Sony's future and possible studio/publisher acquisitions

Edmund

25 Apr 2023
@Angie you haven't answered my question yet. You're still dodging.

Considering that MS just bought out 2 of the biggest publishers and making their games exclusive, Why do you consider Sony the bad guys (You said you will stop playing on playstation and only on switch) if they acquire a pub/dev to protect themselves.

Do you expect Sony to just take it in the ass?

I don't think Sony cares if you stop playing on the playstation. I just want to know what's with the double standards and if you're really that dense if you think Sony should just take it in the ass and grow organically. That's all I want to know.

Reactions: Diah
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Why would you buy something to keep the same?

Then there is really no point to buy something. And if they go for Square is not because of the small audience in the Xbox, is probably to bring the audience from Switch to PS. Especially in Japan.

They left Bungie to be the same, because they believe they would gain from their MP experience. They don't need Square to learn how to make single player games lol
They need Square Enix to make a comeback in Japan and for variety. Final Fantasy, Nier, Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts are powerful IPs across the globe. FF7 Rebirth caused as much hype as Marvel Spiderman 2 did. It’s not just video games, they share a ton if synergies. Sony’s Aniplex is working for decades with Gangan Comics for Anime Adaptions. Gangan Comics has very popular Manga Franchises, which often turned out to be successful Anime adaptions. Sony needs expertise for Mobile games, Square Enix is an experienced veteran. Exactly what Sony is looking for. I doubt Sony would remove DQ from Nintendo systems in the future. It sells as good on PlayStation there if maybe not slightly better. Sony can’t justify an economical loss, they are not Microsoft. Square Enix is a treasure drove for talent and franchises. All points to Square Enix, there is not really a publisher than Square who would fit in Sony Group corporation. This would be a purchase which the entire Sony conglomerate would profit on.

Last edited:

Angie

Forum Veteran
5 Jul 2022
@Angie you haven't answered my question yet. You're still dodging.

Considering that MS just bought out 2 of the biggest publishers and making their games exclusive, Why do you consider Sony the bad guys (You said you will stop playing on playstation and only on switch) if they acquire a pub/dev to protect themselves.

Do you expect Sony to just take it in the ass?

I don't think Sony cares if you stop playing on the playstation. I just want to know what's with the double standards and if you're really that dense if you think Sony should just take it in the ass and grow organically. That's all I want to know.
I think I answered several times my point.

And about Sony being the bad guys, I think they all are. In fact I got a ban for congratulating Bobby for being the biggest winner in the Activision sale.

The reason I spoke about Sony was because I own a Sony console. I do not own a Xbox.

I said several times I expect Sony to reply in some way, All I said is that I hate consolidation in all forms of mediums. And I gave you several examples how consolidation is bad for consumers.

Maybe is my bad english, but I'm not sure how better I can make my point lol

I think they all suck and it will be worse in the future.

Angie

Forum Veteran
5 Jul 2022
Guys I'm having flashbacks, because I had this exact conversation in the past on ERA lol

There is only so much I can argue about something I hate until I start to repete myself lol

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Guys I'm having flashbacks, because I had this exact conversation in the past on ERA lol

There is only so much I can argue about something I hate until I start to repete myself lol
Relax nobody is attacking you here. ResetEra is bit of a special place, unlike there no one is going to become rude to you or locking your account here. We simply disagree with each other’s opinions, which is okay. In the end what we actively wish for or thinking would be best for the Japanese, will not influence how Sony will act. If Sony buys Square Enix or not doesn’t lie in our hands. What happens behind closed doors is not in our range.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diah

Angie

Forum Veteran
5 Jul 2022
Relax nobody is attacking you here. ResetEra is bit of a special place, unlike there no one is going to become rude or lock your account here. We simply disagree with each other’s opinions, which is okay. In the end what we actively wish for or thinking would be best for the Japanese, you will not influence how Sony will act. If Sony buys Square Enix or not doesn’t lie in our hands. What happens behind closed doors is not in our range.
Like I always said I would prefer something like Pearl Abyss.

They have a MMORPG, Crimson Desert looks amazing and would see Sony expand to South Korea.

Is that what Sony will do? I really doubt it.

They will probably do some defensive buy, and I don't believe it will be good for consumers.

But just my opinion.

Zeno

28 Jun 2023
Why would you buy something to keep the same?

Then there is really no point to buy something. And if they go for Square is not because of the small audience in the Xbox, is probably to bring the audience from Switch to PS. Especially in Japan.

They left Bungie to be the same, because they believe they would gain from their MP experience. They don't need Square to learn how to make single player games lol

I believe you are missing something here. Sony is paying heavily for some exclusivity of Square Enix games.
If they quit doing that the incentive to buy a Playstation console from a customer point of view would decrease.
If they keep paying and funding Square Enix exclusives they will need to pay a larger price now that Microsoft will also bid and try to convince SE with game pass deals and so on.

So Sony DOES have a valid argument in why to buy SE and their IPs, they would secure at least the status quo (mainline FF games releasing first on Playstation). They would also have valuable IP to use for TV & Film. Longterm it would probably benefit Sony to outright aquire SE instead of securing the games via timed exclusive deals. Which is funny enough one of the reasons why Microsoft bought Bethesda. Sony was securing Bethesda titles left and right and Microsoft would perfectly be able to compete with the exclusivity deals, they just choose to buy Bethesda outright, longterm this made the most sense for them.

Just because the Bungie aquisition was for live service talent does not mean Sony will only focus on these types of acquisition.

I feel like you are missing the fact that Sony has a deep interest to be the best place to play the mainline FF games. If they lose that exclusivity they will lose console sales in US + Europe.

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The ambition from Bethesda games is gone, they don't need to be good to get high player count when you give it for "free"(that's all that matters, right?)
They try to fake critical reception with cherry-picked review outlets(XboxShilhole N+1) to have an image of being successful.

Actually paying customers rated the latest Bethesda turd lower than FO76.

Race to bottom with their own IPs, devaluating other Publishers games with this shit is deliberate.
MSFT wants to have their foot on the neck of gaming, not a future I would cheer for.

I trust Sony more with their acquisitions any studio they buy, needs to be successful, they need to have ambition and quality to actually sell the games they create.

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
Sony should've bought From software after the sleeper hit success of 2009's Demon's Souls.

Too many missed opportunities.

Shawn Layden did the best decision to buy Insomniac Games for just $250+ million.

Come closer, man. I've missed you!

web series bro hug GIF

24 Jun 2022
I have no problem with Sony buying devs (nor it matters that much to me, because founding from second party or first party is the same).

I do have a problem if Sony strategy would be instead of create was to take away from others.

I prefer Sony founding stuff like Rise of Ronin, I would have a problem if they bought CDPR just to remove The Witcher from Xbox, so the console warriors make a list to brag about it.

And yes, if Sony strategy is to buy something like Square just to remove games like Dragon Quest from Nintendo, and all the other smaller games that have a audience on Switch, I will have a huge problem with it.
If their strategy is to expand to South Korea and China, and bring new creators and new games, than I will give them massive credit for it.

So, I get what you're saying, but here's the thing; I highly doubt any strategy where Sony acquires Square-Enix, would actually involve removing Square-Enix games from Nintendo systems. Mainly, because the SE games on Nintendo systems are more of their budget-like offerings, AA-scale games. What does Sony gain by making Octopath exclusive to PlayStation?

OTOH, there ARE IP that they could bring back through acquiring SE, that could be PS-exclusive and justifiably so, because they have no presence on Nintendo platforms. IP like Parasite Eve and Einhander immediately come to mind. It would be case-by-case, and unlike Microsoft when it comes to new releases, Sony actually have demonstrated they're willing to bring new games to multiple systems post-acquisition. That's what they're doing with Marathon, it's what they did even back in the day with Destruction Derby and Wipeout.

Strategically the only platform that would see SE games likely removed or reduced is Xbox, but that's something Microsoft invited upon themselves by wholesale making all future Zenimax releases Xbox console-exclusive. Which BTW, means even the Switch isn't getting those games, when it probably would've been the perfect system for them i.e HiFi Rush. The fact is, Sony have to do something WRT a major publisher acquisition or two, to secure historically strong 3P partners, and have content to leverage against Microsoft.

Because, that's the natural response Microsoft has now invited with their insanely aggressive publisher acquisition strategy. You've read the emails, you know what they want to do to Sony (and Nintendo) and they have shown they have no problem bleeding money in gaming for decades to simply whittle away smaller competitors until they can be eliminated or acquired. Sony are not the ones you should be concerned about with gaming M&As here, honestly, and there's enough historical evidence to prove it.

And I'm sure Sony is going to do something, because even the CEO aluded to it, and Jim is probably someone who prefers organic grown (and he is right), and we all going to lose for it.

You can have organic growth even through M&As, you just need to have the right leadership. Meaning that leadership needs to be creative and have critical skills in that area.

The problem with Microsoft Gaming is that its leadership is horrible when it comes to being creatively minded. Like right now they are talking about bringing Guitar Hero back which would be nice, but I also know that's because it's a very easy IP to turn into a GaaS live-service model with big monetization options, and that's the real reason they're talking about bringing it back. Seeing how that push has negatively affected IP such as Halo, there's a strong chance they'll screw up Guitar Hero too.

Only relying on organic growth (i.e making studios internally from ground-up) would be the ideal solution for Sony if a direct competitor wasn't trying to squeeze them out of the market by cutting them off from 3P partners through acquisitions. For Microsoft, this strategy is really about choking competitors like Sony off from having independent partnerships and business operations with 3P publishers and their studios. If they do that, they gain a ton of IP and resources to utilize in pressuring Sony to lopsided terms for once-3P content that is now MS content. It also makes those 3P more entrenched in MS's backend development system, and Microsoft now act as the middleman in all instances of business with content from that 3P going forward.

For Microsoft it's about absolute control of the content and distribution, marketing, association, and using that to push competitors out. And they're doing it not on the merits of what their gaming division's earned, but other, much larger, non-gaming parts of the company. You can decide to stop playing on PlayStation all you want in the chance Sony acquires another publisher, but Nintendo won't be a haven forever. Microsoft want to buy them someday, too, and they've already got various publications (whether directly or indirectly) conditioning the prospects of that to the public in a more "pro-consumer" language.

As weird as it sounds, Sony acquiring a major publisher or two could indirectly benefit Nintendo, and likely more so than Microsoft acquiring Zenimax or ABK have (or will).

Last edited:

gokuss4

28 Jan 2023
I had dream today that sony bought take two interactive for just 14B
It was a weird dream
But seriously if sony owns grand theft auto that would be a huge win
It's the biggest game in the world now
And yes it's bigger then cod mario and ea sports football

• haha
Reactions: Diah and Bo_Hazem
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
It was a weird dream

Man the Act/Blizz did you bad, mate. Don't worry, this Act/Blizz shit with MS infamous management is a recipe of disaster. Enjoy.

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
It was a weird dream
Nothing is bigger than Mario not even GTA

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I hate to say it but I feel like we are witnessing the slow, inevitable consolidation of the games industry in the same way it happened to movies. Microsoft being the monopolist that they are have opened the floodgates. All other American big tech are going to buy a publisher now to take a stab at gaming and of course it’s going to fail.

I think it’s too little too late for Sony to try and keep up with the big boys now. It’s unbelievable they couldn’t see this was the inevitable future and started to plan accordingly securing key ip from partners, whatever that would look like. Best Sony can hope for is the Japanese government blocks Japanese publishers from being bought but Microsoft will use the US government to strong arm them too. Sony is just going to stay the course, but a small studio and try to make them be the next big thing but worse yet because it will be a gaas game nobody wants.

Worse yet for Sony this generation has been a wash in establishing new ip to make up for lost ones. Most of Sonys out out has been sequels and remakes. Also now regulators are aware of how well they are doing compared to Microsoft. Again, in instead of getting their own house in order preparing for the inevitable future, they decided to complain and bring attention to themselves.

Best they can do now is probably invest like 10-15 percent in Japanese publishers but even that seems like a fever dream at this point. We’re well past Sony will buy SE as a reprisal, especially now with the new ceo cozying up to MS. Sony sat on their laurels and decided to chase trends instead of locking down key partners and content.

I hope it’s not to little too late and the new ceo guy has his head in the right place but I wouldn’t be shocked if PlayStation is about to get walkmanned.

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
I hate to say it but I feel like we are witnessing the slow, inevitable consolidation of the games industry in the same way it happened to movies. Microsoft being the monopolist that they are have opened the floodgates. All other American big tech are going to buy a publisher now to take a stab at gaming and of course it’s going to fail.

I think it’s too little too late for Sony to try and keep up with the big boys now. It’s unbelievable they couldn’t see this was the inevitable future and started to plan accordingly securing key ip from partners, whatever that would look like. Best Sony can hope for is the Japanese government blocks Japanese publishers from being bought but Microsoft will use the US government to strong arm them too. Sony is just going to stay the course, but a small studio and try to make them be the next big thing but worse yet because it will be a gaas game nobody wants.

Worse yet for Sony this generation has been a wash in establishing new ip to make up for lost ones. Most of Sonys out out has been sequels and remakes. Also now regulators are aware of how well they are doing compared to Microsoft. Again, in instead of getting their own house in order preparing for the inevitable future, they decided to complain and bring attention to themselves.

Best they can do now is probably invest like 10-15 percent in Japanese publishers but even that seems like a fever dream at this point. We’re well past Sony will buy SE as a reprisal, especially now with the new ceo cozying up to MS. Sony sat on their laurels and decided to chase trends instead of locking down key partners and content.

I hope it’s not to little too late and the new ceo guy has his head in the right place but I wouldn’t be shocked if PlayStation is about to get walkmanned.
Only one here looking at big publisher would be Amazon and Meta because they dabble in games this is a big assumption that they care about the games industry I guess they do but we haven't seen anything from them in regards to the level of investment but maybe in future

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Only one here looking at big publisher would be Amazon and Meta because they dabble in games this is a big assumption that they care about the games industry I guess they do but we haven't seen anything from them in regards to the level of investment but maybe in future
You could’ve been said about Microsoft before the inner gaming but here we are

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022

This is an unnecessarily doomer outlook. Like it's one thing to be pessimistic, but with this outlook why even play modern games anymore if you feel there's no hope?

It's not too late for Sony to do what's obvious, but they will have to start very soon. Acquiring one or two of their biggest 3P partners (preferably at least one Japanese), or perhaps just one publisher and a few solid developers (Arc System Works, Vanillaware, Level 5 etc.). Doing a mix of share purchases & big investments into other key partners. Refocusing the PC strategy to mainly be on GaaS titles and compilations of legacy PS1/2/3 titles (and maybe Dreams). Bringing back in-house AA 1P traditional software support, and making sure the GaaS titles are unique and varied enough (and you don't need 10 of them, nor do you need them all in a small 2-3 year timespan. That's stupid).

If anything, adjusting the PC strategy to what makes logical sense, would allow them to also scale further into mobile, and mobile could be leveraged for initiating more in-house AA-tier titles, which Sony needs to fill out their release schedule. Some of those games would just be for console, but some could be made with mobile in mind and then adjusted for a console release.

There's a very clear path for Sony to follow if they want to deal with Microsoft's aggression while also course-correcting some questionable business strategies on the PC side and maximizing focus on the console where it should be. For this I think next year will be telling as to the future of the division and if Sony get things wrong, then we can go on this extreme doom-and-gloom outlook.

But it's too soon for that right now.