Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I believe that Sony will continue to acquire development studios that fill a gap/void or that fits in with what they're currently doing. While some may disagree, I don't believe that they will acquire any publisher simply due to the fact that they would be losing the 30% cut made from all game sales from that respective publisher and this is something I don't believe Sony is willing to sacrifice.

Flawed logic. If they acquire a publisher
  • And decide to keep things in house they win the other 70% in their platform, losing competing platforms revenue
  • If they keep their publisher 3rd party, they still win the other 70% from sales in their platform and don't lose 3rd party platform revenue
What you describe is nonsense.

P

peter42O

Flawed logic. If they acquire a publisher
  • And decide to keep things in house they win the other 70% in their platform, losing competing platforms revenue
  • If they keep their publisher 3rd party, they still win the other 70% from sales in their platform and don't lose 3rd party platform revenue
What you describe is nonsense.

It's not flawed due to the fact that the 70% won't matter much when they're investing hundreds of millions of dollars into their games which is what they don't have to do now meaning the 30% is free money where as the 70% could get evened out or end up losing them money and looking at Square Enix, they do lose money on most of their games.

If they keep a publisher third party, that to me in my mind defeats the entire purpose of acquiring them. To acquire companies to make them your own, not still have them working on competing platforms.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's not flawed due to the fact that the 70% won't matter much when they're investing hundreds of millions of dollars into their games which is what they don't have to do now meaning the 30% is free money where as the 70% could get evened out or end up losing them money and looking at Square Enix, they do lose money on most of their games.

If they keep a publisher third party, that to me in my mind defeats the entire purpose of acquiring them. To acquire companies to make them your own, not still have them working on competing platforms.

Nobody will buy a house, because right now a cheaper rental is cheap.

Your logic, again, flawless.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I believe that Sony will continue to acquire development studios that fill a gap/void or that fits in with what they're currently doing. While some may disagree, I don't believe that they will acquire any publisher simply due to the fact that they would be losing the 30% cut made from all game sales from that respective publisher and this is something I don't believe Sony is willing to sacrifice. With that said, I am hoping they acquire Square Enix as they're easily the best fit for them publisher wise and most of their games are exclusive to PlayStation anyway. But again, I believe that it all comes down to if Sony is willing to sacrifice that 30% cut from game sales.

Yeah I kinda agree.
Wouldn’t they get more than 30% if they publish the game themselves though?
It will cost them more because they are developing it/paying for it, but theres no middleman. Lets say they purchase Square. All the Final Fantasy profit will go to them/ studio etc. Instead of also Square

Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
If Sony buys Square Enix, they will receive all profit, because they would be a fully owned subsidiary of Sony. In the end all revenue and profit goes to Sony. Expect the 30% revenue split on other stores and platforms.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Looking at them now... Battlestate Games / the Escape from Tarkov developer is still independent and would be a great pick up for Sony to have it ported and polished up and have it on PS and PC.

Can also expand the gameplay modes etc.

So add them to my list of Square, CDPR and Arc.

bxrz

30 Aug 2022
Does anyone think Sony won’t be buying anymore studios let alone a publisher. They’ve bought a few studios they had a working relationship with ( Bluepoint, Housemarque, Insomnia ) and some others like Bungie which isn’t their usual style
They'll buy studios that fills their needs but I don't think they will ever buy a publisher

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Both Square and Konami would be worth it for IP associated with PlayStation alone. Square is super valuable from a talent perspective too; considering FF14 in particular.

In Konami’s instance however the Castlevania and Metal Gear is worth it and the rest of the publisher is not since they’re barely even make games.

I would rather see MGS and Castlevania is Sony’s hands than Konami’s at this point… they’re dead.

• fire
Reactions: Kokoloko
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I doubt regulators would allow the market leader to take a publisher off the board. Especially if its a major one like Take-Two or EA
Lol you wish so. Your market position doesn’t have anything to do with. Your assets are which worries regulators. Sony has effectively 14-15 developing studios, porting and support studios I did exclude. When Microsoft gets the ABK Deal approved, they will have approximately 37-38 studios.

And of course they would approve the buyout of Square Enix for Sony. Even Konami if Sony would buy both. Nintendo has monopoly there, they have like 85% market share. You aren’t fooling anyone.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I doubt regulators would allow the market leader to take a publisher off the board. Especially if its a major one like Take-Two or EA

Yeah, I doubt they would go for TakeTwo or EA anyway... most of their IP's are sports related and would be required multiplat anyway.

I would be thinking something much smaller..... Square or CDPR, that are a little bit bigger than Bungie.

Like CDPR would be very comparable to Bungie in my eyes.

bxrz

30 Aug 2022
Yeah, I doubt they would go for TakeTwo or EA anyway... most of their IP's are sports related and would be required multiplat anyway.

I would be thinking something much smaller..... Square or CDPR, that are a little bit bigger than Bungie.

Like CDPR would be very comparable to Bungie in my eyes.
In the case of CDPR, that would go through. But I don't see why CDPR would want to get bought by Sony.

Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
In the case of CDPR, that would go through. But I don't see why CDPR would want to get bought by Sony.

Well, the context and discussions of why they might is a blind spot for us.... but I know that CDPR wasn't doing well financially, particularly their GOG.com was losing a lot of money.

So if Sony had a plan for PC, they might be able to help with that.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
Sony will buy who they think is good for them, none of us saw Bungie coming.
If they buy Capcom or Square Enix, they will make it exclusive.

I personally think Sony will go the route with Rebel wolves and Humanoid Studios for their WRPG output.