Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
Where is the information from that it's only 1.5B? How can the deal be worth $10B, but you only pay 1.5B for it?
The merger was with Sony India (also known as culver max) and Zee entertainment.

So the entire merged entity was valued to be 10 billion $ when combined.

Of this Merged entity, Sony would own 50% of the company. And Sony would inject 1.5 billion in this company to boost the company (this was also included in the merged valuationi believe).

It fell through due to leadership issues, So sony only saved 1.5 billion $.

In my opinion it's still a good thing it fell through, sony has been struggling financially alot, and even has to resort to getting extra sales from PC while also laying off employees.

• haha
Reactions: Gediminas

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
sony has been struggling financially alot, and even has to resort to getting extra sales from PC while also laying off employees.
This last part wasn't unnecessary. As it is bullshit.
Not just that sony revenue grew up a lot but also profits last fiscal year.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
This last part wasn't unnecessary. As it is bullshit.
Not just that sony revenue grew up a lot but also profits last fiscal year.
So when big layoffs happens, the company sees something really really struggling in the long term.

And I personally think it's not a terrible situation, considering how much the studios grew in terms of employees, all the studios had pretty much doubled or trippled, people like hating sony way too much.

But as sony Said they want to achieve a new profit record this year. And thats actually more possible since the yen was really really struggling vs the dollar last year + they were paying off bungie in multiple settlements.

But this year the Yen seems to be stable around 150, and bungie is completely paid off (as far as i know). But they don't have a game like Spider-Man 2 to make some extra profit while they are spending so much on studios which are all going through development.

So they have to result to PC ports and to take the long term pressure off they have to layoff some employees. Once I think the new acquired studios release their first games, the cash flow will be much better.

But at the same time I really really want them to be active in M&A, because MS acquired so many third party studios + all the zenimax studios, just to make games previously releasing on Playstation not release on Playstation anymore, and it sucks.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
So when big layoffs happens, the company sees something really really struggling in the long term.

And I personally think it's not a terrible situation, considering how much the studios grew in terms of employees, all the studios had pretty much doubled or trippled, people like hating sony way too much.

But as sony Said they want to achieve a new profit record this year. And thats actually more possible since the yen was really really struggling vs the dollar last year + they were paying off bungie in multiple settlements.

But this year the Yen seems to be stable around 150, and bungie is completely paid off (as far as i know). But they don't have a game like Spider-Man 2 to make some extra profit while they are spending so much on studios which are all going through development.

So they have to result to PC ports and to take the long term pressure off they have to layoff some employees. Once I think the new acquired studios release their first games, the cash flow will be much better.

But at the same time I really really want them to be active in M&A, because MS acquired so many third party studios + all the zenimax studios, just to make games previously releasing on Playstation not release on Playstation anymore, and it sucks.
so m$ is struggling? and countless most profitable companies?
no, of course not. they just want to milk it as much as they can.

plus, very possible, that they are doing it, because they want devalue people's work. like more people in the market, less salaries you have to pay.
just look what is happening. just after they fire thousands of people, some companies hiring again, like wtf?

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
so m$ is struggling? and countless most profitable companies?
no, of course not. they just want to milk it as much as they can.

plus, very possible, that they are doing it, because they want devalue people's work. like more people in the market, less salaries you have to pay.
just look what is happening. just after they fire thousands of people, some companies hiring again, like wtf?
I'm currently not sure about MS, and that if the Layoffs they made were warranted or not.

But I can justify the Sony layoffs, because their were much more people hired, Studios such as insomniac went from 250 employees to almost 500.

Bend doubled, Firesprite doubled, Bluepoint doubled, every single studio increased in employees. So it is still a net positive in terms of employees.

London hasn't made a announcement or released a game in 7 years, the last good game they made was a PSVR game back in 2017. They even could've made a announcement with the Ps5 release but they didn't. Their shutdown seems warranted.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
What if Sony takes over Bungie?

It would be better in almost every way, Sony might be more hands on with providing certain help, they could financially support them with context of their studios.

They could give them help from a team or two, from their support/live service studios. Bungie would stop killing its image which it's doing right now [and has been for a while] through monetization to avoid takeover, and because they churn through cash apparently.

Also Sony would finally have uninterrupted control over the company they spent 3.6 billion dollars on...

also current bungie leadership/shareholders are just trying to release marathon and leave Sony to clean it up as they get paid, although this is probably going to be the case regardless, as they get paid through 2026. I really hope marathon does well though.

Reactions: Luffy123 and Puff

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I think they should look for a buyer for them. Cut their losses now. What’s more likely, getting say 1 billion dollars or more from netease, Saudi group, or tencent… or making that from marathon?

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I think they should look for a buyer for them. Cut their losses now. What’s more likely, getting say 1 billion dollars or more from netease, Saudi group, or tencent… or making that from marathon?
i would say, people are just overreacting. let them work it through. it is multi year project. only thing i would say, it is a mistake to treat them as separate studio from PS ones. bring them under one management. it could probably would solve lots of issues.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
i would say, people are just overreacting. let them work it through. it is multi year project. only thing i would say, it is a mistake to treat them as separate studio from PS ones. bring them under one management. it could probably would solve lots of issues.
I agree with you, also bungies acquisition was longer than just a response for ABK.

They have and will also help in many GaaS titles, that SIE is publishing.

Helldivers 2 is also really fun, and might not have been possible if it wasn't for Bungie.

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
I guess rumor has it that Xbox and Playstation are apparently fighting over acquiring Square Enix atleast to what's making the rounds on youtube.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I guess rumor has it that Xbox and Playstation are apparently fighting over acquiring Square Enix atleast to what's making the rounds on youtube.
Sony has everything to lose when it comes to SE so them waiting even until this point is ridiculous even if its not true.

Reactions: reziel

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023

Well theyre laying a foundation alright.

Just when you would expect them to finally drop out they start pulling this nonsense. Hopefully they get blocked and it's all just a rumor give them Sega supposedly they're planning to announce at the summer gameshow if they successfully bought them. I wouldn't be surprised if this move was to confuse the Japanese government and make them think that Sony is trying to monopolize publishers over there. Make them think the U.S is their to help this feels like another ABK attempt in the making.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Just when you would expect them to finally drop out they start pulling this nonsense. Hopefully they get blocked and it's all just a rumor give them Sega supposedly they're planning to announce at the summer gameshow if they successfully bought them. I wouldn't be surprised if this move was to confuse the Japanese government and make them think that Sony is trying to monopolize publishers over there. Make them think the U.S is their to help this feels like another ABK attempt in the making.
I dont think its coincidence that chatter starts up about MS buying possibly SE and this big investment happens in the same week? MS CEO already said they were looking into Japan. Im telling you guys, its petal to the metal either make gamepass a success or gate keep all the IP. They already have their talking points, "Its good for the industry so Sony cant gate keep FF." Sony wasted too much time not securing long term partners during the ABK deal.

This going third party talk, throwing out 4 worthless IPs to Sony is a feint to appease regulators. Sony took the bait.

Last edited:
Reactions: Puff

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I dont think its coincidence that chatter starts up about MS buying possibly SE and this big investment happens in the same week? MS CEO already said they were looking into Japan. Im telling you guys, its petal to the metal either make gamepass a success or gate keep all the IP. They already have their talking points, "Its good for the industry so Sony cant gate keep FF." Sony wasted too much time not securing long term partners during the ABK deal.

This going third party talk, throwing out 4 worthless IPs to Sony is a feint to appease regulators. Sony took the bait.

I still trust this leak. he was right about everything
Screenshot-20240405-224917-Chrome.jpg