Sony’s New Marketing & PR Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

LED

Twitter Legend
26 Jun 2022
I’ve been waiting for so long to discuss this topic & hear others’ thoughts about their new strategy that they’ve been executing since roughly around 2020.

I myself feel like it could be done better than what we’re seeing now, looking back at Sony’s 2021 September event, even after announcing Spider Man 2 & Wolverine, you still feel like they were holding a lot of games close to their chest, it’s almost been a year since that event, I hope we don’t get another 2021 event for this year, also this long eerie wait for GOWR makes me think either the game isn’t ready for 2022 or Sony just doesn’t know if they want to release it this year because they haven’t been releasing games in Oct/Nov/Dec for so long now (except PS5 launch year).

In this Social media era, you get to see so much information on what’s happening almost every second, Xbox is doing it so well & has adjusted to that exceedingly well, you would think that with Microsoft’s leaks and announcements almost every week and with Sony’s complete silence would make Sony looking doubtful and afraid of their own shadow at times, I think Sony should adjust to this new rapid wave, they’ve been way more quiet than in the PS4 generation.

Last edited:

Theap99

Banned
21 Jun 2022
It's incredibly annoying! They don't give us anything to look forward to ever! At least one time a year there should be an annual event for upcoming games. We have no idea what the 2023 lineup & beyond is at this point

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Just wanted to add.... Colin M, on his podcaast said that Sony PR are very controlling and one woman there in particular. Like overbearing, so executives couldn't say anything, it is all planned out and highly sanitized.....

That is why I think it feels PS leadership is so so distant from us fans.
They have a huge wall between them and us in terms of the control PR has over them.

I also think they are now over reliant on data and analysis, rather than vision and catering to their audience that they have been building for nearly 3 decades.
An audience that loves single player games, quirky games, Japanese games etc..... and buying their games.

Yet somehow they keep chasing what Xbox is doing, they chase trends long after they are played out...like mobile gaming and GAAS..... Fortnite is already a thing, the chances of making a game that big again are absolutely tiny.

It's also obvious that Jim is not a gamer and I would like to see him retire sooner than later and someone like Shu or Scott Rohde take over.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sony’s complete silence would make Sony looking doubtful and afraid of their own shadow at times, I think Sony should adjust to this new rapid wave, they’ve been way more quiet than in the PS4 generation.
The absolute silence is so tiresome. That's why they have so many leaks and fake insiders. They don't announce anything themselves. They let Jason and Tom do it for them 🙄

I think their marketing in general sucks too. Like Returnal won tons of awards and they didn't create a new updated trailer or a BAFTA winner badge on the store like Hellblade did. Not even a big sale or a relaunch for Extra.

They drop the games and then they do zero marketing. TLOU1 part 1 was announced and they forgot about it already. Cheapest marketing budget ever for a company. Indies get more.

Tom will leak the GOW stuff instead. Good job Sony!

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The absolute silence is so tiresome. That's why they have so many leaks and fake insiders. They don't announce anything themselves. They let Jason and Tom do it for them 🙄

I think their marketing in general sucks too. Like Returnal won tons of awards and they didn't create a new updated trailer or a BAFTA winner badge on the store like Hellblade did. Not even a big sale or a relaunch for Extra.

They drop the games and then they do zero marketing. TLOU1 part 1 was announced and they forgot about it already. Cheapest marketing budget ever for a company. Indies get more.

Like making an amazing Michelin star meal and serving it in a Happy Meal box.... it's so stupid to me.

Deleted member 131

Retired Athlete
VIP
28 Jun 2022

Its back nevermind

And good for the leakers

Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
In this Social media era, you get to see so much information on what’s happening almost every second, Xbox is doing it so well & has adjusted to that exceedingly well, you would think that with Microsoft’s leaks and announcements almost every week and with Sony’s complete silence would make Sony looking doubtful and afraid of their own shadow at times, I think Sony should adjust to this new rapid wave, they’ve been way more quiet than in the PS4 generation.
Sure, Jan

Deleted member 38

is unimpressed
21 Jun 2022
I wonder if Sony's competitor lack of games didn't make them complacent. At this point, they can keep silent because they know that when they'll drop the bomb everybody and their aunt will lose their mind.

It might have been better from a marketing standpoint, at least, for Sony to have had real competition, keeping them on their toes. From a consumer perspective also.

Three

24 Jun 2022
Sure, Jan

The only interest it got was with a delay? Man and I thought the surge in interest before was the sudden acquisition announcement that it could be exclusive.

Keep in mind though this doesn't tell you anything about interest in playing. I imagine some people are playing God of War 2018 and doing searches while playing (it's on the PS+ collection too) but nobody is randomly searching Starfield.

Deleted member 131

Retired Athlete
VIP
28 Jun 2022
The only interest it got was with a delay? Man and I thought the surge in interest before was the sudden acquisition announcement that it could be exclusive.

Keep in mind though this doesn't tell you anything about interest in playing. I imagine some people are playing God of War 2018 and doing searches while playing (it's on the PS+ collection too) but nobody is randomly searching Starfield.
Very true this search likely includes all the God of War games

Not saying Stafield will be bigger than the next GOW its just likely these search results are skewed

Reactions: Cragarmi and LED

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

I think you're looking at this from the wrong perspective. Marvel, for example, has been moving their trailer releases closer and closer to the actual release date. It was 6 months at one point, now it's usually less than 4, and with Thor Love and Thunder, I believe it was less than 3. Marketing is evolving.
also this long eerie wait for GOWR makes me think either the game isn’t ready for 2022 or Sony just doesn’t know if they want to release it this year because they haven’t been releasing games in Oct/Nov/Dec for so long now (except PS5 launch year).

The game was certified in Korea months ago. This means the game release is occuring shortly, since the certification must follow the content of the game. They are likely just finishing the polishing stage and on track to release before end of year.

OP
OP
LED

LED

Twitter Legend
26 Jun 2022
Sure, Jan

What does that have to do with Sony not dropping as much information as they should do? We know GOWR has a lot of hyped fans behind it, much more than anything from Bethesda (except maybe the Elder Scrolls games which come out once a decade), this isn't even the topic I'm discussing. 💀

Reactions: Deleted member 38

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Very true this search likely includes all the God of War games

Not saying Stafield will be bigger than the next GOW its just likely these search results are skewed

You can compare both brands, see how awful Sony marketing is and how amazing the Xbox marketing is. PS is over 2X higher than Xbox, like the sales of the previous gen:

image.png

What does that have to do with Sony not dropping as much information as they should do? We know GOWR has a lot of hyped fans behind it, much more than anything from Bethesda (except maybe the Elder Scrolls games which come out once a decade), this isn't even the topic I'm discussing. 💀
It's another example that shows that the "Xbox is doing it so well & has adjusted to that exceedingly well, you would think that with Microsoft’s leaks and announcements almost every week and with Sony’s complete silence" narrative is not only totally false (Sony annouces and releases more exclusives than MS), but that the facts show that supposed difference in marketing isn't so benefitial for MS

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
They seem to do the Nintendo thing now. Stay quiet and digital reveals close to release.

I’m not crazy about it but it’s better than fake trailers, gameplay footage and games that never actually see light of day.

Deleted member 131

Retired Athlete
VIP
28 Jun 2022
To add to my previous post - I don't see the point in announcing a game 7 or 8 months ahead. 3 months is more than enough.
I dunno I was pretty hyped to see Spiderman 2 and Wolverine in last years showcase

I like seeing how games come along if its a game I am interested in

I love updates what the team is up to even if the are good and bad, it interests me

Status
Not open for further replies.