Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
But why would Kadokawa sell From, especially after the success of Elden Ring? What sense does that make. From is on another universe compared to Firewalk. Lol
Why would anyone sell anything? Because they would be paid for it. Lol. Lmao.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Thought I had about all the Square enix speculation. Remember when Jeff Grubb and Greg Miller heard/implied sony was going to buy square enix? I forget when it was but it may have been earlier this year/ late last year. That never came to pass but both i think would be in a position to know, espcially greg miller when it comes to sony stuff. If anything we've seen the square and sony relationship get better since then and the xbox/ square relationship seemingly continue to fray.

What im getting at here is i do believe Jeff Grubb and Greg Miller heard that and it probably was/is true but i think sony hit pause because there was/is a good probability that the activsion deal would get blocked and sony didnt want to interrupt that until they had a definite answer one way or the other.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Why would anyone sell anything? Because they would be paid for it. Lol. Lmao.
But you’re not understanding the point. Kadokawa will keep making recurring revenue off of From. Also I’m sure Tencent would fight back and outbid Sony for From anyway.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
But you’re not understanding the point. Kadokawa will keep making recurring revenue off of From. Also I’m sure Tencent would fight back and outbid Sony for From anyway.
All that is factored in the price Sony would have to pay, that is how any acquisition works.

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
You forgot the other contender: Bandai Namco LOL. Most likely the one who will get From if it's getting sold: 1. Bandai Namco(long-standing working relationship) 2. Sony(attractive multi-media approach) 3. Tencent(no other benefits except money I think LOL).

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
You forgot the other contender: Bandai Namco LOL. Most likely the one who will get From if it's getting sold: 1. Bandai Namco(long-standing working relationship) 2. Sony(attractive multi-media approach) 3. Tencent(no other benefits except money I think LOL).
Bandai sells toys as well, it's half of their revenue. Sony definitely is not interested in that.

My guess for 3 big M&A target for Sony is Square Enix, Kadokawa, MiHoYo

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Bandai sells toys as well, it's half of their revenue. Sony definitely is not interested in that.

My guess for 3 big M&A target for Sony is Square Enix, Kadokawa, MiHoYo
The Chinese government won't alow that last one, I suspect.

My guess is that S-E is the only "big" target for Sony's gaming group. Other choices that you all would hate include random mobile companies and Facebook's seven vr studios if Zucc is forced by shareholders to give up on the metaverse.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023

My guess is that S-E is the only "big" target for Sony's gaming group. Other choices that you all would hate include random mobile companies and Facebook's seven vr studios if Zucc is forced by shareholders to give up on the metaverse.
PS Mobiles aren't doing well so I don't think they gonna expand that, they are targeting transmedia company to leverage their portfolio in games, movies, music, and anime.

Kadokawa and Square Enix falls specifically in that group as they hold so many licenses that can be transformed. M&A is not just about SIE though, it's to expand all fronts.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
When will Kingdom Hearts get the same treatment.

I think Dragon Quest XII with be on new Switch day on day with PS5, PC while KH4 will also PS5 timed-exclusive.
I think KH4 will be PS5 first and later PC port. Well that depends on how more powerful Switch successor will be. If DQ XII is graphically ambitious, it could be also only PS5 and later PC.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I had originally thought that DQXII would be next gen exclusive, and probably with no Xbox version. But digging into it, yeah, I could see it being a Switch game with other versions released later.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
PS Mobiles aren't doing well so I don't think they gonna expand that, they are targeting transmedia company to leverage their portfolio in games, movies, music, and anime.
They publish using different labels, but Sony is a top 10 publisher in the mobile gaming market.

SIE in particular has as one of their many priorities to grow in the mobile market. They are building a new mobile gaming team to develop their own mobile games plus also let select external studios use their IPs to make mobile games, and also plan to support totally external "buotique" projects.

It's also in their plans to publish in the future even some games both in console and mobile (think Fortnite and Genshin Impact) as they see fit for each case.

This new SIE mobile gaming team is still in its early stages, they have been making top hirings, acquired Savage, (and not under SIE) Lasengle or Crunchyroll Games, and have been working on their mobile gaming strategy and some other studio. Even if you personally don't like it, they'll continue building and expanding their mobile gaming team, they are in early stages so it will take time to show results.

Due to the insane success, MiHoyo may have a market value bigger than Capcom or Square even if they only have a few games. So that could make it more difficult. Also, having insane success may mean they aren't interested to sell.

Regarding the Chinese government, MiHoyo isn't a particularly big company compared with other tech or gaming giants, so could allow it. Also, MiHoyo has a global publishing company in Singapore (Cognosphere) who basically handles all their operations outside China. So they could keep MiHoyo inside China as a Chinese company while selling -all, or half- of Cognosphere to Sony.

Sony could help MiHoyo publishing and marketing them in console, mobile and PC outside China while MiHoyo could help them in China, specially in mobile. But again, I see the pricing of MiHoyo as the main blocker. I think it's more likely to see Sony getting a minority stake on Cognosphere and signing with them a win/win deal.

Last edited:

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
They publish using different labels, but Sony is a top 10 publisher in the mobile gaming market.

SIE in particular has as one of their many priorities to grow in the mobile market. They are building a new mobile gaming team to develop their own mobile games plus also let select external studios use their IPs to make mobile games, and also plan to support totally external "buotique" projects.

It's also in their plans to publish in the future even some games both in console and mobile (think Fortnite and Genshin Impact) as they see fit for each case.

This new SIE mobile gaming team is still in its early stages, they have been making top hirings, acquired Savage, (and not under SIE) Lasengle or Crunchyroll Games, and have been working on their mobile gaming strategy and some other studio. Even if you personally don't like it, they'll continue building and expanding their mobile gaming team, they are in early stages so it will take time to show results.

Due to the insane success, MiHoyo may have a market value bigger than Capcom or Square even if they only have a few games. So that could make it more difficult. Also, having insane success may mean they aren't interested to sell.

Regarding the Chinese government, MiHoyo isn't a particularly big company compared with other tech or gaming giants, so could allow it. Also, MiHoyo has a global publishing company in Singapore (Cognosphere) who basically handles all their operations outside China. So they could keep MiHoyo inside China as a Chinese company while selling -all, or half- of Cognosphere to Sony.

Sony could help MiHoyo publishing and marketing them in console, mobile and PC outside China while MiHoyo could help them in China, specially in mobile. But again, I see the pricing of MiHoyo as the main blocker. I think it's more likely to see Sony getting a minority stake on Cognosphere and signing with them a win/win deal.
Fate Grand right, that is owned by Aniplex, many characters are lisenced from Type-Moon. PS Mobiles is a different thing altogether.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Fate Grand right, that is owned by Aniplex, many characters are lisenced from Type-Moon. PS Mobiles is a different thing altogether.
Fate/Grand Order, developed by Sony's Lasengle (formerly Delightworks' gaming division) and published by Sony's Aniplex generated to Sony:
  • $646 million (2015/2016)
  • $982 million (2017)
  • >$1,228 million (2018)
  • 1.2 billion (2019)
  • As of July 2021, the game grossed $5.4 billion worldwide (7th top grossing mobile game ever in gaming history)
  • I don't know its current revenue, but in the last 2 years must have made more money
"PS Mobiles" doesn't exist. But if you mean the SIE/PS Studios mobile gaming team yes, at least as of now it's a different team from Aniplex, Crunchyroll Games, ForwardWorks or other mobile gaming Sony teams.

I understand their divisions and subsidiaries are different companies with different interests, but if I was Sony I'd move all their gaming publishers and developers to their main gaming division/company (SIE) and merge their mobile gaming publishers under a single publishing brand (PlayStation Mobile maybe?) that should be under SIE and put under it all their dev teams and mobile games, localizing and releasing globally those titles who were Japan/Asia only until now.

Last edited: