Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
And now Microsoft is serious and is spending over $80 billion to acquire over 20 1st party studios and multiple publishers.
Wanna see how things changed? Look at Sony showcase this year, or the Sony showcase of last year that doesn't exist.... and then look at Microsoft's showcase this year. And it's only getting worse for PlayStation.
You will get a ton of Xbox 1st party singleplayer games, the best AAA RPGs and famous multiplayer games. Meanwhile Sony is going to spend more and more of its budget on live-service games because they hope they can make another Fortnite to save the PlayStation brand and fight off Microsoft's Call of Duty.
But it ain't gonna happen.

Well they don't have enough cash. Sony's biggest acquisition was Bungie (emergency plan - live-service games to save PlayStation). Sony is going to buy a few no-name studios like Haven and Firewalk. Not a publisher.
Remember when Sony sold multiple buildings 10 years ago to survive?

They're not going to spend $10 billion for Final Fantasy.
$10 billion is pretty much pocket change for Microsoft. For Sony it's the world.

You mean "successful" AAA games like Forspoken or Square's biggest IP Final Fantasy XVI only selling 3 million copies? Yeah no, they will keep making AA games for Switch. They know that's their future. See Theatrhythm Final Bar Line, Star Ocean: The Second Story R, or Dragon Quest Monsters.

It's literally Sony PlayStation's future. To become another 3rd party publisher just like Sega.
do you want get a ban? i don't get it. punching the same nonsense every day isn't helping anyone. not your delusions, not people trying to make sane discussion.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
And now Microsoft is serious and is spending over $80 billion to acquire over 20 1st party studios and multiple publishers.
Wanna see how things changed? Look at Sony showcase this year, or the Sony showcase of last year that doesn't exist.... and then look at Microsoft's showcase this year. And it's only getting worse for PlayStation.
You will get a ton of Xbox 1st party singleplayer games, the best AAA RPGs and famous multiplayer games. Meanwhile Sony is going to spend more and more of its budget on live-service games because they hope they can make another Fortnite to save the PlayStation brand and fight off Microsoft's Call of Duty.
But it ain't gonna happen.

Well they don't have enough cash. Sony's biggest acquisition was Bungie (emergency plan - live-service games to save PlayStation). Sony is going to buy a few no-name studios like Haven and Firewalk. Not a publisher.
Remember when Sony sold multiple buildings 10 years ago to survive?

They're not going to spend $10 billion for Final Fantasy.
$10 billion is pretty much pocket change for Microsoft. For Sony it's the world.

You mean "successful" AAA games like Forspoken or Square's biggest IP Final Fantasy XVI only selling 3 million copies? Yeah no, they will keep making AA games for Switch. They know that's their future. See Theatrhythm Final Bar Line, Star Ocean: The Second Story R, or Dragon Quest Monsters.

It's literally Sony PlayStation's future. To become another 3rd party publisher just like Sega.
You’re a lost case of troll. 🤡
$10B is not the world for Sony, they announced they would spend $44B in 2021. If Sony were broke they could never spent amounts of this high. Second it doesn’t matter how much cash Microsoft has, they already got scrutinised so hard for Activision Blizzard. So what makes you think another publisher would be easy to get? CMA already said they will block any further attempts of Microsoft to buy another gaming publisher. EU also spoke in 2022 an Antitrust warning to Microsoft for next big gaming related acquisition. FTC will also block every next attempts of Microsoft. No Square Enix will not make games only for Switch. They said in last financial report HD games are down.

“Digital Entertainment segment sales are down 12%.
Square Enix says it's because HD games this year didn't reach the same level as the year before, there were no MMO expansions and weak performance of existing mobile titles.”
IMG_6258.png
Net Sales: 343,267b Yen (-6%)
Operating Profit: 44,331b Yen (-25,2%)

Quoting old ass reports from over a decade. You never were interested in factual discussion, this why I said you’re keep clowning yourself. Sony is healthier than ever, they have only $10B Debt you Clown.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: PS_ROCKS

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
do you want get ban? i don't get it. punching the same nonsense every day isn't helping anyone. not your delusions, not people trying to make sane discussion.
Dude the thread title is literally "Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions". And I'm on topic.
You posting stuff like "Sony good, Microsoft bad, stop posting bad informations regarding Sony" isn't really the best content here.
Pretty sure "Icon-Era" is a forum for fans of all platforms. Or is it SonyEra? Pretty sure it isn't.

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
You’re a lost case of troll. 🤡
$10B is not the world for Sony, they announced they would spend $44B in 2021. If Sony were broke they could never spent amounts of this high. Second it doesn’t matter how much cash Microsoft has, they already got scrutinised so hard for Activision Blizzard. So what makes you think another publisher would be easy to get? CMA already said they will block any further attempts of Microsoft to buy another gaming publisher. EU also spoke in 2022 an Antitrust warning to Microsoft for next big gaming related acquisition. FTC will also block every next attempts of Microsoft. No Square Enix will not make games only for Switch. They said in last financial report HD games are down.

“Digital Entertainment segment sales are down 12%.
Square Enix says it's because HD games this year didn't reach the same level as the year before, there were no MMO expansions and weak performance of existing mobile titles.”
View attachment 1779
Net Sales: 343,267b Yen (-6%)
Operating Profit: 44,331b Yen (-25,2%)

Quoting old ass reports from over a decade. You never were interested in factual discussion, this why I said you’re keep clowning yourself. Sony is healthier than ever, they have only $10B Debt you Clown.
Yeah they "planned" to spend $44B in 2021. Money for Sony Pictures, Sony Music, Sony Imaging & Sensing Solutions, Sony Electronics, Sony Interactive Entertainment, etc.
$10 billion for ONE division, ONE acquisition literally IS the world for Sony. That's why $3.6 billion for Bungie was Sony's biggest acquisition ever. And they only did it as an emergency plan to save PlayStation because they hope they can make another Fortnite.
They do NOT have the money to spend $10 billion for one acquisition. They're going to spend another $1 or $2 billion to buy 5 more no-name studios for more GaaS games. They're going to fail like Destruction Allstars, Predator Hunting Grounds and TLOU Online.
And then it will be all over.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Yeah they "planned" to spend $44B in 2021. Money for Sony Pictures, Sony Music, Sony Imaging & Sensing Solutions, Sony Electronics, Sony Interactive Entertainment, etc.
$10 billion for ONE division, ONE acquisition literally IS the world for Sony. That's why $3.6 billion for Bungie was Sony's biggest acquisition ever. And they only did it as an emergency plan to save PlayStation because they hope they can make another Fortnite.
They do NOT have the money to spend $10 billion for one acquisition. They're going to spend another $1 or $2 billion to buy 5 more no-name studios for more GaaS games. They're going to fail like Destruction Allstars, Predator Hunting Grounds and TLOU Online.
Could you finally stop dragging your annoying console wars bs here? You’re repeating constantly this bs like a script, no matter what proof or arguments folks here do deliver. You’re not staying on topic. This thread is about Sony’s future and possible acquisitions not about Microsoft’s growing strategies. Nobody is interested in hearing your Xbox fanboys revenge fantasies. Get tf outta here with your distracting console wars nonsense.

@TubzGaming @BloodMod
Well I am open for all opinions but not this trolling like Sleepy does. The thread gone bow for several pages off-topic. Could you please do something about it?

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Dude the thread title is literally "Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions". And I'm on topic.
You posting stuff like "Sony good, Microsoft bad, stop posting bad informations regarding Sony" isn't really the best content here.
Pretty sure "Icon-Era" is a forum for fans of all platforms. Or is it SonyEra? Pretty sure it isn't.
Do you ever try visiting resetera? I hear that place is very welcoming to people like you 😂.

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
@TubzGaming @BloodMod
Well I am open for all opinions but not this trolling like Sleepy does. The thread gone bow for several pages off-topic. Could you please do something about it?
User has been removed from the thread.

Meme Reaction GIF

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
Dude u suck at trolling.

They have 15B in cash, 25B in short term assets which can be changed to cash over night. They changed accounting method in 2021. Before that they had 45B in "cash reserve". They still have with different terminology.

Yearly net profit over 10B. They can get any loan they want.

In 2017 they wanted to buy Fox whose starting price was 50B. When they were in worse position.

CMA literaly said they ll block any MS attempt to buy publisher for next 10 years. After AB opeta th3y wont buy any1 medium.

Sony in Japan can bu, any1. Without ftc, cma etc. MS wont be allowed to touch any1 in Japan. Why didnt they buy any1 already? They re trying for 20 years.

Go home u re drunk.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
My current position:

If ABK is approved somehow: Sony would be most wise to sell their banking arm and get financing to buy TakeTwo and either Capcom or Square.
This would not really be about games for PlayStation gamers primarily but a power move to somewhat balance out the ABK deal. I think Square is the better option out of the two Japanese pubs.

If ABK is stopped but MSFT intend to go after more: Sony should go Square, From and Arc System HOWEVER the above strategy remains relevant too as it would be a very strong rebuke for MSFTs acquisitions activity in gaming and hurt their ambitions a lot.

If ABK is stopped and MSFT pull out of console hardware: I would advise to focus on 3 companies with massive potential.... Square Enix, Arc System Works (to help their FGC ambitions) and Larian (As PlayStation is really hurting for WRPG games after MSFTs acquisitions of Obsidian and Zenimax).

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
As I reshape my ideas of whom Sony should pursue, am I correct in the following areas:

• SE, having moved HQ close to Sony's and having the close relationship they do, actually have no need to sell outright, and could act as an unofficial sister company, or a living together couple, just not married on paper.
  • Capcom have successfully turned their shit around and quite frankly do not need to sell to anyone. And as a multiplaform developer, removed from their previous perilous position of needing money, it doesn't benefit Capcom themselves to be acquired by someone by choice rather than by necessity. In effect, Capcom could/should be removed from discussion?
  • With SEGA's recent comments about no plans to sell the company, we should likewise strike them from the convo too, or is that likely just hand-tied denial and doesn't override previous things like SEGA selling off half its business?

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
Because you’re not discussing with goodwill, you’re trolling with your stupid Sony doompostings to trigger everybody.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
As I reshape my ideas of whom Sony should pursue, am I correct in the following areas:

• SE, having moved HQ close to Sony's and having the close relationship they do, actually have no need to sell outright, and could act as an unofficial sister company, or a living together couple, just not married on paper.
This won’t work. Never trust a company no matter how strong the partnership has been. Sony and Square had a strong relationship in PS-PS2 era until then Yoichi Wada and later Matsuda arrived. They backstabbed Sony hard and to prevent this Sony will need to acquire them in full. In the world of capitalism there are no such things as loyalty. And I heavily doubt that Sony will be able to control Square Enix if they don’t acquire at least a control stake >50% or even full acquisition. If Sony doesn’t want to worry forever about losing Square Enix, then they will have to put a ring on them. For their own good.

Edit: Also don’t forget what MS attempted to do in 2019-2020. Don’t estimate Tencent they are also potential threats.

Last edited:

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
I'm still in the right mind that sony logical potential acquisitions should be Square Enix and Capcom, on the condition that Sony should be taking hands-off approach regarding them(and maybe cut xbox from their releases lmao). And about From Software, I think they will be better off with Bandai Namco(because of their long relationship working experiences, and also Bandai Namco knew how to utilized FS expertises).
From is already owned by someone else. It’s funny how people forget this. LMAO

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Capcom
Square Enix
Level 5
Team Ninja
Platinum Games
Shift Up (Stellar Blade)
Ember Lab
Arc System Works
Konami IPs
FromSoftware
Sumo Digital
WB Games
Supermassive Games

These are the only ones that would make sense.
From is already owned by someone else. Lol

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

• Capcom have successfully turned their shit around and quite frankly do not need to sell to anyone. And as a multiplaform developer, removed from their previous perilous position of needing money, it doesn't benefit Capcom themselves to be acquired by someone by choice rather than by necessity. In effect, Capcom could/should be removed from discussion?
  • With SEGA's recent comments about no plans to sell the company, we should likewise strike them from the convo too, or is that likely just hand-tied denial and doesn't override previous things like SEGA selling off half its business?
Well, most of the usual suspects often mentioned here such as Square, Capcom, From/Kadokawa, EA, Take 2, Konami, ARC System Works, etc are better than they ever have been, or at least better than in the last 20 years or so, or almost.

These aren't in a position where they may want to sell because of being in trouble. Also, some of them are a family business with many family members in the board, or very focused on multiplatform stuff so may not see clear benefits of selling to Sony and getting their revenue/profit/value getting decreased by being moved away from other consoles or losing deals they may have from time to time with other consoles.

I think best candidates are those who aren't a family business and may need money or at least haven't been performing great in sales recently, and/or had a history of making -mainly exclusivity- deals mostly with Sony, and/or have a history of creating top performing new IP, and/or excel in new areas where Sony wants to grow/expand (MP / GaaS, PC , mobile, Asia, VR, potential for movies/tv shows/anime, genres where 1st/2nd party isn't big).

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
From is already owned by someone else. Lol
There is nothing stopping anyone from acquiring a subsidiary owned by someone else. Lol.

Firewalk Studios was a subsidiary of ProbablyMonsters for example, just as FromSoftware is a subsidiary of Kadokawa. LMAO

My current position:

If ABK is approved somehow: Sony would be most wise to sell their banking arm and get financing to buy TakeTwo and either Capcom or Square.
This would not really be about games for PlayStation gamers primarily but a power move to somewhat balance out the ABK deal. I think Square is the better option out of the two Japanese pubs.

If ABK is stopped but MSFT intend to go after more: Sony should go Square, From and Arc System HOWEVER the above strategy remains relevant too as it would be a very strong rebuke for MSFTs acquisitions activity in gaming and hurt their ambitions a lot.

If ABK is stopped and MSFT pull out of console hardware: I would advise to focus on 3 companies with massive potential.... Square Enix, Arc System Works (to help their FGC ambitions) and Larian (As PlayStation is really hurting for WRPG games after MSFTs acquisitions of Obsidian and Zenimax).
If ABK is approved somehow: CDPR, Capcom, Square Enix, From Software.

If ABK is stopped but MSFT intend to go after more: Capcom, Square Enix, From Software.

If ABK is stopped and MSFT pull out of console hardware: Square Enix, From Software.

CDPR is the direct answer to Bethesda.

Capcom is what would ensure Sony would become everlasting like Nintendo.

Square Enix and From Software would be mostly defensive moves.

Last edited:
  • fire
Reactions: Puff and Bryank75

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
There's like small possibilities Kadokawa can sold FS or being sold themselves to the highest bidders, which can include Bandai Namco or Sony.

Last edited:

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
There is nothing stopping anyone from acquiring a subsidiary owned by someone else. Lol.

Firewalk Studios was a subsidiary of ProbablyMonsters for example, just as FromSoftware is a subsidiary of Kadokawa. LMAO

If ABK is approved somehow: CDPR, Capcom, Square Enix, From Software.

If ABK is stopped but MSFT intend to go after more: Capcom, Square Enix, From Software.

If ABK is stopped and MSFT pull out of console hardware: Square Enix, From Software.

CDPR is the direct answer to Bethesda.

Capcom is what would ensure Sony would become everlasting like Nintendo.

Square Enix and From Software would be mostly defensive moves.
But why would Kadokawa sell From, especially after the success of Elden Ring? What sense does that make. From is on another universe compared to Firewalk. Lol