Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Hasta La Vista Xbox Fans, they can stop know dreaming about Microsoft buying Sega.

That actually sucks for Sega. Rovio is a pos that hasn't made a good game in years Have any of you actually tried playing the current version of Angry Birds? Its dogshit, loaded to the brim with MTX and the original games are all delisted (except the one forced to remain up on Apple Arcade due to a contract with Apple.) And I think their value has been declining for a long while too, now, because of it.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
While I would definitely prefer Sega stay independent, how does this move imply that they won't be bought?
Because if they were about to be bought they wouldn’t buy an entire company for $1 Billion. They also acquired a Japanese Basketball team last year. This clearly shows Sega is not interested in selling.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Because if they were about to be bought they wouldn’t buy an entire company for $1 Billion. They also acquired a Japanese Basketball team last year. This clearly shows Sega is not interested in selling.
Interesting, I didn't know about the basketball team. yeah, would be weird of Microsoft to acquire all this random stuff that they couldn't use.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Hasta La Vista Xbox Fans, they can stop know dreaming about Microsoft buying Sega.

I actually disagree. Microsoft clearly wants to go mobile, I think if anything that incentivizes a sega purchase. With that said, what does sega even make that PlayStation owners actually care about? The yakuza director left and has his own studio and I’m sure his new game will be in that same vein. Sonic? Maybe. What else do they have?
Persona obviously.

So say Microsoft does go through with a sega purchase. They’re already going to be looked at extremely negatively by their board because Xbox is currently losing ground in America and the uk even worse than the Xbox one. Red fall and starfield will probably underperform as will whatever undercooked games they’ll put out. They’ve already spent 80 billion plus on acquisitions and I’m sure sega would add another 8-10 to even agree. That’s a lot of money to spend to be doing worse than you were at your lowest point. All of these sega games will probably have to stay multiplatform for sega to even agree with a purchase.

Then in typical Microsoft management fashion, guaranteed some of the lead devs from persona would leave and do their own thing. Isn’t that kind of what people would want? The persona team separated from sega? Sure it would take time to rebuild and make something new but I’d say that’s a good thing for Sony.

Of all the publishers Microsoft could go after sega is a best case scenario for Sony imo. It wouldn’t be much of a loss (IMO) and it’d definitely be too close to home for Sony to just sit idly by. They’d for sure acquire capcom or a square in response and that’s assuming Sony wouldn’t do anything post Activision deal, which is absurd to assume.

Reactions: VillaiN
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I actually disagree. Microsoft clearly wants to go mobile, I think if anything that incentivizes a sega purchase. With that said, what does sega even make that PlayStation owners actually care about? The yakuza director left and has his own studio and I’m sure his new game will be in that same vein. Sonic? Maybe. What else do they have?
Persona obviously.

So say Microsoft does go through with a sega purchase. They’re already going to be looked at extremely negatively by their board because Xbox is currently losing ground in America and the uk even worse than the Xbox one. Red fall and starfield will probably underperform as will whatever undercooked games they’ll put out. They’ve already spent 80 billion plus on acquisitions and I’m sure sega would add another 8-10 to even agree. That’s a lot of money to spend to be doing worse than you were at your lowest point. All of these sega games will probably have to stay multiplatform for sega to even agree with a purchase.

Then in typical Microsoft management fashion, guaranteed some of the lead devs from persona would leave and do their own thing. Isn’t that kind of what people would want? The persona team separated from sega? Sure it would take time to rebuild and make something new but I’d say that’s a good thing for Sony.

Of all the publishers Microsoft could go after sega is a best case scenario for Sony imo. It wouldn’t be much of a loss (IMO) and it’d definitely be too close to home for Sony to just sit idly by. They’d for sure acquire capcom or a square in response and that’s assuming Sony wouldn’t do anything post Activision deal, which is absurd to assume.
I think Sony and Nintendo would pretty hard fire against Microsoft. Honestly Microsoft shouldn’t be allowed to get any further big gaming company after ABK. They got so hard scrutinised for it, that I highly doubt they will get approved another publisher. Sammy Sega is more than just games: They engage in sports (owning a Japanese basketball team) and such bought sports halls. They also bought resorts and are planing in entering Pachinko (Gambling). This so utter Xbox fanboys bogus, to think some lowly politicians could interfere in economy of a foreign country. If Sega Sammy Group doesn’t want to sell, then Microsoft can do shit about it. This applies by the way for all other gaming companies too.

Reactions: TigerFang

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I think Sony and Nintendo would pretty hard fire against Microsoft. Honestly Microsoft shouldn’t be allowed to get any further big gaming company after ABK. They got so hard scrutinised for it, that I highly doubt they will get approved another publisher. Sammy Sega is more than just games: They engage in sports (owning a Japanese basketball team) and such bought sports halls. They also bought resorts and are planing in entering Pachinko (Gambling). This so utter Xbox fanboys bogus, to think some lowly politicians could interfere in economy of a foreign country. If Sega Sammy Group doesn’t want to sell, then Microsoft can do shit about it. This applies by the way for all other gaming companies too.
I see where you’re coming from. I think the Xbox division is going to be under a microscope from Microsofts board after spending 80 billion dollars and still doing worse than the Xbox one but what do I know?I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re getting outsold 3 or 4 to 1 in the US right now.

• fire

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Persona obviously.

For me personally, I would miss Persona and any other Atlus game, as they are supposedly working on a fantasy RPG as well. I would also miss Yakuza being on Playstation and Sega also owns the studio that made the excellent Alien Isolation horror game.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Timdog saying if ABK goes through he thinks MSFT will be more aggressive in the short term because if they gain any market share it's less likely to be allowed in future....

These fucks never stop.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
How would Microsoft hide from regulators the money activsion blizzard brings in? Cod taking a year off? That seems more risky for cod being usurped by a new game.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Was just taking a gander at a few of the publishers financials, the ones we often discuss here...

I think from a purely financial point of view Square Enix is actually a really good choice. around 3 billion in revenue annually and between 200 to 400 million net income annually.

Whereas you could spend several times that amount for TakeTwo and their revenue is only 3-4 billion annually and generally also around 400 million profit annually.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I'm curious as to what Sony's response to that senator will be. It's clear MS are attacking Sony on two fronts now through acquisitions taking away their access to key 3rd party franchises and by attempting to use their government lobbying to prevent Sony from being able to respond to their moves in any way, whether through more timed deals or acquisitions of their own. My hope is that they call MS out for these tactics.