Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Going with @Yurinka post, I would oppose or mind Sony buying paradox and Ubisoft and keep their games multiplatform.

Would be a win win for gamers and Sony.
only xbox can buy huge publisher and make their games exclusive. it is sustainable because of the m$, they pretty much have infinite money, not like xbox. no other reasonable company which want to make a profit and be healthy company, would do that, it is not sustainable.

soon xbots comes to reality were xbox products will reach garbage bin quality and in the same time evaporates the reasonable worth of gamepass. it is circle of gaming life basically.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I really don’t believe that Sony would ever consider to buy a western big publisher like Ubisoft. You see how long it takes to just approve a single studio like BUNGIE to only go through? The FTC seems like they don’t side with Sony (Japanese conpany) and more with Microsoft (real American one). As I recall correctly, Ubisoft has in North America about 7 studios alone. So you can assume, that the FTC would never approve it for the Japanese one. But aside that, Ubisoft lacks in many parts like quality and appeal, where Sony does similar and better games at this point. I have the feeling that Ubisoft will be bought by the Redmond company after the completed A/B deal…

I am staying with it, if Sony buys a publisher then it will be for 💯 someone from Japan.
isn't Ubisoft Europe company? Sony should abide to Europe laws. the same way like saying that m$ could buy Square enix because they had american studios. no, they would abide Japan laws not US.

Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Going with @Yurinka post, I would oppose or mind Sony buying paradox and Ubisoft and keep their games multiplatform.

Would be a win win for gamers and Sony.
Ubisoft said that even if as a public company they are forced to receive and review any acquisition offer, they don't want to sell, specially at a company that would affect their plans of supporting everyone and their creative freedom.

On top of that, even if they'd want to sell it would be better for them to wait a couple of years. They had a year or two without big releases due to covid and their roadmap, and starting this year they will start to release many big projects that have been under development for a while, so their revenue and value will go up for the next 2 or 3 fiscal years. It started with the low profile launch of Roller Champions but it should follow Mario x Rabbids 2, Avatar, the next Assasin's Creed and the next reboot of the series, Skull & Bones, the 3rd The Division (F2P), Rocksmith +, The Settlers reboot, Rainbow Six Mobile, Assassin's Creed VR and Splinter Cell VR, a few new IPs more, Prince of Persia remake and some games more. I have no idea about the BGE2 release date but I'd bet 2024.
I really don’t believe that Sony would ever consider to buy a western big publisher like Ubisoft. You see how long it takes to just approve a single studio like BUNGIE to only go through? The FTC seems like they don’t side with Sony (Japanese conpany) and more with Microsoft (real American one). As I recall correctly, Ubisoft has in North America about 7 studios alone. So you can assume, that the FTC would never approve it for the Japanese one. But aside that, Ubisoft lacks in many parts like quality and appeal, where Sony does similar and better games at this point. I have the feeling that Ubisoft will be bought by the Redmond company after the completed A/B deal…

I am staying with it, if Sony buys a publisher then it will be for 💯 someone from Japan.
FTC and the rest of regulators from the other countries won't stop the Activision Blizzard King and Bungie acquisitions because they are very far from having any monopoly, and even if they are top companies in the gaming industry they have a very small market share, slightly above 10%. And after these acquisitions are completed, same would happen if MS or Sony want to buy Ubisoft or a bigger publisher like EA or Take 2. No regulator would stop it.

Regulators are not going to influence who buys Sony next. What it's going to influence is if Sony thinks it's a great fit to buy them, if they are the best option available, if that company wants to sell, if they can buy it with their available budget and if they think it's the best moment to buy them. They may decide to wait to get a more favorable currency exchange, or because they think that the price of the company they want to buy will drop in a year or two, or simply they think that with the new PS+, upcoming H2 2022 exclusives like GoWR or Forspoken and early 2023 stuff like PSVR2 stuff and availability of console will keep have the hype high for a while, so may save the megaton hype card for later once the hype starts to go down and once the acquisition approvals and (this will take almost a year) total integration of Bungie is totally completed.

only xbox can buy huge publisher and make their games exclusive. it is sustainable because of the m$, they pretty much have infinite money, not like xbox. no other reasonable company which want to make a profit and be healthy company, would do that, it is not sustainable.

soon xbots comes to reality were xbox products will reach garbage bin quality and in the same time evaporates the reasonable worth of gamepass. it is circle of gaming life basically.
In the same way basically all Mojang, Bethesda, Activision Blizzard and Bungie games will continue being multiplatform, same would happen with Ubisoft if Sony or MS buys them.

They would make exclusive their marketing, appearance in game subs, bundles or betas/demos. And maybe would turn some games timed console exclusives for them. But all o almost games would continue multiplatform. Because their main goal by acquiring these publishers is to increase revenue, profit and market share plus securing stuff for their console and game subs.

Sony and MS are expanding to PC, mobile and (via these acquired 3rd party publishers) even the other consoles, and into other areas (VR, eSports, GaaS, game subs, cloud gaming, movies/tv shows/etc). AAA games become bigger every generation so they need more revenue sources. So Sony and MS aim for a way bigger pie, where that direct competition company represents a smaller portion of the total pie. Meaning that a console exclusivity has way less impact on that global plan and basiacally would only mean to earn less revenue and profit. And they want as much as revenue and profit as possible to reinvest it into continue growing.

Last edited:
  • brain

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I think part of WB games would be appealing for them to be included in PS Studios (meaning console exclusive and no PC version for like 2 years):
  • Netherrealm: to turn their 1st party a key player in another genre, fighting games, MK is the top one in sales of the genre and has potential for movies and anime plus also would help them grow in multiplayer
  • Traveller's Games and Avalanche: to become a key player in movie licensed games and quality, super successful kid focused games
  • Rocksteady: this doesn't fit in the list I mentioned the want to cover, but would be the best option if they want to acquire another studiio for superhero games or to develop sequels or reboot one of their top 1st party action adventure IPs that are sleeping because their studios are busy with other projects, or even to bring them to different genre. Stuff like an Uncharted, Ghost of Tsushima, Days Gone, Killzone, Team Ico games etc.
In Xbox-centric places they are saying that MS hired lots of ex-WB employees recently and Ed Boon (Mortal Kombat) is a personal friend of Phil Spencer. They are 100% sure MS will announce a deal (or some kind of acquisition) with them soon. That's what worries me.

Unless WB has a nice relationship with Sony Pictures? Maybe if they want their movies/series it would be a better deal to make a deal with Playstation instead?

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
In Xbox-centric places they are saying that MS hired lots of ex-WB employees recently and Ed Boon (Mortal Kombat) is a personal friend of Phil Spencer. They are 100% sure MS will announce a deal (or some kind of acquisition) with them soon. That's what worries me.

Unless WB has a nice relationship with Sony Pictures? Maybe if they want their movies/series it would be a better deal to make a deal with Playstation instead?
You would think with everything that is going on at WB they would shy away from Xbox for the time being till all the act/bliz and Xbox problems fade away

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

The xbox-centric places were also expecting to see games like Hellblade, Fable or Avowed etc this year and got Pentiment instead. People who have been working in the industry for many years have many friends in other companies, including direct competition. So make sure he has friends on Xbox, PlayStation, Capcom, Bandai Namco and so on.

But this doesn't affect deals and acquisitions, which are more related to possible synergies between the companies, money, etc. In the case of fighting games PlayStation has EVO, it's the default platform for tournaments and fighting games players and most sales of the genre are on PS, and Sony also has the movies, animation etc. stuff.

So MS could offer more money for it, but Netherrealm could see more reasons to choose Sony specially if they want to grow in their tournaments and eSports side, which is the only area where MK is weak compared to the other key series of the genre so they may want to grow there.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Agreed.
Personally Ubisoft would be a giant waste. I don’t play Assassins Creed or Farcry. Or Watch dogs. We don’t need more open world games on Playstation. We need Fighting games, JRPG’S, 1st person shooters and WRPG’s. Thats what they are mainly lacking.

Ubisoft has got some good older IP, but Warner would be way better if it comes to western publishers.

And Japanese publishers would be better than both of those

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Agreed.
Personally Ubisoft would be a giant waste. I don’t play Assassins Creed or Farcry. Or Watch dogs. We don’t need more open world games on Playstation. We need Fighting games, JRPG’S, 1st person shooters and WRPG’s. Thats what they are mainly lacking.

Ubisoft has got some good older IP, but Warner would be way better if it comes to western publishers.

Completely agree with Ubisoft. Bloated organisation just like their games.

I think Sony has enough developers for the Western market.

Maybe Deviation games and a WRPG developer like Larian studios would make it perfect.

The only major gap Sony needs to fill is on the Japanese side. Only Capcom or Square Enix imho are viable choices.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Agreed.

My first pick would be Capcom.

Second would be Square Enix

Third Kadokawa / From

and they should buy Arc System Works no-matter the outcome above.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
If this question was asked a few years ago I would’ve also mentioned Level 5 as a good acquisition.

They’ve gone really quiet.

Wonder how much they are worth.

• they're_right_you_know
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Do you remember the man behind the deals Urawa? He is the one which enabled many exclusive for the X360 like Lost Odyssee from Mistwalker and other games. He is now working since 2021 for Sony. Maybe he could arrange an exclusive PS5 game by Sakaguchi?
That would be so fire!

24 Jun 2022
First off; hello everyone! And very good to be here. Thanks also @Papacheeks for hitting me up with a link, much appreciated. Been fun reading through the convos in some of the other threads, too.

On the topic of Sony acquisitions, I know a lot of you are speculating on who Sony could buy from a finances/strategy POV but I'm personally more interested in terms of who they could get WRT doing more with some of their legacy IP and maybe those of whoever it is they buy. That's why picks like Ubisoft or Netherrealm, despite how they seem in terms of the fiscals, I just don't give much a crap about. They have little to no IP I'm actually interested in outside of Rayman and maybe Rider's Republic, and Mortal Kombat & Batman.

However, I can kind of live without any of those tbh. You can sacrifice Batman for Spiderman & Venom (& Wolverine), you can sacrifice Rayman for Astrobot, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Tomba! etc. You can even sacrifice Rider's Republic for Motorstorm. The only one of those IP-wise that Sony doesn't necessarily have a 1P equivalent for is Mortal Kombat, but if it's a matter of having an in-house fighter, why not just buy out the rights for Bloody Roar instead? That still has a lot of nostalgia tied to it IMO.

Same way I've been thinking of it these days for Microsoft, for Sony I'm more interested in the ways these acquisitions can maybe bring back some classic IP, as well as benefit the purchaser's finances. I'd like for these to have a balance; it's kind of why I saw the Zenimax acquisition for MS being an overall better pickup for them than ABK; yeah ABK brings in more money, but very few of their IP have any legacy with Xbox and they have less relevant IP (for my tastes) than Zenimax does, too. So I can see where Ubisoft, EA or WB make a ton of sense for Sony financially, and they all have some pretty strong legacy with PlayStation, but if it were me looking to buy, I wouldn't go after them, or maybe just limit it to one of those picks, mainly WB. Let someone else pick up Ubisoft, EA etc. if they want.

So for me, acquisitions I would be most interested in from Sony would be Capcom, Square-Enix and Sega, if we're talking publishers. The least likely is probably Sega; they just seem very close with Microsoft these days and I only hope in the case IF MS go after them, they will have already proven they can actually make Zenimax & ABK (as well as the 2018 studio pickups) better off or I'll be extremely pissed off, there's no reason for them to really buy more ATM when they still need to prove they can maximize the acquisitions they've already purchased so far, otherwise they look like patent trolls IMO. There are obviously some Sega IP I would like to see come back like Panzer Dragoon, Dragon Force, (classic) Phantasy Star, Outrun etc. but I don't know if there are any Sega teams that could do much for Sony's classic IPs and some of those Sega IP I like, Sony technically have equivalents for in some way (the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus/Last Guardian type games for Panzer Dragoon for example, thematically speaking).

OTOH, Capcom and Square-Enix have a lot of classic IP of their own I'd love to see come back as either AAA reboots/sequels or AA & indie remakes/reboots/sequels. Einhander, Parasite Eve, Mega Man, Power Stone, Dino Crisis, Racing Lagoon, etc. I think they also have some teams that could do really well for some of Sony's classic IPs like Legend of Dragoon, Parappa/UmJammer, Tomba!, Driveclub, Ueda Trilogy etc. There's a lot of synergy there, and that can extend beyond games because a lot of those IP could make for great anime/CG/live-action adaptations, manga adaptations, toy lines, artbook collections, clothing apparel, etc. It would also do really well in terms of utilizing nostalgia (something Nintendo are masters at...maybe almost TOO well) and be a great balance for their big marquee, more modern IP like TLOU, Spiderman, Ghosts of Tsushima, Horizon, etc.

So yeah in terms of publishers the two for Sony I'd be most interested in (and are also likely among the more realistic to happen anyway) are Square-Enix and Capcom. I wouldn't of mind Sega but it seems like they might be veering closer to Microsoft these days, tho the two have had some pretty strong historical relations (at least as far back as Windows CE for Dreamcast, but even a bit earlier). I do see the immediate value in WB and they have IP I'm interested in as well, but that's mainly in terms of comic book characters like Batman, and I wonder if Sony could just work out a licensing deal for the "Batman universe" for games and have right of first refusal in case they want to exclusively work with a certain character or characters. If they could do that while just buying select WB studios, even better.

As for companies like EA, Ubisoft or even Take-Two...I know they are massive but there's not a lot in terms of IP between those three I'm very interested in. Off the top of my head, I can think of Road Rash (dormant), Haunting Starring Poultryguy (dormant), Test Drive (dormant), Burnout (Dormant), Grand Theft Auto, Rayman, and Rider's Republic. Four of those are effectively racing games (and not much that something like a new Motorstorm couldn't incorporate gameplay elements of), one's so niche (tho very cool; play it if you haven't) that they could basically do their own take without the IP, one's a solid platformer that isn't without peers or betters (including some Sony themselves own already), and the last is...well admittedly, it's THE largest single IP in the industry, the quintessential open-world game but, honestly, it's not like GTA would go anywhere regardless who buys them, and Sony could still bring in some really good money with other options if money is focus.

For me tho, money isn't everything and that's why ultimately if they have to pick up a prominent publisher or two, the best fits are likely Capcom and Square-Enix. If they can work out licensing deals with Konami for, say, Castlevania, MGS etc. then cool; same with some of Sega's stuff, but in both cases, those wouldn't be vital. If there's any one Western publisher worth seriously considering, it's WB. I've seen some of y'all mention studios like Ember Labs, or small indie publishers like Devolver Digital...I think those would be very good fits too, even maybe a developer like Asobo if they were actually interested in being acquired (tho that one would probably be more hotly contested; I was always thinking a while back that MS should've tried picking them up but that moment might have passed for them).

At the end of the day tho, especially when it comes to publishers, for me it's about what pubs bring the IP (and the teams that can do right by their IP as well as those of a buyer like Sony's, particularly the classic IP) that perhaps can get love via some new indie, mid-tier & especially upper mid-tier and AAA games that we wouldn't of gotten otherwise. Because that's the most interesting in my eyes. If Sony buying SE means a new AAA Parasite Eve, that's awesome! If it "just" means securing permanent exclusivity for a Final Fantasy they would've already had multi-year exclusivity for before, then that's maybe smart for Sony's finances, but isn't as awesome because we would be getting that Final Fantasy regardless, as exclusive or multiplat, even. Same with Capcom; if Sony buying Capcom means we can get a new AAA Dino Crisis or a new AA Darkstalkers, that'd be amazing, especially if we have little to no chance of that happening without an acquisition. But if it just means Sony now getting more revenue off SFVI & RE4 Remake sales, again that's smart for their finances, but not nearly as exciting to me in terms of maximizing possibilities.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
@thicc_girls_are_teh_best SQEX could revive many legacy IPs from Sony. They could make new Wild Arms games, Legend of the Dragoon Remake and sequels, Alundra, continue Arc the Lad series, Reboot of White Knight Chronicles, maybe a collaboration game for Playstation All-Stars Battle with Final Fantasy characters. But I really have the feeling it will be SQE. Not just because I am prefering them, because of many others aspects. Like more collaborations in movies, animes, no FF7R for Xbox, Hardware with SQEX designs for example the Sony Walkman in Kingdom Hearts branding and more. I am really cheering for that buyout by Sony. Let’s hope it will happen!

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
My first pick would be Capcom.

Second would be Square Enix

Third Kadokawa / From

and they should buy Arc System Works no-matter the outcome above.

Capcom would be my first choice too.Would grant them immortality lol. But supposedly they aren’t for sale.

Personally Id rather have Sega instead of Square just because of Persona, SMT, Panzer Dragoon and Yakuza, but Id love Square too, its probably the better choice. I just think Xbox has a chance of working with Sega and I don’t want that lol.

From is a dream purchase because they work so well with Playstation studios.

And yes Arc regardless, Sony needs to be smart and buy

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Capcom would be my first choice too.Would grant them immortality lol. But supposedly they aren’t for sale.

Personally Id rather have Sega instead of Square just because of Persona, SMT, Panzer Dragoon and Yakuza, but Id love Square too, its probably the better choice. I just think Xbox has a chance of working with Sega and I don’t want that lol.

From is a dream purchase because they work so well with Playstation studios.

And yes Arc regardless, Sony needs to be smart and buy

A major reason for Sony buying a Japanese developer is to revive their Japanese business. We all know Japanese prefer Mobiles and Handhelds.

Square Enix out of those 3 could probably help the most to revive Sonys Business in Japan and Handhelds.

Dragon Quest is a major player.