Starfield | Review & Discussion Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lupumSolitarius

8 Jul 2023
Out of curiosity, are there any laser/particle/rail/energy beam kinda weapons in the games, i see so many videos of shotguns and machine guns.
As far as I can tell, on Starfield, there are 3 types of weapons: ballistic(physical), energy(laser) and electromagnetic. They come in either rifle, pistol, SMG, shotgun etc. form(though I haven't seen something like a shotgun laser so far and I've gotten the one EM weapon which was a sort of pistol)

• Informative
Reactions: Sircaw

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
As far as I can tell, on Starfield, there are 3 types of weapons: ballistic(physical), energy(laser) and electromagnetic. They come in either rifle, pistol, SMG, shotgun etc. form(though I haven't seen something like a shotgun laser so far and I've gotten the one EM weapon which was a sort of pistol)
You mean they left something out of your briefing package?

Usually the press kit covers everything they want you to say about the game.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Incredible looking game with ambient occlusion everywhere, yeah?

OxUnCJp.png

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Of course, Which is why I commented earlier that I wish we had hard numbers for gamepass pc, gamepass xbox, xbox pc app sales and xbox console sales as well as Baldur's Gate 3 console players and sales so we could do a proper comparison, but one thing is for sure, I don't think anyone expected a Bethesda game to be below a Indie RPG.
Over 300 staffs.
6 studios.
Initial budget of over $100 million (yeap the final development costs were way higher than that).

It is AAA… there is nothing indie about it.

Plus Baldur’s Gate is more famous than Elders of Scrolls or Fallout. It is basically one of the most famous RPG franchise in the videogame history.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
You need to know how to use a metric properly and compare it to itself for it to mean something.

Most do not. Most interpret concurrent as total users. And then they run with it…

With Starfield’s newest peak that also most likely indicates a greater peak on both Xbox and windows gamepass player pools. Most likely surpassing the previous one million across all platforms. In this instance there might be more players on windows than steam due to gamepass. It’s not like pc users need to switch hardware.

Another bad interpretation is the assumption that late PlayStation ports like god of war don’t do well on pc. Concurrent means far less for single-player games and you can’t gauge total users from it since it’s players on at that very moment or window of time. Single player narrative driven games just take less hours to complete etc… bigger RPGs like Elden ring, bg3 and Starfield accumulate many hours and player overlap just due to the timesink aspects.

God of War has a bigger concurrent than Halo Infinite right now for instance. This indicates consistent sales and new players. These releases on pc are for the most part easy money. This also speaks volumes to how big of a flop infinite is when its seasonal model can’t compete with with a ps4 game from 2018.

BlueLyria

29 Apr 2023
Over 300 staffs.
6 studios.
Initial budget of over $100 million (yeap the final development costs were way higher than that).

Plus Baldur’s Gate is more famous than Elders of Scrolls or Fallout. It is basically one of the most famous RPG franchise in the videogame history.
Larian is a indie studio, there's no arguing BG3 is of triple A quality, but that doesn't put Larian on the same leagues as EA, Activision or Bethesda.

And no, Baldur's gate is not more popular than Fallout and Elder Scrolls, are you smoking crack? Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 released on the late 90s, early 2000s with like 1 or 2 spin offs on consoles, and then it was dead for a long while, it was always part of the conversation of greatest rpgs of all time with Planescape but in no way BG as a series is more popular than Skyrim alone (Well, not anymore since BG3 is so well received)

24 Jun 2022
Most do not. Most interpret concurrent as total users. And then they run with it…

With Starfield’s newest peak that also most likely indicates a greater peak on both Xbox and windows gamepass player pools. Most likely surpassing the previous one million across all platforms. In this instance there might be more players on windows than steam due to gamepass. It’s not like pc users need to switch hardware.

Well here's the problem: since Microsoft provides ZERO numbers, only vague statements, and usually with no stated methodology to whatever metric is being used to provide a given data point. So as far as I'm concerned, Microsoft's statements in terms of player counts are worthless. It's not like investors & shareholders care; Game Pass means absolutely nothing to Microsoft's bottom line and is a non-critical part of the company.

So long as no perceptible downfalls in the important parts of the company occur which could be tied to the service, Microsoft can give any data point with any metric using any methodology and most won't bat an eye.

Another bad interpretation is the assumption that late PlayStation ports like god of war don’t do well on pc. Concurrent means far less for single-player games and you can’t gauge total users from it since it’s players on at that very moment or window of time. Single player narrative driven games just take less hours to complete etc… bigger RPGs like Elden ring, bg3 and Starfield accumulate many hours and player overlap just due to the timesink aspects.

Agreed. Though I think it also suggests that a good portion of the concurrent at any one time, are the same people from previous sessions. Combined with information on how MS counts players as mentioned by @Old Gamer , that could suggest a game like Starfield has a high percentage of customers who are very active with the game, but that total sales or unique players volume is smaller than certain other major releases this year.

God of War has a bigger concurrent than Halo Infinite right now for instance. This indicates consistent sales and new players. These releases on pc are for the most part easy money. This also speaks volumes to how big of a flop infinite is when its seasonal model can’t compete with with a ps4 game from 2018.

No complaints here. But one thing with GOW to keep in mind, it was both a rather big window between PlayStation and PC releases (~ 4 years), but the port for 2018 coincided within ~ 10 months of the sequel, Ragnarok, releasing on PS4 & PS5.

It's a game that perfectly fits all preferred timing criteria for 1P AAA traditional releases between console and PC IMHO. I know Sony will be porting more such games to PC; without their own storefront and launcher on PC to push, this type of approach as demonstrated by GOW 2018 would be the best one to take, to maximize revenue across both streams and not break the knees of console sales early on.

A problem IMO, that we've seen potentially manifest with FF XVI in terms of perhaps less-than-expected PS5 sales because they were already advertising a PC port in the fine print for commercials well before the initial version launched. Whether or not the PC version releases January 2024 isn't important; the fact that was put out there from the jump by Square-Enix in the PS5 marketing was incredibly stupid and muted sales impact of the game on PS5 to some degree.

And that is all 100% on Square-Enix.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Over 300 staffs.
6 studios.

I'd never even heard of baldurs gate till this one came out 🤣

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Larian is a indie studio, there's no arguing BG3 is of triple A quality, but that doesn't put Larian on the same leagues as EA, Activision or Bethesda.

And no, Baldur's gate is not more popular than Fallout and Elder Scrolls, are you smoking crack? Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 released on the late 90s, early 2000s with like 1 or 2 spin offs on consoles, and then it was dead for a long while, it was always part of the conversation of greatest rpgs of all time with Planescape but in no way BG as a series is more popular than Skyrim alone (Well, not anymore since BG3 is so well received)
You can look at any list of greatest RPG of all the time… Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II will be there in the TOP5.

It just not one of most popular… it is one of the most influential RPG of all the time too.

And AAA means game budget… there is no AA or AAA studio… if the game budget is AAA it is AAA.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Starfield is the most boring game I’ve played in years​

Nice title lol

lmao this is the reverse of access journalism. "you won't give me an early review copy? cool, let me amplify every negative story I can find on your product" - very petty lmao.