Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I'm curious to see what Bluepoint's original game looks like. They do a pretty good job with remakes.

Although I don't like a lot of the atmosphere/art direction changes, Demon's Souls is a technological powerhouse of a game.
I'm very curious as well as to what Bluepoint would do with a large budget. Given the types of games they chose to do remakes for (SOTC and Demons Souls), it could be something dark fantasy related.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I'm very curious as well as to what Bluepoint would do with a large budget. Given the types of games they chose to do remakes for (SOTC and Demons Souls), it could be something dark fantasy related.
can someone elaborate? didn't they say they are doing original content for existing IP? something similar..

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
can someone elaborate? didn't they say they are doing original content for existing IP? something similar..
From what I've seen, they said original content, I haven't seen where they said it was for an existing IP. I just assumed that it was their way of saying they wanted to make an original IP.

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022

From what I've seen, they said original content, I haven't seen where they said it was for an existing IP. I just assumed that it was their way of saying they wanted to make an original IP.

They only said "original content", which honestly can be interpreted either way. 🤷‍♂️

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I think CDPR working on Witcher 4, Witcher Remake, Cyberpunk Sequel, New IP, is a big thing.

Sony should try to acquire them Sony lacks any classical western RPG and the whole market is pretty much dominated by Xbox, Sony needs to buy CDPR & solve the WRPG crisis

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Oh, will Microsoft be selling it to them?
Oh no no, I meant that when some regulators would say something against Sony buying Square Enix (what some dudes here would believe) that they would counter it with, the argument that Microsoft bought Zenimax to justify it. But that’s unlikely to happen, approving too big Publishers for Microsoft but complaining about a midsized Japanese publisher for Sony. So I don’t think Sony would be really concerned about Square Enix getting approved.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
They also remastered Gravity Rush, Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection, MGS HD collection, Ico+SotC collection and GoW collection.

They did support work on GoWR, Titanfall and Flower, and ported PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale to Vita.

Plus before joining Bluepoint their lead members did work either at Retro Studios in games like the Metroid Prime games, Donkey Kong Returns or Mario Kart 7 or in other AAA studios like Blizzard working on stuff like Diablo II and WoW or many other top AAA hits from many different types.

I assume these folks can do pretty much any type of game, maybe with the help of a few great narrative/game design hirings, or overview, mentoring or support from some other studio that excels at that like ND or SSM.

Oh no no, I meant that when some regulators would say something against Sony buying Square Enix (what some dudes here would believe) that they would counter it with, the argument that Microsoft bought Zenimax to justify it. But that’s unlikely to happen, approving too big Publishers for Microsoft but complaining about a midsized Japanese publisher for Sony. So I don’t think Sony would be really concerned about Square Enix getting approved.
The acquisition of ABK shouldn't have any meaningful effect on Sony's success because they only represent a very small portion of the market, so the regulators should approve that acquisition. In the case of Square, they are way smaller than ABK, so regulators should care even less about it because the effect of that acquisition in the market would be way less important.

They only said "original content", which honestly can be interpreted either way. 🤷‍♂️
When announced their partnership with Sony, Bungie, Firewalk or Haven mentioned to be working on "new IPs". Nixxes were mentioned to work on PC ports. They didn't mention anything for Housemarque since they barely released Returnal when acquired, they were working on its post launch content. Regarding Firesprite they mentioned "multiple projects" and later we knew Horizon CoM was one of them.

For Bluepoint they said that weren't working on remasters, but "original content" instead. Which is a weird, not traditional wording. If they would have been working on a new IP game, I think they'd have mentioned "new IP" but wasn't the case. Later we they were a support team in GoWR. So maybe that 'original content' was to codevelop GoWR.

Or maybe in addition to this they were also working on something else for an existing IP. Regarding the wording of "content" instead of mentioning "game" maybe meant they outsourced content for GoWR, or maybe that they are working on a dlc for an existing game, which could be additional contnet to be included in a PS5+PC remaster/remake/director's cut that has been ported/remastered/remade by someone else.

Or maybe it means they are codeveloping a sequel or spinoff with other studio, as could be Bloodborne 2 with FromSoft, the next GoW with SSM, the next Uncharted with ND, the next Motorstorm/Wipeout with Firesprite, etc. The other team could be more on charge of the design, story, etc. and Bluepoint would be on charge of a good chunk of its art and tech content and implementation.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Im thinking another year is gonna go and Sony is not gonna acquire any more well known studios or publisher.

They might get a mobile studio or even a studio like Ember Labs or something.
Publisher…. lol nah, more big studios, I don't think so.
I think Bungie was there big move

Tbh with there purchases the last few years I wouldnt complain, Insomniac, BluePoint, HouseMarque, Bungie etc all amazing buys.

But I only complain because the industry has changed quickly and they are gonna need to do more than before And faster.
Companies are snatching up Studios, Ip’s and Publishers like its a snack. Sony the industry leader needs to be just as aggressive now.

They are gonna need to do a little more than just buy Square now in my opinion. Especially since Square has lost Ip’s like Tomb Raider, Hitman, Dues Ex, Legacy of Kain. Yeah they werent doing well where they were but each of them has big potential under a good studio

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Im thinking another year is gonna go and Sony is not gonna acquire any more well known studios or publisher.

They might get a mobile studio or even a studio like Ember Labs or something.
Publisher…. lol nah, more big studios, I don't think so.
I think Bungie was there big move

Tbh with there purchases the last few years I wouldnt complain, Insomniac, BluePoint, HouseMarque, Bungie etc all amazing buys.

But I only complain because the industry has changed quickly and they are gonna need to do more than before And faster.
Companies are snatching up Studios, Ip’s and Publishers like its a snack. Sony the industry leader needs to be just as aggressive now.

They are gonna need to do a little more than just buy Square now in my opinion. Especially since Square has lost Ip’s like Tomb Raider, Hitman, Dues Ex, Legacy of Kain. Yeah they werent doing well where they were but each of them has big potential under a good studio
I think Sony was reported to have around 10 billion left in their acquisition budget to play with from last year. They could pick up a publisher, it's just a matter of will they and if so, who. Their issue is that they are very slow to react to changes in the market. I'm just hoping that it's not too late by the time they decide they need to act.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I think Sony was reported to have around 10 billion left in their acquisition budget to play with from last year. They could pick up a publisher, it's just a matter of will they and if so, who. Their issue is that they are very slow to react to changes in the market. I'm just hoping that it's not too late by the time they decide they need to act.
I think this activsion deal is messing with sonys announcements.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Yeah, didnt that 10Billi get an increase? And if they dont use it will still be usable next year or so?

10Billion on acquisitions alone is great. Warner, Square, Sega, Konami IP, Koei Tecmo etc all under 10b and probably can acquire 2 at a push with a couple more billion lol.

But they havent spent it and I have a feeling there not gonna do anything bigger than Bungie

Hopefully they will react faster and actually do something like a publisher

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Yeah, didnt that 10Billi get an increase? And if they dont use it will still be usable next year or so?

10Billion on acquisitions alone is great. Warner, Square, Sega, Konami IP, Koei Tecmo etc all under 10b and probably can acquire 2 at a push with a couple more billion lol.

But they havent spent it and I have a feeling there not gonna do anything bigger than Bungie

Hopefully they will react faster and actually do something like a publisher
If Xbox keeps getting bigger they're going to need to do something bigger than Bungie. I've also heard that their business credit is excellent and they could get loans for acquisitions if it comes to that.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
PLaystation is one of, if not the most, profitable divisions of the entire company. Surely after the Bethesda and Activsion announcements sony is deeply concerned about all of this consolidation from microsoft and to a lesser extent tencent. I know they havent made any significant moves lately but its hard for me to believe they are just sitting around twiddling their thumbs waiting to see who gets bought next. I could be wrong though.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
If Xbox keeps getting bigger they're going to need to do something bigger than Bungie. I've also heard that their business credit is excellent and they could get loans for acquisitions if it comes to that.
I think with the Bethesda and Activision moves, Sony should already been in the process of making the bigger moves now. If they are waiting for MS to do more it might be too late.

Yeah Im sure they can borrow a bit more if they need but they actually need to spend a bit of it first lol. Probably have to wait till Activision results

PLaystation is one of, if not the most, profitable divisions of the entire company. Surely after the Bethesda and Activsion announcements sony is deeply concerned about all of this consolidation from microsoft and to a lesser extent tencent. I know they havent made any significant moves lately but its hard for me to believe they are just sitting around twiddling their thumbs waiting to see who gets bought next. I could be wrong though.

Agreed. Lets hope they are pulling a few master plans while we all speculate.

I hope the gloves are already off, and Sony isnt waiting for another publisher/Ip to get purchased To make their next moves

Reactions: Dabaus

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I think with the Bethesda and Activision moves, Sony should already been in the process of making the bigger moves now. If they are waiting for MS to do more it might be too late.

Yeah Im sure they can borrow a bit more if they need but they actually need to spend a bit of it first lol. Probably have to wait till Activision results

Agreed. Lets hope they are pulling a few master plans while we all speculate.

I hope the gloves are already off, and Sony isnt waiting for another publisher/Ip to get purchased To make their next moves
I think they can do alot without an outargagous budget. For example if i were them this is what i would do:

-Invest a billion or 2 into square enix to have whatever stock percentage that would get (25% or so). No need to own them but nice to take them off the market.

-Continue to invest in Kadokawa/From soft, probably another 50-100 Million dollars.

-Continue to invest in Epic games, Say another billion or whatever it takes to get to 10 percent. 10 percent being completely arbitrary but its a nice round number to me

-Continue to invest in bungie building them to 3 teams at least. (Relatively not that expensive)

-Continue to acquire smaller second party studios. (Relatively not that expensive again)

-I could realistically see Krafton (PUBG and Callisto Protocol) as potential target. (Assuming theyre not already owned by tencent)

-Big move would be invest alot of money into EA and/or capcom.

Outside of the last two, all of that could be done for less than 10 billion IMO. Which isnt bad consider MS is spending close to 100 billion.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I think they can do alot without an outargagous budget. For example if i were them this is what i would do:

-Invest a billion or 2 into square enix to have whatever stock percentage that would get (25% or so). No need to own them but nice to take them off the market.

-Continue to invest in Kadokawa/From soft, probably another 50-100 Million dollars.

-Continue to invest in Epic games, Say another billion or whatever it takes to get to 10 percent. 10 percent being completely arbitrary but its a nice round number to me

-Continue to invest in bungie building them to 3 teams at least. (Relatively not that expensive)

-Continue to acquire smaller second party studios. (Relatively not that expensive again)

-I could realistically see Krafton (PUBG and Callisto Protocol) as potential target. (Assuming theyre not already owned by tencent)

-Big move would be invest alot of money into EA and/or capcom.

Outside of the last two, all of that could be done for less than 10 billion IMO. Which isnt bad consider MS is spending close to 100 billion.

For sure, all good choices. That would be smart too.

I hope they just go all out with FromSoft tbh, why tip toe around it. But investing as much as they can would be an option.
They would of saved alot of money if they done it before Elden Ring.

They have a habit of letting some good studios they work with go, even after making a few exclusives together. I know people hate on Quantic Dreams or SuperMassive but Until Dawn and Detroit were Good games and helped PS4 with exclusives at the time.

Hopefully they buy or invest in the Kena, Sifu and Stray studios too.

Reactions: Dabaus

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
I think CDPR working on Witcher 4, Witcher Remake, Cyberpunk Sequel, New IP, is a big thing.

Sony should try to acquire them Sony lacks any classical western RPG and the whole market is pretty much dominated by Xbox, Sony needs to buy CDPR & solve the WRPG crisis
I've been thinking the exact same thing.

Reactions: Puff