Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
What do you mean if they do not buy a publisher?

Despite the sales and momentum off PS4's and Cerny's backs, Kordera/Ryan era PS5 has been a rolling shit show of missed opportunities and egg on face-style gaffs.

I agree with much of that sentiment... marketing and PR has been awful IMO and there has been no understanding of the PS audience that has been cultivated over almost 30 years.

The news that they are still pursuing cloud gaming, the remote play handheld, the GAAS, the lack of response to big MSFT acquisitions, no showcases, not many big new single player IP's and of course the pointless and potentially damaging PC ports are all my pet peeves that really get my back up....
With a number of smaller things too.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Pfft. Anyone got any sales numbers per franchise? Outsiders perspective but I'd say RE and MH or DMC would be more valuable for PS, from Capcom's stable.
Nope Sales for Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts are much higher than for Capcom‘s franchises. Only exception is probably Monster Hunter which scores really big.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I agree with much of that sentiment... marketing and PR has been awful IMO and there has been no understanding of the PS audience that has been cultivated over almost 30 years.

The news that they are still pursuing cloud gaming, the remote play handheld, the GAAS, the lack of response to big MSFT acquisitions, no showcases, not many big new single player IP's and of course the pointless and potentially damaging PC ports are all my pet peeves that really get my back up....
With a number of smaller things too.
A response to an aquisition doesn't happen overnight unfortunately. Anything Sony does in response to what Microsoft is doing could take at least a year or two as a large acquisition is a slow process with a lot of negotiation. They can't just up and buy Square on Wednesday after hearing about something Microsoft did on Tuesday for example, it's not like Amazon. Hell, I even think them buying Bungie was years in the making.

Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
A response to an aquisition doesn't happen overnight unfortunately. Anything Sony does in response to what Microsoft is doing could take at least a year or two as a large acquisition is a slow process with a lot of negotiation. They can't just up and buy Square on Wednesday after hearing about something Microsoft did on Tuesday for example, it's not like Amazon. Hell, I even think them buying Bungie was years in the making.
I think they are already done with negotiations. They probably were waiting until ABK finishes and things cool down a little bit. Wouldn’t have served their fight against Microsoft, while complaining the entire time about this acquisition. Sony will try to look as small as possible to regulators. Announcing a big deal wouldn’t do them any favour. That’s why we haven’t also seen a PlayStation Showcase for two years. Guys read this, this surely no fluke.

Also don’t forget Square Enix is moving into a new and 4 times bigger HQ close to Sony in Shibuya…
Move is targeted to finish in 2023 November.

Reactions: AshHunter216

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
What do you mean if they do not buy a publisher?

Despite the sales and momentum off PS4's and Cerny's backs, Kordera/Ryan era PS5 has been a rolling shit show of missed opportunities and egg on face-style gaffs.
If XB ever trade up and replace Phill Spencer with Surface team's Panos Panay to reveal future XB devices, we in trouble. The X cult don't need a Jobs figure to rally behind.

Can Sony buy Iron Galaxy, adding another PC port house, but also bringing Adam Boyes back? He'd be better than Ryan even. His era PS was doing the deals with Disney/Lucasarts. "Hulk Smash is right"

• thinking_hard

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Pfft. Anyone got any sales numbers per franchise? Outsiders perspective but I'd say RE and MH or DMC would be more valuable for PS, from Capcom's stable.
DMC struggles to even get games made, FF fucking laps it. Why mention it over Street Fighter? Anyways, while both companies have valuable property, I would argue that S-E both fills a very specific niche that needs filling (appeal to Japan) while also being a lot cheaper. I haven't seen any smoke on Capcom being for sale, but a little bit for S-E.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Sony Account (Not Playstation!) is promoting Final Fantasy. They never do this for 3rd Party games except for 1st Party games. Also to mention not all Sony 1st Party games, only they franchises they value a lot. 👀

I think the announcement is near. ABK is soon cleared then we could maybe expect the announcement in press!

• Shake

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Sony Account (Not Playstation!) is promoting Final Fantasy. They never do this for 3rd Party games except for 1st Party games. Also to mention not all Sony 1st Party games, only they franchises they value a lot. 👀

I think the announcement is near. ABK is soon cleared then we could maybe expect the announcement in press!

It's clear they consider Final Fantasy very important.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

Fun fact: The official sony account also used to promote call of duty. Hopefully theyve learned a lesson or two...

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Fun fact: The official sony account also used to promote call of duty. Hopefully theyve learned a lesson or two...
I think when CMA and EUC will approve ABK (maybe without concessions) then investors will put a lot of pressure on Sony to act. Investors know PlayStation is Sony’s most valuable brand.

Reactions: Dabaus

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I think when CMA and EUC will approve ABK (maybe without concessions) then investors will put a lot of pressure on Sony to act. Investors know PlayStation is Sony’s most valuable brand.
Last year an investor asked Jim when they were going to acquire a Japanese studio or publisher. I forget what he said but at least one investor wants it to happen.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

AB won't be clear for six months or so in the US.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Hasta La Vista Xbox Fans, they can stop know dreaming about Microsoft buying Sega.

Sega be wanting that Mobile money
Show Me The Money GIF