Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
This is exactly what I mean. You keep provoking people based on their taste. The entire time you speak lowly of Japanese gaming culture. It’s also you who keeps reverting in insulting people. Just to name a few: cringe weebs, idiotic , degenerated, low IQ, emotional damaged, dumb… this enough?
I have been never gloating to other persons on the internet, but for you I will make an exception when Sony announces to acquire a Japanese pub. Just out of spite for you daily provocation and insults.

D

Deleted member 223

Calls for thread nuking, poster banning all because of someone contesting the prudence, logic and objectivity of a fairy tale suggestion/opinion that has become hive mind group think.

It's more than appropriate, here is another one:

kid-table.gif

Hint: folks are supposed to reflect on it, not double down on the tantrums. Just makes it stick more.

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Fairytales…🤦🏻‍♂️
You’re beyond ridiculous. Again just because you’re lacking the creativity and being heavily in denial, it doesn’t prove anything nor does it apply said scenarios won’t ever happen.
What annoying is how lowly you talk the entire time about Japanese gaming. In addition you’re also being more than rude and insulting continuously. It doesn’t matter how many toddler gifs you do post, this also does shows on which low mental level you do move.

@TubzGaming @Bryank75 @BloodMod
Please remove this outrageous guy. He is disturbing the entire flow of this thread. And also see his replies how he does constantly provoke and insult. He can’t stay on a normal tone.

D

Deleted member 223

It can happen. See that's another strawman. I'm not denying it can happen - Sony can go out tomorrow and buy Square. Of course it can happen - it has already happened before. What sort of mind fixates on such a simple strawman and considers it an appropriate response to anything? Unless of course you're either idiotic or you consciously admit to be out of ammo thus default with a bad faith take. If the person you're arguing against makes the correct assessment that buying Square can result in a potential response by Nintendo that already assumes that it can happen.... and millions more cues to this effect. So there is no room for misunderstanding here except brain damage or bad faith strawmans. That is to say, we're beyond the benefit of the doubt for naive misunderstandings.

I'm saying it should not happen, I hope it won't happen because it won't address the problem, thus the Square buy is a fairytale fix to Sony's current/future predicament. Not only that it also has the potential to do more damage than good if Nintendo feels threatened and jumps into the frey, along with lost opportunity costs of the merger, both in cost and time etc etc etc. That has always been the core argument. Buying Square is not an appropiate answer, not the correct answer, and it never will be - any thinking to the contrary amounts to fairy tales (of the desired market effect, specially vis a vis MS as a competitor). Swing and miss for the whole roster.

Last edited by a moderator:

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Oh god, not this obsession over IP. MS are a bunch of rich kids morons buying big IPs as toys. So for what, you gonna spaltter every IPs on your poster, you retail gaming box, as a bunch of trophies just to flex?

Having big IPs will not mean that you will get good game that is well received. Bethesda for example, have like 3 studios that usable, iD Software output is reallly slow, Bethesda Softworks, is well, Bethesda. Other studios are garbage, you would rather drag those IPs to hell because you are creatively bankrupted, the next installment gonna piss off your fanbase and bury your IP to the ground, MS. Same for Acti, they got shit ton of IP but at the end of the days, it's all gonna be about COD.

Look at Sony, last gen they create IP from peanut and butter. Ghost of Tsushima was created by developer of Infamous, a mediocre superhero franchies. Horizon was created by Killzone developer, whose last IP was just eurojank with good graphics . At the end of the day, trust and talents decide the end products. If Sony manage to fix their Gaas issues then I think they are good. They don't need to take huge risk with big buyout that they cannot control end results.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
SE fit Sony because, they have a good stream of Gaas revenue with MMORPG. Four of their big creative units are doing pretty OK, except maybe for Luminous. They have IPs that can benefits all Sony's fronts. Their relationship with SE and understand of management will help them not to running them to the ground.

Sony buying SE should be the best they could bring right now, don't go buying big fancy toys that they cannot control.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
One thought I had is that i think sony should expand Xdev and publish more third party games. Rather than just make timed exclsuives, publish the game to be IP holder and kind of tie the fanbase to their console. Kind like a fromsoftware situation where sony owns the demon souls bloodborne ips, from fans just naturally gravitate toward PS as the "place" to play ALL their games even if not exclusive.

Im not saying thats the only thing they should do, but i think itd be a smart move in short term. Like for example, say they bought like 15 percent of SE and were the publisher of a new neir game and FF17 online. Itd be the same benefit as owning them but without spending a huge chunk of money and avoiding regulatory hurtles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
One thought I had is that i think sony should expand Xdev and publish more third party games. Rather than just make timed exclsuives, publish the game to be IP holder and kind of tie the fanbase to their console. Kind like a fromsoftware situation where sony owns the demon souls bloodborne ips, from fans just naturally gravitate toward PS as the "place" to play ALL their games even if not exclusive.

Im not saying thats the only thing they should do, but i think itd be a smart move in short term.
I think they already kinda doing it in a moderate way. Stellar Blade and Rise of Ronin are such examples. But I get what you mean, XDEV Japan as own publishing label would probably open new paths. Rumours suggest that SIE will publish one of Hajime Tabata’s games (JP Games).

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023

Im not saying thats the only thing they should do, but i think itd be a smart move in short term. Like for example, say they bought like 15 percent of SE and were the publisher of a new neir game and FF17 online. Itd be the same benefit as owning them but without spending a huge chunk of money and avoiding regulatory hurtles.
They are still doing that, Rise of the Ronin, KoTOR Remake, Death Stranding 2, Stellar Blade, Helldivers II, Firewall Ultra, and Chinese games like Lost Soul Aside and Convallaria.

Xbox is still more vulnerable than ever since regardless of what they acquired it's all going to take a long time to affect anything. I find it very surprising how passive Sony is, they could pretty kill Xbox if they were aggressive like in the early PS4 days and stopped conceding everything to Xbox.

Last edited:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Oh god, not this obsession over IP. MS are a bunch of rich kids morons buying big IPs as toys. So for what, you gonna spaltter every IPs on your poster, you retail gaming box, as a bunch of trophies just to flex?

Having big IPs will not mean that you will get good game that is well received. Bethesda for example, have like 3 studios that usable, iD Software output is reallly slow, Bethesda Softworks, is well, Bethesda. Other studios are garbage, you would rather drag those IPs to hell because you are creatively bankrupted, the next installment gonna piss off your fanbase and bury your IP to the ground, MS. Same for Acti, they got shit ton of IP but at the end of the days, it's all gonna be about COD.

Look at Sony, last gen they create IP from peanut and butter. Ghost of Tsushima was created by developer of Infamous, a mediocre superhero franchies. Horizon was created by Killzone developer, whose last IP was just eurojank with good graphics . At the end of the day, trust and talents decide the end products. If Sony manage to fix their Gaas issues then I think they are good. They don't need to take huge risk with big buyout that they cannot control end results.
The downplaying of Infamous and Killzone doesn't sit right with me...

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
@Eternal_Wings and @KnittedKnight

I read through the few posts where you butted heads. I don't think this is anything we can't get over here.

You disagree on strategy, you disagree on who Sony should acquire.

Ultimately it is out of our hands and Sony may not buy a single publisher, they may buy nothing at all, there is no point falling out with fellow forum members over such a disagreement.

There are several options moving forward.... take a breath, forgive and move forward while respecting one another, put the other member on ignore or continue arguing over the same issue and potentially get locked out of this thread or face moderation.

We value the both of you here and we hope you decide to take the best road for all involved. We are trying to build a tight nit community here and we depend on you all to help us in small ways, this wold be one. ❤️

This isn't like some other forums, where they ban and forget people... we feel it if something happens.

24 Jun 2022
^ props @Bryank75 for keeping the peace. I think seeing how the proceeds for the ABK acquisition have played out to MS's favor so strongly in spite of the blatant intentions they want to pursue in gaming spelled out in those leaked emails & unredacted documents, combined with the toxic astroturfing and shilling MS & ABK people have condoned, encouraged & spotlighted have made the past few weeks/months rather dire for genuine gaming discourse that isn't tainted by a greedy acquisition.

The fact it feels like MS have been able to control so much discourse online the past year is equally upsetting, and I think some folks are just trying to process & deal with that and might get a bit heated here or there. I'm gonna take this opportunity to advocate for Sony bringing back Kevin Butler as the face/mascot and online community representative from/to the PlayStation fanbase. Someone who's actually likable, not fake-likable like Phil Spencer, and doesn't enable the toxic console warring.

And, yes, also does a lot of podcast interviews with the content creators and media. Like it or not, that's part of the main reason MS have as much presence as they do online in enthusiast circles; Sony could easily destroy that bringing back something Xbox built (copied) their online gaming media persona around, IMO.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
^ props @Bryank75 for keeping the peace. I think seeing how the proceeds for the ABK acquisition have played out to MS's favor so strongly in spite of the blatant intentions they want to pursue in gaming spelled out in those leaked emails & unredacted documents, combined with the toxic astroturfing and shilling MS & ABK people have condoned, encouraged & spotlighted have made the past few weeks/months rather dire for genuine gaming discourse that isn't tainted by a greedy acquisition.

The fact it feels like MS have been able to control so much discourse online the past year is equally upsetting, and I think some folks are just trying to process & deal with that and might get a bit heated here or there. I'm gonna take this opportunity to advocate for Sony bringing back Kevin Butler as the face/mascot and online community representative from/to the PlayStation fanbase. Someone who's actually likable, not fake-likable like Phil Spencer, and doesn't enable the toxic console warring.

And, yes, also does a lot of podcast interviews with the content creators and media. Like it or not, that's part of the main reason MS have as much presence as they do online in enthusiast circles; Sony could easily destroy that bringing back something Xbox built (copied) their online gaming media persona around, IMO.

Absolutely, I know that all the people we have here are very decent and dedicated / passionate gamers.

When a company like Microsoft makes moves that hurt gaming, it hurts us all and we can all have moments of frustration and sometimes a person just happens to get in the firing line.

We're all PlayStation fans here, it's something we must remember and we all just want the platform to be the best it can be. If we keep that in the back of our minds, I think we can mostly avoid conflict through understanding where the other person is coming from.

I'd love Kevin Butler back, he was brilliant. So silly why they got rid of him, when you have people like Alanah Pearse advertising Alienware computers and Steam Deck and all sorts of xbox stuff while working for PlayStation..... bizarre double standards.

Reactions: Ludwig
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
This has nothing to do with Microsoft. This is clearly bad education. Someone with good manners wouldn’t keep resulting in throwing slurs:
“cringe weebs, mentally ill, deranged logic, retarded, brain damaged, low IQ, idiotic, poor rhetoric skills, dumb” etc. No this is not how someone should be approved to speak with others. I am kinda feeling like on Twitter where badmouthed kids throwing insults non stop. So just I am disagreeing or being in denial of someone’s opinion, I can insult them?

Last edited:

DForce

24 Jun 2022
Microsoft might take a break from acquiring big publishers, so this has to be the time for Sony and others to buy publishers because they know MS will try to go after them in the future. They can't afford to sit around and make small moves.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
@Eternal_Wings and @KnittedKnight

I read through the few posts where you butted heads. I don't think this is anything we can't get over here.

You disagree on strategy, you disagree on who Sony should acquire.

Ultimately it is out of our hands and Sony may not buy a single publisher, they may buy nothing at all, there is no point falling out with fellow forum members over such a disagreement.

There are several options moving forward.... take a breath, forgive and move forward while respecting one another, put the other member on ignore or continue arguing over the same issue and potentially get locked out of this thread or face moderation.

We value the both of you here and we hope you decide to take the best road for all involved. We are trying to build a tight nit community here and we depend on you all to help us in small ways, this wold be one. ❤️

This isn't like some other forums, where they ban and forget people... we feel it if something happens.
Need an option to ignore threads at this point

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Do you guys think we see Sony make any moves soon or wait until after August when all this CMA stuff is done with? Ill admit im kind of surprised they havent done anything yet.

Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Do you guys think we see Sony make any moves soon or wait until after August when all this CMA stuff is done with? Ill admit im kind of surprised they havent done anything yet.
Sony waited for two years they will also sit this out. If anything happens than I think it will be November. If not then next fiscal year, early 2024 I suppose.

Reactions: Dabaus