Sony’s stock value drop by about $10b after lowering PS5’s sales forecast for the fiscal year, analysts question near decade-low profit margin

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Yes, we've already seen the "excellent" sales figures on PCs...

And from my personal observations, the gaming market in my country is doing quite poorly, and PCs are strongly dominating, as well as PC piracy. Compared to Poland, it's barely alive now, and the situation has deteriorated a lot since the russian war.

But since 2014, despite all the economic factors, PS4 has been gaining popularity (it's the first official console from Sony) and gradually taking over the market.

Even I bought my own PS4 in 2019, and started buying old and new releases (I used to borrow the console for the weekend), and then I started talking to other people who also had PS4s.

Now, those who even now have the opportunity to buy new releases for the PS5 are not doing so actively because they have lost trust in Sony. Many loyal users who started with PS 1\2 (these consoles were hacked, with pirated games, but there were no other options then), say outright that they keep PS5 for certain interesting releases and look towards PC or SteamDeck. And this started after the PC ports, talk of GaaS, and even the Days Gone story.

I also have a PS5, and I now agree with their opinion.

Judging by the sentiments I've seen online, from users in Poland, the US, and Japan, similar sentiments are now appearing in the major gaming markets themselves, and this is not a 3rd world problem.

And for this, it was necessary to destroy the legacy of the PS4?
You mean to tell me there is PIRACY on consoles? Icon Era told me only PC is riddled with criminals stealing games. I guess Sony shouldn't put games on PC or Playstation if everyone is just going to steal them!

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The big increase in revenue but drop in profit is a big yellow flag…

I said that on the day.

In a simple analogy is like somebody doing overtime the whole quarter (producing more) but receiving a lower salary than if he didn’t do overtime 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Airbus and Luffy123

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
You mean to tell me there is PIRACY on consoles? Icon Era told me only PC is riddled with criminals stealing games. I guess Sony shouldn't put games on PC or Playstation if everyone is just going to steal them!
Piracy on consoles is way harder than on PCs, and that's an understatement. On PC you can literally go to a website, grab a repack, install and play. On consoles, when they are jailbroken properly, you have to go through hoops, not update your console, and pray that shit works. AFAIK at least the PS5 hasn't been exploited in such a way that allows for pirated games.

But you know this, and you just want to troll

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Not sure if addressed, why the low profit margin? Re-investment? Amortising capital purchases like studios??
Probably all of that but most of all probably all the costs associated with canceling the last of factions. That’s probably 300 million right there.

Reactions: Shmunter

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
The big increase in revenue but drop in profit is a big yellow flag…

I said that on the day.

In a simple analogy is like somebody doing overtime the whole quarter (producing more) but receiving a lower salary than if he didn’t do overtime 🤷‍♂️
It doesn't work like that. If last year revenue was 7bill and 2 billion profit. And this year is 10bil revenue and a billion profit. The latter is better by a lot

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It doesn't work like that. If last year revenue was 7bill and 2 billion profit. And this year is 10bil revenue and a billion profit. The latter is better by a lot
Not really. More revenue with less profit, in a time where no substantial investment is being made, is terrible. It basically shows that your profitability margins are in the gutter, which is what shareholders care about.

Reactions: ethomaz

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023

No, because with the economy as is and interest rates as is, profit becomes much more important.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Hardware is a low margin business. Software is where the profit is.
Yes, with a few exceptions console maker business always has been like that: they sell the console at a loss (at least during ealy years) but they compensate it selling (mostly 3rd party) softare for it. Games, addons and in recent years game subs.

There are a few exceptions of consoles or portables hardware that has been profitable since launch.

Breath of the Wild had a team of 900, and by Nintendo's own admission, needed 2m sales to break even. At $60, that's roughly $120m.... with 900 employees. Meanwhile Guerilla had 300 devs and Horizon Forbidden West cost $240m USD, Naughty Dog also had around 300 devs and TLOU2 cost $220m to make.

Nintendo had 3x the headcount and still half the budget!
No.

Horizon Zero Dawn: 2,140 people (1,915 professional roles, 225 thanks) with 2,247 credits.
Horizon Forbidden West: 3,446 people (3,367 professional roles, 79 thanks) with 3,628 credits.

Breath of the Wild: 946 people (914 professional roles, 32 thanks)
Tears of the Kingdowm: 1,408 People (1,148 developers, 260 thanks)

Around twice the size, around twice the budget.

In AAA games the lead dev studio provides around 10% of the total amount of people who works in the game. Most of the workers are from support/oursourcing dev teams, and there are a ton of people from the publishing side (Q&A, localization, PR, marketing, support, sales..). In the case of Sony games they have actors for motion capture and voice over of many characters localized to many languages.

In any case, these Zelda games are not representative of the manpower behind most Nintendo games, which normally are way smaller. See this other example:

Super Mario Wonder: 435 People (399 developers, 36 thanks)

With Xbox kinda going Multiplatform and rumours showing Nintendo releasing in 2025, which GTA6 releases on PS5.
There value should be going up not down.
The gaming market revene got stagnant in 2023 when until covid was growing every year, and this made PS underperform in the most recent quarter not reaching their projections. That caused a smaall drop in the stock, it's normal.

It will recover, specially when they post positive news (thing like Helldivers 2 sales or revenue and probably their acquisition, or the fiscal year numbers.

Ever since more pc port ps5 sales seems to slow down i wonder why:unsure:
Not true, PS5 sales kept growing and if didn't sell more was due to covid/lack of components preventing them from manufacturing more hardware.

As Sony said in this report, going forward console revenue sales will continue growing as the, but its yearly hardware sales will start to decrease every year because yearly hardware sales of a console make a curve where during its first half they keep growing and after peaking in the 2nd half they keep decreasing. As Totoki said, the fiscal year that is ending should be the PS5 hardware peak year, and then in the latter half of its lifecycle sales would go gradually down. As always happened.

There's some exceptions where the peak year instead of being the 3rd or 4th has been the 5th, but I'd bet it won't be the case for PS5.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The first is better for any company.
Profit is always the key point in financials.

You are basically killing your business if you start to increase revenue at cost of profit.
Because after some time it will become loses.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
All will be well! I remember when it drop by almost 20bil when Microsoft Announced it was buying abk and ppl were seriously saying it was the end of PlayStation and they could never recover. One thing they need to fix tho is getting a ps ceo who is good on messaging so they can end Hiroki interim asap. The guy really fcking bad at messaging. You shouldn’t say the studios don’t know how to manage money, make sound like u are going day and date or make it sound like ps has no games coming in the next fiscal year. No fcking tact at all. All the 🤡 ps fans who said it was a good thing Jim was leaving and a Japanese ceo would refocus on Japanese games and reopen Japan studio were smoking meth. The same ppl who were cheering him on X are now complaining they don’t want day and date on pc and they don’t want him anymore. This guy did not come up through the ranks from ps. He is not a creative. He sees games as a products before he sees them art. This man is think about reducing cost buy cutting budgets, possibly staff. He is a financial guy and right now he is being groomed for the presidency of Sony, he is coo and he is acting ceo of SIE he’s think about what’s best for Sony group first and ps 2nd. We need a pro-PlayStation ceo who will push back against any drastic cuts that will constrain the ability of PS studios to make the great games we live.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Not really. More revenue with less profit, in a time where no substantial investment is being made, is terrible. It basically shows that your profitability margins are in the gutter, which is what shareholders care about.
I will add more.

If that continue quarter over quarter at some time you won't have profit anymore... just loses.
This information is an important key for the health of a business.

If Sony plan to grow increasing their revenue... they can't do that expending their profit margins.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
I’ll give them the rest of this gen, but by next gen they need a return to form. Lean into some of that classic PlayStation energy. Stop trying to be a PC competitor. Invest in Spyro…man I don’t know! This gen feels like a bust though.

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
There were Chinese NES\Sega Genesis clones, NES clones appeared already in the era of 16bit relevance, and when Genesis clones appeared, the world market already had PS1 and N64.

Cracked PS1s began to appear in droves closer to the release of the PS2, and cracked PS2s were sitting on the shelves around the time of Vice City's release.

Console piracy was relevant until the PS3 era, with the exception of the X360 generation.

And the above is true for the post-Soviet countries of Eastern Europe, where all this was sold in stores in the open, and de facto without prosecution by the law.

I have not come across information that similar things were in the countries of Western Europe and the USA. Similar things have been noticed in the countries of South America and Southeast Asia (especially in Brazil and Vietnam).

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
All will be well! I remember when it drop by almost 20bil when Microsoft Announced it was buying abk and ppl were seriously saying it was the end of PlayStation and they could never recover. One thing they need to fix tho is getting a ps ceo who is good on messaging so they can end Hiroki interim asap. The guy really fcking bad at messaging. You shouldn’t say the studios don’t know how to manage money, make sound like u are going day and date or make it sound like ps has no games coming in the next fiscal year.
Totoki didn't say that. Haters and trolls twisted his words to make them sound like that, as they usually did with Jim Ryan and others.

This man is think about reducing cost buy cutting budgets, possibly staff.
He is a financial guy and right now he is being groomed for the presidency of Sony, he is coo and he is acting ceo of SIE he’s think about what’s best for Sony group first and ps 2nd. We need a pro-PlayStation ceo who will push back against any drastic cuts that will constrain the ability of PS studios to make the great games we live.
He didn't say that at all. He said that people from gaming (applies to everyone, not only Sony) are very creative and passionate about their work but not good at meeting milestones on time and budget, and that they should take more care about it to improve their profitability.

Something true, specially for companies who make bigger games or more new IPs than the average, which is the case of companies like Sony or Ubisoft. But this isn't new, it always has been like that and won't change.

Also, he's only in an interim position, he's only temporally in SIE until they announce the new SIE CEO in April once Jim leaves March 31th. So he won't make any meaningful change.

He also said that he expects that their profitability will start to improve next FY because the costs from recent acquisitions will ease and because of the extra profitability provided by their multiplatform approach (PC, movies/tv show and in the future mobile).

There were Chinese NES\Sega Genesis clones, NES clones appeared already in the era of 16bit relevance, and when Genesis clones appeared, the world market already had PS1 and N64.

Cracked PS1s began to appear in droves closer to the release of the PS2, and cracked PS2s were sitting on the shelves around the time of Vice City's release.

Console piracy was relevant until the PS3 era, with the exception of the X360 generation.

And the above is true for the post-Soviet countries of Eastern Europe, where all this was sold in stores in the open, and de facto without prosecution by the law.

I have not come across information that similar things were in the countries of Western Europe and the USA. Similar things have been noticed in the countries of South America and Southeast Asia (especially in Brazil and Vietnam).
In Spain (and good chunk of Western Europe) the Odyssey, Atari or NES pirate clones were way more popular than the original consoles, which were released here late or not released at all.

PS1, PS2 and Dreamcast were heavily pirated too, in this case with modchips or boot discs to allow to run there pirated copies.

Regarding computers, in all the 8 bit, 16 bit and PC computers always there has been a lot of piracy here too.

In recent years flash carts became a niche for Nintendo portables and retro consoles. Plus most of the talent behind emulators and rom dumping is from Europe.

In the PS1 times on a few cities from Spain the black market of pirate PS1 games became so big that the police made several actions to stop some groups.

Last edited:

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
Those PS5 ports are surely increasing profitability!

I feel like it created a negative effect where people who just didn't want sony's games were just less enticed to buy them even less if they weren't on playstation. I'd
imagine the games sold more on playstation than PC.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
The first is better for any company.
Profit is always the key point in financials.

You are basically killing your business if you start to increase revenue at cost of profit.
Because after some time it will become loses.
Not really. If your revenue is higher than the year before and you still make profits. Therebis absolutely no way less revenue with higher profit is better. That extra cash needs to go somewhere than devaluate

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Piracy on consoles is way harder than on PCs, and that's an understatement. On PC you can literally go to a website, grab a repack, install and play. On consoles, when they are jailbroken properly, you have to go through hoops, not update your console, and pray that shit works. AFAIK at least the PS5 hasn't been exploited in such a way that allows for pirated games.

But you know this, and you just want to troll
Piracy on consoles can pretty much be considered nonexistent compared to piracy on PC.

Reactions: nongkris