Sony’s New Marketing & PR Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
24 Jun 2022
My problem with Sony looking at wider market trends is that they become too focused on markets that are already served and satiated.

They may be just throwing money into a pointless endeavor, when they could be making AAA single player almost an entire monopoly for themselves...

At the end of the 8th generation, almost nobody had interest in making single player story games to the AAA standard of Sony, with a handful of exceptions that release maybe 1 in an entire generation.... like Rockstar, CDPR and Rocksteady. (In the west)

They should have just locked some of the remianing studios down and they would have basically won in my opinion.

This is definitely an interesting point worth bringing up; sometimes solidifying a niche to its absolute peak can pay off. You'd think Sony's strategy, ahead of going with live-service GaaS games, would've been to capitalize on the Marvel stuff. Which we're seeing partially with Spiderman 2 and Wolverine, but what if they went even further with say a Doctor Strange game from Naughty Dog, or an X-Men game from Guerrilla Games with some futuristic Savage Lands arc crossover with Horizon universe. Pretty sure stuff like that could do Spiderman numbers quite easily.

But I guess it's a twofold issue there. The first is budgets, meaning for any of those kind of games it might mean we don't get a new Uncharted, or maybe even another God of War, at least for a while. The other is tying themselves too deep with licensed IP they wouldn't technically own, which could make them too vulnerable down the road.

If there were a way Sony could get the budgets for these AAA single-player story-centric blockbusters, we'd see them pushing a lot further in that direction. Unfortunately I don't know if there is an easy way to do that, therefore them doing more live-service GaaS titles, that have way cheaper budgets and potentially as much if not more revenue/profit margins, seems like the immediate answer they have to try managing increasing budgets for the Horizons, GoWs, TLOUs, GoTs, Spidermans etc.

I don’t like it.
Yes Playstation has become more and more popular, but I miss the days of e3 and TGS. Where I knew when I was getting my future Playstation news

For me the failure of SGF really just shows why we still need E3. SGF this year felt like a regression, I don't get how that happens. More power to Geoff to make it a big thing but they still have a ways to go.

But yeah, I also just miss everyone being under one roof. In a way I think that helped cut down on the fanboy/fangirl toxicity since for at least one point in the year, at the biggest event, you had all kinds of gamers mingling together just trying out all the hot new games, or watching all the conferences. You still get that in parts but it's not enough to offset the insular echo chamber bubbles you can find online in places like Twitter.

Another thing, maybe it's just me seeing it this way but stuff like E3 I think also drove companies to bring their A game each and every time. No "holding stuff back", no lack of urgency: you had E3 and then maybe TGS, and that was basically it for the big boy shows. Two times the whole year to get your message out there. It forced everyone, especially platform holders, to put on some damn good shows.

And, yeah, it was also good for the memes. I loved the embarrassing moments and companies pwning other companies. "This is how you share games.", Konami's infamous E3 fail, the Wii Music one with the drummer, "Riiiiiidge Racccccerrrrrrr!!", "Giant enemy crabs", "$299", etc. Epic moments where you know ALL eyes were on them gaming-wise and even from non-gaming outlets. It just doesn't have the same punch with the way things are being done now, I kinda feel bad for the younger Gen Z gamers just coming into teenager/young adult years in a post-E3 world. They'll never know what they missed out on.

If you stop and think about it for a second : why would any company build up hype and demand, for a product that's sold out as soon as they're made! Demand currently far exceeds supply.

Sony's strategy is perfectly fine. They'll do a full showcase once there's a bigger influx of PS5 available to ship. That'll be mid to end of summer.

They only need 3 months of prerelease marketing push for GoWR, and everything points to it releasing in November this year.

They can do their big show in July or even August. Show off big first party exclusives and third party games where they have a marketing deal (Avatar, Hogwarts, Callisto Protocol, etc.)

If anything like the previous years they'll likely (hopefully) have a big Showcase in September where they can show off Ragnarok, possibly show off some gameplay of Spiderman 2 (if it's coming 2023), maybe some expansion content for GT7, some gameplay for Factions, etc. and that's just WRT 1P content.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If anything like the previous years they'll likely (hopefully) have a big Showcase in September where they can show off Ragnarok, possibly show off some gameplay of Spiderman 2 (if it's coming 2023), maybe some expansion content for GT7, some gameplay for Factions, etc. and that's just WRT 1P content.
They could announced there the next Bungie IP annuncement (they plan to release "at least one" before 2025) and include there the PSVR2 release date and price plus some PSVR2 games more in addition to announce some cool games coming to PS+.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Sesame Street Reaction GIF by Muppet Wiki

You're literally a muppet Jim!

muppets GIF

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
I’ve been waiting for so long to discuss this topic & hear others’ thoughts about their new strategy that they’ve been executing since roughly around 2020.

I myself feel like it could be done better than what we’re seeing now, looking back at Sony’s 2021 September event, even after announcing Spider Man 2 & Wolverine, you still feel like they were holding a lot of games close to their chest, it’s almost been a year since that event, I hope we don’t get another 2021 event for this year,
The pandemic could have wreck their master plan. + if I remember correctly there was a massive restructuring inside playstation's marketing/PR and there was the Shaw Layden vs Jimbo Ryan gossip. So, what I am trying to say is:

This current PR/Marketing strategy could be a transition period.

also this long eerie wait for GOWR makes me think either the game isn’t ready for 2022 or Sony just doesn’t know if they want to release it this year because they haven’t been releasing games in Oct/Nov/Dec for so long now (except PS5 launch year).
I think the concept of holding back finished games is a myth. Companies want to released games ASAP. I think they really want to be 100% sure the game is releasing when they say is going to be released + marketing/PR costs and planning.

In this Social media era, you get to see so much information on what’s happening almost every second, Xbox is doing it so well & has adjusted to that exceedingly well, you would think that with Microsoft’s leaks and announcements almost every week...

In general I agree. But sometimes too much talk can bite you in the ass.

and with Sony’s complete silence would make Sony looking doubtful and afraid of their own shadow at times, I think Sony should adjust to this new rapid wave, they’ve been quieter quiet than in the PS4 generation.
There is definitively a general sentiment that Sony is being quite/coy and therefore there is ton of speculation.

But let's not forget that Sony has their fair share of leaks/rumors form those clowns.

1. Silent Hill/Abandoned circus.
2. A Big acquisition(they say Square Enix)
3. Blood borne 2.
4.killzone vr?
5.socom.

EDIT:
6. New Uncharted game
7. Death stranding 2

Personally, I agree to some extent with what you are saying. I feel Sony is getting these megatons ready to emulate or replicate that epic E3 2016. (Or at least this is what I hope).

Last edited:

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The pandemic could have wreck their master plan. + if I remember correctly there was a massive restructuring inside playstation's marketing/PR and there was the Shaw Layden vs Jimbo Ryan gossip. So, what I am trying to say is:

I think the concept of holding back finished games is a myth. Companies want to released games ASAP. I think they really want to be 100% sure the game is releasing when they say is going to be released + marketing/PR costs and planning.

There is definitively a general sentiment that Sony is being quite/coy and therefore there is ton of speculation.

But let's not forget that Sony has their fair share of leaks/rumors form those clowns.

3. Blood borne 2.
4.killzone vr?
5.socom.

EDIT:
6. New Uncharted game
7. Death stranding 2

Personally, I agree to some extent with what you are saying. I feel Sony is getting these megatons ready to emulate or replicate that epic E3 2016. (Or at least this is what I hope).

Oh how I wish some of these things (Most of them) were true...

A Square or Capcom buyout, A BB exclusive remake or sequel, Socom, DS2...... they would be just incredible for me.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I am so tired. My work sucks recently and every day I am coming home and keep refreshing and nothing ever happens.
No news ever, no games. what is going on

I think we are all asking the same questions as you Rofif!

Reactions: rofif

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I think we are all asking the same questions as you Rofif!
seriously. All we ever get nowadays are rumors from insiders that do not even come true lol.
All the way since abandoned last year. My balls are purlple. not even blue !
Elden Ring is not enough for whole year. Especially not without a promise of anything else

OP
OP
LED

LED

Twitter Legend
26 Jun 2022
seriously. All we ever get nowadays are rumors from insiders that do not even come true lol.
Elden Ring is not enough for whole year. Especially not without a promise of anything else
Off-topic, Rofif I always like to read your comments on so many threads that you post on, I agree with almost all of them, just wanted to tell you this, I appreciate your inputs.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It's more important for Sony to be "allies" than to promote their games. A week of fighting dick pics on Twitter instead 🤡

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: LED and rofif

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022

3. Blood borne 2.
4.killzone vr?
5.socom.

EDIT:
6. New Uncharted game
7. Death stranding 2

I mean that approach is fine as a defined decision, but then it feels like half the things they faff on about are also on some combination of pc/switch/XB, so it nullifies the pomp and circumstance. These platforms gonna get the game too? And these guys made the game. So... Why you tossing yourself off like you did something?

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I honestly don’t think Sony has changed.

After the TLOU2 leak disaster they are being extra secretive and cautious.

Just making sure it doesn’t happen again.

D

Deleted member 140

For my part, I like Sony's approach from the past years. They show their games when they are in a late stage, with significant and meaningful presentations. When they show it, I know that the final game will actually look like what I've seen, maybe even look better. Which makes me even more excited for their games! 😺

While many other publishers show pre-rendered videos or fake gameplay many years before the release, which I find to be disingenuous.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I think Sony are deaf, or playing a risky game of tortoise and the hair.

Everyone said buy X Company they make games on your platform we like. They're your 2nd party. They're the PS experience. Some happened like Housemarque. Others didnt like Supermassive and recieved funding/shares bought by others elsewhere, lessening the probability of owning them and beefing up their abilities afterwards, but at least they're multiplatform. ReadyAtDawn are just FB's now, for example, and that's the worst outcome.

They dont seem to be moving quick enough to shore-up their advantageous relationships, let alone go shopping on a grand scale.

24 Jun 2022
They could announced there the next Bungie IP annuncement (they plan to release "at least one" before 2025) and include there the PSVR2 release date and price plus some PSVR2 games more in addition to announce some cool games coming to PS+.

Oh yeah PSVR2 will definitely be there, there's no way it can't. They can maybe announce VR support for GT7 there, too, roll it out when PSVR2 releases. I wonder if they have a new Astrobot game in development for VR, as well.

Personally for PS+ I would just like to hear of a lot more PS1 & PS2 games coming to the service with trophy support. Some of my personal favorites like Tekken 3, UmJammer Lammy, Tomba! 1 & 2, Einhander, Parasite Eve etc. If any of those could include English translations of Japan-only releases, that'd be even more great.

3. Blood borne 2.
4.killzone vr?
5.socom.

EDIT:
6. New Uncharted game
7. Death stranding 2

Nah I gotta credit Norman Reedus with DS2 😏.

Also okay, maybe the insiders knew a few things there, too 👍

I think Sony are deaf, or playing a risky game of tortoise and the hair.

Everyone said buy X Company they make games on your platform we like. They're your 2nd party. They're the PS experience. Some happened like Housemarque. Others didnt like Supermassive and recieved funding/shares bought by others elsewhere, lessening the probability of owning them and beefing up their abilities afterwards, but at least they're multiplatform. ReadyAtDawn are just FB's now, for example, and that's the worst outcome.

They dont seem to be moving quick enough to shore-up their advantageous relationships, let alone go shopping on a grand scale.

I think they are actively looking into acquisitions but usually we don't hear about these until the details are already set between companies behind closed doors and they make the public announcement. Which is partially why even though I think Sony might actually be looking into Square-Enix, that isn't just because some insiders are speculating it.

It's because that as a target for them simply makes a lot of sense, given how close they have been for decades, and what they both could bring to each other by securing a guaranteed partnership (unfortunately since acquisitions are such a thing right now, if SE got acquired by another company it could jeopardize that type of working relationship they have with a company like Sony).

We are usually the last ones to know and it's right at the moment the buyer makes the announcement themselves. But, if Sony actually are locking things down with SE or some other company(ies), we'll probably hear about it in September or around that timeframe. I think that's when we found out about one of their other acquisitions, right?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I'll take the Japanese interm who accidentally leaked BluePoint's Welcome To The Family over Sony's marketing team anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.