Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
People thinking Disney is gonna get rid of Marvel properties are being obtuse lol.
It’s possible. If Disney is willing to sell property, it could also be single or multiple franchises. Maybe they want to do like a garage sale to outline themselves for a sale.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Swap Capcom with Square Enix because their market is low right now. Capcom is not running away. ;-)
SE market value is at ~$5.5B right now captom is at ~$8.5B. I think Capcom is more vulnerable to future MS influence so I would go after them first.

Sega is less expensive than both and closer to MS so that makes them very attractive, but their stuff is much weaker.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Microsoft can’t buy Capcom by force. They are owned by a family.
Everything is for sale when you are a multi trillion dollar company, when will you guys learn that?

Sega has a strong PC presence so I think they are attractive for both MS and PlayStation since both seem to love PC now.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It’s possible. If Disney is willing to sell property, it could also single or multiple franchises. Maybe they want to do like a garage sale to outline themselves for a sale.
They're selling the "declining value" stuff like cable and broadcast tv. I mean yeah, its possible but so is selling Mickey Mouse. Possible but they aren't going to do it.

Edit: Oh, I should have read more. I guess its actually possible possible but I don't think Square would go for it. So much of the IP is tied to the Disney branding, what is Sora without Goofy, Donald and the Disney worlds he goes through.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Eww, seems like you guys hate Sony or something. Embracer, Ubisoft... do you want PlayStation to suck?

Top priority: Capcom, From Software
Worth considering: Square Enix, Sega, Konami IPs, CDPR, Larian
Do not buy under any circumstances: Ubisoft, Embracer, Epic, WB Games.
I would say Sega.

Sony owns Sega would be the ultimate irony ;), maybe Sammy don't give a crap.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Danja and Nhomnhom

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
IP does nothing by itself and Embracer would be a complete nightmare for Sony to manage not to mention that most of their stuff doesn't fit PlayStation at all.

Now, buying a few select IPs and studios from them is another story, if the price is right I wouldn't mind Sony getting the Tomb Raider IP to make an Uncharted x Tomb Raider crossover, the possible uses are very interesting.

Nonsense majority of the major IP's they have now we're all huge on Playstation one time or another. They have mobile studios and many AA games studios.

You thinking of ony Tomb Raider ahowwa how small minded you are thinking. Sony is gonna get Tomb Raider anyways and there was nothing stopping them from getting that IP if they truly wanted.

Ubisoft cheaper than most they have an arsenal of IP's and dev talent behind them.

Capcom is my top choice but the best they can do is buy up shares right now. Capcom is at the top of their game, they ain't selling.

Sqaure - sure, I don't think they are the most important right now as it really wouldn't change anything

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Embracer is absolutely useless, something MS would buy just to list the countless studios on a poster and then close them down within a decade. Embracer looks like some sort financial pyramid scheme.

Wtf are even these?

C77 Entertainment
DestinyBit
Fall Damage
Frame Break
Framebunker
Goose Byte
Green Tile Digital
Kavalri Games
Misc Games
Palindrome Interactive
Plucky Bytes
Rare Earth Games
River End Games
Silent Games
Tarsier Studios
Vermilia Studios
Zapper Games
Asmodee
Coffee Stain Holding
Coffee Stain North
Coffee Stain Publishing
Coffee Stain Studios
Easy Trigger
Ghost Ship Games
Lavapotion
Dark Horse Media
Dark Horse Entertainment
DECA Games
CrazyLabs
IUGO Mobile Entertainment
Jufeng Studio
Easybrain
Gearbox Entertainment
Gearbox Software
Gearbox Studio Québec
Gearbox Studio Montreal
Perfect World Entertainment
Koch Media
Fishlabs
Free Radical Design
Volition
Warhorse Studios
DigixArt
Flying Wild Hog
Milestone srl
Prime Matter
Spotfilm Networkx
Vertigo Games
Vertigo Publishing
Vertigo Studios
Force Field
Ravenscourt
Saber Interactive
3D Realms
4A Games
Aspyr
Bytex
Demiurge Studios
Digic Pictures
Fractured Byte
Mad Head Games
New World Interactive
Nimble Giant Entertainment
Shiver Entertainment
Slipgate Ironworks
SmartPhone Labs
Snapshot Games
Zen Studios
THQ Nordic
Appeal Studios
Ashborne Games
Black Forest Games
Bugbear Entertainment
Experiment 101
Gate 21 d.o.o.
Grimlore Games
Gunfire Games
HandyGames
Kaiko
Mirage Game Studios
Nine Rocks Games
Pieces Interactive
Piranha Bytes
Pow Wow Entertainment
Purple Lamp Studios
Rainbow Studios
THQ Nordic France SAS

The day Sony buys Gearbox is the day I sell my PlayStation and vow to never buy one again.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
They're selling the "declining value" stuff like cable and broadcast tv. I mean yeah, its possible but so is selling Mickey Mouse. Possible but they aren't going to do it.
It depends how lucrative offer is.
For their core brands like Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck etc. I agree they won’t sell them.

For example see Spiderman: Disney owns the Merchandising rights while Sony does have the movie rights. Its a eternal tug war between them, so might be better selling also the merchandising rights. Then we also have Kingdom Hearts. Disney never cared about this IP, nor did they ever advertise it in Disney Land or similar. Disney never had greater ambitions for the franchise, but Sony values KH a lot. They have many if their hardware (Walkman, Headsets, consoles etc.) branded with KH logo/design. Well mostly exclusive to Japan but it shows Sony loves the franchise. Also KH3 was a commercial flop which really dimmed Disney’s interest in that franchise. So it’s not really unlikely Sony trying to attempt to acquire the rights for this two franchises.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

Edit: Oh, I should have read more. I guess its actually possible possible but I don't think Square would go for it. So much of the IP is tied to the Disney branding, what is Sora without Goofy, Donald and the Disney worlds he goes through.
It would be possible. See Marvel Vs Capcom.
Capcom does own the franchise but do license all the Marvel characters. This also could work fine with Kingdom Hearts. Disney doesn’t care about KH, so this IP would be better hands if Sony gets the rights.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Embracer is absolutely useless, something MS would buy just to list the countless studios on a poster and then close them down within a decade. Embracer looks like some sort financial pyramid scheme.

Wtf are even these?

C77 Entertainment
DestinyBit
Fall Damage
Frame Break
Framebunker
Goose Byte
Green Tile Digital
Kavalri Games
Misc Games
Palindrome Interactive
Plucky Bytes
Rare Earth Games
River End Games
Silent Games
Tarsier Studios
Vermilia Studios
Zapper Games
Asmodee
Coffee Stain Holding
Coffee Stain North
Coffee Stain Publishing
Coffee Stain Studios
Easy Trigger
Ghost Ship Games
Lavapotion
Dark Horse Media
Dark Horse Entertainment
DECA Games
CrazyLabs
IUGO Mobile Entertainment
Jufeng Studio
Easybrain
Gearbox Entertainment
Gearbox Software
Gearbox Studio Québec
Gearbox Studio Montreal
Perfect World Entertainment
Koch Media
Fishlabs
Free Radical Design
Volition
Warhorse Studios
DigixArt
Flying Wild Hog
Milestone srl
Prime Matter
Spotfilm Networkx
Vertigo Games
Vertigo Publishing
Vertigo Studios
Force Field
Ravenscourt
Saber Interactive
3D Realms
4A Games
Aspyr
Bytex
Demiurge Studios
Digic Pictures
Fractured Byte
Mad Head Games
New World Interactive
Nimble Giant Entertainment
Shiver Entertainment
Slipgate Ironworks
SmartPhone Labs
Snapshot Games
Zen Studios
THQ Nordic
Appeal Studios
Ashborne Games
Black Forest Games
Bugbear Entertainment
Experiment 101
Gate 21 d.o.o.
Grimlore Games
Gunfire Games
HandyGames
Kaiko
Mirage Game Studios
Nine Rocks Games
Pieces Interactive
Piranha Bytes
Pow Wow Entertainment
Purple Lamp Studios
Rainbow Studios
THQ Nordic France SAS

The day Sony buys Gearbox is the day I sell my PlayStation and vow to never buy one again.

Like I said... IP's

You listing studios is moot and pointless here.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
It’s possible. If Disney is willing to sell property, it could also be single or multiple franchises. Maybe they want to do like a garage sale to outline themselves for a sale.
What part of marvel rights or distribution rights are being discussed, cause I mean Sony own a consolidated anime platform and I believe a manga publishing house.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Sqaure - sure, I don't think they are the most important right now as it really wouldn't change anything
Well you say so but Sony’s action speaking a different language. There is not a single publisher where Sony does pump more money into it than Square Enix. You guys need to look wider than just gaming. Sony and Square are collaborating on many more fields than just gaming. Music, Anime, Manga adaptions etc.
Gangan Comics would be a huge get for Sony’s Anime Entertainment ambitions.
If Sony targets a Japanese pub it will be definitely Square Enix over any other there.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Disney is never getting rid of the Marvel IP lol. Nor are they getting rid of the Spiderman Marchandising rights. I'm sure they'll get rid of of dormant stuff but Marvel is still the biggest entertainment media we have currently. They haven't even started with X-Men who will eventually cross over with Spiderman

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
What part of marvel rights or distribution rights are being discussed, cause I mean Sony own a consolidated anime platform and I believe a manga publishing house.
Sony has leading distribution for Anime streaming, not Anime industry in itself. They are far from being a distribution monopoly. Sentai Filmworks, Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu also exist.

Sony has an Anime Publisher with Aniplex but not a single Manga publisher/label do they own.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Disney is never getting rid of the Marvel IP lol. Nor are they getting rid of the Spiderman Marchandising rights. I'm sure they'll get rid of of dormant stuff but Marvel is still the biggest entertainment media we have currently. They haven't even started with X-Men who will eventually cross over with Spiderman
Any company is getting rid of anything if some other company values it more than they do. Why not? The thing is Marvel IPs have more value for Disney than they do for anyone else unless that other company is into burning money like Xbox.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Zzero