Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Never heard of Dimps until now and just looked them up. They don't appear to be working on SF 6 according to their wikipedia page.

They made all their previous SF games since they went 3d, but most credit went to Capcom.

It is possible that Capcom bulked up or made a fighting game team since then.... have to wait on more info.

P

peter42O

interesting... what of Capcom's PSVR efforts? If MS owned Capcom would you view that as Sony doing too litlle too late? Or would ou expect MS to try to force multiplatform on Sony by publishing games with IP power, rather than trying to get GP onto rival consoles? Not sure that made much sense, do you see what I mean?

If Microsoft were to acquire Capcom (or anyone for that matter) it's because they wanted them more than anyone else and simply outbid others to get them. As for the PSVR stuff, I think Microsoft would just do what they've done since Bethesda. If there's an existing contract, they will just see it through because to go to court to fight the contract is simply more trouble and more costly than what it's worth.

If when you say, MS try to force multi-platform on Sony, this means if Sony acquires Capcom and Microsoft would fight it, in all honesty, I don't think Microsoft fights any acquisition by Sony unless it's Take Two Interactive due to GTA or Epic due to them using Unreal Engine.

If im misunderstanding what you're saying, then please explain.

P

peter42O

They made all their previous SF games since they went 3d, but most credit went to Capcom.

It is possible that Capcom bulked up or made a fighting game team since then.... have to wait on more info.

Okay. I never knew of Dimps. I always thought it was developed internally by Capcom. Of course, im not into fighting games and the last Street Fighter game I played was on 3DO. lol

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
If Microsoft were to acquire Capcom (or anyone for that matter) it's because they wanted them more than anyone else and simply outbid others to get them. As for the PSVR stuff, I think Microsoft would just do what they've done since Bethesda. If there's an existing contract, they will just see it through because to go to court to fight the contract is simply more trouble and more costly than what it's worth.

If when you say, MS try to force multi-platform on Sony, this means if Sony acquires Capcom and Microsoft would fight it, in all honesty, I don't think Microsoft fights any acquisition by Sony unless it's Take Two Interactive due to GTA or Epic due to them using Unreal Engine.

If im misunderstanding what you're saying, then please explain.
Sorry bud. Explaining isn't great most times with the smoke.

I meant more... Considering Sony won't have GP on PS, and MS have more money than most in a bidding war, eventually wouldn't MS have a collection of IP's and publish those on other consoles as a way around Sony not wanting GP?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Never heard of Dimps until now and just looked them up. They don't appear to be working on SF 6 according to their wikipedia page.
Maybe they didn't update the wikipedia, but according to the director and producer (SFV and SF6 will have the same director and producer), SF6 is being developed basically by the same team as SF5. They said that just after SFV Arcade Edition release, a part of the SFV team started to work on the preproduction of SF6 while the biggest chunk of devs continued updating SFV and over time they slowly started moving to SF6.

Counting everything over 20 different studios (nothing rare in AAA games) work in SFIV, SFV and -apparently, since it's the same team- SF6. Dimps were the lead development team in SFIV and SFV, where Capcom had a small in-house teams. SF6 apparently has a way bigger budget and scope, which I assume means it's going to have a lot more devs involved. Probably means that now they'll have a lot of in-house Capcom devs more and maybe their in-house dev team took the development lead now.

Fun fact: the Dimps CEO, Nishiyama, was the game designer of the first beat'em up, Kung Fu Master. Miyamoto worked in the team that ported it to NES and got influenced from it to make Super Mario Bros. Nishiyama got hired by Capcom and directed Street Fighter 1. Later he left to SNK and created the NeoGeo system and series like Fatal Fury and worked in many SNK classics until he left to create Dimps in the year 2000.

Last edited:
P

peter42O

Sorry bud. Explaining isn't great most times with the smoke.

I meant more... Considering Sony won't have GP on PS, and MS have more money than most in a bidding war, eventually wouldn't MS have a collection of IP's and publish those on other consoles as a way around Sony not wanting GP?

No problem. I guess they could publish them on other consoles but outside of Switch, there aren't any other consoles.

Maybe they didn't update the wikipedia, but according to the director and producer (SFV and SF6 will have the same director and producer), SF6 is being developed basically by the same team as SF5. They said that just after SFV Arcade Edition release, a part of the SFV team started to work on the preproduction of SF6 while the biggest chunk of devs continued updating SFV and over time they slowly started moving to SF6.

Counting everything over 20 different studios (nothing rare in AAA games) work in SFIV, SFV and -apparently, since it's the same team- SF6. Dimps were the lead development team in SFIV and SFV, where Capcom had a small in-house teams. SF6 apparently has a way bigger budget and scope, which I assume means it's going to have a lot more devs involved. Probably means that now they'll have a lot of in-house Capcom devs more and maybe their in-house dev team took the development lead now.

Okay. Good to know. Thank you for the information. Appreciate it.

I'm not big on fighting games anymore but Street Fighter 6 looks really good and the story premise appears to be good.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Okay. Good to know. Thank you for the information. Appreciate it.

I'm not big on fighting games anymore but Street Fighter 6 looks really good and the story premise appears to be good.
They said that as reference SF6 meant them almost like 3 times the work/are like 3 different games:
  • What they included in their 'Fighting Ground' part is the typical fighting game modes and content from the typical fighting games (arcade, versus, training...) using the normal menus
  • Then they have the 'World Tour' part is a big single player focused story mode where you build an avatar, learn about the story of the game and the background of the characters, and also acts as tutorial for the gameplay and the lore just in case you're new but in the form of a small open world game mixed with beat'em up portions and sf like fights against npcs created with the editor
  • And then there's the 'Battle Hub' part, which is like a small Street Fighter 'metaverse' where using your user created avatar you can interact with other player chatting with them in a huge 3D lobby, participating in tournaments, fighting other players in ranked or casual battles (also accesible via 2d menus in 'Fighting Ground', play retro games in cabinets, dance or do a dj in a dance area, take selfies posing on a photo call etc
They also introduced an insane amount not of only of content, but also a tons of settings to customize a shit ton of things to make your life easier and also to adapt better the game to your tastes.

In every single SF game since SF2 there always has been a huge amount of negative feedback with the initial reveals and gameplay sessions, but this didn't happened with the SF6 beta: it has been a super rare case where everyone provided very positive feedback and seems happy with the game.

The game is really promising, people is hyped and seems it's going to be a big hit.

Reactions: peter42O

LightBolt

4 Jul 2022
Whoever SIE buys, they will make stuff exclusive plain and simple. Bungie case was key to get the deal done.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Does it explicitly say its for playstation though?

I don't think it does. It's one of those "source: voices in my head" post. I may be absolutely wrong, but at a glance, I couldn't see any mention on budget for PS acquisitions.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I don't think it does. It's one of those "source: voices in my head" post. I may be absolutely wrong, but at a glance, I couldn't see any mention on budget for PS acquisitions.
I asked William Aguilar. He did confirm there is 6$ Billion Dollar left. But unknown purpose.