we are most likely to see.

I don't see sony acquiring a studios at least until 2026.

They first need to see results from the studios they are investing in now. Which are burning away at resources. This is mostly why I assume they are getting the few extra sales from PC. Not for acquisitions rather investments into their first parties.

And they will also spin off their insurance and bank to garner cash flow at the end of 2025. Which will assume result in atleast a minor studio acquisition or 2.

Reactions: ApolloHelios

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
With ms going 3 party, i dont see them buying any1 big. Maybe some studio in next few years, probably arrowhead.

That was danger of ms moves. They ll continue to be conservative and treat ps like stepchild. We dont have to do anything. Morons.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
With ms going 3 party, i dont see them buying any1 big. Maybe some studio in next few years, probably arrowhead.

That was danger of ms moves. They ll continue to be conservative and treat ps like stepchild. We dont have to do anything. Morons.
Ps needs first party studios.

First of all, PS has relied on 3rd party all the way from Ps1. And they aren't Nintendo, where they can make games that aren't AAA & get away with it.

But that being said, I assume you so the Ps5 pro leak and how it's 3x stronger. That means that development will continue to skyrocket. The kind of Devs Sony has will constantly try to push the current generation hardware to its limit. And with hardware power increasing Development times have skyrocketed.

They need more first party studios, This is my opinion.

Reactions: Puff

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Ps needs first party studios.

First of all, PS has relied on 3rd party all the way from Ps1. And they aren't Nintendo, where they can make games that aren't AAA & get away with it.

But that being said, I assume you so the Ps5 pro leak and how it's 3x stronger. That means that development will continue to skyrocket. The kind of Devs Sony has will constantly try to push the current generation hardware to its limit. And with hardware power increasing Development times have skyrocketed.

They need more first party studios, This is my opinion.
it's not 3x stronger. 3x tflops from rdna3 means about 50% more performance, and it's limited by memory bandwidth

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
it's not 3x stronger. 3x tflops from rdna3 means about 50% more performance, and it's limited by memory bandwidth
I apologize, I misunderstood.

But my point still stands that Sony always wants to make huge AAA games, and that they're studios want to push the current hardware to its limit.

So they need more studios either way, if they want AA games or more AAA games. Simply because I don't want Naughty dog or Santamonica to just making AA games.