Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Bro how about you avoid this toxic Xbox clout chasers on Twitter? I muted this clowns a long time ago. It’s better than getting all worked up because of their blatant nonsense. Maybe a break could helped to relax a bit. Don’t believe what this corporate slaves do mumble.
You’re right a break could do me well. I just want to express that I think this past week has been an escalation that no one could’ve seen coming. Microsoft using the us government to brute force their way into japan is honestly a bigger deal than this activision deal is.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Imagine Square or Capcom bought by Microsoft and future FF, Dragon Quest, KH, Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, Resident evil games not on PlayStation. That’s a death sentence for PlayStation

I swear I’m sell my PS5 and get a Xbox

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Imagine Square or Capcom bought by Microsoft and future FF, Dragon Quest, KH, Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, Resident evil games not on PlayStation. That’s a death sentence for PlayStation

We all know if Square Enix is going to be bought, it’s Sony who will. Remember guys what Shuhei Yoshida said last year.

Capcom will likely also never sell to Microsoft. It Would be the same as suicide for Capcom.
See why:

Last edited:
Reactions: Yurinka and Puff

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022

Imagine Sony bought EA and Nintendo

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

Blame shuhei yoshida, Jim Ryan, Shawn layden and Sony ceos kaz hirai and the current one who said consoles “niche.” Depending on third parties for money is part of the reason Sony is fighting so hard to block this deal. I genuinely can’t believe Sony leadership never saw this day coming.

Reactions: Puff

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Imagine Sony bought EA and Nintendo
You fuckers making me do yen to dollar exchange rate calculations...

Sony market cap: 110.49 billion USD
Nintendo market cap: 50.01 billion USD (in yen)

Yeah, they'd have to sell the farm to do it, not really possible.

(edit: And, fwiw, based on Japan nixxing the Bandai/Nintendo merger 20 years ago, it certainly wouldn't pass muster there or, since they are two of only three console manufacturers probably anywhere but China.)

• brain
Reactions: Puff

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Xb
It would just destroy SE and Capcom sales if games were not released on PlayStation.

Now imagine if Sony bought Capcom and removed their games from Xbox. The stronger market push from Sony would probably make up for most of the lost sales on Xbox. It's definitely a viable defensive move for Sony that would leverage their market share advantage and the fact that Xbox is dead in Japan. It's a much better long term strategy than just moneyhats and it would also work even without them fully taking over, the big risk here is Sony bringing Nintendo into it, but it would serve Nintendo well for supporting MS consolidation efforts.

Buying the console gaming part of Konami along with some of their key IPs is one of the most underrated moves available due to how much Konami management sucks.

Last edited:

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
With 5.1B left we can at the very very least expect Sony to spend a 3rd of that on the PlayStation division by March 2024. I suspect they will spend more though.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
With 5.1B left we can at the very very least expect Sony to spend a 3rd of that on the PlayStation division by March 2024. I suspect they will spend more though.
It was also mentioned in their reports that they could receive more money before 2024 if it was determined that the situation called for it. There's also the fact that they could get a loan for an acquisition if the situation was really dire.

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023

This is what I think about and worry about the most. Honestly I dont think the JFTC will do anything. Playstation better hurry up and buy Square & capcom before MS thinks of it, i dont want FF or Resi to be Xbox exclusive.

I dont trust the Japan government!

Last edited:
  • angry
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
People are really panicking... Everyone needs to remember if the Activision deal goes through MS will only be allowed to buy small studios.
Also people need to know history, until some time ago, Sony was in dire situation, they had to sell off their PC division, cut down on their phones etc. Playstation was the only thing making the company staying floating. Of course they could not buy studios then but they are doing it now.

Last edited:

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
People are really panicking... Everyone needs to remember if the Activision deal goes through MS will only be allowed to buy small studios.
Also people need to know history, until some time ago, Sony was in dire situation, they had to sell off their PC division, cut down on their phones etc. Playstation was the only thing making the company staying floating. Of course they could not buy studios then but they are doing it now.
And how do you know that? We all have no clue how regulators are going to respond if MS buys more publishers after the ABK deal gets passed.

Reactions: Dabaus

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
And how do you know that? We all have no clue how regulators are going to respond if MS buys more publishers after the ABK deal gets passed.
I am pretty sure MS cannot buy, there are rules about that type of deals, I am not an expert on this, hopefully someone with better expertise can explain.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I am pretty sure MS cannot buy, there are rules about that type of deals, I am not an expert on this, hopefully someone with better expertise can explain.
If the deal does go through (or even if it doesn't) that doesn't put any sort of "this was the last one" limit on them, especially for small devs. What does, though, is the general feeling among tech companies, even in the gaming sector, that we are in for a rough few years and that now is more a time to cut than a time to buy.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
If the deal does go through (or even if it doesn't) that doesn't put any sort of "this was the last one" limit on them, especially for small devs. What does, though, is the general feeling among tech companies, even in the gaming sector, that we are in for a rough few years and that now is more a time to cut than a time to buy.
Sigh that’s what I was saying, MS will not buy more big publishers, because it will come into huge scrutiny. Buying smaller studios is the only thing they can do.

Everyone is going paranoid but we do not even know if Xbox can manage that many studios. For the looks of it - tons of people leaving, mismanaging of projects and too many huge teams to communicate with, I wonder if MS will even want to continue buying studios.
They got themselves into a mess that cannot handle, they lack experience.

Reactions: Deleted member 417