Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Yeah it was. Conversation of of abk starts around 2 hours and they talk about what Sonys response could be. Colin made a great point that Sony kind of walks away with a lot even if they lose abk. They’re guaranteed 10 years, forced Microsoft to port it to switch for 10 years which will mess up development of cod, and by making such a huge stink about it Microsoft would probably be in the crosshairs if another acquisition is announced soon.

He did say he doesn’t think this investigation of the jftc will go anywhere. That’s all his opinion though.

Speaking of, I saw the Xbots at reee mocking this article but it does bring up good points. I do think it’s a riff on what Colin brought up but for some reason leaves out cod is teathered to the switch for 10 years:
I can appreciate Sony's effort to be a thorn in Microsoft's side during this whole ordeal, though they definitely need to be looking to make some moves of their own in order to protect themselves against whatever Microsoft does next.

Era would have zero right to complain if Sony bought Square for example.

Reactions: Puff

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Yeah it was. Conversation of of abk starts around 2 hours and they talk about what Sonys response could be. Colin made a great point that Sony kind of walks away with a lot even if they lose abk. They’re guaranteed 10 years, forced Microsoft to port it to switch for 10 years which will mess up development of cod, and by making such a huge stink about it Microsoft would probably be in the crosshairs if another acquisition is announced soon.

He did say he doesn’t think this investigation of the jftc will go anywhere. That’s all his opinion though.

Speaking of, I saw the Xbots at reee mocking this article but it does bring up good points. I do think it’s a riff on what Colin brought up but for some reason leaves out cod is teathered to the switch for 10 years:
This is his public one and not the patreon podcast, right?

edit: Oh, they're all Patreon...
edit 2: No, wait, there it is. Talk starts at 1:59.
edit 3: He talks briefly about Sony buying Tencent. Tencent has 4 times Sony's value... Little disappointed here.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

How it is great point? You basically ignoring their all history and reserve your judgement as xbox are better? Those deals are just trojan horse. No chance they are keeping those contracts. They will break those contracts, pay the fines and move on. They did that multiple times, time and time again. Their all company build on anti competitive practises and destroying competition to make a monopoly.

It is like ignoring nature and ask Lion don't eat you while he is starving..

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022

That article from metro is just clickbait, would not read too much into it.
In my opinion abk total ip content is essential to sie business so sie losing them will hurt sie overall, wont kill em but certainly will hurt. Regulators disagree and its literally because of how successful the sie business is which is insane.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
In my opinion abk total ip content is essential to sie business so sie losing them will hurt sie overall, wont kill em but certainly will hurt. Regulators disagree and its literally because of how successful the sie business is which is insane.
Explain how its clickbait.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
ABK sales are a very small portion of the PS game sales and there are many similar top IPs covering their niches. The yearly revenue that ABK provides to Sony is smaller than the multiyear growth that SIE has. They aren't essential at all.

P

peter42O

Colin is wrong on two counts - first, Sony isn't guaranteed to get COD for a decade due to the fact that they haven't signed the legally binding contract yet and it remains to be seen if regulators force that in their final decision. Second, in regards to Nintendo, Switch was never mentioned. Only Nintendo was, meaning their next generation console which im pretty sure Microsoft knows the specifications of that console and what it's going to be. As long as it's equal specification wise to the Xbox Series S which I do believe that it will be, I don't see why they would have any issues porting the game to Nintendo's next console.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Colin is wrong on two counts - first, Sony isn't guaranteed to get COD for a decade due to the fact that they haven't signed the legally binding contract yet and it remains to be seen if regulators force that in their final decision. Second, in regards to Nintendo, Switch was never mentioned. Only Nintendo was, meaning their next generation console which im pretty sure Microsoft knows the specifications of that console and what it's going to be. As long as it's equal specification wise to the Xbox Series S which I do believe that it will be, I don't see why they would have any issues porting the game to Nintendo's next console.
If you think its going to be equal to Series S then you're going to be very disappointed when it comes out and is more in line with One S. Thats me, as a Nintendo fan, saying that unjokingly. There's just no getting around it for cost and battery-life.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
ABK sales are a very small portion of the PS game sales and there are many similar top IPs covering their niches. The yearly revenue that ABK provides to Sony is smaller than the multiyear growth that SIE has. They aren't essential at all.
Sie and every one at sony literally says otherwise, but i geuess you know mre than the folks at sony saying they are essential.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Sie and every one at sony literally says otherwise, but i geuess you know mre than the folks at sony saying they are essential.
I'd say he does. You could literally take the sales number of the average CoD title, subtract it from the Playstation ecosystem and add it to Xbox's and Playstation would still be bigger. Its one fucking franchise, its not actually make or break.

• they're_right_you_know

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sony is lying to try to get the deal blocked, it's pretty obvious, just as MS lies to try and get it approved. They don't actually believe CoD is that important. No one game is that important.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
This is his public one and not the patreon podcast, right?

edit: Oh, they're all Patreon...
edit 2: No, wait, there it is. Talk starts at 1:59.
edit 3: He talks briefly about Sony buying Tencent. Tencent has 4 times Sony's value... Little disappointed here.

I don't remember him saying Sony would buy Tencent, I certainly don't think it would have been his intention to say that.

His major point is that Sony should go for one of the 4 main Japanese pubs... Namco, Square, Capcom, Sega or maybe even Koei Tecmo (I know that is 5)

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I'd like to add that I think most PS fans are on the same page as Colin and that if Sony DO NOT buy a publisher of at least medium size soon, I would be questioning their competence and longterm dedication to gaming.
Absolutely.

• Shake
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I'd like to add that I think most PS fans are on the same page as Colin and that if Sony DO NOT buy a publisher of at least medium size soon, I would be questioning their competence and longterm dedication to gaming.
Honestly Square Enix is very likely to happen. Remember when Shu said that Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are important for Sony. I think after ABK gets approved and things have cooled down, Sony will announce Square Enix.

Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Honestly Square Enix is very likely to happen. Remember when Shu said that Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are important for Sony. I think after ABK gets approved and things have cooled down, Sony will announce Square Enix.

Capcom is more important as an acquisition due to the risk of someone else buying them.

I'd recommend a full Capcom buyout and 50% Square or so.

Reactions: Dabaus and Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It puts in question how committed to PlayStation Sony is, specially now that all they have announced for their first party studios are two Imnsoniac Marvel games.

In the last 10 years this has been the period of most uncertainty for a PS fan. Too much talk about GaaS, services, PC, mobile, TV and very few games shown/announced.

Capcom is more important as an acquisition due to the risk of someone else buying them.

I'd recommend a full Capcom buyout and 50% Square or so.
Square is the one they need to control since they are under terrible leadership and chasing stupid trends. Just buying significant shares in Capcom to fend off a future MS acquisition attempt is enougth (might be enougth for SE as well).

FromSoftware acquisition (including a big investment on the studio) and big stakes in SE, Capcom and Sega (as well as deals for specific games like Persona and Yakuza). With that done it doesn't matter what MS does the future of PlayStation would be secure.

If MS is willing to invest $80B on their gaming division yet Sony can't come up with $20B to secure their dominant position then they deserve what is coming for them.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75 and Dabaus
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Shares didn’t work out for Sony. Remember guys Sony had a big stake in Square Enix, 20% and it still didn’t help them at all. Yoichi Wada canceled the long awaited PS3 exclusive Final Fantasy Versus XIII. This game was so hyped (till today) and Wada still broke the contract. KH3 was also planned as an PS3 exclusive but nonWada wanted it to be appealing to western audiences (Xbox).

This bad management is which has screwed Square Enix since merger. Sony needs to acquire them in full. Square Enix is cheap right now and very affordable. Don’t forget if FF16, KH IV and Dragon Quest 12 become a success (even as PS5 exclusive) they could become cocky again and maybe betray Sony again like Wada did. Don’t forget that Square Enix would be an acquisition of which the whole Sony corporation would profit on: Sony Pictures and Music (Square Enix‘s Manga publishing label Gangan Comics) for anime production. Mobile games for their mobile gaming push. GaaS with FF14 and the successor. Also they would get the one of the best toy maker in Japan: Taito. Nice bonus for merchandising. Before someone mentions FromSoftware: Sony could only buy shares because Kadokawa doesn’t want to sell them.

As for Capcom goes: they are secure. Just buy a controlling stake like 33%, so nobody can acquire them. And then in the future they can acquire them in full.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75 and Dabaus

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Shares didn’t work out for Sony. Remember guys Sony had a big stake in Square Enix, 20% and it still didn’t help them at all. Yoichi Wada canceled the long awaited PS3 exclusive Final Fantasy Versus XIII. This game was so hyped (till today) and Wada still broke the contract. KH3 was also planned as an PS3 exclusive but nonWada wanted it to be appealing to western audiences (Xbox).

This bad management is which has screwed Square Enix since merger. Sony needs to acquire them in full. Square Enix is cheap right now and very affordable. Don’t forget if FF16, KH IV and Dragon Quest 12 become a success (even as PS5 exclusive) they could become cocky again and maybe betray Sony again like Wada did. Don’t forget that Square Enix would be an acquisition of which the whole Sony corporation would profit on: Sony Pictures and Music (Square Enix‘s Manga publishing label Gangan Comics) for anime production. Mobile games for their mobile gaming push. GaaS with FF14 and the successor. Also they would get the one of the best toy maker in Japan: Taito. Nice bonus for merchandising. Before someone mentions FromSoftware: Sony could only buy shares because Kadokawa doesn’t want to sell them.

As for Capcom goes: they are secure. Just buy a controlling stake like 33%, so nobody can acquire them. And then in the future they can acquire them in full.
The shares didn't help because Sony sold them. If Sony still had 20% every deal with SE would cost them less (just by virtue of owning 1/5 of the company), that by itself would be a big competitive advantage.