Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
The shares didn't help because Sony sold them. If Sony still had 20% every deal with SE would cost them less (just by virtue of owning 1/5 of the company), that by itself would be a big competitive advantage.
Nothing more than a full buyout now in this climate will suffice. Having shares means nothing if your competition just buys the whole thing anyway.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Nothing more than a full buyout now in this climate will suffice. Having shares means nothing if your competition just buys the whole thing anyway.
Let MS buy SE if they want lmao, it would be worthless under them. This is more about Sony strengthening their partnerships.

Big moves are a necessity but not necessarily Sony assuming control of a bunch of publishers.

CDPR is probably still the best publisher for an outright acquisition.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
If you own enough shares of a company, you could potentially angle to get a seat on that company's board and have a say in who they sell to or whether they sell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nhomnhom
P

peter42O

If you think its going to be equal to Series S then you're going to be very disappointed when it comes out and is more in line with One S. Thats me, as a Nintendo fan, saying that unjokingly. There's just no getting around it for cost and battery-life.

I would be surprised if it's not at least equal to the Series S. Nintendo had a $350 OLED model so non-OLED at $400 but still hybrid and just overall better to get all the third party support day one isn't impossible. Nintendo would still make money on the hardware. But we'll see.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
You have to look at whether or not Capcom are actually interested in selling to anyone.

They must be convinced if not, by Sony, the government or whoever it takes....

Japan as a country will lose a lot economically if PlayStation loses ground.

USA has very little to gain with MSFT buying the industry out...but Japan has a lot to lose.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
They must be convinced if not, by Sony, the government or whoever it takes....

Japan as a country will lose a lot economically if PlayStation loses ground.

USA has very little to gain with MSFT buying the industry out...but Japan has a lot to lose.
If they don't want to sell to anyone and they stay independent, No one loses anything.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
If Capcom doesn't want to sell, MS wouldn't get them either.

If they won't sell, that is great.... but they should not be supporting Xbox anyway.

If Sony can't get them, they need to go after someone else. Namco would be expensive but a powerful move for instance.

• haha
Reactions: Zzero

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Around 2.18 or after Cog already suggesting Microsoft should buy Square....

Things like this make me think Sony needs to buy Square and Capcom immediately.

I mean Cog doesn't even know Zacks name.... FFS

EDIT: At 20.34 or a little after Cog gets VERY excited about the damage it would do to Sony and playstation to take Square away and put it all on gamepass...

This guy is toxic as fuck...he doesnt even play their games.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
More push for Microsoft to buy Square on Resetera... this is disgusting.

View attachment 1002
I swear this Xbots live just to see Sony getting screwed. But thank god reality is different. Japanese government have so strict rules for M&A especially for foreign companies like Microsoft.
They will never permit a hostile takeover, I assure you that. Also this “who bids more” is a Xbox fanboys fantasy. This is not how M&A works in Japan. This guys are the dumbest shills out there. There will be a bad awakening for them when Sony announces the acquisition of Square Enix. If it gets announced, I will spare the time and create an account to troll them with it. xD

Last edited:
  • brain

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I swear this Xbots live just to see Sony getting screwed. But thank god reality is different. Japanese government have so strict rules for M&A especially for foreign companies like Microsoft.
They will never permit a hostile takeover, I assure you that. Also this “who bids more” is a Xbox fanboys fantasy. This is not how M&A works in Japan. This guys are the dumbest shills out there. There will be a bad awakening for them when Sony announces the acquisition of Square Enix. If it gets announced, I will spare the time and create an account to troll them with it. xD

The issue is that it's all so selfish and destructive.... they don't even like the games. It's just like a jealous child.... one child gets a pony from their rich parents and the other gets a whistle and the child with the pony is still jealous of the other kid with the whistle.

Truly abhorrent people.

• fire
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I'd like to add that I think most PS fans are on the same page as Colin and that if Sony DO NOT buy a publisher of at least medium size soon, I would be questioning their competence and longterm dedication to gaming.
What do you mean if they do not buy a publisher?

Despite the sales and momentum off PS4's and Cerny's backs, Kordera/Ryan era PS5 has been a rolling shit show of missed opportunities and egg on face-style gaffs.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Honestly Square Enix is very likely to happen. Remember when Shu said that Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are important for Sony. I think after ABK gets approved and things have cooled down, Sony will announce Square Enix.
Pfft. Anyone got any sales numbers per franchise? Outsiders perspective but I'd say RE and MH or DMC would be more valuable for PS, from Capcom's stable.