Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Considering Konami is dead and that Sega doesn't make enough money and both are too focused on stuff not interesting for Sony, I think they may get a Japanese publisher that could be Square Enix, Capcom or Kadokawa. Bandai Namco would be a great fit too but they may be too expensive and even if its toys division could generate a great synergy with Sony IPs maybe Sony would pass too. That publisher would be like Bungie, would continue as multiplatform publisher under SIE but outside PS Studios. Extra points for the publisher: strong positioning on Asia, mobile and PC and if possible in eSports, with some IPs with potential to bring them to cinema/tv show, soneone who is a key player in genres or game typs not covered by Sony 1st party game and if possible with a great catalog of old classics to put them on PS Plus. And if can help them adapt movie or anime to games, even better.

Other than the publishers, I think Sony will get some devs for PS Studios lke Netherrealm, Rocksteady, TT Games or Avalanche from WB Games for PS Studios. Or Firewalk, Deviation or the Kena devs depending on how their next project goes. I think candidates would also be some well reviewed and well selling AAA-ish PSVR dev who already had PSVR exclusive, someone like Camouflaj probably. And someone very successful in mobile bringing console IPs to mobile.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I‘ve seen now a couple of times Kadokawa being mentioned. Don’t they mainly produce school books and so mainly tied to the public sector?
What do you they posses besides FromSoftware?
Aren’t they selling some kinda Light-novel/ Dating sims games? I kinda doubt Sony would be interested in that niche stuff. Maybe their anime division would be interesting for Crunchyroll/Aniplex/ Sony Pictures but that’s all I see…

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
For those saying Ubisoft... the company itself is massively bloated.

They have twice as many employees as Activision / Blizzard and HALF of the revenue. Those employees are spread across so many studios all over the world as well, and clearly are mismanaged.

It's a major project to "fix" Ubisoft and not something I think Sony should take on.

I think they should keep doing what they are doing; their strategy has been pretty great for many years. Having smaller studios make games for them, working closely with them.. the funding of their games helps grow the studio.. then Sony has a partner they can likely work with again or buy if they feel it will be a good fit.

Buying companies that already have a bunch of studios and management and exectuives / etc. is just not Playstation's style and I don't think it needs to be.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

They have twice as many employees as Activision / Blizzard and HALF of the revenue. Those employees are spread across so many studios all over the world as well, and clearly are mismanaged.

It's a major project to "fix" Ubisoft and not something I think Sony should take on.

I think they should keep doing what they are doing; their strategy has been pretty great for many years. Having smaller studios make games for them, working closely with them.. the funding of their games helps grow the studio.. then Sony has a partner they can likely work with again or buy if they feel it will be a good fit.

Buying companies that already have a bunch of studios and management and exectuives / etc. is just not Playstation's style and I don't think it needs to be.
But times have changed unfortunately. With only buying small fish studios, Sony won’t get far. Maybe it will work for quite sometime, but in the longterm Sony needs definitely to gear up. As I and many others mentioned, Square Enix is utmost important for Sony’s legacy. Look how much hype and discussion Final Fantasy VII Rebirth caused. FF, DQ, Nier, Star Ocean this are all games which formed the Playstation, not some western or Indie-like games. Would be fatal if SQEX wouldn’t be able to produce anymore games for Sony. And people need to understand that Sony is not like Nintendo, they can’t “make their own thing” like some people say. That’s definitely not gonna work for Sony, they really very dependent from 3rd Party games.

Before Microsoft started their shopping tour, I was never a fan og buyouts of big gaming companies. But either them or Sony and I definitely sticking to Sony. This Director (for acquisition and complex mergers) which got hired a while back, isn’t surely without reason…

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
But times have changed unfortunately. With only buying small fish studios, Sony won’t get far. Maybe it will work for quite sometime, but in the longterm Sony needs definitely to gear up.

And yet they are still on top of the gaming world along with Nintendo.. neither company did it by buying big companies and neither company needs to. Sony is also riding high on IP they developed in-house.. and don't really need to buy IP.

MS is buying their way to having more studios making them less money..... Sony has better studios.. better pipelines for sharing tech.. are building their own successful IP and keeping great relationships w/ Marvel through their movie business..

They really don't need to buy a big company.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Ubisoft isn't bloated, their numbers say they are more than fine and better than ever:

328291-blank-355.png

ubisoft-net-income.jpg

The difference of Ubisoft having more workers is because they outsource way less works than all the other AAA publishers like Activision, EA, Sony, MS, Square, Capcom, etc. Ubisoft mostly use other internal studios as support studios instead of outsourcing almost everything to external outsourcing companies.

When looking at the biggest game companies of the world in terms of revenue, not counting 1st party companies or mobile gaming publishers, Activision Blizzard is the biggest 3rd party and Ubisoft is on of the biggest ones as always. Not bad at all:
  1. Activision Blizzard $1,905M
  2. Electronic Arts $1,789M
  3. Take-Two Interactive $903M
  4. Ubisoft $866M
  5. Bandai Namco Entertainment $858M
  6. Square Enix $796M
  7. Warner Bros. Entertainment $613M
  8. Sega $469M
ABK and EA are pretty far from the other publishers. And well, since ABK super likely will be acquired next year Ubisoft will climb one position on the ranking.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Nobody likes acquisitions but Microsoft changed the industry (Embracer and Tencent were never a threat).

Now I think Sony needs Square, Capcom and From. They also need to secure GTA6, at least a big marketing contract to block GP.

Microsoft will get EA, Ubi and Sega eventually and there's nothing Sony can do about it. Kojima is now working with Microsoft too so that sucks.

Are Sony Pictures and WB competitors? Hopefully WB stays multiplatforms 🙏
I‘ve seen now a couple of times Kadokawa being mentioned. Don’t they mainly produce school books and so mainly tied to the public sector?
Aren’t they selling some kinda Light-novel/ Dating sims games? I kinda doubt Sony would be interested in that niche stuff. Maybe their anime division would be interesting for Crunchyroll/Aniplex/ Sony Pictures but that’s all I see…
Kadokawa sold the rest of their studios a few weeks ago so it's only From and Spike Chunsoft.

It might be a waste to buy the whole thing but they really need From or Namco might get them first 🙄

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
Ubisoft isn't bloated, their numbers say they are more than fine and better than ever:

328291-blank-355.png

ubisoft-net-income.jpg

The difference of Ubisoft having more workers is because they outsource way less works than all the other AAA publishers like Activision, EA, Sony, MS, Square, Capcom, etc. Ubisoft mostly use other internal studios as support studios instead of outsourcing almost everything to external outsourcing companies.

When looking at the biggest game companies of the world in terms of revenue, not counting 1st party companies or mobile gaming publishers, Activision Blizzard is the biggest 3rd party and Ubisoft is on of the biggest ones as always. Not bad at all:
  1. Activision Blizzard $1,905M
  2. Electronic Arts $1,789M
  3. Take-Two Interactive $903M
  4. Ubisoft $866M
  5. Bandai Namco Entertainment $858M
  6. Square Enix $796M
  7. Warner Bros. Entertainment $613M
  8. Sega $469M
ABK and EA are pretty far from the other publishers. And well, since ABK super likely will be acquired next year Ubisoft will climb one position on the ranking.

That must be a REALLLY old data as Activision / Blizard had over 8 billion in revenue last year fiscal, Ubisoft had a little over 2 billion. I was being rather generous even saying it was "half" it's more like a quarter of the revenue.. the net income/profit picture is just as skewed as Ubisoft made a little over 100 million and Activision made over 2.5 billion in net income.

They are bloated as hell, doing less with more... whether that's from using outsourcing studios less or not (link?) is sort of pointless considering their financials.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I was really hoping for Capcom or Square.
But it's probably not going to happen.
From Software now also seems a bit out of the price range with Elden Ring success I would presume

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I was really hoping for Capcom or Square.
But it's probably not going to happen.
From Software now also seems a bit out of the price range with Elden Ring success I would presume
Have some faith in my man Jeff Grubb. I think he didn’t say that for fun. I think it’s no fluke that SQEX sold off their western branch. Sony never cared actually about Tomb Raider, DeusEX etc.
Sony loves that Japanese top tier brands: Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Nier and so on. Don’t forget there are other synergies besides games: movies, animes, mobile gaming. The collaborated many times in the mentioned fields in the past. Nier Anime is produced by Aniplex and Final Fantasy movies get usually made with Sony as well. I don’t expect many big buyouts but definitely one for sure.

Jeff Grubb - Twitter

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Kadokawa is a media conglomerate that includes many companies. They are one of the most important Japanese publishers of books, magazines (like Famitsu or Dengeki), mangas and at least years ago videogame guide books and art books. They also make movies, anime and videogames. In addition to From Software they published or developed games with different brands they own as Enterbrain, ASCII Media Works, Kadokawa Shoten, Spike Chunsoft or Media Factory. They also own some other stuff like Niconico, maybe the most popular video streaming service in Japan (some sort of youtube or twitch).

By buying them Sony would get:
  • From Software, the IPs they own and several other Japanese publishers and developers. All of them combined made dozen of PS exclusive games (many of them Japan only) since back to PS1 generation
  • Top tier manga and anime production, publishers and IPs that would fit well in other Sony divisions
  • Japanese cinema films and tv stuff that would fit well in other Sony divisions
  • Top tier book, magazine, art books and game guide editor they could use to make game guides, artbooks or books or their games or from IPs from other divisions now that Sony wants to open their IPs to other mediums
Kadokawa already made somewhat recently a deal with Sony and CyGames (Japanese publisher very successful in mobile, the ones of Granblue Fantasy and Project Awakening) to help them bring their Kadokawa IPs to a global market in consoles and mobile. In exchange for that help Kadokawa gave 2% of its own stocks to Sony and 2% to CyGames.

So who knows, maybe this deal scalates to Sony buying Kadokawa or at least their gaming and anime parts. This year Sony bought Lasengle, which was a new company that was originally the game division of Delightworks, the developer of a Japanese mobile game that gave Sony Music $1B/year in revenue. Who knows, they may do something similar with Kadokawa: to move the parts they want to a new company that Sony would buy.
That must be a REALLLY old data as Activision / Blizard had over 8 billion in revenue last year fiscal, Ubisoft had a little over 2 billion. I was being rather generous even saying it was "half" it's more like a quarter of the revenue.. the net income/profit picture is just as skewed as Ubisoft made a little over 100 million and Activision made over 2.5 billion in net income.

They are bloated as hell, doing less with more... whether that's from using outsourcing studios less or not (link?) is sort of pointless considering their financials.
The data I posted it's the most recent data Newzoo has (Q4 2021, they update that ranking quarterly but keep the most recent quarter for payers). It's revenue for the quarter, not for a fiscal year. Their recent gaming revenue for a year as reference (most numbers are their spring 22 reports from gamesindustry.biz or Statista):

Activision Blizzard King $8.8B
EA $6.99B
Take 2 $3.5B
Bandai Namco $2.9B
Ubisoft $2.1B
Square Enix $2.1B
Sega $1.8B
Konami $1.7 B
Capcom $814M

And this is for the year Bandai Namco got their -probably- biggest game release ever, Elden Ring and where due to covid and calendar Ubisoft almost didn't have big releases (most of them will start to be released the second half of this year). And where Capcom did break again their record with the biggest revenue ever in their history.

Activision numbers are super different to any other publisher who isn't EA as I shown in terms of revenue. Same goes with net income where not even EA (they had $789M in net income) is close to them, mostly because ABK has King and CoD. And these I share are the top 3rd party publishers in the world, all the other dozens of thousands of publishers with maybe a few I may have missed (can't find WB Games gaming revenue who should be in the half aprox. of the list with a quick search, won't waste more time with this post) are under them.

If we also include platform holders and mobile gaming only top companies, Newzoo the top ten in revenue made $126B last year, which is 65.3% of the total gaming market revenue:
Newzoo_Global-games-market-report-2022-Top-10-companies_Growth.png

As I remember in a recent year it was said that the top 25 companies generated ~85% of the revenue of the gaming market.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Ember Labs, Deviation, and Arrowhead seem like safe options.

A couple of VR studios too: Camoflaj, First Contact, nDreams, etc.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I think any acquisition depends on what they want to achieve, obviously.

They might want to focus on the East or West, they might want to be aggressive or protective... or they might want to grow their revenue or expertise in a certain area.

For instance, if I was aggressive and western / global focused, I would go for Ubisoft... it would do more damage to everyone else, including Xbox, Steam and any other storefront to buy Ubisoft and make all the best of their stuff exclusive, timed exclusive or just better on PS.

They have too many annual releases to ignore. It would also add to PS+ and deny a lot of content for GP. This move may achieve good revenue growth too but they'd have to be careful about lost Xbox sales and how that may effect things.

Eastern focused, more organic / natural acquisition would be Square Enix.... would expand IP's, give another massive GAAS game in FFXIV and provide content for film and anime. Would also expand revenue but not on the level of Ubisoft.
FF, DQ, KH and other games would be useful in pushing Nintendos dominance back in Japan and would appeal globally to the PS audience.

WB would have been an excellent strategic choice IF they could have made SF6 excluisve... unfortunately without that I feel WB is rather pointless and their moves towards GAAS is redundant with PS Studios having so many in development.

There are several other options and I will detail them in a further post.....

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

They might want to focus on the East or West, they might want to be aggressive or protective... or they might want to grow their revenue or expertise in a certain area.

For instance, if I was aggressive and western / global focused, I would go for Ubisoft... it would do more damage to everyone else, including Xbox, Steam and any other storefront to buy Ubisoft and make all the best of their stuff exclusive, timed exclusive or just better on PS.

They have too many annual releases to ignore. It would also add to PS+ and deny a lot of content for GP. This move may achieve good revenue growth too but they'd have to be careful about lost Xbox sales and how that may effect things.

Eastern focused, more organic / natural acquisition would be Square Enix.... would expand IP's, give another massive GAAS game in FFXIV and provide content for film and anime. Would also expand revenue but not on the level of Ubisoft.
FF, DQ, KH and other games would be useful in pushing Nintendos dominance back in Japan and would appeal globally to the PS audience.

WB would have been an excellent strategic choice IF they could have made SF6 excluisve... unfortunately without that I feel WB is rather pointless and their moves towards GAAS is redundant with PS Studios having so many in development.

Inline with your first strategy, if the goal is to damage the Xbox brand, one of my ideas was to buy Annapurna and Devolver.

Xbox Gamepass does not generate a lot of revenue and is in the red; we all know that. Most of their games are indies, and many of the good ones come from Developer and Annapurna.

If Sony buys those two publishers, that'd deny a lot of the games going to Gamepass. That'd lead to two things:
  1. Xbox Gamepass will have fewer monthly games, or
  2. Xbox will have to spend more money to bring AAA games, which is not feasible for them.
Considering they make around $750-ish million every year from GP (while PS+ makes over $3,000 million), they will hardly be able to afford one big AAA per month.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
They mentioned several times and in different content what they want to achieve. Their recent acquisitions match these things, so probably we may expect more acquisitions that would fit one or more of these groups:
  • They prefer to acquire people who have a long history of PS exclusives before, maybe to secure them (most of the studios they bought)
  • Want to grow and support existing internal studios to help focus on releasing more console games (bought teams specialized on outsourcing, PC ports, remakes)
  • Want to grow in PC (bought Bungie and Nixxes)
  • Want to grow in GaaS (bought Bungie, Haven and Lasengle)
  • Want to grow in multiplayer (bought Bungie and Haven, invested on Discord)
  • Want to grow in VR (bought Firesprite, Fabrik)
  • Want to grow in eSports (bought EVO, supports offline tournaments, hosts many online tournaments, made the online Tournaments feature, invested on Discord)
  • Want to grow the amount of genres their 1st and 2nd party is a key player (bought Bungie for FPS, Housemarque for arcade)
  • Want to grow the movies, tv shows, animes etc based in games they have (bought Bungie)
  • Want to bring some of their IPs to mobile and partner with mobile gamedevs (bought Lasengle)
  • Want to grow in countries where consoles aren't so big via mobile and PC, particularly Asia/China (bought Lasengle, Bungie, Nixxes, want to improve in GaaS)
  • Want to acquire IPs/content for their subscriptions services and stores, in the case of gaming PS Plus and PSN (bought Bungie/Destiny)
  • Their priority is to reach more players in more platforms, not to make multiplatform stuff exclusive (bought Bungie and kept it as multiplatform)
  • They didn't mention it but with Firesprite and making it huge they are reviving Studio Liverpool, Evolution and Bizarre Creations in a single studio. They bought and merged into it another studio with staff from these 3 dead studios, Fabrik. So could buy more studios from Liverpool or nearby cities with a good amount of former devs from these 3 studios, like Lucid
I think their focus is to grow in the different areas I mentioned to grow revenue and profit by increasing their offering of game types/genres and platforms covered, instead of wanting to damage the competition by locking on their platform already existing multiplatform games.

I think if Sony will buy publishers they'll keep them multiplatform as did with Bungie to reach more players, make more profits. But they seem to acquire people who does an awesome job in game types where they don't excel via 1st/2nd party game. Ubisoft covers many things but doesn't excel on any of them, and the main game type where they are more successful is already very well covered by Sony (open world AAA single player action adventures).

I think they could help a bit in many areas where Sony is interested to acquire (the ones I listed above) so could be a good fit (even if probably wouldn't enter in their top 5 or top 10 of most wanted) but I think they don't shine enough in a particular one to justify to pay the shit ton of money they would cost.

They bought Bungie and allowed them to publishing games in other consoles, but I'm pretty sure will block games from Bungie and other company who they may buy and would allow them to continue as multi from getting console exclusives elsewhere and from appearing on rival game subs or having console bundles with rival consoles or having beta/demo exclusives with them. Not only because of common sense, but also because they did it in "simple" marketing deals they do with 3rd party multi games, or at least was the case of RE Village.

Square Enix is one of the best fits I see. Their pricing is affordable for their budget, and in addition to what you mention it would help them in many of the areas where I mentioned they want to grow: long history of PS exclusives, PC & other consoles, would make their 1st party a key player in a big genre where they don't have presence (JRPG), potential to make movies/tv shows/anime of their IPs, popular in Asia, they are maybe the best implementation of company bringing their console IPs to mobile, tons of appealing content for PS+.

I think for games with a global approach bought from a 3rd party published they'd prefer to keep them multiplatform in terms of console, but I think that in the case of the ones that are key for Asia they could keep them console exclusive. Or minimum they'd turn all the games that are now Switch console exclusive into PS and Switch console exclusive.

I think part of WB games would be appealing for them to be included in PS Studios (meaning console exclusive and no PC version for like 2 years):
  • Netherrealm: to turn their 1st party a key player in another genre, fighting games, MK is the top one in sales of the genre and has potential for movies and anime plus also would help them grow in multiplayer
  • Traveller's Games and Avalanche: to become a key player in movie licensed games and quality, super successful kid focused games
  • Rocksteady: this doesn't fit in the list I mentioned the want to cover, but would be the best option if they want to acquire another studiio for superhero games or to develop sequels or reboot one of their top 1st party action adventure IPs that are sleeping because their studios are busy with other projects, or even to bring them to different genre. Stuff like an Uncharted, Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone, Killzone, Team Ico games etc.
Street Fighter has less sales, but it's more popular in eSports than Mortal Kombat and in movies. I think Capcom (keeping it with multiplatform games but keeping exclusive and blocking game subs, bundles, VR version and demo/betas) would be a perfect fit for many reasons because but specially because it would turn Sony a key player in fighting games (Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom), horror (Resident Evil), monster hunting games (MH), hack & slash (GoW + DMC), zombie games (RE + Dead Rising) and arcade (tons of titles)

Inline with your first strategy, if the goal is to damage the Xbox brand, one of my ideas was to buy Annapurna and Devolver.
I think it would be a great idea to buy both Annapurna and Devolver -I'd add Dotemu to the list-, and maybe even without turning (at least timed) console exclusive their games, I'd make most of them day one PS Plus games and would block all of them forever from rival game subs like GP.

I'd allow them to use Sony IPs with cool indie teams (these would be full console exclusives), I'm pretty sure they'd do great stuff.

That would give Sony tons of quality small games and a ton of stuff for PS+, plus also would help keep some old Sony IPs alive and they would even make cool mobile games, they would be the perfect 'boutique parters' they mentioned for mobile.

And would remove many quality indies from GP.

Xbox Gamepass does not generate a lot of revenue and is in the red; we all know that. Most of their games are indies, and many of the good ones come from Developer and Annapurna.

If Sony buys those two publishers, that'd deny a lot of the games going to Gamepass. That'd lead to two things:
  1. Xbox Gamepass will have fewer monthly games, or
  2. Xbox will have to spend more money to bring AAA games, which is not feasible for them.
Considering they make around $750-ish million every year from GP (while PS+ makes over $3,000 million), they will hardly be able to afford one big AAA per month.
I think that if Sony buys Annapurna and Devolver, or maybe Dotemu and Raw Fury too they would fuck GP but there are a fuck ton of cool indies so MS would put other ones in GP to replace them.

It would hurt GP because tons of top indies wouldn't be there and they'd need to make a bigger effort to find cool indies, but I think they'd still find enough good indies to continue with the current GP strategy.

We have to remember that before the release of Halo Infinite and Horizon 5, GP was like over a year with a stagnant amount of subscribers. Meaning that they reached a point where seems only new big console exclusive AAA games make them grow in GP. For MS indies are basically low cost stuff to make time until the next big release in GP, don't help them grow so I think won't invest on them with acquisitions. Double Fine and adding a lot of old or multiplatform Bethesda games seems didn't help to grow GP.

Diablo IV, CoD (this one maybe won't be able to be in GP for a while) or Overwatch 2 will be multi. People won't give a fuck about Redfall, Grounded or Penitent. So in the next year, maybe only Starfield and Forza may help grow GP. And this is if people interested on them aren't already there. So it's possible that during the next year GP wouldn't grow because all these games. I think they only have a card that may help them grow during the next year: their deal with Riot because their userbase is huge and they make a lot of money.

If the Riot deal works well, I think that after closing the Activision Blizzard King acquisition their next big MS acquisition could be Riot. It would help them grow in PC, mobile and eSports plus in several genres they don't cover like MOBA, tactical shooters and soon fighting games (their upcoming LoL fighting game has potential to be huge).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I really don’t believe that Sony would ever consider to buy a western big publisher like Ubisoft. You see how long it takes to just approve a single studio like BUNGIE to only go through? The FTC seems like they don’t side with Sony (Japanese conpany) and more with Microsoft (real American one). As I recall correctly, Ubisoft has in North America about 7 studios alone. So you can assume, that the FTC would never approve it for the Japanese one. But aside that, Ubisoft lacks in many parts like quality and appeal, where Sony does similar and better games at this point. I have the feeling that Ubisoft will be bought by the Redmond company after the completed A/B deal…

I am staying with it, if Sony buys a publisher then it will be for 💯 someone from Japan.