Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I want SE to get bought by anyone else but Sony and then get closed permanently just so that I never have to see any more of this Sony should buy SE comment anywhere. I fucken hate any and all weebo shit that's coming from SE.
Boo Hoo.
Nobody cares about you western shills. It's guys like you helped PlayStation developing in the wrong direction. Just for spite I would grant anyone this merger happening, for saying bs like you have.

Last edited:

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
Boo Hoo.
Nobody cares about you western shills. It's guys like you helped PlayStation developing in the wrong direction. Just for spite I would grant anyone this merger happening, for saying bs like you have.
Boo Hoo you lol
It's the Western first party single player games that have made PlayStation what it is today not Weebo shit. We buy games while ff weebo shit sell in smaller and smaller increments than ever. Go play with your kiddy Nintendo.

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
Ofc it had to be an anime gurl pp that comes to defense fellow weebo lol go look at MC top 10 hell top 50 games for PS3, PS4 and PS5, it's almost completely western devs

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Boo Hoo you lol
It's the Western first party single player games that have made PlayStation what it is today not Weebo shit. We buy games while ff weebo shit sell in smaller and smaller increments than ever. Go play with your kiddy Nintendo.
Sony is Japanese. So is PlayStation as a brand. That's not correct.
What helped in making PlayStation become a great brand in the whole world, where literally Japanese games. This cancer, like GTA and COD, started with PS3 and got worse with PS4. I am really thankful that Jim Ryan has resigned. This pathetic era of westernization has ended. I will grant it to you when the next CEO is Japanese conservative and pushes more aggressively for Asian games overall. So western shills like you can leave the PlayStation community forever.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
All of the points are fitting the description of long time partners like Square. They pour so much cash in them, might as well acquire them. FF is synonymous with a PlayStation IP. It would be better to own the rights then only to pay for limited exclusivity. Also speaking of teams being capable in creating new and fresh IPs. Square Enix has a drove for talent. Square has sheer potential when it comes to creative minds. In case of acquisition Sony would expand all existing creative business units and even create new ones. We should keep in mind that Sony had high ambitions for the anime market. The franchises of Square Enix are prefect suited for this ambitions. Plus they would get their first Manga publishing label with Gangan Comics. Another reason is also to protect the partner. Let's forget about Microsoft, there also other potential threats like Tencent. In my opinion it's the best time in acquiring a big company like Square. Sony should utilize this opportunity.
Square may not want to sell. And if they don't want, Sony won't buy them.

On top of this, Square has different non gaming/movie/music business areas where Sony may not be interested to own (books, magazines, manga, arcade games and arcade facilities).

Sony may also think that PS is the RPG machine and has that genre more than covered, so don't need to address them via 1st party, and that instead their 1st party has to grow instead in other areas like PC or mobile where SE does it ok but isn't a key player. Sony also may think it makes more sense for them to just paid timed console exclusives than to spend several billions to acquire them. Or maybe both were interested on an acquisition but Sony didn't have anough budget available and had to wait several years more until they get enough money. Or may consider that the costs of recent acquisitions are too high and are affecting too much to the profitability and may want to wait some time before making more.

Square said they'll turn some gamedev studios into subsidiary companies to allow external investors to own part of them. So maybe Sony will do this, buy totally or partially some of their studios instead of the whole SE.

Regarding new IP, Bungie, Firewalk and Haven has people who leaded the creation of new IP that broke the records of fastest selling new IP ever in gaming history. SE don't, and their main IPs are from almost 40 years ago.

On top of that, they may consider that regulators may block the acquisition.

I think it would be a good acquisition, and I'd like to see Sony expanding to arcades, mangas or books. But I understand that Sony has many reasons to don't want to buy them, or at least right now. Or not being able to do it now/soon. And also SE having reasons to not wanting to be sold.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
There is neither evidence that Square Enix has no interest in selling nor do they own Arcarde facilities. Square has one single Cafe in Tokyo & small Hotel. The Manga publishing label would be more than a prestigious get for Sony's anime ambitions. They would gain access to all the Manga franchises to adapt to Anime. Don't know why this should be disadvantage for them.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
The Eidos Montreal founder did say he heard rumors that "Sony was really interested in Square Enix Tokyo but not the rest".

But that was during the time Square was divesting studios I think.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
The Eidos Montreal founder did say he heard rumors that "Sony was really interested in Square Enix Tokyo but not the rest".

If there is truth in it, we will need to keep in mind that mergers like this don't happen overnight. If the talks/interest started in 2022, then we can assume this could take some time. When Phil Spencer acquired Bethesda, he said pre talks/negotiations started 2.5 years before. Japanese corporations have probably more complex procedures then we can imagine. I still have hope this merger happening before PS6 launches.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Square Enix did say they plan to turn some studios into subsidiary companies to allow external investors get part of them / invest (or who knows if to acquire) only specific parts of the company.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
It's really time for Sony to put a ring on them.

Square is suffering. If tvey should be open to sell I am convinced they will approach Sony first.

Leadership at Square has been very weak, chasing live service a bit too much and other fads.

They also thought announcing more support for Xbox would do a lot for them... Well, look how that turned out.

If there was a quick fix to Sony's and squares problems, I would say it is for Sony to buy square and for Shuhei Yoshida to be CEO.

Reactions: Dabaus

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
but Sony will waste 10B dollars on Paramount when they can have Square for 4B
7y7YByz.png

Reactions: Puff

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
but Sony will waste 10B dollars on Paramount when they can have Square for 4B
7y7YByz.png

There's more to it I think.

They can't just take the entirety of earnings from entire sony group and invest into SIE growth.

Paramount will be a venture with another investment firm, they are much lower in Market Cap than years ago.

Also you have to pay a 20-40 % premium for a complete acquisition. So 4.3 billion will be near 6 billion.

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
There's more to it I think.

They can't just take the entirety of earnings from entire sony group and invest into SIE growth.

Paramount will be a venture with another investment firm, they are much lower in Market Cap than years ago.

Also you have to pay a 20-40 % premium for a complete acquisition. So 4.3 billion will be near 6 billion.
6 billion is still cheap for what SE can offer to PlayStation, with SE on hands, Sony has a chance of competing toe to toe with Nintendo in the Japanese market, specially with the new handheld they're developing with AMD

Reactions: TigerFang

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
6 billion is still cheap for what SE can offer to PlayStation, with SE on hands, Sony has a chance of competing toe to toe with Nintendo in the Japanese market, specially with the new handheld they're developing with AMD
I agree with you, SE would be an incredible acquisition, that would fit the PlayStation brand alot, I think even if they acquire them some games will release on switch 2, but I hope to see it happen.