Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Since Sony signed a deal with Xbox for Cod, I think that means MS wont mettle with PS plans for buying publishers, since they helped them out. Whether they signed that contract in distress or willing is unknown i guess. I think all the big publishers are off the table for Sony. Such as Take Two, EA, Ubisoft etc. Most likely will be a Japanese publisher
Take Two, EA should be off the table. No way in hell Sony will risk breakout fee, scrutiny by regulators(even though their competitor is above the law) and millions of fee to defend their case, not to mention the bad press from media because you guess it...

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023
Shuld they buy capcom, square? Sure. But what if capcom family doestn want to sell? What if they want 20B? They re not worth that.
Sony doesnt have huge warchest to risk it all on publishers who have 500m-1B yearly profit. People forget that few bad moves and rough years can put sony in dangerous position.

Take off your nerd glasses for a moment. U dont like ubisoft games. Fine. But if they re avaliable for purchase and for 4B? Any manager d take them in consideration. AC s one of the biggest 3P games on market. Rainbow six s one of the biggest shooters on planet. Crew s literally forza horizon. Splinter cell, prince of persia, great potential. They can fire unwanted devs, marketing, cut the fat.

This isnt about what we like or love, or hate. This s about PS position in market and their future. More pubs and studios they get its better for their future position. I dont care about Ubi. But buy them now. Then in a year or two square. Japanese pubs dont need to go through cma, eu.

Crow

Banned
15 Jul 2023
Shuld they buy capcom, square? Sure. But what if capcom family doestn want to sell? What if they want 20B? They re not worth that.
Sony doesnt have huge warchest to risk it all on publishers who have 500m-1B yearly profit. People forget that few bad moves and rough years can put sony in dangerous position.

Take off your nerd glasses for a moment. U dont like ubisoft games. Fine. But if they re avaliable for purchase and for 4B? Any manager d take them in consideration. AC s one of the biggest 3P games on market. Rainbow six s one of the biggest shooters on planet. Crew s literally forza horizon. Splinter cell, prince of persia, great potential. They can fire unwanted devs, marketing, cut the fat.

This isnt about what we like or love, or hate. This s about PS position in market and their future. More pubs and studios they get its better for their future position. I dont care about Ubi. But buy them now. Then in a year or two square. Japanese pubs dont need to go through cma, eu.
Japanese publishers have to go through the cma, and EU. And the FTC if they sue to block. They operate in their markets so they have to.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Japanese publishers have to go through the cma, and EU. And the FTC if they sue to block. They operate in their markets so they have to.
Nah no one will block Sony’s acquisitions of Japanese publishers. CMA and EU dropped the Console concerns, also the share on Xbox less to nonexistent. It’s actually wishful thinking that the acquisition of Japanese pubs would get scrutinised. There is no way in hell that anything could be blocked after Activision Blizzard was approved.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
With the ABK deal all but confirmed to go through, the fact it cant close until August (or later) should give sony some reprieve to plan as if its already happened. I mean they shouldve been doing that anyways.

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
With the ABK deal all but confirmed to go through, the fact it cant close until August (or later) should give sony some reprieve to plan as if its already happened. I mean they shouldve been doing that anyways.

This 100%, If they have planned acquisitions, they need to announce them now. The quicker the better. No need to hold back.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
This is why Sony will prioritise Square Enix.

• party
Reactions: Arminius
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Could Sony team up in some way with a bigger company as well?
It depends if Sony want to. If Sony would like they could could get huge investments when e.g. Apple and Google buying shares of Sony. But they probably don’t want this. Sony bought back shares for several billion dollars. They also declined that Saudi Group can buy their shares. Means Sony has no interest to sell more of their shares.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Alot of them don't like it as SE and capcom have games they like, and alot of then don't actually care about abk games.

SE being acquired is deffo gonna piss them off.
Not only that but they never gained anything from the Activision or Bethesda acquisitions as they get or eventually would have gotten everything no longer than a year after release.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
It depends if Sony want to. If Sony would like they could could get huge investments when e.g. Apple and Google buying shares of Sony. But they probably don’t want this. Sony bought back shares for several billion dollars. They also declined that Saudi Group can buy their shares. Means Sony has no interest to sell more of their shares.
Can't blame them they are the healthiest they've been since the early 2000's.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Alot of them don't like it as SE and capcom have games they like, and alot of them don't actually care about abk games.

SE being acquired is deffo gonna piss them off.
I really think if Sony announces to acquire Square Enix PC, Nintendo and Xbox guys will have a meltdown the internet has not witnessed yet. This will probably cause for weeks headlines and controversy in media.