Sony’s New Marketing & PR Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Another missed opportunity is Demons Souls Remake. After all the hype about Elden Ring they never did anything to capitalize on it. Like a big promo with a new trailer "the game that started it all" etc. It takes zero effort, youtube is free.

They suck.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Sesame Street Ugh GIF by ABC Network
To be fair to me, the original shrug gif had jim's glasses, suit and hair. *chef's kiss*

Absolutely seared into mental memory/association.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Jim Ryan

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Another missed opportunity is Demons Souls Remake. After all the hype about Elden Ring they never did anything to capitalize on it. Like a big promo with a new trailer "the game that started it all" etc. It takes zero effort, youtube is free.

They suck.

This is actually a very good point. Their videos get millions of views, just imagine the scenes on social media if sony released a 30 second clip with just "the game that started it all. Play it now on PS5".

Boom.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I also think they are now over reliant on data and analysis, rather than vision and catering to their audience that they have been building for nearly 3 decades.
An audience that loves single player games, quirky games, Japanese games etc..... and buying their games.
I recall a point in my life where I ended up getting a PS3 mainly because I took notice that most of the games I actually played and enjoyed were either Sony platform exclusives or made by some studio that belong to Sony.

Becoming a fan is not about the logo, it's something I realized after many years.
It's also obvious that Jim is not a gamer and I would like to see him retire sooner than later and someone like Shu or Scott Rohde take over.
I love Shu, and I find it sad that he is not as much in the spotlight as he was around the PS4 launch!
Yet somehow they keep chasing what Xbox is doing, they chase trends long after they are played out...like mobile gaming and GAAS..... Fortnite is already a thing, the chances of making a game that big again are absolutely tiny.
Yeah, this is the part I don't get... chasing the loser is probably not a good strategy.

I hate the social media presence based strategy MS has, but this is the part I think keeps them afloat in the gaming space... Sony's PR model is probably dated for today's short attention span audiences. I can't want for the autumn when MS starts their GP push with the next Forza title and one of two "amazing GP games" that the influencers can use in list wars to give the impression that their platform is somehow leading in terms of content.

SSfox

Enter The Fox
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Moses
Honestly i have no problem if they want to be silent, cause if they have nothing to say then better not say and keep on working on your stuffs. It's all in the next show and that's where i will make jugements personally. We will see. They don't have to open their mouths ever 2 seconds, as long as they'll bring the real shit in the events / show.

Reactions: Umar

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
This is actually a very good point. Their videos get millions of views, just imagine the scenes on social media if sony released a 30 second clip with just "the game that started it all. Play it now on PS5".

Boom.
I think that might have felt really tacky just to sell some few hundred more game licenses. Or I don't know it seems like a desperate move more than true marketing with a vision... but that's just me

• sad

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
yeah they wouldn't want to step on BAMCO's toes by trying to push a few more copies of a very similar game. would have been a bad look.

• sad

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I think that might have felt really tacky just to sell some few hundred more game licenses. Or I don't know it seems like a desperate move more than true marketing with a vision... but that's just me
That's one way of viewing things, but while I understand and somewhat agree with PlayStation's overall marketing, they lack in the engagement department.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
You can compare both brands, see how awful Sony marketing is and how amazing the Xbox marketing is. PS is over 2X higher than Xbox, like the sales of the previous gen:

image.png

It's another example that shows that the "Xbox is doing it so well & has adjusted to that exceedingly well, you would think that with Microsoft’s leaks and announcements almost every week and with Sony’s complete silence" narrative is not only totally false (Sony annouces and releases more exclusives than MS), but that the facts show that supposed difference in marketing isn't so benefitial for MS
Google search means nothing. This can be the big playstation fanbase trolls on the internet who are typing xbox.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Google search means nothing. This can be the big playstation fanbase trolls on the internet who are typing xbox.
Google searches (which also include youtube) comparisions are one of many marketing sources to gauge interest and awareness of a brand. But I realized that I didn't selected the consoles properly but instead I had "search terms" which includes many noise from unrelated stuff.

Proper numberes of Youtube and web searches of the last year. The effect of the Xbox summer showcase can be seen there:
image.png

image.png

This time since a couple years ago, starting some months before its launch:

image.png

image.png

These 3 peaks are the PS Showases of June and September 2020 and the console launch. Pretty likely another PS Showcase with several big announcements (plus obviously getting rid of supply issues) would spike interest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.