Spider-Man 2 has sold more than 2.5 Million copies in first 24 hours

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
TLOU2 was released on 112m of PS4
GOWR was on 117M of PS4 and 30M of PS5

SM2 is just on 47M of PS5
There was not a 117 million PS4 base for Ragnarok? And only 20% of the sales came from PS4 first week.

The install base of PS5 is defiy a factor and that can't be denied. I expect Spiderman 2 to make up a lot of ground this month and next month though.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
There was not a 117 million PS4 base for Ragnarok? And only 20% of the sales came from PS4 first week.

The install base of PS5 is defiy a factor and that can't be denied. I expect Spiderman 2 to make up a lot of ground this month and next month though.

The PS4 has reached 117M at march 31, 2022 so before ragnarok release.

117M is huge. impossible to overlook.

if not, is the 20% for the PS4 version official or not?

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
The PS4 has reached 117M at march 31, 2022 so before ragnarok release.

117M is huge. impossible to overlook.

if not, is the 20% for the PS4 version official or not?
Again you are assuming there was 117 active PS4 users when a lot of the hardcore had already migrated over to PS5 hence PS5 sold majority of the copies.

20% was aggregated based off the sales number we got from certain market splits

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
PS4 sales account for very little of cross generation games.

PS4 is not the deciding factor of a game selling more.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Again you are assuming there was 117 active PS4 users when a lot of the hardcore had already migrated over to PS5 hence PS5 sold majority of the copies.

Assuming all PS4 owners migrated to the PS5, you'd have a total install base of 117M-30M = 87M, or almost double of the install base now.

Reactions: Evilms

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022

I'm not saying there were 117 million active users.

I'm just saying it's worth pointing out that GOW took advantage of 2 consoles PS4 and PS5.
When Spider Man 2 only has the PS5 installebase.

Which is not the same thing, it's factual.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
5 mil in 10 days. @sugarbetik unable to cope with it beating Mario.
vYeiczj.gif

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Assuming all PS4 owners migrated to the PS5, you'd have a total install base of 117M-30M = 87M, or almost double of the install base now.
Well if you chose to look at it that way then fine. Just remember there was never 117 million individual PS4 owners. PS4 software sales for Cross gen games was pretty low in general.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
I know it's hard to draw conclusions from this graph.
But PS4 sales seem to be doing very well, at least until the end of summer 2022.
So to say that PS4 software sales for Cross Gen games were generally quite low is just wrong.

1PMhUFq.jpg

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Well if you chose to look at it that way then fine. Just remember there was never 117 million individual PS4 owners. PS4 software sales for Cross gen games was pretty low in general.

Of course there were not, but we can't pretend 90 or 100M PS users = 47M and call it a day

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Evilms

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Of course there were not, but we can't pretend 90 or 100M PS users = 47M and call it a day
No one is implying that. I simply initially stated there was not 117 million PS4 owners out there when Ragnarok came about... We saw the Splits in different markets and PS5 was the dominant seller

Same got GT7, Horizon.

PS4 padded sales but the rabid buying base just isn't there

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Whether it's 10, 20, 30 or 50% the PS4 has benefited to these games

Spidey 2 doesn't have this opportunity, and has to make do with the PS5 base.

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Nobody is discounting the PS4. The logic was simply flawed. There was never 117 million out in the wild when Ragnarok dropped, which was the crux of the original discussion. Ragnarok had a more aggressive release compared to Spiderman 2, when it came to the PS5 as well.

I'm sure we will see Spiderman 2 sales kick up this month and next month when it also gets the Ragnarok treatment, which it wasn't able to do since it came at a time when they were phasing out stock.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I know it's hard to draw conclusions from this graph.
But PS4 sales seem to be doing very well, at least until the end of summer 2022.
So to say that PS4 software sales for Cross Gen games were generally quite low is just wrong.

1PMhUFq.jpg
Nobody implied that I believe.

What I said about install base is that it doesn't affect know franchise sales like people here wants to say.
People that wants to buy the game will buy the console no matter what.

I have no evidence that a big PS franchise will sell more if released in PS4 and not just PS5.
What have a point is when you have supply issues... so the lack of option to buy a PS5 could harm the sales of a PS5 exclusive.
But being released in PS4 and PS5 won't make that much difference.

What I say is... even if Spider-man 2 was released in PS4 together with PS5 I don't see the sale should be that different from what it is not.
People that wanted to play it and saw no PS4 version ended buying the PS5 bundle.

Quality and others aspects of game interfere more in sales than installbase.
Installbase grows with these game exclusive releases because everybody that will buy the game will have to own a PS5 or buy one.

Ragnarok for example could even sell more if launched today exclusive to PS5... who knows... PS5 was very limited at time.

ForzaJuve

23 Oct 2023
Hilarious how I reveal the ignored posts and it's just a page of people ranting about "gender identity" and "sexual orientation" in video games, when I can count about 3 gay characters in the entire game so not sure where that's coming from. In real world new york you'd see a lot more than 3 gay people lol.

Always makes me laugh when I see people claim to be Playstation fans and not understand that their devs are some of the most inclusive in the industry.

News flash, people other than straight white men exist in the world, we're tired of hearing you neckbeards complain about it whenever a new piece of media comes out.

I'm a brown person and I'm sick and tired of THE MESSAGE. Especially after what I heard about the ending of Spiderman 2, I'm not buying that game. Create your own characters, create your own games, if that message is so important to you, don't put them in a game that's meant for entertainment, not for weirdo social engineering propaganda. As far as I'm concerned, you have the same rights under the law and are even protected classes, so I'm done hearing about people's genitals and sexual identities and colours. I don't care about anything further, I really, really don't.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I'm a brown person and I'm sick and tired of THE MESSAGE. Especially after what I heard about the ending of Spiderman 2, I'm not buying that game. Create your own characters, create your own games, if that message is so important to you, don't put them in a game that's meant for entertainment, not for weirdo social engineering propaganda. As far as I'm concerned, you have the same rights under the law and are even protected classes, so I'm done hearing about people's genitals and sexual identities and colours. I don't care about anything further, I really, really don't.
What did you hear about the ending?

ForzaJuve

23 Oct 2023
What did you hear about the ending?

Pete retires as Spiderman and Miles is replacing him. Also for some reason Mary Jane is running around with an energy gun or something and joining the fight. This is stupid and wrong, Mary Jane is the completely wrong character and Miles Morales isn't Spiderman.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
G
Pete retires as Spiderman and Miles is replacing him. Also for some reason Mary Jane is running around with an energy gun or something and joining the fight. This is stupid and wrong, Mary Jane is the completely wrong character and Miles Morales isn't Spiderman.
Hell, that ugly ginger troll in the games isn’t even Mary Jane. She doesn’t have the looks or personality of the comic version, which is hilarious because the comic Mary Jane was a feminist icon in the 60s and 70s, and a very progressive (in the real meaning) character, a woman who knew she was sexy and found confidence and power in it. For a time, SHE supported Peter Parker financially when he had no steady job!

What they did to her in the Insomniac games is utter shit.

• Shake
Reactions: ForzaJuve