Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I wonder if Shift Up would be an option for Playstation if Stellar Blade does well. They would also get some decently successful mobile games out of the deal as well.

Reactions: Puff and SSfox
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I wonder if Shift Up would be an option for Playstation if Stellar Blade does well. They would also get some decently successful mobile games out of the deal as well.
Not sure after they sold 20% of their shares to Tencent.

More interesting right now is Cygames. Granblue Fantasy Relink looks very promising. I could see Sony buying them out plus the Granblue Fantasy IP. Their mobile game makes also money.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

More interesting right now is Cygames. Granblue Fantasy Relink looks very promising. I could see Sony buying them out plus the Granblue Fantasy IP. Their mobile game makes also money.
I think it would still technically be possible to buy it since they don't totally own it, though it would probably be a situation where a majority of the current stakeholders have to approve of the deal.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Shift Up is South Korean, do they still have laws regarding Japanese companies buying/investing in SK ones? (and is Sony considered Japanese or American now, legally?)

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Shift Up is South Korean, do they still have laws regarding Japanese companies buying/investing in SK ones? (and is Sony considered Japanese or American now, legally?)
There a no such laws in Korea. Everyone can buy who is interested. Japan is special, they heavily strict foreigners.

Sony is Japanese, no matter where their Playstation headquarters are geographically located.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Playstation is headquartered in California, but Sony itself is Japanese and headquartered in Japan.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sony always has been a Japanese company. In the case of SIE, they have two HQ now: Japan and USA. The global SIE HQ now is the USA one. But SIE is a Sony subsidiary (with their main HQ in Japan) so I assume it counts as Japanese for these kind of regulations.

I know there's a related regulation in Japan to avoid/difficult/overtivew some key local companies that could be acquired by dirty gaijins (foreigners), but I don't know if SK has a similar one.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I also forgot that SIE doesn’t have an own balance sheet. Their results are consolidated with Sony Group Corp. So it’s pretty much does count as Japanese company. Even if the PS HQ is in California.

• Informative
Reactions: AshHunter216

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

Pretty sure cygames has a large percentage owned by Nintendo believe it or not

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Nah only 5%. Owner is CyberAgent with 69 percentage.

I wonder how long Nintendo will keep those shares, now that they've pulled back from mobile (Dragalia Lost actually shut down a month ago.) I'm not saying it will happen any time soon but if the big N ever needs some money I don't think they have an interest in Cygames' future anymore beyond the purely financial one.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I wonder how long Nintendo will keep those shares, now that they've pulled back from mobile (Dragalia Lost actually shut down a month ago.) I'm not saying it will happen any time soon but if the big N ever needs some money I don't think they have an interest in Cygames' future anymore beyond the purely financial one.
All future and big Games of Cygames are Playstation exclusive. Granblue Relink Versus, Granblue Fantasy Relink and Project Awakening. It’s just a guess but I wouldn’t wonder if Sony approached CyberAgent in the future because of a possible acquisition for Cygames.

Reactions: Doncortez77

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
All future and big Games of Cygames are Playstation exclusive. Granblue Relink Versus, Granblue Fantasy Relink and Project Awakening. It’s just a guess but I wouldn’t wonder if Sony approached CyberAgent in the future because of a possible acquisition for Cygames.
Money-wise their biggest games are still probably on mobile. Lets wait to see those games actually come out and sell before we declare them the company's future.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
CyGames also has that 3 ways deal with Sony and Kadokawa, where Kadokawa gave 2% of their stocks to cygames and 2% to Sony in exchange for helping Kadokawa in different things (mobile games Cygames, console games and anime Sony).

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Amazon bought only the IP for 600k Dollar!
Embracer bought 3 big studios and 50 IPs for 300 Million Dollar! I told it’s way to fishy and so cheap for a deal. This raises my confidence that Sony really will acquire Square Enix in full. Remember when Eidos founder told us in 2022, that Sony is only interested in Japanese Square Enix!

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Amazon bought only the IP for 600k Dollar!
Embracer bought 3 big studios and 50 IPs for 300 Million Dollar! I told it’s way to fishy and so cheap for a deal. This raises my confidence that Sony really will acquire Square Enix in full. Remember when Eidos founder told us in 2022, that Sony is only interested in Japanese Square Enix!

Did you read the article? It says that a Lord of the Rings fansite says that Embracer is in the process of selling the IP to Amazon, not that it was sold seperately. The price rumored is 600 million (probably US dollars.)

All this says to me is that S-E leadership didn't know what it had with its western portion.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Did you read the article? It says that a Lord of the Rings fansite says that Embracer is in the process of selling the IP to Amazon, not that it was sold seperately. The price rumored is 600 million (probably US dollars.)

All this says to me is that S-E leadership didn't know what it had with its western portion.
sorry, but they totally idiots running that company. Tomb Raider is well known IP through whole world. it is legendary IP. sell it for peanuts, wtf.
it is like Uncharted is sold for 50M.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings