Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Sony will buy who they think is good for them, none of us saw Bungie coming.
If they buy Capcom or Square Enix, they will make it exclusive.

I personally think Sony will go the route with Rebel wolves and Humanoid Studios for their WRPG output.

Both of those studios have massive potential, would be exciting to see what they come out with.

The anticipation of seeing something really new and different is awesome...not having pre-existing expectations.

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
Both of those studios have massive potential, would be exciting to see what they come out with.

The anticipation of seeing something really new and different is awesome...not having pre-existing expectations.
Plus Capcom DNA is evergreen titles which Sony likes.

MH = GaaS/MP
RE = Horror
DMC = Action
Onimusha = 3rd person action
SF = Fighter
Breath of Fire = JRPG
DD = WRPG

Fits every goal that Sony needs and wants

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I personally think Sony will go the route with Rebel wolves and Humanoid Studios for their WRPG output.
Sony doesn't need to buy a "WRPG" (such name doesn't have any meaning, theres no common or unique thing in WRPG compared to the Asian ones) studio. They already have their own RPG games plus the ones from Ubisoft or CD Project and basically every single 3rd party Japanese RPG dev. They even have a ton of exclusive ones.

Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
No. They're making GoWR PC.

They developed it alongside the PS5 version and the PC version of GoW 2018.
Any evidence for this, or ITK Twitter info?

There is absolutely no source or evidence saying that they are working on GoWR PC, and it's impossible that it could exist because such version has not been announced and won't be announced anywhere soon because they'll take years or at least a year to release it. If they ever release it.

Instead they said that have been working now as one of the development teams of GoWR PS5, instead of porters.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022

MH = GaaS/MP
RE = Horror
DMC = Action
SF = Fighter
Breath of Fire = JRPG
DD = WRPG

Not to mention Capcom's support of VR, or IP value of PS associated games/characters, and potential for wider media integration with Sony.

• brain

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Dear lord.... Milla Jovovich and Tom Holland will be in every single film!
tears crying GIF
Sad Tom Holland GIF by Spider-Man

bxrz

30 Aug 2022
Well, the context and discussions of why they might is a blind spot for us.... but I know that CDPR wasn't doing well financially, particularly their GOG.com was losing a lot of money.

So if Sony had a plan for PC, they might be able to help with that.
They wasn't but they are now. They've successfully revived Cyberpunk. The CP show was a massive success. The CP2077 DLC comes next year. Sequel is in development. 2 Witcher games are in development

They don't need Sony for anything.

MH = GaaS/MP
RE = Horror
DMC = Action
SF = Fighter
Breath of Fire = JRPG
DD = WRPG

Yea but why would Capcom want to get bought by Sony? They're in the best spot they've ever been in. Monster Hunter prints money. Resident Evil is as big as ever. SF6 looks great. Them too don't need Sony

Last edited:

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
They wasn't but they are now. They've successfully revived Cyberpunk. The CP show was a massive success. The CP2077 DLC comes next year. Sequel is in development. 2 Witcher games are in development

Yea but why would Capcom want to get bought by Sony? They're in the best spot they've ever been in. Monster Hunter prints money. Resident Evil is as big as ever. SF6 looks great. Them too don't need Sony

I mean....did Activision need MS? (That's somewhat an honest question) You never know what's gonna happen these days.

• they're_right_you_know
24 Jun 2022

I mean, Insomniac were also in the best spot they've ever been in after Spiderman hit, and Sony bought them anyway. I don't think Sony are like Microsoft in that respect.

Microsoft have a habit of buying or investing into studios/publishers when they are financially weakened or in some type of organizational trouble, or state of disarray. Ninja Theory, Obsidian & Double Fine were all struggling to secure funding due to prior financial failures; MS saw an opportunity and bought them. Zenimax were in big financial trouble and just lost a source in their then-current financer; MS saw an opportunity and bought them. ABK had a series of scandals pop up and go public causing tons of PR problems and hurting their stock prices; MS saw an opportunity and bought them.

There's a pattern in that respect. Sony do not have that type of pattern with buying developers or publishers. They don't wait until they are in a financially weakened position in order to justify making an offer to buy. If the company fits their goals, and have results to prove it, Sony just...makes an attempt to buy them. Or in some cases, just hire specific key talent into internal teams that already exist or are being started up.

Capcom could get an Elden Ring-level smash hit next year and that would have no deterrence on Sony considering an acquisition of them if both parties were interested. In fact, it would probably make Capcom even more desirable to them.

bxrz

30 Aug 2022
I mean, Insomniac were also in the best spot they've ever been in after Spiderman hit, and Sony bought them anyway. I don't think Sony are like Microsoft in that respect.

Microsoft have a habit of buying or investing into studios/publishers when they are financially weakened or in some type of organizational trouble, or state of disarray. Ninja Theory, Obsidian & Double Fine were all struggling to secure funding due to prior financial failures; MS saw an opportunity and bought them. Zenimax were in big financial trouble and just lost a source in their then-current financer; MS saw an opportunity and bought them. ABK had a series of scandals pop up and go public causing tons of PR problems and hurting their stock prices; MS saw an opportunity and bought them.

There's a pattern in that respect. Sony do not have that type of pattern with buying developers or publishers. They don't wait until they are in a financially weakened position in order to justify making an offer to buy. If the company fits their goals, and have results to prove it, Sony just...makes an attempt to buy them. Or in some cases, just hire specific key talent into internal teams that already exist or are being started up.

Capcom could get an Elden Ring-level smash hit next year and that would have no deterrence on Sony considering an acquisition of them if both parties were interested. In fact, it would probably make Capcom even more desirable to them.
You're still looking at it from the Sony POV and not from the Capcom POV. If Capcom has an Elden Ring-level hit then they will never be bought by anyone. They would have no need to be bought by anyone. They would have all the money and resources to be successful on their own

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
There is absolutely no source or evidence saying that they are working on GoWR PC, and it's impossible that it could exist because such version has not been announced and won't be announced anywhere soon because they'll take years or at least a year to release it. If they ever release it.

Instead they said that have been working now as one of the development teams of GoWR PS5, instead of porters.
Oh get real lmao, battered wives syndrome just never ends with you guys.

• haha
Reactions: Hezekiah

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

MH = GaaS/MP
RE = Horror
DMC = Action
SF = Fighter
Breath of Fire = JRPG
DD = WRPG

Yes, I think Capcom would be the best acquisition because would help Sony become a top player in more genres and niches where they still have no presence or almost no presence.

Some small extras on stuff that Capcom also has in the works to cover additional niches:
Mega Man and Ghosts 'n Goblins = 2D platformer
Final Fight and Captain Commando = beat'em up
Ace Attorney = mistery visual novel

P.S.: Dragon's Dogma is Japanese, not western. In particular it's an ARPG

Reactions: Hezekiah
P

peter42O

Capcom would be far better choice for Sony than Square Enix, that's for sure. At least in my opinion anyway.