Sony's new handheld console?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Sony: Didn't have a 2022 showcase because their 1st party studios didn't have anything ready to show. Had a bad 2023 showcase with bad CG trailers and another Marvel Spider-Man game because their 1st party studios didn't have anything ready to show.

Delusional dudes on a gaming forum: "Yeah, Sony should make a handheld so their overwhelmed 1st party studios have to develop games for three platforms (PS5, PSVR2 and Handheld) because that's what the videogame world needs. Another Vita.
Nintendo, the king of handhelds, stopped making handhelds. But Sony, struggling to have enough 1st party games for their own home-console and VR headset, should totally make another handheld. That will do something! That will do something against a Microsoft with over 20 1st party studios and soon 3 or 4 publishers & Nintendo with some of the biggest gaming IPs in the whole word. Nintendo had no clue what they were doing when they exited the handheld biz. Sony knows it better. Vita 2 please!
Brilliant!"
Dude, don't just outright troll. You know damn well people aren't asking for a separate game library having handheld, in efgect Vita 2. They're still doing PS4 games, ports etc, if not Sony then 3rd parties. Don't waste the man power porting to PC and giving your games to Valve, having a space lacking in the market for Valve to occupy. At least that way the sales go 70-30 for Sony, or re-buys/up-sell on cross gen bundles.

I think I understand the comparison, we'd like a PS4 Nomad in essence? Granted, we'd likely have to accept that as digital only.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
What Sony could do is develop an portable PS5 with a bit lower specs and maybe reduced resolution. Important would be to run PS5 games run natively without cloud as requirement. This would sell a lot. Best timing would be when PS6 releases because I am convinced that PS5 will be a lot longer supported than PS4 and Sony probably do cross-gen. PS5 is an impressive system with unattended potential. PS6 and + a PS5 portable would be perfect.
Mate that'd sell now at PS4 standard. I just don't want to pay over the odds (GPD Win 4) or have half a product (I hate typing Q Lite out. Probably ball it the RPC remote play controller from now on, at least until it has a name)

Perrott

21 Jun 2022
I think they should be able to make an awesome retro handheld that works with a curated selection of PS1, PS2 and PSP games for dirt chip nowadays, which would have the potential to be a pretty cool device.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I think they should be able to make an awesome retro handheld that works with a curated selection of PS1, PS2 and PSP games for dirt chip nowadays, which would have the potential to be a pretty cool device.
If the Q-Lite at least had that I could respect the attempt but I doubt it will even have that.

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
Why don't you refute his points instead of posting stupid gifs? Is it because you can't?
He can't.
My take is literally the first response in this thread, Sony doesn't have enough manpower to support both a handheld and a home console at the same time (plus VR to boot and their one team that does PC ports.)
That's the truth.
Sony doesn't have enough manpower to support their home-console and VR headset RIGHT NOW.
Remember these upcoming big 1st party VR games for PSVR2? Well I don't. Maybe Firewall Ultra, which is pretty much a remaster of the PSVR1 game but as a "complete edition" with better graphics on UE5. That's it.
PS5? What a great 1st party year Sony had/has. MLB The Show and.... Spider-Man 2. The rest were PC ports or DLC.
Microsoft is buying publishers so they can reach their target of releasing 4 big games every year + a few AA games. That's why they keep buying publishers and more indy studios.
Meanwhile Sony always has one good year (2022) followed by one slow/bad year (2023). Because they don't have enough manpower/studios.
They can't support their own home-console and VR headset with enough 1st party content. And then you have these clueless nerds who want another Sony handheld when even Nintendo realized that the mobile-gaming audience moved on to mobile phones, so they had to exit the handheld biz and create a hybrid home-console.
To those of you proposing a handheld PS4. Thats a lot more complex than it sounds. You would need to shrink the internals and figure out a way to do usable battery support. Plus you'd have to have a way to get games on it, either re-optimizing all the games (especially third parties which bloated their crap needlessly in a way Switch never allowed) or having physical carts like Switch did. This will also limit the BC because even with shared accounts tons of people brought their PS libraries physical, with that being the lion's share of the market pre-covid. I also just don't think people will be hyped to buy a new console to play 8 year old games. Even if the games are great, even if there's a ton of them. Its just not how consumers have thought, historically.
It's literally just a small group of people feeling some nostalgia when they think about the old Game Boy, PSP or 2DS days. A Sony handheld in 2023 makes no sense. People are playing on their mobile phones. Sony knows that. Nintendo knows it. That's why Sony created PlayStation Mobile.
A PS5 peripheral like the Q-Lite handheld for remote-play is all you will get because you don't have to develop games for it. It's just another way to play PS5 games.
The handheld era is over. And I love when people bring up the Steam Deck (or ASUS), which literally only sold 3 million units so far. That would be a huge flop for a Vita 2 or Nintendo handheld.
So no, a Sony handheld makes no sense. They are already struggling to make enough 1st party content for the PS5 and PS VR2. Wanna play PS4 or PS5 games in your bed or while you sit on your toilet? Go get the Q-Lite.
Dude, don't just outright troll. You know damn well people aren't asking for a separate game library having handheld, in efgect Vita 2. They're still doing PS4 games, ports etc, if not Sony then 3rd parties. Don't waste the man power porting to PC and giving your games to Valve, having a space lacking in the market for Valve to occupy. At least that way the sales go 70-30 for Sony, or re-buys/up-sell on cross gen bundles.

I think I understand the comparison, we'd like a PS4 Nomad in essence? Granted, we'd likely have to accept that as digital only.
The PC ports strategy isn't "a waste". Stop being all butthurt because a small group of people in the PC community can play some Sony 1st party games. That's literally what your problem is. The same goes for Bryank75. "Oh noes, some PC dudes can play God of War and Uncharted. I don't feel special anymore".
Sony already explained that very small teams at Nixxes are doing these ports. It's not a 30 or 50 dev team working on one port. They're very small teams. So one PC port selling 300k - 1mio copies is already making them some nice profit. It's not a waste at all. Selling a flopping handheld no one wants is literally a L-strategy. See Vita.
Once again: When even Nintendo, the king of handhelds with a ton of successful IPs for handhelds, saw the signs on the wall and bailed out of the handheld biz, .... well then you should know that the handheld era is over.
Nintendo home-console hybrid & PlayStation Mobile = The way to go for both companies.

Last edited:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Porting PS games to PC reaches a new audience. A portable PS4 is most advantageous to people who already built up a *digital* PS4 library since 2013. People like me who mostly own PS4 discs would have to rebuy. Also a portable PS4 is gonna be pretty expensive, definitely not less than $300. So you're selling an premium-priced game console which is effectively at the end of its life at launch. No thanks, Steam Deck please.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
He can't.

That's the truth.
Sony doesn't have enough manpower to support their home-console and VR headset RIGHT NOW.
Remember these upcoming big 1st party VR games for PSVR2? Well I don't. Maybe Firewall Ultra, which is pretty much a remaster of the PSVR1 game but as a "complete edition" with better graphics on UE5. That's it.
PS5? What a great 1st party year Sony had/has. MLB The Show and.... Spider-Man 2. The rest were PC ports or DLC.
Microsoft is buying publishers so they can reach their target of releasing 4 big games every year + a few AA games. That's why the keep buying publishers and more indy studios.
Meanwhile Sony always has one good year (2022) followed by one slow/bad year (2023). Because they don't have enough manpower/studios.
They can't support their own home-console and VR headset with enough 1st party content. And then you have these clueless nerds who want another Sony handheld when even Nintendo realized that the mobile-gaming audience moved on to mobile phones, so they had to exit the handheld biz and create a hybrid home-console.

It's literally just a small group of people feeling some nostalgia when they think about the old Game Boy, PSP or 2DS days. A Sony handheld in 2023 makes no sense. People are playing on their mobile phones. Sony knows that. Nintendo knows it. That's why Sony created PlayStation Mobile.
A PS5 peripheral like the Q-Lite handheld for remote-play is all you will get because you don't have to develop games for it. It's just another way to play PS5 games.
The handheld era is over. And I love when people bring up the Steam Deck (or ASUS), which literally only sold 3 million units so far. That would be a huge flop for a Vita 2 or Nintendo handheld.
So no, a Sony handheld makes no sense. They are already struggling to make enough 1st party content for the PS5 and PS VR2. Wanna play PS4 or PS5 games in your bed or while you sit on your toilet? Go get the Q-Lite.

The PC ports strategy isn't "a waste". Stop being all butthurt because a small group of people in the PC community can play some Sony 1st party games. That's literally what your problem is. The same goes for Bryank75. "Oh noes, some PC dudes can play God of War and Uncharted. I don't feel special anymore".
Sony already explained that very small teams at Nixxes are doing these ports. It's not a 30 or 50 dev team working on one port. They're very small teams. So one PC port selling 300k - 1mio copies is already making them some nice profit. It's not a waste at all. Selling a flopping handheld no one wants is literally a L-strategy. See Vita.
Once again: When even Nintendo, the king of handhelds with a ton of successful IPs for handhelds, saw the signs on the wall and bailed out of the handheld biz, .... well then you should know that the handheld era is over.
Nintendo home-console hybrid & PlayStation Mobile = The way to go for both companies.
clown GIF

CloudStrife

9 Jul 2022
Sony is never going to make a portable that runs anything natively again. Y'all need to realize that. That ship has sailed. You're not gonna get both a high powered console and a native powered handheld form them at the same time. Not even if it's(the handheld) a slightly lower powered PS5 or PS4. Stretching their resources across differently spec'd machines is not ideal. Remote play and cloud is their best route right now. Even if it's not fully mature.....

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sony is never going to make a portable that runs anything natively again. Y'all need to realize that. That ship has sailed. You're not gonna get both a high powered console and a native powered handheld form them at the same time. Not even if it's(the handheld) a slightly lower powered PS5 or PS4. Stretching their resources across differently spec'd machines is not ideal. Remote play and cloud is their best route right now. Even if it's not fully mature.....
Cloud sucks and cloud sucks even more for a portable device. They'll be digging their own grave.

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Why do people continue to think A Playstation handheld would need unique software? It just need to be be able to play every generation of Playstation games natively and allow PS+ downloads.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Why do people continue to think A Playstation handheld would need unique software? It just need to be be able to play every generation of Playstation games natively and allow PS+ downloads.
Except for the current generation.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Because they read only the title and not what people have already posted multiple times. Then they get stuck on defensive mode trying to justify why a proper portable is impossible for Sony but possible to everyone else.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Why would it be excluded? It would complement the home console. It's a shared library

It's not a shared library. There's PS4 library and there's a PS5 library. Many cross-gen games provide both a PS4 and PS5 version, giving you the choice which version you want to play. This is unlike a PC game that can scale from very low settings / resolution to the highest end, unlimited resolution output. PC is one big shared library. Playstation is 7 separate libraries under one brand.

The idea of a portable PS5 right now is pretty much a joke. A portable PS4, if possible, would play PS4 games. If you want Playstation Studios to keep making cross-gen games in perpetuity, beg them to make a portable PS4.

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
It's not a shared library. There's PS4 library and there's a PS5 library. Many cross-gen games provide both a PS4 and PS5 version, giving you the choice which version you want to play. This is unlike a PC game that can scale from very low settings / resolution to the highest end, unlimited resolution output. PC is one big shared library. Playstation is 7 separate libraries under one brand.

The idea of a portable PS5 right now is pretty much a joke. A portable PS4, if possible, would play PS4 games. If you want Playstation Studios to keep making cross-gen games in perpetuity, beg them to make a portable PS4.
Such short-sightedness lol. It is a shared library. It's called the PlayStation ecosystem. Some of us have PS1 - PS5 + PSP / Vita games in our digital libraries.... Is that not a shared library? It's simply a better alternative to remote play...giving people the option to game wherever they want natively.

And don't worry it wouldn't compromise the PS5... It would aid it and definitely draw in some Nintendo-esque casuals if done right... Especially in Japan.

• haha
Reactions: Zzero

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Such short-sightedness lol. It is a shared library. It's called the PlayStation ecosystem. Some of us have PS1 - PS5 + PSP / Vita games in our digital libraries.... Is that not a shared library? It's simply a better alternative to remote play...giving people the option to game wherever they want natively.

And don't worry it wouldn't compromise the PS5... It would aid it and definitely draw in some Nintendo-esque casuals if done right... Especially in Japan.

PS4 is not compatible with PS5, PS3 or Vita.