Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
You don’t drop any process to buy a company. This a lot of stuff to overthink. So I think Sony will do something big, regardless if ABK deal gets approved or not. If you decide to buy company, you don’t turn back.
Yeah, that is true. Big acquisitions don't happen overnight.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Ok, need might be a strong word but there is a decent player base for the series on Switch.
Who cares. DQ fanbase is a guaranteed 5 million sales in Japan from people who buy the system for it, why would Sony help Nintendo if they bought Square Enix?

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
Who cares. DQ fanbase is a guaranteed 5 million sales in Japan from people who buy the system for it, why would Sony help Nintendo if they bought Square Enix?

It's not about "helping" Nintendo. If it remains profitable to do so, they will do it.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
The yen is still collapsing against the dollar so whatever Sonys Plans are they may want to hurry up and get on with it.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It's only a matter of time until Jetpack Interactive is a fully Sony owned studio. By the sounds of it Sony loves their work and they're an excellent fit for each other. GoW PC and Ragnarok PC, and now this new project coming from them based on a Sony IP... its evidence enough IMO that it's going to happen.

Sony has maxxed out their console audience. There's not much growth that can happen there.... but PC... that's going to be a major area of potential growth for Sony... so expect that to be where they focus their attention on for a while.
As far as I remember the Jetpack projects with Sony are GoW 2018 PC and GoWR PS5. No GoWR PC or a separate project, at least for now.

Sony wouldn't help Nintendo. If they buy SE pretty likely would block any SE exclusive for Nintendo and MS and would block their appeareance on their game subs.

But at least some of their games would continue being released on rival consoles, as they are doing with Bungie. But in the case of SE very likely they'd keep some SE games full PS exclusive, some other games timed exclusive, console exclusive, timed console exclusive or multiplatform since day one.

In the case of Dragon Quest, what I'd do being Sony would be to have a 2 or 3 years PS exclusive and after that period to release it on PC, Xbox and Switch.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Does anyone think Sony won’t be buying anymore studios let alone a publisher. They’ve bought a few studios they had a working relationship with ( Bluepoint, Housemarque, Insomnia ) and some others like Bungie which isn’t their usual style

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Does anyone think Sony won’t be buying anymore studios let alone a publisher. They’ve bought a few studios they had a working relationship with ( Bluepoint, Housemarque, Insomnia ) and some others like Bungie which isn’t their usual style
I think they will but the yen continues to drop to the dollar so whatever offers theyve made may have fallen through because of that. Im just speculating. I dont think its a good idea to sit on ther hands hoping this activision deal fails while the currency they use loses almost half of its value.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I think they will but the yen continues to drop to the dollar so whatever offers theyve made may have fallen through because of that. Im just speculating. I dont think its a good idea to sit on ther hands hoping this activision deal fails while the currency they use loses almost half of its value.

I would assume they have converted cash on hand to USD / Gold or something else.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
By the way some info:

Hermen Hulst (PS Studios president) , Jim Ryan (SIE CEO), Urata Keiichiro (Head of Japan/Asia + part of M&A team) , Christian Sevensson (Head of Global Third Party Relations) are all in Japan right now.👀👀👀

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
I don't think they'll buy anyone "big" at all, personally.

Doesn't fit what they've said, or done.. at all. Bungie is a big move for Sony... I expect any other acquisitions to fall under that level of purchase, not above it.

Expect more mobile and maybe PC oriented purchases IMO. They are already STACKED with studios pumping out big AAA games for console.

Beyond that.. expect them to maybe want to pad out their subscription service(s), which IMO will almost certainly extend to PC at some point as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Kokoloko
P

peter42O

I believe that Sony will continue to acquire development studios that fill a gap/void or that fits in with what they're currently doing. While some may disagree, I don't believe that they will acquire any publisher simply due to the fact that they would be losing the 30% cut made from all game sales from that respective publisher and this is something I don't believe Sony is willing to sacrifice. With that said, I am hoping they acquire Square Enix as they're easily the best fit for them publisher wise and most of their games are exclusive to PlayStation anyway. But again, I believe that it all comes down to if Sony is willing to sacrifice that 30% cut from game sales.

Reactions: Kokoloko