Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
sorry, but they totally idiots running that company. Tomb Raider is well known IP through whole world. it is legendary IP. sell it for peanuts, wtf.
it is like Uncharted is sold for 50M.
To be honest, Amazon, if it actually builds a gaming presence, is probably actually a really good home for Tomb Raider. The series has a massively under-used non-games side that they can take advantage of. And the actual creators at CORE are long gone now, you aren't selling anyone's baby away.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
To be honest, Amazon, if it actually builds a gaming presence, is probably actually a really good home for Tomb Raider. The series has a massively under-used non-games side that they can take advantage of. And the actual creators at CORE are long gone now, you aren't selling anyone's baby away.
amazon is pretty good. i hope we gonna get something good at Expanse level.

Reactions: arvfab
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Did you read the article? It says that a Lord of the Rings fansite says that Embracer is in the process of selling the IP to Amazon, not that it was sold seperately. The price rumored is 600 million (probably US dollars.)

All this says to me is that S-E leadership didn't know what it had with its western portion.
Dude they are talking about Tomb Raider. Of course I have read the article. Pretty rude.

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
amazon is pretty good. i hope we gonna get something good at Expanse level.
Idk about Amazon being good. Remember what happened to Crucible? The only successful game Amazon has is Lost Ark imo. Unless I am missing other games? That's the only thing that I can remember.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Idk about Amazon being good. Remember what happened to Crucible? The only successful game Amazon has is Lost Ark imo. Unless I am missing other games? That's the only thing that I can remember.
we speaking about Series. games is nothing to do with it.
don't you know Expanse? 😲
how it is worded, it looks like sold TV and Movie rights, not gaming rights.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It doesn't really matter if Axios is correct though since they only brought film/tv rights. They'll make a show and that will probably be it. To be honest, Amazon way overpayed if this is just tv and film. Tomb Raider movies are fun and popular but I feel like they have a ceiling that LotR doesn't.

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
we speaking about Series. games is nothing to do with it.
don't you know Expanse? 😲
how it is worded, it looks like sold TV and Movie rights, not gaming rights.
Oh. I don't watch Amazon series stuff so I wouldn't know. Not a big tv/show guy lol.

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
oh, okey. it is 8.5 on imdb. great series. they have many good series like Jack Reacher..
The last thing ive watched and ended up binging, even though I normally never do so is Squid Game lol. An extreme rare occurrence for me.

Back on topic - Idk if I am happy with Amazon purchasing Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider was always a PS thing back in the day. Lara Croft was like a mascot for the ps1 days.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The last thing ive watched and ended up binging, even though I normally never do so is Squid Game lol. An extreme rare occurrence for me.

Back on topic - Idk if I am happy with Amazon purchasing Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider was always a PS thing back in the day. Lara Croft was like a mascot for the ps1 days.
Netflix.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
oh, okey. it is 8.5 on imdb. great series. they have many good series like Jack Reacher..
Enjoyed Peaky blinders on Amazon, the boys is good, Happy valley and Top of the lake.

I think I watched those all on Amazon.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

It looks sony may have on the downlow acquired ballistic moon. The theory being that they are listed in a hiring add that only includes other first parties.

I wonder if sony has also acquired anyone else behind the scenes?

Reactions: EDMIX

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Enjoyed Peaky blinders on Amazon, the boys is good, Happy valley and Top of the lake.

I think I watched those all on Amazon.
I started watching Rogue Heroes on Amazon and this is pretty great as well, no clue what the IMDB score it, don't care.

• Informative
Reactions: Sircaw

EDMIX

It looks sony may have on the downlow acquired ballistic moon. The theory being that they are listed in a hiring add that only includes other first parties.

I wonder if sony has also acquired anyone else behind the scenes?

It could be, they have been known to make purchases and announce later on when it makes sense to reveal the buy, like what we saw with BluePoint Games.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Reactions: EDMIX

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The posts you linked are only speculation, and some of it is off base. I don't know if they were acquired or not but your posts are far from proof that they weren't.
Doesn't mean anything. Let's not forget Bluepoint games. Who knows the reality.
They are facts, of course they mean something.

With the facts we have is a '2nd party' 'partner' with several former Supermassive devs who is working on an Unreal Engine 5 game to be published by Sony, so it's a 2nd party game, codenamed Project Bates, since 2019. Sony replaced a list of 'partner' studios where they had some 1st party studios and Ballistic Moon with a text mentioning '1st and 2nd party', which means they continue being 2nd party.

It is also a fact that the supposed crappy 'leaked' table is full of wrong and fake data, including the game engine, codename of this project, plus the data of when XDEV started to work on the project (according to the table late 2021, according to Ballistic Moon statements and LinkedIn profiles, early 2019).

There is not a single fact to back the speculation that they have been acquired.

• haha
Reactions: Darth Vader