Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I still trust this leak. he was right about everything
Screenshot-20240405-224917-Chrome.jpg
It doesnt say anything about acquisition's though?

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
It doesnt say anything about acquisition's though?

No idea.

But what stupid JP Company would sign on with this mobbed up harbinger of death. Xbox doesn’t even get time-exclusive JRPGs.

Look up what happened to tango

That’s why I doubt Microsoft would find success trying to buy out a JP publisher.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
No idea.

But what stupid JP Company would sign on with this mobbed up harbinger of death. Xbox doesn’t even get time-exclusive JRPGs.

Look up what happened to tango

That’s why I doubt Microsoft would find success trying to buy out a JP publisher.
When they have the US ambassador of Japan and that senator in their back pocket who knows what hostile take overs they can do?

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
The person which tweeted Microsoft planning on buying SE, has deleted the post. It's a known console warring and baiting tweeter. I don't see SE or any Japanese publisher being acquired by a western, let alone an American company. It's just fanboys usual nonsense.
You guys get easily baited. It’s not going to happen that Sony would watch until someone snatches SQEX away. They are too important for Sony. Also the clown Karim Jovian got community-noted for quoiting this made up rumour. Hands down if someone buys Square Enix it will be Sony definitely. Well you know the company needs first to be willing to sell.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Also you should have seen it on the first read:

The poster said it would be announced at Summer Showcase. It’s ILLEGAL TO TALK ABOUT IT. It’s clearly a hoax. Announcing the exact date window is considered insider trading. You will go straight to jail. See what happened to the Sonic Creator Yuji Naka. Nah guys relax, it’s just another desperate fanboy lie.

Reactions: reziel
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I wonder if we hear soon news about the rumoured big buy in Q1. Rumour says based in Japan. Just if there’s truth in it, it’s not some mobile games publisher like Nexon. Would be a nightmare ngl.

Reactions: TigerFang

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
I wonder if we hear soon news about the rumoured big buy in Q1. Rumour says based in Japan. Just if there’s truth in it, it’s not some mobile games publisher like Nexon. Would be a nightmare ngl.
Haven't they came out & said they will not spend money on acquisitions & try to achieve the high profits this year. Maybe they will also pay off dept, since Japan now has positive interest rate.

I would love Square Enix since they long term partnership (or even a non intentional one) they have had for pretty much the existence of PlayStation.

I personally think they will wait till all the studios that are churning through the cash right now release most of their games & by then they will also have the capital from spinning off their Financial Unit.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
Haven't they came out & said they will not spend money on acquisitions & try to achieve the high profits this year. Maybe they will also pay off dept, since Japan now has positive interest rate.

I would love Square Enix since they long term partnership (or even a non intentional one) they have had for pretty much the existence of PlayStation.

I personally think they will wait till all the studios that are churning through the cash right now release most of their games & by then they will also have the capital from spinning off their Financial Unit.
That's been on the top of the list for awhile. I don't think that's going to happen they seem to be back on good terms with Xbox and one of the recent interviews I read about FF XVI mainly focused on the new DLC hinted that after it comes out on PC they may be bringing the game to other consoles.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
That's been on the top of the list for awhile. I don't think that's going to happen they seem to be back on good terms with Xbox and one of the recent interviews I read about FF XVI mainly focused on the new DLC hinted that after it comes out on PC they may be bringing the game to other consoles.
Yoshida is talking too much. He says a lot, and many things he said don't come to fruition at the end of the day. I honestly doubt that FF16 will ever hit Xbox or Switch 2. First because this a game like FF7R where Sony XDEV Japan assisted in the development. Hence why their name is written in the credits. In my opinion this doesn't exclude the possibility for Sony acquiring them. Sony had/has a lot of things going on: ABK fight until last year, Zee India merger, selling of their financial services arm, their car project with Honda etc.

Last edited:

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
Yoshida is talking too much. He says a lot, and many tgings don't come to fruition at zhe end of the day. I honestly doubt that FF16 will ever hit Xbox or Switch 2. First because this a game like FF7R where Sony XDEV Japan assisted in the development. Hence why their name is written in the credits. In my opinion this doesn't exclude the possibility for Sony acquiring them. Sony has a lot of things going on: ABK fight until last year, Zee India merger, selling of their financial services arm, their car project with Honda etc.
Sony will never buy SE

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
it would of happen already. SE doesn't want bought by Sony. Sony should just keep building studios.
Your source: "Trust me bro."
There is no evidence that SE is not interested in being bought. I didn't say it's happening definitely, but even then we don't know about it. Also these deals take time, if they are happening. I still believe it will happen because for some reasons. The 4 old games Microsoft ported to PS5 are a charade to trick anti-trust divisions, so they can justify more buyouts. Sony will in no way trust Microsoft after they snatched away two huge publishers in a row.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Also don’t forget this:

You can't acquire Intellectual Property if you do just buy small studios. IPs being acquired by merging with publishers.
Sony specifically said "strategic investments with an emphasis on intellectual property" which in a corporate context goes beyond meaning acquiring specifically existing popular IPs.

First we have to consider that these strategical things are thinking in the long term. Second, this isn't limited to acquisitions: in addition to acquisitions it may include growing existing teams or making initiatives to make existing IPs more popular/valuable, or partnering with external actors to increase their catalog, etc.

Third, in case of acquisitions doesn't only mean to acquire existing popular IPs: it also includes acquiring teams who have potential to create great new IPs for them in the future, or to work on IPs they.

As an example, acquisitions like Bungie, Firewalk, Haven, Nixxes or Bluepoint would fit here because they will creat new Sony IP, will work on existing ones or in case of Bungie provided a couple IPs. It also includes investments: as an example, investing on FromSoft and making that 3 ways deal with Kadokawa and CyGames would be included here too, because very likely will result on securing future valuable content for Sony's catalog, independently if Sony will or won't own some of that IP.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Sony specifically said "strategic investments with an emphasis on intellectual property" which in a corporate context goes beyond meaning acquiring specifically existing popular IPs.

First we have to consider that these strategical things are thinking in the long term. Second, this isn't limited to acquisitions: in addition to acquisitions it may include growing existing teams or making initiatives to make existing IPs more popular/valuable, or partnering with external actors to increase their catalog, etc.

Third, in case of acquisitions doesn't only mean to acquire existing popular IPs: it also includes acquiring teams who have potential to create great new IPs for them in the future, or to work on IPs they.

As an example, acquisitions like Bungie, Firewalk, Haven, Nixxes or Bluepoint would fit here because they will creat new Sony IP, will work on existing ones or in case of Bungie provided a couple IPs. It also includes investments: as an example, investing on FromSoft and making that 3 ways deal with Kadokawa and CyGames would be included here too, because very likely will result on securing future valuable content for Sony's catalog, independently if Sony will or won't own some of that IP.
All of the points are fitting the description of long time partners like Square. They pour so much cash in them, might as well acquire them. FF is synonymous with a PlayStation IP. It would be better to own the rights then only to pay for limited exclusivity. Also speaking of teams being capable in creating new and fresh IPs. Square Enix has a drove for talent. Square has sheer potential when it comes to creative minds. In case of acquisition Sony would expand all existing creative business units and even create new ones. We should keep in mind that Sony had high ambitions for the anime market. The franchises of Square Enix are prefect suited for this ambitions. Plus they would get their first Manga publishing label with Gangan Comics. Another reason is also to protect the partner. Let's forget about Microsoft, there also other potential threats like Tencent. In my opinion it's the best time in acquiring a big company like Square. Sony should utilize this opportunity.

Reactions: Umar

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
I want SE to get bought by anyone else but Sony and then get closed permanently just so that I never have to see any more of this Sony should buy SE comment anywhere. I fucken hate any and all weebo shit that's coming from SE.

• haha
Reactions: Yurinka