Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I'm not laughing because I don't believe it, I'm laughing because I find it ridiculous that this of all games would be a success for SE.
Yeah Sony shouldn’t have closed Japan Studio. They were developing this colourful games (Ape Escape etc.) Japanese love colourful and cute artstyle.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Yeah Sony shouldn’t have closed Japan Studio. They were developing this colourful games (Ape Escape etc.) Japanese love colourful and cute artstyle.
I understand the need to shake things up in Japan Studio but they would've needed to create another 2 studios like Team Asobi to replace it.

Japan Studio made some of the best and most iconic PlayStation games of all time, they should've found a way to keep it going even if at a smaller scale and preserved the name.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Ico, SotC and TLG are probably Japan Studio's most iconic games post-2000. While they have great visual style I'd hardly call it "colorful and cute."

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Damn it even bested Zelda TotK in Japanese charts! 👀
This will be a huge week/month for PlayStation!
This is why Sony will buy them.

And yet it somehow only came in second to the XBO version of Prince of Persia? Maybe its just me but I smell a rat in those rankings.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sony should buy Hello Games for a few million bucks and announce No Man's Sky 2 using Decima. :p

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sony didn't close them.

They restructured it and separated its internal development team and their Japanese 2nd party publishing team into two different offices that are growing.

They continue developing internal cute and colorful games (Team Asobi has people from the Astros, Gravity Rush, Team Ico games, Puppeteer, Knack, etc) and publishing 2nd party Asian games (Death Stranding Director's Cut, Death Stranding 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside, etc.).

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: PS_ROCKS

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
With the recent email made public gloves are off as soon as the ABK deal officially goes one way or the other.

-Square Enix should be priority numbers one.
-From Software should be next.
-Capcom should be the next publisher they consider.

MS plan to outspend PlayStation/Sony out of business is out in the open for those who had not realized it yet.

If they get to control Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Street Fighter than it doesn't matter what MS buys. With no more than $20B Sony can ensure PlayStation will be dominant for a long time regardless of what MS plans on doing.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
With the recent email made public gloves are off as soon as the ABK deal officially goes one way or the other.

-Square Enix should be priority numbers one.
-From Software should be next.
-Capcom should be the next publisher they consider.

MS plan to outspend PlayStation/Sony out of business is out in the open for those who had not realized it yet.

If they get to control Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Street Fighter than it doesn't matter what MS buys. With no more than $20B Sony can ensure PlayStation will be dominant for a long time regardless of what MS plans on doing.
If Sony didn’t know before (I assume Square Enix told them way before this leaks) then they obviously will get to know it now. All the conspiracy theories were right after all, Sony really put all their major M&A activities on hold. They will probably really wait until Activision is either approved or fallen through.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
If Sony didn’t know before (I assume Square Enix told them way before this leaks) then they obviously will get to know it now. All the conspiracy theories were right after all, Sony really put all their major M&A activities on hold. They will probably really wait until Activision is either approved or fallen through.
they share the same shareholders, of course Sony knew it. they supposed not to know, because it should be confidential, but not on this level.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sony buying publishers of their own forces MS to bleed even more, bait MS into buying even more publisher like Ubisoft and Sega and lets Xbox died from all the internal chaos.

Then move and get SE + Capcom + FromSoftware and know that at the very least you'll have your own niche like Nintendo.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Sony buying publishers of their own forces MS to bleed even more, bait MS into buying even more publisher like Ubisoft and Sega and lets Xbox died from all the internal chaos.

Then move and get SE + Capcom + FromSoftware and know that at the very least you'll have your own niche like Nintendo.

I actually agree.... best move on all the Japanese publishers they can and remove them from Xbox and publish less on Switch.... just the bare minimum to make money on that platform where it makes sense.

It would cut into both Nintendo and Microsoft.

No PC. Full exclusivity for AAA stuff.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I actually agree.... best move on all the Japanese publishers they can and remove them from Xbox and publish less on Switch.... just the bare minimum to make money on that platform where it makes sense.

It would cut into both Nintendo and Microsoft.

No PC. Full exclusivity for AAA stuff.
I think Sony either needs to go all in or sell PlayStation to a company willing to do it. This already happened to plenty of other Sony division where they were not willing to do what was necessary to save themselves (Vaio was the biggest brand in laptops other than Apple and it just died, they had by far the strongest TV brand, etc).

With them already out of the portable market all it take is a single gen where they are even or fall behind Xbox and they are done for now (MS pulls all these massive IPs that they control at the right moment that is it).

If MS is willing to invest $70B for a chance to kill PlayStation and steal their position than how much is that position worth and why isn't Sony willing to spend to defend it? Why is Sony so conservative while facing a competitor that wants to outspend them out of business?

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I think Sony either needs to go all in or sell PlayStation to a company willing to do it. This already happened to plenty of other Sony division where they were not willing to do what was necessary to save themselves (Vaio was the biggest brand in laptops other than Apple and it just died, they had by far the strongest TV brand, etc).

With them already out of the portable market all it take is a single gen where they are even or fall behind Xbox and they are done for now (MS pulls all these massive IPs that they control at the right moment that is it).

If MS is willing to invest $70B for a chance to kill PlayStation and steal their position than how much is that position worth and why isn't Sony willing to spend to defend it? Why is Sony so conservative while facing a competitor that wants to outspend them out of business?
Sony will never sell their most profitable business to another company. This is their daily bread and butter. Sony divesting PlayStation is fanboys fantasy.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sony will never sell their most profitable business to another company. This is their daily bread and butter. Sony divesting PlayStation is fanboys fantasy.
Then it will go the way of Sony TVs, Vaio, etc if they don't start making massive acquisitions of their own.

How do you think Sony is going to fight Xbox+Bethesda+Activision+Blizzard+more?

With Horizon? With Uncharted? With Marvel licensed games? With Fairgame$?